Micros in trees.

The Schuttes

As far as I'm concerned, ALL EVERGREENS SHOULD BE OFF LIMITS. Here in Colorado it seems like every cache is in a pine or a juniper. The fun-factor is greatly reduced when you know every time you geocache, you're going to come home bloody. I would appreciate the use of some imagination, for a change!

By contrast, suburban East Coast caches are rarely in trees, & I wish there were more. I think there are three types of tree caches. Level 1's can be reached from the ground or just going onto one low branch. Level 2's involve a good active climb. Level 3's call for climbing gear. Give us many more level 2's in the East!

As far as I'm concerned, ALL EVERGREENS SHOULD BE OFF LIMITS. Here in Colorado it seems like every cache is in a pine or a juniper. The fun-factor is greatly reduced when you know every time you geocache, you're going to come home bloody. I would appreciate the use of some imagination, for a change!

By contrast, suburban East Coast caches are rarely in trees, & I wish there were more. I think there are three types of tree caches. Level 1's can be reached from the ground or just going onto one low branch. Level 2's involve a good active climb. Level 3's call for climbing gear. Give us many more level 2's in the East!

By that definition, level 1 and 3s in evergreens I don't like as usually the ones near the ground are a PITA and the others requiring climbing gear causes sap to get all over the rope. The 2s in those trees however are mostly an easy fun climb.

THIS IS A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT. PLEASE PAY CLOSE ATTENTION. NOT ALL EVERGREEN TREES ARE PINES!!! EDUCATE YOURSELVES SO YOU DON'T COME ACROSS AS AN EVERGREEN DUMMY!!

Spruce: notice the short, pointy, pointy needles that go all around the stem and the thin segments to the cone

Balsam Fir (oooh, they smell so sweet and good in the summer heat). Needles like a spruce, except they are on a flat plane and are soft, not prickly:

balsam_fir_branch.JPG

How do you tell the difference between Balsam Fir and Eastern Hemlock. And there are some fir trees that look like spruce trees, or am I wrong about that. I had someone tell me my cache hide on a spruce was actually a fir.

BTW -- the cache I hid on a spruce/fir is a small 14 oz authentic lock & lock, not a micro. Evergreens are great in a cold environment because they don't lose their foliage in winter, and hanging them 3 feet or more above the ground makes the cache winter-friendly.

Edited by Löne R

It isn't that I hate a particular brand of cache, I just ask "Why hide a Micro in a tree." I've been to a couple micro caches where it is a needle in a haystack type thing, and enjoyed the experience, but trees just irritate the heck out of me. Tree sap on my fingers just ruins the experience...

Anybody out there enjoy finding micros in trees? opine please

Why hide a micro in the forest

How about some leather gloves?

I noticed in GA and FL that holly trees are the pine tree hide. Talk about bloody arms..

It isn't that I hate a particular brand of cache, I just ask "Why hide a Micro in a tree." I've been to a couple micro caches where it is a needle in a haystack type thing, and enjoyed the experience, but trees just irritate the heck out of me. Tree sap on my fingers just ruins the experience...

Yah, they suck.

Come pay us a visit in NC. You can double your find count in one weekend just by finding micros in trees, some of them requiring the desired climb for too.

Edited by wimseyguy

I enjoy them more than hide-a-keys under a lampskirt, but less than an ammo can under a pile of stick in the woods.

That pretty much sums up my feelings. I like trees. A lot. If it's a really kewl tree, I might like the cache a lot. Granted, given my particular caching preferences, given two equal trees, I would enjoy an ammo can more than a micro, but a nice tree won't generate nearly as much angst, from me, as a lamp post or a guard rail.

Edited by Clan Riffster

Yah, they suck.

What sucks even more is calling a 15 minute, uphill hike a T-4, and wasting space with a meaningless hint.

I used the term "evergreen" to avoid the notion that I was only concerned with pine trees. I wanted to include the many dioecious conifers, like juniper, as well. Around here, and most of the country, I suspect, junipers are around almost every landscape feature and everyone seems to gravitate toward them for caches. You end up having to pull up, dig through, and crawl under every scratchy one of them anywhere near a GZ. Uuugh!

While in Colorado, a multicache I found took me to the base of a pine tree and the cache size was listed as micro. I groaned because there could be a million places it was at, but it turns out it was a small hollowed out log on the ground by the tree.

Yah, they suck.

What sucks even more is calling a 15 minute, uphill hike a T-4, and wasting space with a meaningless hint.

I guess if you've seen the cache you can question his terrain rating. I have absolutely seen wicked terrain that's T4 even if it's only a 15-30 minute hike ("15-30," not "15").

His hint *may* be meaningless or it may not. You know what it said to me? Look for a fake leech - that would absolutely fit the title & be perfectly meaningful.

In fact, a hint that *seems* meaningless is actually one of the cleverest types of hints!

Because its a (small) improvement on a fake rock hidden in a pile of rocks. Now when I see a pile of rocks I don't even get out of the car. Thats why TPTB invented the ignore list!!!