Grabbed before Dropped?

chloew

I was wondering how others handle the following situation.

This weekend I dropped a bug in a cache around noon, but did not have the chance to log the chache find and bug drop until that evening. By the time I was ready to log it online, someone else had already found it physically and grabbed it virtually. So I no longer could drop the bug in the cache online and the bug doesn't have a record of being placed in the particular cache. It is also missing the corresponding miles, although not significant in this case.

How do you normally handle this scenario? Can we suggest changes to the system/web site to allviate this problem? Would it be too difficult to add an option to allow the finder to specify in which particular cache he found it (as it is in no cache at that time)?

I found a bug which wasnt logged Simply dropped it in and picked it up again. If the new finder could just delete their log and do the same it would fix it. That's if they are willing. Worth a try!

It may require an additional delete on the TB's page as well but I'm not sure.

I check to see when and if there is a log stating when the bug was placed. If there a log stating of the placement of the bug, then I would grab the bug, log the bug in with my log and then regrab the bug. If there is no indication, I would wait a day or two if I had no plans of placing the bug in the next few days and make sure the cacher that placed the bug may just not have made it home yet, I also usually read the logs at the cache to see when the last log is and I read a few if I have time and am not being eaten alive in the summer months, raining or really cold.

You can also email the cacher whom the bug is indicated to be in the hands of, unless it indicates to be another cache, then it may have been picked up and dropped off on the same day logged yet by the cacher, wait a day and then just grab, drop and regrab to keep the milage and history as correct as possable. Also lets the owners what is going on when you do this.

Car37

Same thing's happened to me a couple of times, when I've been on a trip and couldn't log for a day or two. It actually didn't occur to me that the bug's miles wouldn't be logged, although, as with your situation, they weren't significant. Hmm...

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."