FTF Hourders

zapfrog

What are people's opinion on this?

The people that wake up at ungodly hours just to clean house on FTF's, whole parks, strings, etc. ....

If you pay for a membership you can set up notifications so that you can properly participate in the FTF fun. Without those notifications you'll be at a disadvantage.

I'd like to see a FTF stat count added to profile pages. That would be sweet :)

There is no way for this site to count them and it's not an official part of geocaching. It's simply a side game played by a small segment. Believe it or not there is a huge number of geocachers who don't give a clam's patootie about FTFs.

There is enough controversy over this silly FTF game now. People whining about others getting too many, or getting them when the park is closed, or CO's who think that FTFs are commodities that can be awarded or withheld for whatever reasons.

Make it an official stat (if it were even possible) and it is recipe for disaster.

I'd like to see a FTF stat count added to profile pages. That would be sweet :)

There is no way for this site to count them and it's not an official part of geocaching. It's simply a side game played by a small segment. Believe it or not there is a huge number of geocachers who don't give a clam's patootie about FTFs.

There is enough controversy over this silly FTF game now. People whining about others getting too many, or getting them when the park is closed, or CO's who think that FTFs are commodities that can be awarded or withheld for whatever reasons.

Make it an official stat (if it were even possible) and it is recipe for disaster.

Yeah. It could be as bad as the find score.

The people that wake up at ungodly hours just to clean house on FTF's, whole parks, strings, etc. It would be cool if it was one or two and left some for others. After all aren't we here to make it fun, help each other out, enjoy each others company?

My other thought is what about the families that want to bring their kids out for FTF's? I don't think the kid is going to wake up at 3am, so the people that plow through FTF's leave nothing for these families.

You obviously don't live anywhere near me. There are folks who have kids and also have quite a few FTF logs. :laughing:

I don't really put any effort into it anymore but I used to do the FTF thing a lot. I'd be miles out of town out by the river, in the rain, snagging a FTF at 11:30 at night when I had to get up at 6:00 the next day. I did most of a series late at night - I think I finished my logs around 2:30 AM or so - when I had to get up by 7:00 and drive several hours the next morning to make it to a Thanksgiving dinner.

If you're nuts enough to do that kind of stuff you deserve the FTF.

I love hearing about actual first to find racers. It's just such a non-issue here. There's a group of people who don't work a lot if at all and are up early in the morning exercising and what not they usually get it by virtue of their lifestyle. They hardly race out to get anything. It's not usual for a cache to sit a couple days before someone logs it just because no one is in the neighborhood at the time.

I don't feel bad at all that I don't get FTF on any caches. I don't have a lifestyle that really is conducive to that. I could have been out at 7am on Sunday looking for a cache but I was enjoying my sleep. And because I slept in I got to trade for a neat piece of swag left by one of the first people to find the cache.

I think the importance one places on FTFs has to do with whether you view geocaching as either 1) a game, or 2) an activity. A game promotes competition while an activity is just for the sake of the activity.

In my area there are generally 3 cachers who claim all the FTFs. . .sure, I hope to get one someday, but I was happy enough to be the third to sign a log recently :laughing:

And adding to the confusion would be cachers like one I know who doesn't claim any FTFs, even if he is FTF. If he happens to find it first he "leaves" the FTF for the next person, not just any FTF prize, but the claim to the FTF too. This can create some strange logs because people don't know if they were really the FTF or not.

I know. 30 is certaintly cheap enough for a membership but at the moment all of our money is going towards starting my business, my wife's business and bills. We're playing the now you see it now you don't with my paycheck.
"Life's full of tough choices, innit?" - Ursula (The Little Mermaid)

If you don't want to play the FTF game, then that's your choice. But if you're going to play the FTF game, then don't complain about those who play it better than you do.

"You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong." - William J. H. Boetcker

I know. 30 is certaintly cheap enough for a membership but at the moment all of our money is going towards starting my business, my wife's business and bills. We're playing the now you see it now you don't with my paycheck.
"Life's full of tough choices, innit?" - Ursula (The Little Mermaid)

If you don't want to play the FTF game, then that's your choice. But if you're going to play the FTF game, then don't complain about those who play it better than you do.

"You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong." - William J. H. Boetcker

Ok you just quoted a little mermaid character and Boetcker in the same post. You must be stopped right away.

And adding to the confusion would be cachers like one I know who doesn't claim any FTFs, even if he is FTF. If he happens to find it first he "leaves" the FTF for the next person, not just any FTF prize, but the claim to the FTF too. This can create some strange logs because people don't know if they were really the FTF or not.

How does he do that, being that it is impossible.

The people that wake up at ungodly hours just to clean house on FTF's, whole parks, strings, etc. It would be cool if it was one or two and left some for others. After all aren't we here to make it fun, help each other out, enjoy each others company?

My other thought is what about the families that want to bring their kids out for FTF's? I don't think the kid is going to wake up at 3am, so the people that plow through FTF's leave nothing for these families.

Most reviewers don't publish caches at 0300h. So the big question is: "If you want a FTF that bad, what the heck were you doing before bed that was so importante that you didn't race out when it was first published?"

The FTF game is a no holds barred affair. Bring your A game or stay home.

FTFs are a limited resource. Regular finds are unlimited.

I've had my share of FTFs now, so I hold back on new caches for at least a few days and let somebody else have the fun.

Somebody getting their first-ever FTF would probably be much happier than I would be getting just one more.

(Unless we're talking about long-unfound FTFs, or "lonely FTFs". I hoard those. Different game.)

Edited by Viajero Perdido

I had 5 1/2 FTF before getting my primium membership. It is harder, but it it doable. You just have to be looking at the correct time. Now only one of these was in the city And I found it at 0200h. Some were in small towns, or mountian tops.

I've had my share of FTFs now, so I hold back on new caches for at least a few days and let somebody else have the fun.

Somebody getting their first-ever FTF would probably be much happier than I would be getting just one more.

(Unless we're talking about long-unfound FTFs, or "lonely FTFs". I hoard those. Different game.)

Love it http://coord.info/GC2C713

You have obviously seen the new Lonely Cache Challange cache. Should be a fun one.

Exactly, which is why it causes confusion.

It's sort of like a co-FTF. Technically, how can that happen unless both people spot it at the exact same second, but usually someone will spot it first.

You have obviously seen the new Lonely Cache Challange cache. Should be a fun one.

OffTopic: See, these "challenge caches" I don't get. To me it just seems like a way to get around the ALR ban. There is a cache to be found, and If I go find it, I should be able to claim it. I don't see why reviewers are letting people get away with publishing them. Now, I'm not going to go through my stats to see if I "qualify" for these cache types, so I'll just ignore them.

OnTopic: I get the publish notifies to my phone, and dependent upon family duties, WILL run to get the FTF. Most of the time, for me, that is after my daughters are in bed. Our reviewers don't have a "set" time they publish. Could be anytime of the day. Matter of fact, I got one last night that was 4 hours old(and 18 miles away), and ran for a close one tonight, but gave up because of muggles and the Packer game start.

The only reason I went for one 18 miles away, is because it took me to an area that I had a nightcache that's been on my watchlist for months. Figured, that's what it took to get me out to finally do the nightcache. Got a FTF out of it too.

I guess I "play" the FTF game, but don't worry too much about it as I gave up on one tonight(would a hardcore FTF'r do that?), and the last 2 I got were 4 and 5 hours old.

That's what makes it so awesome. Puts the whole FTF thing into the proper perspective, IMO.

I don't think the attraction of an FTF is all about the race. Especially for a new cacher, there is something nice about being the first to find a container, and the first to sign a log. It's the only time that the cache is exactly as the owner placed it, and the only time a cacher can know that there is no phone-a-friend or any other help available.

So what if somebody else "left" them the FTF? Who cares? What difference does it make for the experience of being the first person ever to discover something new?

Like caching itself, it's not about the race. It's about the experience. Those who hog all the FTFs are denying others that experience. In my opinion, their attempt to turn an experience (and a fact) into a race has not been a good thing for geocaching as a whole. Pretty churlish.

Ok so if FTFs shouldn't go to the fastest and most dedicated and often most available cache hunters then how do you decide who is entitled to get the FTF? Also, how long are the fastest/dedicated/available cachers expected to restrain their searches? Perhaps they should wait until everyone else who is interested in FTF catches up?

Hold on though, now in that group of not quite as fast FTF hounds, there will still be some people who are getting FTFs faster than others. Should they now be required to stay home as well so that still slower people can get the FTFs to which they are entitled?

My head is starting to hurt here.

OffTopic: See, these "challenge caches" I don't get. To me it just seems like a way to get around the ALR ban. There is a cache to be found, and If I go find it, I should be able to claim it. I don't see why reviewers are letting people get away with publishing them. Now, I'm not going to go through my stats to see if I "qualify" for these cache types, so I'll just ignore them.

2 point to make

Challange caches are defined and alowed in the guidlines. They have to involve Geocaching achievements.

The one I posted is only for caches found after the challange was posted, so no need to go back through your stats. (unless you are a new cacher starting next year, and don't knowtice the challange untill a year after that or something...)

Back on topic, you can not relinquish your claim on FTF and allow the next finder to claim FTF. If you found it first, you are FTF; if you found it second, you are second to find, not FTF.

I am going to take a chance and jump in here before I have even read the replies.

First, you already answered part of your question when you said that they "wake up at ungodly hours". Geeze... if an FTF is so important to you, then you'd better be beating them to the cache, no matter what it takes!! Would you feel good if you were the first to log only because all the others decided to hold off to give you a chance?

But more importantly, MUCH more importantly in my opinion... FTF is NOT a part of this game. It is a figment of a few overactive imaginations. Let it go, and this activity will be much more enjoyable for you.

Like caching itself, it's not about the race. It's about the experience. Those who hog all the FTFs are denying others that experience. In my opinion, their attempt to turn an experience (and a fact) into a race has not been a good thing for geocaching as a whole. Pretty churlish.

I take your point about the FTF experience not being a race for some people but the experience of finding a virgin cache.

But even if I were to agree with your point of view about allowing everyone to have a turn, how on earth would you organise such a system?

You would have to have the agreement of all cachers in an area that when they have had their FTF they will not go for another for a while.

And that would mean lots of cachers having to wait until a new cache has been logged by someone without a FTF before going out to find it themselves.

But what if any of the people who haven't had a FTF (and therefore whose turn it is next) is on holiday for a week when a new cache is published? Everyone else would have to hold back until they returned.

BUT, cachers don't all know each other so it would be impossible to neatly organise themselves this way.

And even if they did they would have a nice little system going which allowed a fair spread of FTFs in their area then someone from out of the area would see a cache unfound for a few days and come and find it - not knowing of the local cachers arrangement.

It's a nice idea (if you think FTF should be divided out equally), but I just can't see how it could ever be organised.

Would be interested to hear proposals on how such a system could possibly work.

But more importantly, MUCH more importantly in my opinion... FTF is NOT a part of this game. It is a figment of a few overactive imaginations. Let it go, and this activity will be much more enjoyable for you.

OMG. You mean I have signed 30 figments of my imagination ? :laughing:

(I do know what you mean really) :D

But FTF is part of the game for some.

In the same way that some have invented various sub games around finding a complete combination of D/T rated caches, or finding a cache in every county, or getting every type of icon.

You get no recognition of any of those achievements in your official GS number counts either, you have to generate those stats yourself to put on your profile.

But some have made these extra aspects part of the game they play.

FTF races are not really that different, and clearly there are a lot of people who do care (one way or another) judging by the way threads on the subject always take off and prompt such a range of views and opinions.

So you could argue that FTF has become part of the game. Albeit an unoffical part.

I don't think the attraction of an FTF is all about the race. Especially for a new cacher, there is something nice about being the first to find a container, and the first to sign a log. It's the only time that the cache is exactly as the owner placed it, and the only time a cacher can know that there is no phone-a-friend or any other help available.

I think this is true. I'm not really into FTFs, but when I get one, it's kind of a cool feeling to know that no one else has found it yet and it's hidden the way the owner wanted it to be found. Sometimes after only a couple finds, the hide has changed quit a bit.

I also like the "social" aspect of meeting up with others on the trail, which doesn't really happen at normal caches but does quite often for FTFs.

I wanted to add that here in CT, there's a "Cachemas" and "Grinchmas" series where one or more caches per day are hidden starting on Christmas and then for the next 12 days.

People go bonkers for these caches and trying for the FTF. What makes it interesting is that the reviewer will release them at all different times each day. You know they're coming but not sure when.

Sometimes it'll come out at 6 in the morning, sometimes noon and sometimes at 1 in the morning. What makes it even more interesting is when the reviewer releases the "normal" caches all together at a certain time but then waits to release the Cachemas/Grinchmas ones.

There is usually someone that goes and gets them no matter when they come out, even if it's at 1:00 a.m., but what people like about them is the social aspect. If it's a cache that's released on a weekend morning, the owner will meet people at the trail with donuts and cocoa. The FTF has likely been claimed, but people enjoy having a FTF party in the parking lot either before or after hiking to the cache.

I also like the "social" aspect of meeting up with others on the trail, which doesn't really happen at normal caches but does quite often for FTFs.

I never really thought about that before, but that's my experience as well. Except in a few special situations (the APE cache during GW8 weekend, etc.), the overwhelming majority of the time that I run into other cachers in the field it's on FTF attempts. A few days ago I met a CO who was hanging out to monitor his first hide.

There is usually someone that goes and gets them no matter when they come out, even if it's at 1:00 a.m., but what people like about them is the social aspect. If it's a cache that's released on a weekend morning, the owner will meet people at the trail with donuts and cocoa. The FTF has likely been claimed, but people enjoy having a FTF party in the parking lot either before or after hiking to the cache.

That sounds like a superb idea. CO presenting donuts on the trail, that would send a cache straight to the top of my favourites list :laughing:

When I've published caches in time-restricted areas, I've sometimes asked the local reviewer to please not publish it until a time when the area is open for activity. If that means that the reviewer might not get to it for a few days (or more), that's totally fine with me. Seems like a small price to pay to reduce the temptation.

An area is Really only Closed if there's a guard for Every enterance to the area. [:laughing:] Of course, if you DO find a way around, it is still the FIRST person to sign the Logbook gets the FTF!!!

The Steaks

P.S. If you Truely HOPE to get that FTF, you need to be available and READY TO CACHE 24/7/365

You obviously don't live anywhere near me. There are folks who have kids and also have quite a few FTF logs. :laughing:

My kids have a lot of FTF's, and they know if they want to get the FTF, they have to get up when the cache is published. We don't do this on school nights, of course, but all other days are open season. The kids choose-stay in bed, or get up for the FTF, but families can and DO get FTFs at times other than the middle of the afternoon.

Well, Caching doesn't have a lot of set rules, so if folks want to go running out at 2 AM there's no law against it. Skippermark was right.......jumping in your fast car to score an FTF on a skirt lifter at Walmart is not a big notch in your belt! At the same time, I have got in the habit of not scoring every FTF when a series pops up in the same park.....it's just common courtesy to leave some for ones fellow cachers, I think. Greed is not good!

You don't always have to rush out for a FTF. I got my first one in Montana - I live in California. The cache had been sitting there for a week before I found it. I got another one near home but I waited several days to give others a chance at it. It was published either on a Saturday or a Sunday night and I think I got the FTF on Wednesday.

I don't really go for the FTF much anymore. I did get a couple fairly recently but I don't have a smart phone and don't have a data plan for the phone I do have so it's much more difficult to get the FTF these days. The FTF usually goes to someone who has an iPhone or other smart phone device whereas I have to get my cache info from the computer. It doesn't bother me at all. The folks with the technology PAY for it and I don't so there's no "unfair advantage" or anything of that sort. It's simply not that important to me to get the FTF anymore.

Heck, I used to have every cache in town found and got the new ones immediately when they were published. These days there are probably well over 100 caches within 5 miles of my house that I haven't looked for. The proliferation of urban caches just really doesn't appeal to me much. I don't like searching for caches downtown where there are a zillion people around or in a bush in front of somebody's house on a cul-de-sac. Those caches just really don't interest me.

But even if I were to agree with your point of view about allowing everyone to have a turn, how on earth would you organise such a system?

Why does considerate behavior require a "system?" Why does the observation that FTF hounds are hurting the game imply the need for more rules? We already have too many rules. A social norm that acknowledges that hogging FTFs is rude would be far more effective.

At least NYPaddle cacher and PackaNack get what I'm trying to say.

Packanack has been wrong before. It was back in 2007 I think. This however is a first for NYPaddlecacher.

Hold on. I'm not quite ready to admit defeat.

The way I figured it is this. I think it's safe to say that the areas where we spend our time geocaching are extremely diverse. Look at the recent thread on cache density and you'll find reports of just a handful of caches withing 10 miles to areas with well over 1000. In the thread that scubasonic started about the number of FTFs he found in a day, several people followed up with incredulity about the number of new caches, and thus the number FTF opportunities, that were available with 20 miles of a location in Washington. I compared the number of new caches in Vancouver to my area and saw about a 20X different in the number of new caches since the beginning of the year. I would further contend, that the number of available caches and the types of caches that are placed in a particular area has a significant impact on how the local geocaching community in that area plays the game, yet there are many in this thread that suggest that there is only one universal way to play the FTF game. All those suggestions come from those that have relatively high FTF numbers in competitive geocaching communities. I think it would be safe to say that the area that I live in does *not* have a competitive FTF community. We don't have large groups of geocachers arriving at GZ within an hour or less in an attempt to get FTF (we don't have a large group of local geocachers in general). We don't have 3-4 FTF hounds that get every FTF. In fact, I can't even think of any one or two geocachers that I could specifically call a FTF hound. While some new caches do get a FTF within a short time of when they are published, there are a lot of them (that are not puzzles, require long hikes or special equipment) that are not found on the first day they're published. The last FTF I got was on a cache that had been out for almost two weeks and it was only .1 of a mile or so from a large public parking lot.

With all the diversity in geocaching throughout the world I'm just not going to be easily convince that there is one universal way to play the game, and that is exactly what some are suggesting.

Why does considerate behavior require a "system?" Why does the observation that FTF hounds are hurting the game imply the need for more rules? We already have too many rules. A social norm that acknowledges that hogging FTFs is rude would be far more effective.

Because no caches would ever be found, everyone would be sat at home saying "After you", "No, please, after you" and everyone would be too scared to go and get it in case they were first and someone labelled them as rude. :laughing:

Anyone who wants a FTF is perfectly able to go and get one. I don't get them all in our area - far from it. I get some, when the timing is right and the location is right and i'm able to get out.

I don't understand how FTF 'hounds' are hurting the game. There are many things that are hurting the game, but people setting out to find a cache before anyone else??? Really?

You either put store and value on the FTF, in which case you are as able to go and get one as everyone else. Or you think it's a load of old nonsense best left to others in which case you can, erm, leave it to others. And it won't interfere with your game one jot.

While I don't necessarily agree with fizzymagic that FTF hounds are hurting the game, I completely agree that the lack of a practical 'system' doesn't have anything to do with it. Norms of what's rude or not doen't require a system of enforcement.

With all the diversity in geocaching throughout the world I'm just not going to be easily convince that there is one universal way to play the game, and that is exactly what some are suggesting.

I may not have entirely understood your point, but I'm hoping I didn't send the signal that my opinion that FTF hounds aren't necessarily hurting the game, means that I think there is one universal way to play. I definitely don't think there is only one way to geocache.

Hogging FTFs is rude? That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on these forums, and I've even read the peanut butter container threads.

The only thing of value that a FTF has is the fact that other people have been trying to get there ahead of you and win the race, but you got there first. Assuming you didn't have an unfair advantage over another cacher, you were able to do something that they were trying to do, but you beat them.

Is hogging too many gold medals in the Olympics rude? I'm sorry Team USA, you've got too many gold medals. We're going to let Team China win some for a while so it's more fair. How about hogging too much money because your business is more successful than others?

You sound like an Obama supporter. Let's only allow people to have a portion of what they earned, and make sure we spread the wealth around to those that don't do what's required to get as many FTFs. :laughing:

While I don't necessarily agree with fizzymagic that FTF hounds are hurting the game, I completely agree that the lack of a practical 'system' doesn't have anything to do with it. Norms of what's rude or not doen't require a system of enforcement.

Okay, maybe not a system. Sorry, perhaps that wasn't the right word.

But if the same dozen people in an area getting the FTF most of the time is causing anxiety and upset to others then something more than social norm is needed. Because to those people (confirmed by some of the views expressed here), having a FTF race is perfectly ok as everyone has the opportunity to join the race.

So for example, if a cache is published now and I go out and get FTF, when am I next allowed to go and try for one without people thinking bad of me? 10 caches down the road? 20?

How does one know when everyone who wants a turn has had their turn?

Hopefully that explains my point a bit better. I agree not rules, but something to say what would not be considered greedy.

Because I have not been FTF on the vast majority of locally published caches in the 12 months I have been playing this game. Yet it seems that because I do try for them I am possibly upsetting people who would like to find them first but for some reason can't.

And if I go out to do a series of 10 new caches on a circular walk round a wood and I am first to find #1 then I'm not going to stop at #3 and go home to return to finish another day in order to let someone else be ftf on the others in the series.

I'm possibly being dim here (it has been known), but I don't see the logic in that at all, yet that seems to be what some are suggesting should happen.

Or should I do the 10 as FTF but then make sure I don't go for a FTF for the next 3 or 4 months. Hence spoiling my enjoyment of the ocasional FTF that I do get chance to go out for.

i got my second FTF yesterday. Gotta say i liked getting it! Yes, i cache for the scenery and hikes and hunt. But i like a little friendly competition. In my town there's a few FTF hounds and it's fun to see who gets em first!

i have a deadly FTF technique: a BlackBerry and no life. :laughing: The FTFers around here are mostly retired i think. So when/if i get them they'll be well earned. i get stuck at work! Ha