Why "Do not show the Travel Bug number in the photo."?

PastorDIC

We just found our first TB. The cache had 2 so we took the one we liked best. I figure leave something for someone else to find. We didn't even copy the number on the one we left behind.

I'll have to look closely at the pictures we took to see if you can see the number. If so, photoshop here we come.

After reading this thread I am wondering if this is alike to "discovering" TB's. Just if someone can answer my query. :laughing:

If you mean that people only do it to increase their count, yeeeeeah maybe, but that's like comparing shoplifting to shopping.

Both may walk out of the store with something but one did it properly and with the owners permission.

Now that I think about it, I personally consider discovering a bug akin to free sample day at the market. Other than showing up, you get to try it without actually doing anything for it.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Side issue re Discovered.....

Had an opportunity recently to "discover" a travel bug which had been dropped into a cache. When I emailed the TB owner to say it wasn't there he clarified that it was a virtual drop and sent me the TB number to record it.

Thanks but I'll wait to do it my way.

My way: I cache with younger children so I pick caches that they can "take" something from that has a history. They have their own GC handle and they log the TB's. BUT....I always "discovered" it so I have my way of monitoring that they are moving the TB on.

Help Please

I took my TB picture with the numbers showing, and read this entire thread to see how to delete that picture completely. Someone said go to the log page, but I have not logged it anywhere yet, and I can not for the life of me figure out how to get rid of the photo with the numbers showing. I have uploaded the photo I want, and made it the default, but I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of the pic I want to get rid of. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Help Please

I took my TB picture with the numbers showing, and read this entire thread to see how to delete that picture completely. Someone said go to the log page, but I have not logged it anywhere yet, and I can not for the life of me figure out how to get rid of the photo with the numbers showing. I have uploaded the photo I want, and made it the default, but I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of the pic I want to get rid of. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Go to the bug's page. Under your descritpion, there will be a section labeled "View the Gallery", including links to all of the pictures you have loaded for thr bug page. Next to each of these links is another link labeled "Edit". Click the "Edit" link, which brings you to the "Edit image" page.

Above the image are some icons. The one in the upper-right corner of the image is a trash can. Click it to delete the image (you may be given an "Are you sure?" prompt).

Geez.....thank you. I think I made that SO much harder than it needed to be, but your way worked like a charm. Thanks for taking my mouse and leading me thru that. It's done, and I'm appreciative.

Thanks

Go to the bug's page. Under your descritpion, there will be a section labeled "View the Gallery", including links to all of the pictures you have loaded for thr bug page. Next to each of these links is another link labeled "Edit". Click the "Edit" link, which brings you to the "Edit image" page.

Above the image are some icons. The one in the upper-right corner of the image is a trash can. Click it to delete the image (you may be given an "Are you sure?" prompt).

If someone wants to cheat they can jusy type numbers into the bug search at random. You could claim all the bugs you want this way. It would be completely pointless but it could be done.

Typing in at random? These days all you need is a script kiddie to write you a bot to sequentially step through every six and seven letter/digit combo.

But when you see one of those logs with 12 caches and 17,000 travel bugs, well, you can guess how that happened. Can anything be done about these bad apples?

Edited by Criswell

Anyone with a concern regarding the practice of another cacher should contact either a forum moderator, a cache reviewer, or contact@geocaching.com, directly and off-line.

These people will first confirm if your concern is in fact an issue that needs to be addressed.

I am not understanding the 'caching with a friend and dropping the TB back in the cache so the friend can log it'.

Why not just take the TB and have the friend discover it? or leave the TB there and both of you discover it.

Opening a cache and seeing a TB is discovering it, as you just discovered the cache itself.

Discovering a TB is not harmful to the travel miles of any TB, it just states that you saw the TB.

I have done this many times, as a friend of mine (like me) loves to take TB's on adventures. So when we are on an adventure together, we bring out the TB's, talk about them like where we found them, how we found them, etc. and sometimes trade them. We also discover each others TB's.

I personally don't feel there is any harm is discovering a TB IF you have seen it personally.

As for taking pictures with the number showing...sometimes it is a simple mistake and can be easily corrected. It is sad that some people use this to their advantage, but it is like that in any part of this game. We have recently seen devastation to plant life and veggetation due to people wanting to be FTF. It is all about the numbers for some and not about the enjoyment of the game.

Geocachers are now officially a new race of people, with their own culture, and now their own horror stories... Must be a nice life if one of the scariest parts of geocaching is finding that somebody put your travel bugs number in a picture...

Also, I think that there should be a system, and I don't know where to draw the line, but if you have 15 caches found on your account and 1600 travel bugs logged, then you should be kicked out, but if, on your first cache when you don't know you're not supposed to, you take 2 TBs.....

Geocachers are now officially a new race of people, with their own culture, and now their own horror stories... Must be a nice life if one of the scariest parts of geocaching is finding that somebody put your travel bugs number in a picture...

Also, I think that there should be a system, and I don't know where to draw the line, but if you have 15 caches found on your account and 1600 travel bugs logged, then you should be kicked out, but if, on your first cache when you don't know you're not supposed to, you take 2 TBs.....

You're confusing me here. First you say posting tracking numbers is no big deal but logging them gets you kicked out but properly logging two bugs is scary for you.

Say again?

the last bug I handled, I do not recall needing the number off the tag.  It seems the number is only an alternate ID to search for it (instead of the TB#### number).

Or it might only apply when "taking" a bug.  Otherwise, placing the bug in a cache does not require the number.  When you log the cache, you merely checkbox that you left the bug there.

Next time someone grabs a bug, can they verify that they don't need the tag number?

You are correct....the "secret number" (stamped into the tag) is only needed to "grab" the bug. Dropping (placing) or posting a note does not require the number.

Some of us keep a record of these numbers, just in case we need to re-grab and place a bug to correct the bugs history. As an example: when the bug is "grabbed" by the next finder before you get a chance to "place" it into the cache.

I have been making a habit of attaching a note to the bug asking the next finder to WAIT until I have "placed" it, BEFORE they "grab". This seems to be working well so far.

You're absolutely correct. This scenario happened to me. I had to email the owner to request the number to correct the mileage. The owner was very grateful.

These days all you need is a script kiddie to write you a bot to sequentially step through every six and seven letter/digit combo.

You are getting your terminology mixed up. A script kiddie is someone without much (or usually any) programming knowledge who uses scripts made by others to accomplish their tasks. It does not mean someone who creates scripts.

Out of stupid curiosity I looked to see just how many of the gallery pictures of TBs I could read the tracking numbers. It was stunning to see so many. I found several just looking through the pictures. Guess people don't think before posting a picture. Interesting in every way. For some I can see them now looking through the pictures and logging finds of them just by the tracking numbers.

Out of stupid curiosity I looked to see just how many of the gallery pictures of TBs I could read the tracking numbers. It was stunning to see so many. I found several just looking through the pictures. Guess people don't think before posting a picture. Interesting in every way. For some I can see them now looking through the pictures and logging finds of them just by the tracking numbers.

That is where people usually glean tracking number for virtual logging. Occasionally you'll have someone start moving them out of the cache and placing them half way around the world.

I've been lectured that peoples blogs / websites are not subject to GS 'rules' as well... many will blur them, but some won't... we won't go into online cache logs etc... the occasional news item... or column...

All one can do is spread the word and hope! And yes... one did get by me on one of my TB logs... I posted the wrong version of the picture... but caught it almost immediately.

Doug 7rxc

It's actually quite easy to log large numbers of TBs without cheating. I discovered, dropped and retrieved close to 60 TBs at an event last weekend. People who do a lot of events can get hundreds or thousands of proper logs. However, it's true, some people will cheat to get their numbers. Obscure the tracking number and use the TB code name instead.

I am not understanding the 'caching with a friend and dropping the TB back in the cache so the friend can log it'.

Why not just take the TB and have the friend discover it? or leave the TB there and both of you discover it.

I think Discover it is a new feature. Probably specifically for wearable TBs that don't actually get put in caches.

I think Discover it is a new feature. Probably specifically for wearable TBs that don't actually get put in caches.

Actually, I think Discover was incorporated as a way to tell the TO "your trackable is alive and well, but I did not take it".

Since that time, the concept of the Discover log has gravitated to other meanings.

IMO, I do not think it should applied so to count as a part of "trackables moved or logged".

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee