Personal Travel Bugs VS Traditional Travel Bugs

2Dolphins

Hello everyone, this is my first post so please be gentle. icon_smile.gif

It seems to me that there are really two distinctly different types of travel bugs. One I call personal travel bugs the other I call traditional travel bugs. Personal travel bugs are defined by me as bugs that never leave the possession of one person and are logged with every cache that person visits. Traditional travel bugs are (again defined by me) as bugs that go from person to person cache by cache. Although I think people should be able to have personal travel bugs, I think they should be logged differently then regular travel bugs. The top bugs listed in “Top 10 Traveled Bugs” are all personal travel bugs. icon_frown.gif When I first looked at the travel bug page I wanted to see all the travel bugs that have gone great distance by the traditional means of cache by cache, person to person. I was really disappointed that I had to fish through all the personal travel bugs to find the top traditional travel bugs. In that way the tracking of personal travel bugs has somewhat obscured real travel bugs that have accomplished great distances with the help of a lot of geocachers.

I think the personal travel distance with a map would be a great feature on the "My Cache Page" (maybe a new charter member feature) but I personally do not like seeing it logged on a travel bug. In the words of Dennis Miller “Of course this is just my opinion, I could be wrong.” What do you guys think?

2Dolphins

2dolphins... I agree.. I really kind of gave up looking at the top 10 travel bugs awhile ago when the personal bug thing started catching on, it's pretty useless now. I don't really understand the added benefit of a personal bug either with the maps the way they are.... unless you really travel far everything just kind of sits in a lump on top of itself... but the miles add so I guess that's what people are looking for....I dunno.

Yep. The "top 10" bugs list became mostly useless except perhaps a game between those few at the top.

I'm not sure what the solution should be, though. You'd have to have a disqualification flag for a bug, and perhaps having the same person move a bug more than 20% of the time would disqualify a bug from the top ten list. Hmm.. maybe not a bad idea.

Dougc

Perhaps one of the people that uses a Personal Travel Bug could post here... cuz I still can't undertand the reasoning behind doing that.

If you are concerned with how far you've gone between caches, where you've gone, or whatever such stats - there are better ways to do it than with a travel bug.

Looks a bit complicated... check out the logs for the personal bugs - looks like lots of pointing and clicking. icon_wink.gif

Rubbertoe - Webcam - Image Archives

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--

I am also new to this listserv. I also found it unusual to have people "cache" and "uncache" their own bugs and I agree there should be at least two categories. I left my first bug last week and hope it has an exciting journey but it'll never be mentioned in the "most traveled" category. I would also like to create new categories like "most extreme caches visited", "historical sites", "mysterious places","Urban sites" etc.

Mileage should not be the only criteria.

This is a great sport. I hope to see lots of experiments.

Craven MaCree

MaCree

Moun10bike...sheesh... what's a gal to do?...Markwell must be rubbing off on me ;-) They asked for people to speak up...rather than get that whole thing going again I was hoping to avoid it...ya know...been there done that ;-) It didn't get me the first time around...now after seeing the problems with it I like it even less. As much as the failures suck I think we should admit when they happen ;-)...heheh especially when we weren't in on them in the first place.

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

Perhaps one of the people that uses a Personal Travel Bug could post here... cuz I still can't undertand the reasoning behind doing that.

I use a Personal Travel Bug.

Travel Bug

I use it to show the same logs at caches I visit. It's a whole lot easier when my friends want to see what caches I done. Not all of them are geocachers but are interested in the places I visit. The other way they need to click on each cache and look to find my posting. Here it's all in one place.

I don't care about the mileage. I don't pay any attention to that. It really meanless when you use a Personal Travel Bug.

If there was a easier way to display just the logs for a user I would reuse this tag and send out another real Travel Bug.

Steve

GeoScouter

I'm not going to deny that I like my mileage. Duh, huh? I use it to keep track of the overseas caching. If there was a personal map then I probably wouldn't have set it up. I haven't taken it on two trips that would have pushed the mileage numbers over 100k. It's not like I regret it either, because it's not a contest.

quote:
Dougc:

Yep. The "top 10" bugs list became mostly useless except perhaps a game between those few at the top.

Not really, some of those bugs are normal travellers and some are personal. On one trip to Singapore, I tried to get the Oliver bug to bring it on it's last leg around the world. The then holder wanted to place it elsewhere though.

quote:
Rubbertoe:

If you are concerned with how far you've gone between caches, where you've gone, or whatever such stats - there are better ways to do it than with a travel bug.

If you know of a way that's just as easy, I'm all ears.

quote:
Originally posted by GeoScouter:

I use it to show the same logs at caches I visit. It's a whole lot easier when my friends want to see what caches I done ... Here it's all in one place.

I see... this makes a little more sense, the way you've logged information on your bug - the few that I've looked at before, they just have:

user left bug in cache a

user retrieved bug from cache a

user left bug in cache b

user retrieved bug from cache b

etc... with no info to go along with it. icon_smile.gif

Ah - and you just copy the same log for the cache as you have in your bug log. Good idea. I enjoyed the pic of your buddy struggling to get up that hill, btw. icon_smile.gif

Rubbertoe - Webcam - Image Archives

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--