Cornish St Piran Geocoin all the way from Cornwall

Skyblueleisure

Hi

We are giving a little advance notice of a new geocoin that is soon to be available from us. Here is the latest version of the design.

St_Piran_Geocoin.jpg

We are honoured that the St Piran Trust here in Cornwall has allowed us to use their logo for the front of the coin, and in return they will receive a royalty for each coin sold. The St Piran Trust is currently raising money to start excavation work on the St Piran's Oratory in the sand dunes near Perranporth, with the hope that they will at least have it partially revealed by the time of the next St Piran's Day March on the 5th of March 2011.

There will be a limited run of the coin, it will be trackable and will have its own icon. As soon as we have a picture of the actual coin we will post it.

Brian and Paula

I like it a lot. : ) I think there's a very strong simplicity behind the design (which I like), and the front of it has a very antique coin-like feel to me (that's one of the things I ping on: make it look like a coin from antiquity, and I will buy it). I like medieval art, too, so score another point.

One thing I'd recommend doing is using a different font, and wrapping the font so that it starts and ends almost flush against the raised serial number block*. I'm not particularly fond of the use of Arial with medieval/antique-type coins like this. Since the text is raised, you should be able to use something delicate**.

I'd recommend looking at www.free-fonts.com (I think that's the URL; Google it to be sure) and see if you can find something interesting (and legible). The mint won't be able to generate that font on its own (unless you send it, and they might not be willing to deal with that), though, which is probably why you have Arial on there.

The solution to this is to send them a copy of your original file (by original, I mean whatever program is being used to create the graphics that was sent to the mint so that they could make their blueprint) with the text portion converted to "paths". In other words, instead of sending a file that says, essentially "take these letters and render them in MyGreatFont.ttf", the text is transformed into pure shapes. In Adobe Illustrator, you do that by selecting your text and choosing "Expand". Most mints may not admit that they can actually receive your .AI (Illustrator), .CDR (Corel Draw) or .WMF (Windows Meta-File, a non-program-specific vector file type) files, but they can.

This is, of course, assuming that you're using Illustrator, Corel Draw, or some other vector program to generate your original artwork.

*To do this, you change the text's kerning; the software might refer to it as "character spacing" or something like that. Space out the letters so that they fill the outer ring.

**The reason why the mints want to use heavier fonts for recessed text is because the die is, of course, carved in reverse: recessed text on the coin is raised text on the die, and the die has to be able to survive 200+ smashings (for die-struck coins). So if you want to use a delicate, slender font, you have to specify that it be raised (so it's recessed on the die, and therefore more able to survive multiple smashings).

Sorry about writing a book here; however, I do hope it's helpful!

Please forgive my ignorance, but can you give some information on St. Piran?

ILYK

Legend tell how Piran, originating from Ireland and known there as ‘Ciran' (the Cornish language naturally mutates the first letter to a softer ‘P'), was cast to sea tied to a millstone on the order of the Irish King who was suspicious of Piran's miraculous powers. Although the sea was treacherous Piran survived, the stormy seas calming as he floated on the millstone until he reached the shores of Cornwall, UK. Many Cornish names now echo Piran's, for example ‘Perranporth', ‘Perranzabuloe' and ‘Perranarworthal'. It was at Perranporth beach, however, where Piran was said to have landed, and where he began to build an oratory to promote Christianity. The oratory is now preserved in the towans (sand dunes) at Perran Sands. His first disciples were said to be a badger, a fox and a bear!

Piran is perhaps most famous for his accidental discovery of tin, when a blackstone on his fireplace got so hot that a white liquid leaked out; the first tin smelting. It was this discovery that earned Piran the title Patron Saint of ‘Tinners', tin mining historically being a fundamentally important industry in Cornwall. It was this discovery that also formed the basis of the Cornish flag, the white hot tin on the black of the ore. The Cornish flag is now used universally as a symbol of Cornish identity.

According to legend St Piran was fond of a tipple or two, and the phrase ‘drunk as a Perraner' has become common place amongst the Cornish to describe those who share his fondness for alcohol! Despite these tipples, he is rumored to have lived to the age of 206!

The small chapel dedicated to St. Piran circa 450AD, was excavated in 1835 and it was claimed to be the oldest extant building of worship on mainland Britain, second only to Iona Abbey. It has now been reburied, to protect it, and all that marks the spot is a stone with the words 'St. Piran'.

The St Piran's Trust now hope to uncover it again in the new year.

I like it a lot. : ) I think there's a very strong simplicity behind the design (which I like), and the front of it has a very antique coin-like feel to me (that's one of the things I ping on: make it look like a coin from antiquity, and I will buy it). I like medieval art, too, so score another point.

One thing I'd recommend doing is using a different font, and wrapping the font so that it starts and ends almost flush against the raised serial number block*. I'm not particularly fond of the use of Arial with medieval/antique-type coins like this. Since the text is raised, you should be able to use something delicate**.

I'd recommend looking at www.free-fonts.com (I think that's the URL; Google it to be sure) and see if you can find something interesting (and legible). The mint won't be able to generate that font on its own (unless you send it, and they might not be willing to deal with that), though, which is probably why you have Arial on there.

The solution to this is to send them a copy of your original file (by original, I mean whatever program is being used to create the graphics that was sent to the mint so that they could make their blueprint) with the text portion converted to "paths". In other words, instead of sending a file that says, essentially "take these letters and render them in MyGreatFont.ttf", the text is transformed into pure shapes. In Adobe Illustrator, you do that by selecting your text and choosing "Expand". Most mints may not admit that they can actually receive your .AI (Illustrator), .CDR (Corel Draw) or .WMF (Windows Meta-File, a non-program-specific vector file type) files, but they can.

This is, of course, assuming that you're using Illustrator, Corel Draw, or some other vector program to generate your original artwork.

*To do this, you change the text's kerning; the software might refer to it as "character spacing" or something like that. Space out the letters so that they fill the outer ring.

**The reason why the mints want to use heavier fonts for recessed text is because the die is, of course, carved in reverse: recessed text on the coin is raised text on the die, and the die has to be able to survive 200+ smashings (for die-struck coins). So if you want to use a delicate, slender font, you have to specify that it be raised (so it's recessed on the die, and therefore more able to survive multiple smashings).

Sorry about writing a book here; however, I do hope it's helpful!

Thanks for all the information, this has been our first attempt at a coin so it has been a huge learning curve! We'll have a go and see how it looks

We now have a photo of the actual coin, they will be available to buy in the first week of November. Don't have a confirmed price yet as it will depend on what Customs want, but should be between the £8 to £10 GBP price mark (with a percentage of each sale going to the St Piran Trust to help with the preservation of the St Piran Oratory).

Cornish St Piran Geocoin

We now have a photo of the actual coin, they will be available to buy in the first week of November. Don't have a confirmed price yet as it will depend on what Customs want, but should be between the £8 to £10 GBP price mark (with a percentage of each sale going to the St Piran Trust to help with the preservation of the St Piran Oratory).

Cornish St Piran Geocoin

Please can you explain what percentage of the coin sale is going to the trust?

Cornish St Piran Geocoin

I really like this coin! This design serves to remind me why I love the older geocoins so much. It's a simple, two-color antiqued coin that's sharp as a shovel. :(

Could you please tell us the size (diameter) of the coin, and if it will perhaps be available in any other metal finish? Again, excellent work. :sad:

Sorry for the delay, flat out at the moment. The coin is 42mm in diameter and 3mm thick and is only in the one finish.

We now have the coins and they are for sale here St Piran Geocoin. They are £9.99 GBP and 14% goes to the St Piran Trust.

<Indirect link removed by moderator. Direct link inserted. Please only use direct links to the geocoin being discussed. >

Edited by Eartha

The website operates a flat rate postage regardless of what is bought, so you could buy an 8 man tent or a small flag the postage is the same. The coin is also available through ebay where the postage is per coin.

Thanks, I'm not trying to be flippant, but I collect coins not tents ... and for a coin it seems extortionate. :laughing:

I'll take a look at the other place ... have you got it on there for the same price?