Recycle Travel Bugs

VentureForth

There has been a lot of talk about what to do if a travel bug tag is lost, but what about a travel bug that has seen it's goal? Can you reset that tag number, apply it to a new trinket with a new goal and set the trip odometer back to zero?

---------------

burnout.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I've thought about this issue a bit myself.

I understand that eventually, a Bug's owner may decide that Bug is lost and want to attach the number to a new trinket. I figure eventually I'll have to deal with that myself. I could even see an argument for resetting the milage to zero. But I hope you would want to keep the logs of the people that have logged the bug.

Indeed -- you need to keep the previous logs -- it is part of the bug's history, and some of the logs and photos I have seen are just wonderful! -- Also if you delete a bug log, the person who took the time to grab it, take a picture of it and move it for you loses a find in their count, and who wants that?

I also don't see why it has to re-set to zero miles -- that stats board is no longer active, who cares?? Miles are so easily faked anyway, they mean nothing on some bugs.

I have restarted 2 of my own bugs -- First I made sure they were REALLY dead. No accidental recovery possible so there are not two bugs going with the same number.

I just sent them off to the TBug Graveyard for a while to rest (just in case)... then I make a "note" in the log explaining the circumstances and then I re-released each. Instead of the copy bug tag, I custom made a "dog tag".

I have had fairly good luck with people moving my Tbugs along and giving them great adventures and pictures -- I have been very fortunate in this!

.....Recently spotted: In the hands of ME!

If there are plans to change the site, can it be made to accept a letter in addition to the number of a travel bug? For example: C for copy, if the bug disappears and you send out another; R for resend, renew, or refresh, if your bug completes its goal and you give it a new one. That way noone loses their find and the bugs' owner has an easier way of keeping track of re-used tags.

quote:
Originally posted by Centris:

I have restarted 2 of my own bugs -- First I made sure they were REALLY dead. No accidental recovery possible so there are not two bugs going with the same number.

There's no such thing as a "dead bug," unless you've seen the body. I had this one wash away in a flood, along with the cache it was in. Gone, right? I started a "reincarnated" bug with the same number. NINE MONTHS LATER, a cacher found the original cache and TB almost a half a mile away, near another cache. Fortunately, I was able to recover both the cache and the bug before the TB got back into circulation.

Sidenote: The replacement bug reached its goal of traveling from Texas to a particular cache in England. It's now most of the way back to Texas on its second mission.

web-lingbutton.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

quote:
Originally posted by Centris:

There's no such thing as a "dead bug," unless you've seen the body. I had http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=3037 wash away in a flood, along with the cache it was in. Gone, right? I started a "reincarnated" bug with the same number. NINE MONTHS LATER, a

Sorry if this is off topic, but after looking at that page and looking at the source, I can't figure out how you did the background on that page. It's not moving. Hmmmm

If you can email me with details, I'd appreciate it.

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.