New GPSMAP 62s

PURE ICE

Greeting's all,

Thanks for taking time to check this out. Any input offered is greatly appriciated.

So I'm new to the game, and got an even newer gps unit (Garmin GPSMAP 62s). What I can't figure out is if I can manually enter corrdinates, and how to check the corridates I'm at. I've done a bit of searching and can't seem to find anything regarding this other than the general advertisement stating " ... which means no more manually entering coordinates and paper print outs! ..."

Maybe someone can help me out.

Thanks,

Pure ICE

I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions to come. So hopfully we can keep this thread going for the benifit of others lost like myself.

Just got a new 62s, but am in no way an expert. Just hit "mark" and it will enter your current coords as a way point. You can then edit the name using the rocker bar and hit enter. That will create a waypoint with the current location you are at. You can also hit "mark" and then edit the coordinates using the rocker to whatever coordinates you want and hit enter. that will give you another way point somewhere else that you are looking for, cache or other.

As for "no more manually entering coords and paper print outs" I assume that just means you can connect to computer with usb cable, go to GC.com and either download caches individually "send to gps" from the web site, or load a PQ using software like GSAK. That will give you cache details which can be accessed from the main menu of the GPSR under geocache tab. You can view cache details, last 5 logs, hints for the cache.

Hope this helps some.

Greeting's all,

Thanks for taking time to check this out. Any input offered is greatly appriciated.

So I'm new to the game, and got an even newer gps unit (Garmin GPSMAP 62s). What I can't figure out is if I can manually enter corrdinates, and how to check the corridates I'm at. I've done a bit of searching and can't seem to find anything regarding this other than the general advertisement stating " ... which means no more manually entering coordinates and paper print outs! ..."

Maybe someone can help me out.

Thanks,

Pure ICE

I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions to come. So hopfully we can keep this thread going for the benifit of others lost like myself.

Not sure whether this answers the OP, but yes you can manually enter coordinates (if you really want to!)... Press the 'FIND' button, and 'Coordinates' is one of the options.

I think the advertising blurb you quoted was to do with 'paperless geocaching', where there is no need to resort to using the above metod.

To see paperless geocaching in action, connect your 62S to your PC and go to http://garmin.com/geocache

To see the 'paperless' part (once you have downloaded one from the above site), press the 'FIND' button, then 'Geocaches'. select a cache, press 'ENTER' to see the map location, then 'MENU' and select 'Review Point' to see the instructions (though not the hints - you can get those from the web if you need them).

You also ask how you can see what coordinates you are at... You can add that field to your map screen if you like... First, from Main Menu/Setup/Map, choose '4 Small' (for example) in the 'Data Fields' box.

Now PAGE (or QUIT!) to the Map screen, where you will see the 4 small data fields you asked for! To customise them, press 'MENU' while in the Map screen. Then select 'Change Data Fields'... Select on of the 4 (it will turn blue)... One of the many options is 'Location' - this will show your current coordinates, in whatever format you have chosen when you setup your map. I use the British Ordnance Survey Grid, for example. Useless if you're not in UK!

Hope this helps somewhat.

Edited by ba9rn

Thanks for the input folks,

When I get home, I'm gonna play around some more and figure this out. These questions stem from a multi-cach I was working on yesterday. After finding the first cach, it gave me coordinates to the second location, and I could not figure out how to input the Lat./Lng.

Thanks again.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. The user guide that the unit came with leaves little to be desired.

Pure ICE