Is this spamming and is it right?

rockhead15

It has been posted on Facebook and other sites that some cachers are posting on events, focusing on the 10.10.10 events in many states with a note saying

Just dropping in our new coin. Check them out, they are now available. (visit link) If any one is interested, please let us know.

XXXXXXXX (name protected)

It takes you to their profile where they are selling their geocoin.

Is this considered spamming? I don't think they are even asking the event host if they can have permission to post this in their logs.

What do you think and should Groundspeak do something?

They are dipping a coin in many event caches as an advertisement? Sounds like a form of spam to me. It would be up to Groundspeak to determine if it is acceptable.

But it isn't just dipping but selling them on their profile site. I thought you can't do that on cache pages or in logs.

That is what I was saying.

I think it is wrong and I suspect Groundspeak would frown on it. However, Groundspeak doesn't read the profiles of every user account and even if they did those profiles can be changed at any time. Unless someone reports the abuse they are not likely to know about it.

A friend of ours said they have one on their event. The event is GC2DM88

Thank you for posting that! I'd love to go that even, since it's less than a mile from my sister's house... but anyway, back on topic. It does seem that the folks posting are obviously real cachers, and fairly prolific ones. I do have to agree that it is spamming in a way, and at least advertising; and in poor taste.

If I were TPTB I'd probably have a problem with it...

Boy, how many events/caches did they spam with that?

They hit two of mine with that, and about a dozen others also.

For some additional insight, see the following:

Sorry but we will not be making it to the event.

if you are interested in purchasing a coin or 2, just let us know.

Thanks

XXXX

XXXX

At 09:12 PM 9/23/2010 -0700, you wrote:

>Hi XXXXX

>

>Cool Coin! We read your note and just wanted to see if you were coming to

>the event? We're trying to get a ballpark headcount.

>

>Thanks!

When we deleted their note on the cache we then recieved the following email from them.

WoW

You folks are really mean

May that bad karma stay with you a long time

Also, no coin was ever dropped into (or even dipped) into the event.

Edited by Frank AZ and NJ Girl

Thanks

Mountain Lovers

Pam & Richard

>Hi Pam and Richard,

>

>

>Thanks!

When we deleted their note on the cache we then recieved the following email from them.

WoW

With that info, I'd say spam.

Now if they were going to send a coin to each of these events I might be able to see a way to call it just odd. But by doing the note thing, spam.

Don't worry about it too much.

WoW

Well, they will soon be finding out The Frog is "really mean". Despite the fact he seems to be grinning here ===> :D

Actually, I don't think this is that bad, but I predict they'll be reported, and spanked. I also remember being contacted through the website by someone who appeared to be emailing people who had found any of their caches, and noting how they had personal geocoins minted, if we'd like to check it out. I'm sure that one didn't go over either.

On Facebook someone mentioned they posted on some events in Michigan too. They did most of So California where they live. I don't know how many in total they placed it on. I hope Groundspeak has a way to track all of their note posting their coins. There are other ways to sell your coins then to do this.

I emailed them a note telling them they should probably stop. Groundspeak will make the final decision of course.

I've had bad karma following me around so long I figured what do I have to lose. :D

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

Now who remember what show that is from? Or rather, who is brave enough to admit it? :)

I emailed them a note telling them they should probably stop. Groundspeak will make the final decision of course.

I've had bad karma following me around so long I figured what do I have to lose. :D

Now who remember what show that is from? Or rather, who is brave enough to admit it? :)

To do so would just bring Gloom, Despair and Agony on Me.

:D

As long as your Dogma is okay, I think you'll be okay. B)

If you keep moving it can't catch up.

:D

I've had bad karma following me around so long I figured what do I have to lose. :)

Now who remember what show that is from? Or rather, who is brave enough to admit it? :D

I was raised in Alabammy and live in Gawwga. Oh yeah. Brave enough to admit it.

I'll have to put Lady Gaga on my iPod on the way home to push that memory back where it belongs.

Edited by mtn-man

No. It is not spam. Spam involves sending e-mails to lots and lots of people. Posting a note on a cache page is not spam. It does seem, however, to violate the commercial guidelines. And is very tacky.

'Spam' was originally defined as UCE or Unsolicited Commercial Email. In popular usage the term has expanded to any sort of unsolicited commercial pitch, typically in an area where commercial appeals are not typically used. In my experience it's not unusual for the the term 'spam' to be used in forums and the like for unsolicited appeals.

Since this is an unsolicited commercial pitch in an area where commercial pitches are not the norm, it seems perfectly acceptable to call it 'spam'.

Thanks

XXXX

XXXX

>Hi XXXXX

>

>

>Thanks!

WoW

Wishing bad karma on someone "for a long time" for deleting a log is a bit mean spirited, and could come back to them eventually.. :D

But I hope it doesn't. :)

Cache logs are supposed to be about your experience when finding (or in the case of an event, attending) the cache.

NOTHING MORE.

While we all probably enjoy the random ramblings of someone like Oregone, advertising your favorite upcoming mega-event, or (as in this case) attempting to sell Geocoins is absolutely wrong.

I wish them double-negative karma, and wet (and unsignable) logbooks for the next five years... :D

No. It is not spam. Spam involves sending e-mails to lots and lots of people. Posting a note on a cache page is not spam. It does seem, however, to violate the commercial guidelines. And is very tacky.

'Spam' was originally defined as UCE or Unsolicited Commercial Email. In popular usage the term has expanded to any sort of unsolicited commercial pitch, typically in an area where commercial appeals are not typically used. In my experience it's not unusual for the the term 'spam' to be used in forums and the like for unsolicited appeals.

Since this is an unsolicited commercial pitch in an area where commercial pitches are not the norm, it seems perfectly acceptable to call it 'spam'.

Spam spam spam. I disagree. From what I know, Spam was first invented on Usenet by immigration lawyers. And it had nothing to do with email. That's OK though, Geocaching was invented on Usenet. And that one I'm sure of. :D

Spam of no spam, that is the question......

Regardless - 20+ (that is how many I found during a short search - I didn't look further) events were tagged with their message for the only purpose of selling personal geocoins.

My initial thoughts were ok, whatever, delete it and move on, it was their additional emails afterwords that I didn't appreciate.

Another thing to ponder - my event has 22 watchers, each of who would have gotten an email when the log was posted.

Edited by Frank AZ and NJ Girl

From Dictionary.com

Spam 

[spam] Show IPA

noun, verb, spammed, spam·ming.

Trademark . a canned food product consisting esp. of pork formed into a solid block.

–noun

( lowercase ) a disruptive, esp. commercial message posted on a computer network or sent as e-mail.

Spam spam spam. I disagree. From what I know, Spam was first invented on Usenet by immigration lawyers. And it had nothing to do with email. That's OK though, Geocaching was invented on Usenet. And that one I'm sure of. :D

I was a pretty active participant on usenet when that incident was going around. I also participated in a group that also included Seth Briedbart (and have met him IRL several times), the creator of the Briedbart Spam Index, a formula used to produce a tool that was used to cancel articles on usenet.

Spam did predate the Canter/Siegel incident. I recall quite an uproar about one of the first ISPs (portal.com) automatically including their contact information in the footer of every usenet posting that was made from their servers). Canter/Siegel didn't just spam, but made an aggressive campaign to justify and encourage spamming on usenet.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

I've been reading and wondering... In light of another thread... did they do this by hand, or did they use a bot?

Sounds like a lot of work to just cut and paste whatever you call it... I read there may be a 'legal' method to do this using some software, but I don't think this was the intent of that 'feature'.

Doug 7rxc

If they are posting this log to events they are not planning to attend, or have not attended, and to cache pages they have not found, or will not be finding, then it is definitely spam. Logging a trackable through the cache it has visited is one thing, announcing it everywhere is another. Cache owners can delete those logs, unless it was a legitimate find.

I found one of the events in question and took a look at the post. "Just dropping in our new coin. Check them out, they are now available..." (and, of course, the sales link)

So I'm firmly in the camp of everyone here: it's spam. I find it ironic that Frank AZ & NJ Girl got such a nasty email after deleting the note. After all, the person posting the spam was incredibly presumptuous, taking advantage of someone else's event page (and, by extension, the other person's hard work and time) for personal gain, without giving anything back (did this person donate coins to the event? Or otherwise help in any way? No). And that person has the gall to call Frank AZ & NJ Girl "mean" and wish bad karma on them for deleting the note? The nerve. How breathtakingly self-centered.

We actually attended two of the events where this "spam" was posted in our area. Surprisingly this is a cacher that we have been looking forward to meeting. Yet, they never attended and probably had no intention of doing so after reading this thread. Not cool.........this needs to be stopped before everyone with a coin for sale starts jumping on this band wagon.

Edited by the4dirtydogs