Do It Yourself Wooden Nickels

wadekrew

Just out of curiosity, how many did you screw up before you got the technique right?

I've gone through quite a few and haven't gotten them how I want yet.

Only about 4.

I tape the wood down to the paper. Then use the blender. The I push the paper down onto the wood with the fleashy part of my palm.

I try super hard not to let the paper move.

I am using goof-off with prints from a HP color laserjet printer. It took some trial and error; I wasted money on a primacolor blender pen but goof-off seems to be doing the job. The only problem right now is that I am finding my wood isn't smooth enough. The are nubs on the center of each disk and some have shallow impressions that don't take the transfer well. Is there a certain brand of wooden disk that work better than others?

I am using goof-off with prints from a HP color laserjet printer. It took some trial and error; I wasted money on a primacolor blender pen but goof-off seems to be doing the job. The only problem right now is that I am finding my wood isn't smooth enough. The are nubs on the center of each disk and some have shallow impressions that don't take the transfer well. Is there a certain brand of wooden disk that work better than others?

The smoothness issue is an issue all right. What I have been doing is pressing the paper down onto the coin with the heal of my thumb. It helps, but doesn't make it perfect.

Cool thread! I stopped at michaels to pick up that marker and they looked at me like I'm retarded. What exactly does this marker do? Only asking in case I can get a supplemental brand instead.

you want a blender pen, you get them by the paint markers they bleed two or more colors of marker like water colors, you can get them in many brand at hobby lobby

One question--are you going to add some kind of clear finish? Or is the imprint on the wood waterproof?

+1 Is it waterproof?

There appears to be several brand...another brand

I used clear nail polish on mine that had some glitter in it. they look pretty impressive, they ink didn't "wash away" but in our Florida heat they do smear

One question--are you going to add some kind of clear finish? Or is the imprint on the wood waterproof?

+1 Is it waterproof?

There appears to be several brand...another brand

I used clear nail polish on mine that had some glitter in it. they look pretty impressive, they ink didn't "wash away" but in our Florida heat they do crack

Cool thread! I stopped at michaels to pick up that marker and they looked at me like I'm retarded. What exactly does this marker do? Only asking in case I can get a supplemental brand instead.

It dissolves the ink marks left by other markers, so that one can blend the colors together.

try acid tone instead of the marker, with a paintbrush, it's cheaper and works better, to get the idea check out this link.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Geocaching-Wooden-Nickels/

Still trying to get it to work. I'm sure I will, but I have to find the right product, as no local store carries the xylene based blender pens.

I have an HP color laser jet (don't have the model off the top of my head).

I tried the following products, and haven't yet found one that would make the ink transfer:

Copic brand blender pen (failed)

Gin (failed)

GooGone (failed)

Nail Polish Remover (may not have actually been acetone).

Additional things to try still:

Xylene based blender pen (may be able to order from the internet)

Xylene (don't know where to find it)

pure Acetone (just don't currently have any)

Turpentine (don't have any)

Gasoline (didn't really want to try this)

Still trying to get it to work. I'm sure I will, but I have to find the right product, as no local store carries the xylene based blender pens.

I tried the following products, and haven't yet found one that would make the ink transfer:

Gin (failed)

GooGone (failed)

I ended up visiting a local art supply store (not Michaels or Hobby Lobby, an actual art store) and found the Chartpak pen readily.

Gin (failed)

GooGone (failed)

You should be able to buy straight xylene from any hardware store, most likely in the paint section.