FTF Hourders

zapfrog

What are people's opinion on this?

The people that wake up at ungodly hours just to clean house on FTF's, whole parks, strings, etc. It would be cool if it was one or two and left some for others. After all aren't we here to make it fun, help each other out, enjoy each others company?

My other thought is what about the families that want to bring their kids out for FTF's? I don't think the kid is going to wake up at 3am, so the people that plow through FTF's leave nothing for these families.

I don't think the kid is going to wake up at 3am, so the people that plow through FTF's leave nothing for these families.

leave nothing? they're taking the entire cache?

Yes, I really do I understand your meaning. But what they're leaving is a findable cache with a signed log. It's fine and it's not "nothing".

If you want FTF, you're going to have to hustle for it, like the folks who are currently getting them. That's my opinion.

I have a good friend who goes crazy for FTFs. His job allows him this opportunity. He'll be in a meeting, and his phone will buzz, signaling an FTF, and he'll say he has to go and will get up from the meeting to go get the cache.

He's so into FTFs that while on vacation, he was going to drive 45 miles one way to try for the FTF. He asked if I wanted to go, and I was like, "Uhhh, no thanks." He ended up not making the trip, but that's how into them he is.

If someone wants to beat him to the FTF, they're going to have to work to do it.

What fun would an FTF be for you if you only got it because others held back?

i dont have any FTF yet but i think its great. we have a few hunters in my area that are really on the ball. we have all met at three caches at the same time. two of those were in around 1AM. you have to be willing and able to drop everything when a new listing comes in. you also have to have notification via mobile in order to know the second its listed.

i made it to one cache as FTF but a mother and her young daughter showed up at the same time and i could not help but let the little girl sign it first. dadgum this good heart of mine lol

Its not a matter of holding back but rather being considerate of fellow cachers.

@Skippermark: Really? Sounds like he has a problem to me. I would never let FTF's or a hobby interfere with work in that way. If I was in that meeting and knew why he was leaving, well thats just rude and unprofessional.

What fun would an FTF be for you if you only got it because others held back?

+1

A FTF 'honour' (if indeed that's what it is, and opinions vary on it) would be worthless if you got it because others let you get it.

However, a FTF gained against the other local FTF racers, when you know they will be going for it, is much much sweeter. Especially if it's a puzzle cache and you can solve the puzzle first and get to the cache.

Lots of people are just in a better position to go for FTF. Maybe they are retired, or always finish work at 3pm. They will usually be first.

But not always.

It is possible to get out there first. And that's what makes getting a FTF worth getting (in my opinion), because it's usually not easy and requires sometimes getting up at stupid'o'clock or putting your boots on at 10pm when you'd rather be dozing in front of the fire.

Personally we like the odd FTF race from time to time and it's especially nice when you meet others at some middle of nowhere location at some silly hour and have a good laugh and chat.

You have to either be prepared to get involved in the race, or not let FTFs bother you. It really is that simple.

i made it to one cache as FTF but a mother and her young daughter showed up at the same time and i could not help but let the little girl sign it first. dadgum this good heart of mine lol

You are kind. If that were me, the kid would have been head first in a gorse bush and the mother would have tripped over my foot.

<I jest of course, I think we might actually have done the same as you. Might :) >

I have signed my share of blank logs, but consider it a matter of geography, time, and circumstances. So I do not use the three initials, add any extra smilies to my online log, interrupt my life to get one, or worry about it if there is already a signature or two on the log.

I wondered when someone took a fifteen mile drive into my small town around 1 or 2 am to get a blank log. I was not surprised when I saw his signature on the log when I stopped by the cache on my morning dog walk later that day. I don't think the person was inconsiderate because he came into my town to make the find, but I did wonder because there is no way that my wife would let me get away with that, even if I wanted to do it.

Right now, in order to meet a challenge cache, I am trying to get the second or third find in circumstances where it could be considered a "consolation" (as defined by the challenge). So I am disappointed when there is a blank log.

I have only 3 FTFs. But I don't change my lifestyle to seek them out. I simply enjoy finding caches and signing the log.

Geocaching in general is not a competitive sport/hobby. Yes, you can compete with yourself on things like # caches per day, year, etc. but its going after FTF where its head-to-head competition with fellow cachers.

The people that wake up at ungodly hours just to clean house on FTF's, whole parks, strings, etc. It would be cool if it was one or two and left some for others. After all aren't we here to make it fun, help each other out, enjoy each others company?

My other thought is what about the families that want to bring their kids out for FTF's? I don't think the kid is going to wake up at 3am, so the people that plow through FTF's leave nothing for these families.

If he wants to get up at ungodly hours for a FTF, more power to him.

FTF is a race. What kind of race would it be if the fastest people slowed down to let the others win? And if you win because you knew the faster people slowed down, would you really call yourself a winner?

Geocaching in general is not a competitive sport/hobby. Yes, you can compete with yourself on things like # caches per day, year, etc. but its going after FTF where its head-to-head competition with fellow cachers.

I don't see anything wrong with introducing a bit of friendly rivalry and competition between local cachers, as long as it is kept friendly. Which it is around here.

In fact in over 750 finds, the only ones where we have met and had a good chat with other cachers were when we went out for FTFs.

It's quite funny to climb a tor and approach GZ only to have someone jump out from behind a rock to declare they have beaten you to it.

Next time maybe you can return the compliment :)

It's all a completely harmless fun element of the game which some choose to get involved in and some don't.

If he wants to get up at ungodly hours for a FTF, more power to him.

FTF is a race. What kind of race would it be if the fastest people slowed down to let the others win? And if you win because you knew the faster people slowed down, would you really call yourself a winner?

+1

I agree emphatically. If you can't drop everything to enter the race then why should someone else hold back? Just for you and others that don't/can't drop everything to race for it? Isn't that unsportsmanlike, too?

Besides, FTF races are not a part of the official game. Its a side game for those that want to play that way.

As for me, if a cache is published in an area near me, I will go for it immediately, unless its published at an ungodly hour. And sometimes, just sometimes, I will get the FTF the next morning.

Its not a matter of holding back but rather being considerate of fellow cachers.

How is it inconsiderate? We all get the info at the same time.

There is a parking spot at my work thats the best parking spot. The same guy gets it every single day. Why? Because he gets there before the rest of us, even though we start at the same time. I could get up earlier to get the spot. Just like you could get to a cache earlier than the next guy to score a FTF.

I don't personally think it's inconsiderate of FTF hounds to get as many FTFs as they can. There was a legendary bike racer in my hometown that used to win every race every weekend, but people didn't view it as inconsiderate.

That said, I think that if there are prizes of value for the FTF, it would be a nice gesture for hounds to leave them for the next finders. I don't take FTF prizes anymore, unless they are mostly artistic (which I love) or if the cache itself was a particular challenge (cache requires a 2-mile paddle, or a puzzle that takes weeks to solve, etc.). Cash and gift cards I usually leave for the next finders to spread things out a bit.

I also think it's a nice play by C.O.s to spread the publication of new caches in a tight geographic area out a bit (time-wise). I don't think that they're being unfair or anything by publishing all at the same time, but speaking from the perspective of a C.O. I know that I generally prefer to read different folks' tales of FTF than read seven or eight logs by the same person. Even if they're not literally C&P logs, they tend to sound the same if the caches were all claimed on the same outing and I just find it less compelling reading after the first couple.

That said, I think that if there are prizes of value for the FTF, it would be a nice gesture for hounds to leave them for the next finders. I don't take FTF prizes anymore, unless they are mostly artistic (which I love) or if the cache itself was a particular challenge (cache requires a 2-mile paddle, or a puzzle that takes weeks to solve, etc.). Cash and gift cards I usually leave for the next finders to spread things out a bit.

I wish! In over 30 FTF we have had a £1 coin and a book as 'prizes'. It's becomming a bit of a joke that the ones we get FTF on never have a prize in whereas others have unactivated TBs and coins and, and, and...

(But we don't mind really, we're not bitter :):wub: )

I also think it's a nice play by C.O.s to spread the publication of new caches in a tight geographic area out a bit (time-wise).

Trouble is, that would not only require coordination but also assistance from the reviewer who would control the timing of publication. And then if there's a problem with one of the caches and it can't meet it's publication 'slot'...

Besides, if you get 8 or 10 all published at the same time in the same locality then the better the chances of different people getting FTF on them. One person can't get to 10 places at once, however good/fast/retired/unemployed/insomniacal they may be :wub:

So. Everybody should hold back so that zapfrog could get their FTF. :)

Everybody please hold back. I will not be back before Christmas. Please. :wub:

I think some of you are taking the FTF sub-game way too seriously. Although Zapfrog may be experiencing a little FTF envy they also specifically mentioned families with small children. Would it really kill an FTF slave to refrain from going out at 3:00AM in search of a FTF on a cache if it meant providing a little extra joy to a four year old kid?

But what is the difference? If you can't beat the champ you can't be the champ.

I agree. No one owes you anything. If they're faster at getting the FTF, then they're faster. That's life. Sometimes people are faster than others. What I would suggest is not to be attached to getting the FTF. Most of these people get notifications sent to their phones or email (I think it's a premium member option, but I'm not sure; it's been several years since I've been a basic member).

Don't let it spoil your fun...

Maybe this should go in a different thread but a FTF hog (his words not mine) that I know says he always logs his FTF's right away on his smartphone so others won't have to go running out since he already beat them. I think that's half the fun of getting there first is having someone else go for it only to find the log already signed. What say the rest of you?

Self restraint is sometimes viewed as a virtue. The FTF addict who can not practice self restraint is not a virtuous person. Wait 2 minutes, as I don my NOMEX suit. Whenever I am first to find, I always wait to log the ftf, and if I am not first to find and am logging first on line I make a note that I am not first to find. I especially like it when a cache has been out for a couple of days untouched, those I like to try and get too, even though it means having to wait as work and home take precedence.

Edited by Packanack

What's with all this talk about taking things too seriously and FTFers being 'slaves' ?

It's like those that choose to have fun with that aspect of the game are some kind of wierdos who have to dash out the door for every cache. Might be like that round your way, but not round ours. It's just people having fun.

Is it taken too seriously? Well, it's a game and it's fun, but there's no point in doing it at all if you didn't give it your best effort. That would spoil the fun. If putting effort into something is taking it too seriously then I take a lot of things too seriously :wub:

As for holding back and giving others a chance, you really think that all those who enjoy playing the FTF game are going to agree to stay at home so someone else can go and get it because they happen to have children? Though why someone with children are considered to be at a disadvantage I don't know - kids are normally the quickest to get their boots on and be ready for an adventure, especially if it's past bedtime. Strooth they wouldn't even have toi change out of their pyjamas (they're not worried about being seen out not properly dressed), just throw a coat over the top and go for it. :)

And if the children argument holds because they go to school, well we work more hours per day than kids are at school.

Anyone can join a FTF race if they really want to. They just have to want to, and understand the sometimes silly things you have to do to get there. As I said before, if it was as easy as getting up having a casual breakfast then wandering off to the cache, there would be no fun in it whatsoever.

What's with all this talk about taking things too seriously and FTFers being 'slaves' ?

It's like those that choose to have fun with that aspect of the game are some kind of wierdos who have to dash out the door for every cache. Might be like that round your way, but not round ours. It's just people having fun.

Is it taken too seriously? Well, it's a game and it's fun, but there's no point in doing it at all if you didn't give it your best effort. That would spoil the fun. If putting effort into something is taking it too seriously then I take a lot of things too seriously :wub:

As for holding back and giving others a chance, you really think that all those who enjoy playing the FTF game are going to agree to stay at home so someone else can go and get it because they happen to have children? Though why someone with children are considered to be at a disadvantage I don't know - kids are normally the quickest to get their boots on and be ready for an adventure, especially if it's past bedtime. Strooth they wouldn't even have toi change out of their pyjamas (they're not worried about being seen out not properly dressed), just throw a coat over the top and go for it. :)

And if the children argument holds because they go to school, well we work more hours per day than kids are at school.

Anyone can join a FTF race if they really want to. They just have to want to, and understand the sometimes silly things you have to do to get there. As I said before, if it was as easy as getting up having a casual breakfast then wandering off to the cache, there would be no fun in it whatsoever.

YES. I love this post. You said it much better than I did. I'm also reminded of a Twilight Zone episode where a man was given his wish to always get what he wanted, including winning at gambling. He ended up being very unhappy. Sometimes the thrill of the hunt is in the competition. If you didn't have to try where would the fun be in that?

Just remember that we all have different life circumstances that give us different advantages and disadvantages when it comes to caching. I do not have children, work from home and basically make my own schedule, but I work a lot of hours per week. I'm also slightly disabled. I make a moderately good middle class living; so you can imagine the pros and cons that come with my situation... do I get FTFs? Occasionally.

Sometime in the future, the circumstances will be right for the OP to get a FTF, but until then, don't begrudge others the joy of playing the FTF game how they like to.

I saw it mentioned earlier about going for puzzles. Another good way to increase your chances of getting a FTF is to concentrate on doing high difficulty caches or ones that require a long walk or a multi.

It's easy for someone to hop in their car at night and run down to grab a FTF park and grab, but the 2 mile, 3 stage multi may sit unfound for a few days.

There are currently at least 2 caches in CT that haven't been found since being published.

Doorway to ...? is a traditional cache in Bloomfield that requires a hike and is still unfound 9 hours after being published.

Cockenoe Pirate's Booty is a water cache that was published 22 days ago.

Trouble is, that would not only require coordination but also assistance from the reviewer who would control the timing of publication. And then if there's a problem with one of the caches and it can't meet it's publication 'slot'...
I don't think it has to require coordination. As each cache is found, you could simply push the button on the next cache, and it will probably publish in the next couple of days. My understanding is that you won't lose priority on locations based on spending a few days or weeks publishing, as long as the cache pages were created before others tried to put caches in those spots.

Besides, if you get 8 or 10 all published at the same time in the same locality then the better the chances of different people getting FTF on them. One person can't get to 10 places at once, however good/fast/retired/unemployed/insomniacal they may be :)
I think this depends. 10 caches spread all throughout the greater Houston area, you're probably right. But most of the time that I've seen new series published, it's been in a small enough geographic area that it usually means that one person will get close to 100% of the FTFs. Not always, but pretty often. As a hound, I've done it myself a handful of times, and I've seen it done by others a bunch.

Maybe this should go in a different thread but a FTF hog (his words not mine) that I know says he always logs his FTF's right away on his smartphone so others won't have to go running out since he already beat them. I think that's half the fun of getting there first is having someone else go for it only to find the log already signed. What say the rest of you?

I actually go in the other direction. I try to let my fellow hounds know that the cache has been claimed. I don't always log from the field, but I try to do it when I get home or to work. When I rush out for an FTF my goal is to try to get there first, but not to torture the other players. And I appreciate it when the gesture is extended by others.

this game is played on "first come first served" basis

i highly doubt anyone wakes up at "ungodly hours" for the sole purpose of clearing out the FTF

we have a couple of people here that get FTF at "ungodly hours" when they work the night shift

There are currently at least 2 caches in CT that haven't been found since being published.

Darn, there's no flights out of Heathrow till 6am tomorrow :)

Forget CT, there are 31 caches in North Carolina that are active, but have not been found. One of them was placed in Feb. 2009 (but it's a puzzle, I haven't looked yet but assume it's very difficult). The oldest traditional still waiting for a FTF was placed in May 2009.

I think this depends. 10 caches spread all throughout the greater Houston area, you're probably right. But most of the time that I've seen new series published, it's been in a small enough geographic area that it usually means that one person will get close to 100% of the FTFs. Not always, but pretty often. As a hound, I've done it myself a handful of times, and I've seen it done by others a bunch.

There was a series in a wood published one evening here a few weeks back. We decided to go for it and ended up doing half of it in the pitch dark (great fun).

When we got home a second series had been published in the neighbouring wood, but we had had enough for one night and had work next day.

It was interesting reading the logs the next morning.

One chap headed out quite early and starting at #1 headed off round the series but kept looking back to make sure no one was on his tail.

Unbeknown to him, someone else had come along and started at #10 and was working round the series backwards.

As he approached #8 he saw some people coming toward him. Assuming they were muggles he walked past the cache to let them get by with the intention of doubling back after they were out of sight.

But when he looked round he saw them dive into the woods and claim the cache, and the FTF on #8, the one he'd just walked past.

It was amusing reading the logs and picturing the scene of all these people playing dodgems in the woods.

That's the kind of thing which makes a FTF hunt good fun sometimes.

(Hope those involved don't mind me telling the story of "The Great FTF Race of Witherden Woods")

I tend to not like to beta test caches and tend to let others be FTF. But FTF just isn't that important around here. There are some people with more time on their hands than others and more ability to travel around. They will get more FTF's than others. It is what it is.

I don't determine when I will go look for a cache based on who around me has children. I go for the cache when I have time and am going to be where the cache is. This weekend one right across the way from me got published. I was third to find and live closest to it compared to the other finders. Did I care? Nope. I wasn't going to get up at 6am and go after it when others did.

Forget CT, there are 31 caches in North Carolina that are active, but have not been found. One of them was placed in Feb. 2009 (but it's a puzzle, I haven't looked yet but assume it's very difficult). The oldest traditional still waiting for a FTF was placed in May 2009.

Oh, if only we could afford a huge RV and a 12 month 'gap year' from the business. That would be so good. Now, where's that lottery ticket.......

It wasn't a matter of taking anything away from "the game" but for the reasons I mentioned.

@t4e And yes there are people that will get up at ungodly hours just to clean house even it means getting only two hours of sleep and then rolling into work. There is someone in our area that does this on a regular basis.

And yes this cacher cleans out entire areas before anyone gets to them. Don't even get me started on fairness, there is a reason sports have salary caps :)

In our area, there are 5-6 FTF hounds - and minutes count, and we typically "drop everything" to go run for a cache (unless it is really close) - we make the attempt if we are able to.

Most of the time here - you have 15 minutes or less to sign the log after publication, and it is part of the nature of the game.

Last year, we made an attempt on a FTF - we were 2 miles away, and arrived at the GZ in less than 12 minutes, only to find the log already signed (and the signers long gone)

Our fastest sign of the log from email is 7 minutes.

My two favorite FTF's are one that was 2 miles up a trail on the local mountain - I snagged that one within 30 minutes by using a mountain bike, and another one on a lake path that I also used a bike to get to quicker (1 mile from the closest parking)

Thankfully, our reviewer is pretty good about publishing at random times, so, the publish could come at any time of the day or night - which does help spread things around a bit.

At least NYPaddle cacher and PackaNack get what I'm trying to say.

I get what you're trying to say too; I just don't completely agree. Disagreement isn't always the same as a lack of comprehension.

I think FTFs are fun, and I think various strategies to spread them around can be fun too. I just don't think that asking people who enjoy going for FTFs to stay home is the best way to go about it.

I also think it's a nice play by C.O.s to spread the publication of new caches in a tight geographic area out a bit (time-wise). I don't think that they're being unfair or anything by publishing all at the same time, but speaking from the perspective of a C.O. I know that I generally prefer to read different folks' tales of FTF than read seven or eight logs by the same person. Even if they're not literally C&P logs, they tend to sound the same if the caches were all claimed on the same outing and I just find it less compelling reading after the first couple.

This is what I am planning on doing on my newest three hides. One just got listed, and I plan on waiting until it is found before I relase the next one and then again for the third. They are not easy to get to, so I suspect they will not all be FTF'ed by the same person.

[edited for grammar and typo]

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

Being annoyed at FTF hounds for being so fast is akin to being annoyed at Tiger Woods for beating you in a round of golf.

Everybody brings their own spectrum of skills to the game. My own fortune, skill or hard work will allow me to do things some FTF hounds cannot. For example, I will never be at the mercy of the Geek Squad or their ilk for technology support. How many FTF hounds can say that? :wub:

Edit: The largest reason I would like to be an FTF hound is to meet more people - their logs often talk about the good times they had when they run into other FTF hounds. :)

Edited by JJnTJ

i feel your pain.

if only i didn't have a wife... kids... work...

i could be that guy that goes to that new stretch of 100 geocaches and spends all nights stopping every .1 mile to write my name on a log in a film can. mine are mostly opportunity and pathway.

the only issue i'd really have with most FTF hounds is the respect of time -- 1 AM in a cemetary (or park) with posted hours of "daylight" kinda hints at some problem. we may all "get them at the same time" as someone else pointed out, but some of us are restrained by common sense.

i feel your pain.

if only i didn't have a wife... kids... work...

i could be that guy that goes to that new stretch of 100 geocaches and spends all nights stopping every .1 mile to write my name on a log in a film can. mine are mostly opportunity and pathway.

the only issue i'd really have with most FTF hounds is the respect of time -- 1 AM in a cemetary (or park) with posted hours of "daylight" kinda hints at some problem. we may all "get them at the same time" as someone else pointed out, but some of us are restrained by common sense.

That is a whole other kettle of different colored horses. Breaking laws to geocache is never cool.

True I did ask for opinions so no they won't always match mine :)

@JJnTJ Lol I would never let the Geek Squad come near my computer or install my home theater.

@BulldogBlitz Actually this is a very good point and one that is generally not followed. All too often cemetery's and state parks that have posted open times are ignored.

Oh great! So now we are now not only destroyers of children's happiness but law breakers and trespassers too <tee hee> :)

None of the FTF, erm fans (don't like the term hounds or slaves) I know would do that.

But then we don't get an awful lot of caches published in time restricted areas round here. Mostly they are on open moorland or forests. And I did check with the CO on the woodland one when we realised we would be there after dark. Thought it was fine on FC property, but checked anyway just to be sure.

I think most people respect the rules, whether they be in the FTF race or not.

I suppose the only way you would uncover such behaviour would be if the FTF times their paper log record or if you go out as dawn is breaking to find someone's name on a log of a time restricted cache that was published after dark the night before. Don't find myself in that situation much.

When I've published caches in time-restricted areas, I've sometimes asked the local reviewer to please not publish it until a time when the area is open for activity. If that means that the reviewer might not get to it for a few days (or more), that's totally fine with me. Seems like a small price to pay to reduce the temptation.