Best ever skirt lifter?

GOF and Bacall

My personal experience is that almost every skirt lifter is a worthless waste of my limited geocaching time. But that one word in that sentence says something. "almost" I can think of only one that I enjoyed. It was at the dock of a historic fire boat. The cache itself was no big deal. Not at all impressive. But the history that went with it was great.

What was your favorite "skirt lifter" cache and what was it that made it so special?

Our very first skirt lifter will forever have a special place in our minds just because it amazed us so. We had no idea such things existed and thought (at the time) that it was the most clever hide ever. We have since come across a few that held cute and/or unique containers but they are admittedly pretty much the same. Still any found cache is a good cache.

Our very first skirt lifter will forever have a special place in our minds just because it amazed us so. We had no idea such things existed and thought (at the time) that it was the most clever hide ever. We have since come across a few that held cute and/or unique containers but they are admittedly pretty much the same. Still any found cache is a good cache.

I would have to agree although the spot did not have any real appeal it was over 6800 caches ago and I went back to the spot 3 times before I finally figured out 1. That they lift up. and 2. that someone would think of putting something there.

Scubasonic

Actually, one we found was rather amusing. It was a flat one magnetized to the inside, but had a geocaching logo on the back of it. We saw that, and made the find. It was a nice twist. I was kind of amazed at how many people logged DNFs like "Well, we saw the neat geocaching sticker so we knew we were in the right place, but no cache." Heh.

Our first will be our most remembered. It was a light post between two trees. We searched everywhere in the trees and on the surface of the post. A little voice in my head said to raise the skirt, but I thought that might be against the rules. DNF.

Later, we found one where the only place it could possibly be was under the skirt. We went back right away and found the old DNF. Felt kinda stupid, but now we laugh whenever we look at a skirt.

We haven't found it, but really enjoyed the picture in the Cool Cache thread where someone had setup a bunch of army men inside the skirt. Would love to come across something humorous like that.

We've got a local cacher that has placed over 75 LPH where the containers are different variations of rubber duckies. One's with popcorn, a bride duck, a groom duck, and many more. It adds a little twist to what would otherwise be a boring cache. My only complaint is some are placed in places such as Starbuck's drive throughs. We're not big on high-muggle, low reward caches. :P

We haven't found it, but really enjoyed the picture in the Cool Cache thread where someone had setup a bunch of army men inside the skirt. Would love to come across something humorous like that.

We've got a local cacher that has placed over 75 LPH where the containers are different variations of rubber duckies. One's with popcorn, a bride duck, a groom duck, and many more. It adds a little twist to what would otherwise be a boring cache. My only complaint is some are placed in places such as Starbuck's drive throughs. We're not big on high-muggle, low reward caches. :P

Hmmn? OK, a new twist there. I think after the first couple, though, it stops being creative and just becomes repetitive. Still better than just another film can in a wally world lot.

The army men is different.

I have to say, not a lot of interesting LPCs yet. Is this the best there is?

My personal experience is that almost every skirt lifter is a worthless waste of my limited geocaching time. But that one word in that sentence says something. "almost" I can think of only one that I enjoyed. It was at the dock of a historic fire boat. The cache itself was no big deal. Not at all impressive. But the history that went with it was great.

What was your favorite "skirt lifter" cache and what was it that made it so special?

Not one yet. Only found a few. Once the GPS points to a lamp post in some mundane parking lot, I put the car in 1st and move on.

The first one is always cool and then they are few and far between. Here was my first.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...0d-3d708e7daea2

This one in Kona, Hawaii is one of the few I have ever respected.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?l...ed-bbfa4732780b

And this one in Redwood, CA is one of those heavy ones.

http://coord.info/GCXXRZ

And then there was the time I had a light pole skirt tournament!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d7-b0039bb74c80

Edited by elrojo14

I had one of my own out for a short time. It took some doing, but I finally found a steel lamp skirt (rare enough) that was somewhat out of view of the general public. I cut some magnetic vinyl to fit one side (on the inside), and made a little sleeve to contain the log. That got a few DNF's, and "I'm sure it must be missing" logs for a while. But I really wasn't comfortable with the hide, and archived it after a pretty short time. Got some good compliments from the few that found it, though.

So if people enjoyed finding it (even newbies), why archive it?

What made you feel uncomfortable about it?

I assume you're talking to me.

Well, I didn't have permission, there was a homeless guy living in his van nearby, and when people rehid it, if they weren't careful, the cast iron flange on the pole itself would dislodge the vinyl. I tried to replace it with a piece of plexiglas with supermagnets glued to it, but that didn't really work, either.

In case you're interested, here is a link to the cache

Like there is a greater 'skirt lifter' moment of all time. Please!

monroe4.jpg

I dunno man. That's nice and all, but it was like 55 years ago. :P By the way, I recently picked up a copy of her 1953 film "Niagara" on VHS for like $2.

Oh, I did find one in a town park in the semi-rural outer ring suburbs of Rochester, NY, overlooking a small pond a few years ago. I suppose that was allright. But I see the OP must now distinguish between creative (with Army men set up under the skirt and stuff), and scenic.

Edited by Mr.Yuck
What was your favorite "skirt lifter" cache

That's sort of like asking, what was your favorite No, I can't say that in a public forum, sheeoot.

My most memorable skirt-lifter, I guess, was one where the title gave me an idea for a totally off-the-wall log. (Probably the only multi-sentence log the cache ever got.)

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Mine happened two weeks ago. It was on September 11 and we were coming back from the Georgia Geocachers meeting. It was the first stage of a multi-cache. What made it special was the cache we were absolutely determined find that day and only on that day. The name of the cache: Twin Towers.

Had to do it.

Didn't know until today that was the name for it. Perfect phrase.

Edited by Georgia Lookers

All of the ones I've never found because I've never found them.

Well, we need them so everyone can be surprised by the first one! I missed a bunch of caches early on and got very, very frustrated at DNFs near lamp posts, lol! If we didn't have any, there'd be no first one...so there you go.

I had read about them endlessly here before I ran accross my first. Our area must not have many. I have only found 3 (or maybe 4).

I am growing a little weary of them myself, but found a few in the past few weeks that stand out:

-- One was a hide-a-key stuck on the inside of the metal skirt. Not groundbreaking, but the first one I found like that and it threw me off at first.

-- There was a nano stuck on the inside of the lamp pole - I found it on my second try and after using a little mirror.

-- A bison tube tied to a fishing line that was tied to one of the bolts. It was hanging in a hole under the skirt. Didn't see that one at first.

There was also one I found, that I first thought was under the skirt, but as I approached, I realized there wasn't a skirt to be lifted. There was a small oval access opening on the pole with a lot of wires hanging inside. There was a little yellow geocaching sticker above. I pulled on a wire that was stuck inside by a magnet and there was a bison tube on the other end.

I've parked right near that cache..... of course, I wasn't a cacher then :anicute: (thats not the most annoying one though... the most annoying one with us standing next to a cache in a vacation photo, not knowing about the cache (again, prior to caching)

My favorite LPC is this one

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b4-64c95416d3ac

I think one (make that two) of our faves werea series of miniature trash cans filled with black slime, and in the slime was a bison tube with a tiny clear bottle, inside which was the log! It was pretty disgusting to me but the kids LOVED it! This local cacher is known in the area for some pretty creative caches and cache pages.

I've parked right near that cache..... of course, I wasn't a cacher then :anicute: (thats not the most annoying one though... the most annoying one with us standing next to a cache in a vacation photo, not knowing about the cache (again, prior to caching)

We had the same experience. The geowife laughed when I showed her the picture. We were next that same pole, before we started caching. It really is a great view.

We had the same experience. The geowife laughed when I showed her the picture. We were next that same pole, before we started caching. It really is a great view.

We only stopped by that one - no photos there.

This is the one that we really beat our heads over.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...00-07dcafddbb62

Of course - thats a good reason to go back!

Edited by Frank AZ and NJ Girl

We only stopped by that one - no photos there.

This is the one that we really beat our heads over.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...00-07dcafddbb62

Of course - thats a good reason to go back!

This is an LPC?

My favorite skirt lifter (after the surprise of finding my first) is now archived. Basically, there were 12 35mm canisters under the skirt. Each one contained a paper that said things like 'Close,' 'Almost,' 'Getting colder,' etc. One said 'Now you are really hot.' The cache was a magnetic nano under the ledge of that one. I personnally loved it, as did many others, but some were frustrated and almost gave up! I have to admit, after a day of hard-to-find caches, DNF's, or having only 5 minutes to cache for the day, there is nothing like a skirt-lifter to fill the bill.

My favorite skirt lifter (after the surprise of finding my first) is now archived. Basically, there were 12 35mm canisters under the skirt. Each one contained a paper that said things like 'Close,' 'Almost,' 'Getting colder,' etc. One said 'Now you are really hot.' The cache was a magnetic nano under the ledge of that one. I personnally loved it, as did many others, but some were frustrated and almost gave up! I have to admit, after a day of hard-to-find caches, DNF's, or having only 5 minutes to cache for the day, there is nothing like a skirt-lifter to fill the bill.

That's a bit evil. :anicute:

That's a bit evil. :anicute:

Giving you ideas? It was a great skirt-lifter!!

I'm going to give a nod to $$tracker's themed caches around Santa Barbara:

(I wish I had taken pictures!) They make for a fun twist!

I hope she'll forgive me for posting these - uhhh *spoiler alert*

You're a Grand Old Flag

Trick or Treat

Christmas Every Day

054efca4-8d46-4c04-b12e-d40dceab6683.jpg

Tooth Fairy's Friend

183d96c3-a485-41ce-838b-ade6cb42f036.jpg

They all get some really nice logs. Thanks $$tracker for putting them out!!

Those are great! Thanks for sharing.

I'm going to give a nod to $$tracker's themed caches around Santa Barbara:

(I wish I had taken pictures!) They make for a fun twist!

I hope she'll forgive me for posting these - uhhh *spoiler alert*

You're a Grand Old Flag

Trick or Treat

Christmas Every Day

054efca4-8d46-4c04-b12e-d40dceab6683.jpg

Tooth Fairy's Friend

183d96c3-a485-41ce-838b-ade6cb42f036.jpg

They all get some really nice logs. Thanks $$tracker for putting them out!!

Those are great! Thanks for sharing.

OK - after showing off $$tracker's cute "skirts", I will now show you MY favorite one - It just so happens to be mine, and it’s my ONLY skirt hide too! (Sorry to spoil it for the all those forum readers getting ready to head to Santa Barbara for a weekend getaway)

The cache is Sea Center Cephalopod located just outside the Ty Warner Sea Center on Stearn's Wharf in Santa Barbara. As you can see from the pictures it is a beautiful place to visit in itself. But the cache also has a little twist that makes for fun hide too. The coordinates are dead-on, but the hint is "octopus base", which sends a majority of the cachers directly off to explore the huge (and realistic) 3d octopus sculpture on the building wall. Once they strike out there, they finally look at their GPS again and turn around to see the flagpole behind them - flying an octopus flag. Ah Ha! And to put a wrapper on it, the flagpole is cantilevered outside the wharf railing over the ocean!

Yeah it's a total touristy muggle bomb type of cache, but it just got its 200th find this week, and has some of the funniest logs I get on any of my caches. Some geocachers apparently don't like being bamboozled!!

Here is the Destination:

1746ea81-b7ab-4453-b6b6-336b77ce09f2.jpg

And here is the GZ:

d0e86e1e-e3dc-41a9-ab0f-18fa76710c96.jpg

The funny thing is that I originally set this cache up as a magnetic micro for the back of the sculpture (it has a 2” gap to the wall) – but the base turned out to be made out of Aluminum! In frustration, I threw a spare container under the flagpole skirt and took a new set of coords just to get it published. That little bit of fate turned this one from an OK hide to a really fun one. Go Figure.

OK - after showing off $$tracker's cute "skirts", I will now show you MY favorite one - It just so happens to be mine, and it’s my ONLY skirt hide too! (Sorry to spoil it for the all those forum readers getting ready to head to Santa Barbara for a weekend getaway)

The cache is Sea Center Cephalopod located just outside the Ty Warner Sea Center on Stearn's Wharf in Santa Barbara. As you can see from the pictures it is a beautiful place to visit in itself. But the cache also has a little twist that makes for fun hide too. The coordinates are dead-on, but the hint is "octopus base", which sends a majority of the cachers directly off to explore the huge (and realistic) 3d octopus sculpture on the building wall. Once they strike out there, they finally look at their GPS again and turn around to see the flagpole behind them - flying an octopus flag. Ah Ha! And to put a wrapper on it, the flagpole is cantilevered outside the wharf railing over the ocean!

Yeah it's a total touristy muggle bomb type of cache, but it just got its 200th find this week, and has some of the funniest logs I get on any of my caches. Some geocachers apparently don't like being bamboozled!!

The funny thing is that I originally set this cache up as a magnetic micro for the back of the sculpture (it has a 2” gap to the wall) – but the base turned out to be made out of Aluminum! In frustration, I threw a spare container under the flagpole skirt and took a new set of coords just to get it published. That little bit of fate turned this one from an OK hide to a really fun one. Go Figure.

Very nice! I snipped out your pictures, obviously. Now that you mention this, I do remember at least one leg of a multi-cache on the Staten Island boardwalk, overlooking the Verrazano Narrows bridge, being an LPC. I can't for the life of me remember if both legs were LPC's though.

And we'll let you slide on the fact that's actually a flagpole skirt, not a Lamp Post skirt. :D

Here is the Destination:

1746ea81-b7ab-4453-b6b6-336b77ce09f2.jpg

And here is the GZ:

d0e86e1e-e3dc-41a9-ab0f-18fa76710c96.jpg

Now that's what I'm talk'n 'bout! Interesting location with a bit of a twist.

With all the many caches out there that fall into the "skirt lifter/LPC" style of hide you'd think there would be more interesting ones out there.