Locate Me With Loki

This button on the front page of geocaching.com has never worked for me. Am I supposed to download a pluin or program from somewhere to get it to work? My laptop has wireless capability built in.

OK, 56 views and no replies! LOL ... but ... :D

Is the "Locate Me With Loki" button working for everyone else but me and no-one is telling? :laughing:

I just want to know if it is working, or how to get it to work.

it worked for me... in that it found a location. the only problem is that it located me 800 miles away from my physical location. i was having an out-of-body experience and didn't even know it. this is an awesome tool!

OK ... seems like it is not working for those that posted here.

Any heads up from peeps for which the button is working?

Worked for me just now - I'm on an iMac, using Firefox, and I clicked "Locate me with Loki" and my coordinates came up in the little window, then "Search" and it gave me a bunch of nearby caches. One as close as 0.29 km SW from me.

So yes, it is working for some.

Something more to think about - I went to my Windows Netbook and opened up Firefox there, went to the "Locate me" field and the location was already filled out, though I've never used that feature on the Netbook.

So then I opened up Internet Explorer on that same computer, a browser I very rarely use, and it also was filled out in that field. Accurately too - each time I looked, it was really showing where I was.

So maybe "Locate Me with Loki" depends on you having your own coordinates in your own profile? Seems most logical to me.

It won't use any special way to situate you - the info must be in your profile, is my conclusion.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

According to the "Find Me With Loki" button, I'm at N 32° 48.180 W 080° 05.193 which is in NC.

Yes, I passed through NC from SC but, I also then went through TN and am sitting right now in KY!

Same question ... how does Loki work and, what am I missing here in being located? I'm on a Verizon aircard so, Verizon knows EXACTLY where I am! Why cant Loki find me?

It's never worked for me, either. So I went to http://loki.com and clicked the "Find Me" there. It asked to install a plugin into my browser (Firefox). After this, it "found" me within 1/2 mile of my house (my Access Point name is pretty unique). I'd bet it uses wireless network access points and IP addresses to "locate" users.

Then I came back to GC.com and the "Locate Me" button worked and provided a list of correct potential locations when I clicked it. Firefox asks permission before allowing me to be located, which is nice.

It's never worked for me, either. So I went to http://loki.com and clicked the "Find Me" there. It asked to install a plugin into my browser (Firefox). After this, it "found" me within 1/2 mile of my house (my Access Point name is pretty unique). I'd bet it uses wireless network access points and IP addresses to "locate" users.

Then I came back to GC.com and the "Locate Me" button worked and provided a list of correct potential locations when I clicked it. Firefox asks permission before allowing me to be located, which is nice.

Do NOT go to loki.com as suggested by JJnTJ ... it takes you through about five pages of spam sites.

I am APPALLED that geocaching.com has any type of association with a spam site like loki.com but, apparantly they do.

Why isn't geocaching.com jumping in here on their thread and defending something that they are advertising on their front page?

I'm just flabbergasted.

Shame on you Groundspeak!

Oh ... and why am I being redirected to something called Skyhook Wireless? Are you, or Skyhook, trying to steal my identity?

I'd like feedback from any others that go to loki.com (as JJnTJ suggested) and get the Skyhook info.

Shouldn't I just get a simple "This is where you are" via Groundspeak without having to go through another site (this mysterious Loki) and being redirected to several advertising sites?

Edited by M'Lord and m'lady

I saw no SPAM. Maybe it's my adblock plugin.

Some third-party software is required for this kind of location. Somebody has to build up the database of access point locations and ISP IP address ranges. It makes sense that an application (in the form of a browser plugin) would have to run on my PC in order to fetch the APs in range plus my current IP. This is sent to Loki, who digs into their database and figures out where I (probably) am.

Some third-party software is required for this kind of location.
Actually, all of the good browsers now have geolocation built in via a pretty simple API.
Somebody has to build up the database of access point locations and ISP IP address ranges. It makes sense that an application (in the form of a browser plugin) would have to run on my PC in order to fetch the APs in range plus my current IP.

Most of these services make an assumption that your IP, or at least your IP block, doesn't change physical location. They aren't checking the APs in range of you.

Do NOT go to loki.com as suggested by JJnTJ ... it takes you through about five pages of spam sites.

I am APPALLED that geocaching.com has any type of association with a spam site like loki.com but, apparantly they do.

Why isn't geocaching.com jumping in here on their thread and defending something that they are advertising on their front page?

I'm just flabbergasted.

Shame on you Groundspeak!

Oh ... and why am I being redirected to something called Skyhook Wireless? Are you, or Skyhook, trying to steal my identity?

I'd like feedback from any others that go to loki.com (as JJnTJ suggested) and get the Skyhook info.

Shouldn't I just get a simple "This is where you are" via Groundspeak without having to go through another site (this mysterious Loki) and being redirected to several advertising sites?

Pretty high expectations from a user on a peer-to-peer forum. If you have issues with the website, then you need to post in the correct forum to gain the attention you desire. Your level of emotions for the lack of response is over the top based on where you're posting. You've been around long enough to know this. Shame on you?

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com

Edited by TotemLake