Favorite Puzzle Caches?

Pianodan

I'm fairly new to the forums. Is there already a bazillion-page thread for favorite puzzles like there is for favorite containers? I've tried searching, to no avail. I've been on enough online forums to suspect that it exists somewhere, and I'm just not finding it, which seems far more likely than someone wandering onto a board for the first time and coming up with a completely obvious idea for a thread which has nonetheless not yet appeared. :P

I've already done some really fascinating puzzles in my local area (and written one fairly nasty one), and I'm curious about some good ones from other parts of the globe.

I'm fairly new to the forums. Is there already a bazillion-page thread for favorite puzzles like there is for favorite containers? I've tried searching, to no avail. I've been on enough online forums to suspect that it exists somewhere, and I'm just not finding it, which seems far more likely than someone wandering onto a board for the first time and coming up with a completely obvious idea for a thread which has nonetheless not yet appeared. :P

I've already done some really fascinating puzzles in my local area (and written one fairly nasty one), and I'm curious about some good ones from other parts of the globe.

heres a fun one. http://coord.info/gc20a37

another: http://coord.info/GC2ACJ4

My favourite was in Mons Belgium: http://coord.info/GCWJNG

It ended up being a great tour of the city (my favourite type of multi), and also ended up with me saving a kitten stuck in the tree near the final coords.

It ended up being a great tour of the city (my favourite type of multi), and also ended up with me saving a kitten stuck in the tree near the final coords.

I've made a start on that one, as I had the relevant item handy, but it's going to take a while, and I have to go wash the dishes. :) (Also, I don't expect to be in range to actually find the thing any time soon.)

That one took me over a month to solve. It's 700 miles away so I don't know if I"ll ever be able to actually find it.

Thanks for the interesting links. Keep them coming!

In case anyone's interested, here's mine:

"Don't Touch It, It's Evil!"

As soon as I glanced at this puzzle, I immediately lost all sense of balance and the familiar sweating and heart palpatations came back. Numbers should never be paired with squiggly things and letters. I will never divulge how I made it through the math or logic portions of my degree. :unsure:

(Seriously though...looks like a good one for those that like puzzles)

IMO, Culper Junior (GC240F0) is an instant classic.

I didn't realize that there was a PMC2 challenge. I took a stab at a couple of the caches in the first Puzzle Masters Challenge but since none of them were within 140 miles of me I didn't spend an long time on them. I worked on the PMC S.E.T.I. puzzle quite a bit and made quite a bit of progress.

One aspect of the Puzzle Masters Challenge caches that gnawed on me a bit was that it seemed to be a fairly small group of people both involved in creating the caches, solving the puzzles, and finding the caches. From may of the logs it appeared that many of them worked as a team. On one particular cache, there was a photo with no less than 14 geocachers searching for the final container.

I didn't realize that there was a PMC2 challenge. I took a stab at a couple of the caches in the first Puzzle Masters Challenge but since none of them were within 140 miles of me I didn't spend an long time on them. I worked on the PMC S.E.T.I. puzzle quite a bit and made quite a bit of progress.

One aspect of the Puzzle Masters Challenge caches that gnawed on me a bit was that it seemed to be a fairly small group of people both involved in creating the caches, solving the puzzles, and finding the caches. From may of the logs it appeared that many of them worked as a team. On one particular cache, there was a photo with no less than 14 geocachers searching for the final container.

I wasn't involved with the original PMC effort, but I think it is a bit of a sampling / selection issue. At least around here the overlap between the most enthusiastic puzzle creators and the most enthusiastic puzzle solvers is pretty significant... So the bigger the group that gipsie assembled for the original challenge caches, the more unavoidable it became that it would include many of the same people who would also want to hunt them.

I actually do have an entry in the PMC2 challenge, but it was also designed to function as a stand-alone puzzle in its own right (for those who might not be able to tackle the whole series).

I wasn't involved with the original PMC effort, but I think it is a bit of a sampling / selection issue. At least around here the overlap between the most enthusiastic puzzle creators and the most enthusiastic puzzle solvers is pretty significant... So the bigger the group that gipsie assembled for the original challenge caches, the more unavoidable it became that it would include many of the same people who would also want to hunt them.

I actually do have an entry in the PMC2 challenge, but it was also designed to function as a stand-alone puzzle in its own right (for those who might not be able to tackle the whole series).

I didn't really look at who the participants were for PMC2. It just seemed that quite a few puzzles were solved and found as a group so it seemed kind of cliqueish. I noticed at least one cache in the PMC2 series that required one or more site visits to obtain information necessary to solve the puzzle. Since that one was a couple hundred miles away I wasn't even going to try and solve that one. Although it's not that much of a surprise that those involved in creating the puzzles in the PMC and PMC2 challenges would be similar to the set of people that solved them, it felt that some of the puzzles where targeted specifically for that same set of group to solve.

I also just came across a series of Puzzle caches, in Europe called the Master of Mystery series. Here's the first one: GC213AF. Each requires to solve 20 other puzzles that use a geochecker to provide a number and the GC code for the next puzzle you must solve. I didn't try any yet but it looked interesting.

In a previous "favorite puzzle" thread there was one which had a form you could type a question in and Signal the Frog would provide answer. Ask the right question, or series of questions, and you'd eventually get the coordinates; theroetically, anyway, as when I last looked at it, it hadn't yet been solved. Anyone remember what GC number that one was?

http://coord.info/GC1NTW4

Can't comment too much without giving hits to the solution, but it was fun. Also, you have to be carefull when solving. One mistake can screw up the whole thing.

Or you just need the right tool... This is a cool one, but if you know where to look, you can finish it in under a minute. :ph34r: (Solving, that is. Driving the 1500 miles to do the find might take me a bit longer)

In a previous "favorite puzzle" thread there was one which had a form you could type a question in and Signal the Frog would provide answer. Ask the right question, or series of questions, and you'd eventually get the coordinates; theroetically, anyway, as when I last looked at it, it hadn't yet been solved. Anyone remember what GC number that one was?

Heck, does anyone have a link to the thread?

Heck, does anyone have a link to the thread?

Here is a link to the cache - Patience & Sincerity

I noticed at least one cache in the PMC2 series that required one or more site visits to obtain information necessary to solve the puzzle. Since that one was a couple hundred miles away I wasn't even going to try and solve that one.

Which one?

Although it's not that much of a surprise that those involved in creating the puzzles in the PMC and PMC2 challenges would be similar to the set of people that solved them, it felt that some of the puzzles where targeted specifically for that same set of group to solve.

I can't speak for anyone else involved, but one of my nagging fears about contributing was that people would see that it was a part of a series, decide that they would never be able to complete the whole thing, and drop the puzzle. I didn't *want* for it to only get looked at by PMC fanatics, so did my best to design it so that it would deliver a satisfying experience one way or another. That was the goal, anyway.

I also just came across a series of Puzzle caches, in Europe called the Master of Mystery series. Here's the first one: GC213AF.

I have been stuck on the last cache in the chain for almost six months! The first 19 took me a couple of weeks, but the 20th is *killing* me... One thing that is pretty cool about the series is that there are parallel final caches in at least eight different world cities. They are all fed by the same component puzzles, but when you're finished you can collect a final in either Paris (the original), Porto, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Barcelona, Pauda, Vienna or Brno.

Sounds like Patience & Sincerity (GC1CG5M).

I also just came across a series of Puzzle caches, in Europe called the Master of Mystery series. Here's the first one: GC213AF.

I have been stuck on the last cache in the chain for almost six months! The first 19 took me a couple of weeks, but the 20th is *killing* me... One thing that is pretty cool about the series is that there are parallel final caches in at least eight different world cities. They are all fed by the same component puzzles, but when you're finished you can collect a final in either Paris (the original), Porto, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Barcelona, Pauda, Vienna or Brno.

I am going to have to start looking at those. I've been to both Barcelona and Paris so If I would have started on those puzzles awhile back I might have been able to find one of them. I'm not sure that'll I ever get back to Barcelona but another layover in Paris is not outside the realm of possibilities as it's one of the better options if I go back to Johannesburg (I'm currently working on a project with someone in Joburg).

Sounds like Patience & Sincerity (GC1CG5M).

Thanks. That was the one. It was unclear from the logs if the one person that has found it completely solved the puzzle. It sounded like they got one of the coordinates and brute forced the other.

I noticed at least one cache in the PMC2 series that required one or more site visits to obtain information necessary to solve the puzzle. Since that one was a couple hundred miles away I wasn't even going to try and solve that one.
There is a pretty good chance that the cache you're talking about... is mine? If so, it's The Spy of Cadman Plaza (GC2A0TF). There is a hand-crafted clue that cachers have to pick up from an intermediate stage (the Dead Drop) before advancing to the final.

Recognizing that, I've made arrangements to mail the clue to cachers who figure out where that stage is, but live too far away to visit conveniently. I have a note in the logs about this, but I can see that it has rolled off the page - so I've just added it in bold/red to the bottom of the cache description.

I've already mailed out a couple of clues, and am prepared to send out many more for any who are interested - don't let the Dead Drop get in the way of giving this puzzle a shot. I'd love nothing more than to welcome out-of-town solvers into the experience!