Is there even something to do in EVERY state?

Coldgears

Oh man, you are not sure what to do in Washington?

Groundspeak Headquarters! Project Ape Cache! Plus, go to Vancouver. You will be glad you did.

GCD http://coord.info/GCD is still active. From what the listing states and from what I have heard its the oldest active cache in the State of Washington.

I have family who visited the APE. From what I have been told it is a must see. GC79 "Iron Horse" http://coord.info/GC79 is within walking distance from the APE.

I have visited Groundspeak HQ and I would recommend that to anyone.

If you make it to the State of Oregon, I would recommend, (GC92) http://coord.info/GC92 (I see its disabled right now) another would be the Original Stash Plaque (GCGV0P) http://coord.info/GCGV0P. I know that the state of Oregon has (GC12) http://coord.info/GC12, (GC16) http://coord.info/GC16, and (GC17) http://coord.info/GC17.

For the State of Idaho, I would recommend, (GC25) http://coord.info/GC25, (GC26) http://coord.info/GC26, and (GC27) http://coord.info/GC27

Thats my two cents..

PaneledZero :anicute:

Edited by PaneledZero

AZgeckogirl and I recently spent 11 days traveling from Pittsburgh to Phoenix.

We visited twelve states on the trip.

We had no pre-determined agenda, but we did have a few places we definitely wanted to visit.

Thanks to Geocaching (and the wonderful folks who place them) we saw MANY sights we could have never found on our own.

Maybe not 'Grand Canyon' or 'Niagara Falls' cool, but still places worth visiting.

EVERY STATE in this great big country of ours is chock-full of excellent sights to see.

You are wasting time thinking about it.

Just DO it.

While there may be some cache related things to do in Washington, there isn't anything else worth visiting for, unless you like to watch the rain fall*. So only come if you're interested in a couple of unique icons, otherwise stay home**.

*Charter member of the "I Love Rain Society" - whose purpose is "to rain wash the world, and kept wonderful Washington's image wet to discourge crowds."

**Help keep Washington green - leave your money and then go away!

I used to do this in my early days. (Maybe becoming paperless was the reason I stopped. Too bad really)

I would look through the local caches of where I was visiting and find a prominent, active cacher. I would then explain my travel situation - On business, rental car or not, traveling with kids or not, maybe a stroller, short on time, maybe a free Saturday, looking for tourist locations - based on that what caches should I look for?

I would usually get a great response. That was the thing, they were more than happy to provide suggestions.

While there may be some cache related things to do in Washington, there isn't anything else worth visiting for, unless you like to watch the rain fall*. So only come if you're interested in a couple of unique icons, otherwise stay home**.

You're jesting, right? Off the top of my head I can think of more than 20 fun/great things to do or see in Washington.

1.Seattle: Space Needle, Pike St. Market

2. Ferry trip to explore the San Juan Islands

3.Volcanos: Mt. Baker, Mt. Rainier + N.Park, Mt. Adams, Mt. St. Helens + N. Monument

4. Cave exploring: Boulder Cave, Ape Cave, Big Four Ice Caves, Marmes Rock Shelter, to name a few

5. Olympic National Forest

6. Ocean beaches

7. 27 lighthouses

8. Mouth of the Columbia River

9. Snoqualmie Falls and Lodge

10.Columbia river gorge

11.Maryhill, and stonehenge replica

12. Goldendale Observatory

13. Yakima Valley

14. Ginkgo Petrified Forest

15. Upper and Lower Grand Coulee and Grand Coulee dam

16. Dry Falls

17 Soap Lake

18. Odessa Oktoberfest

19. Wilbur Whips and the Columbia river ferry across Lake Roosevelt

20. Wind turbine farms above the Columbia gorge

21. Wineries, Apple farms, Walla Walla onions

22. Fossil, and gem digging, gold panning (Republic and Ferry co.)

23. Fort Vancouver

24. Petroglyphs at Horsethief State Park

25. My personal favorite, crisscross the border into Canada 16 times

edit to spell Snoqualmie correctly, now say it fast five times.

*Charter member of the "I Love Rain Society" - whose purpose is "to rain wash the world, and kept wonderful Washington's image wet to discourge crowds."

Edited by BlueMoth

Awwww, I haven't seen any love for Illinois yet. I'm sure there are many caches around Chicago, but I'm avoiding those too. Check out the beautiful Shawnee National Forest which covers the vast majority of the southern half of the state and houses a fabulous wine trail. The geology alone is enough to keep me entertained, I'm certain it's crawling with caches. Historic Springfield is there for the history buffs with settler villages and such, and near my home is the Cahokia Mounds historic site which is brimming with caches.

In New York there's Raquette lake. And if you go further north you'll reach Saranac Lake.

There are some great campgrounds in this area and if you drive a half hour north you will reach a great mountain known as Catamount. Not a high peak but a good four hour hike up and down.

You can knock off VA and NC in one long drive...

The Blue Ridge Parkway (http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/) goes along the mountains of western North Carolina and Virginia - its well worth the drive - some amazing scenery.

Roanoke VA has the Natural Bridge, which is quite spectacular (http://www.naturalbridgeva.com/). North Carolina has Grandfather Mountain (http://www.grandfather.com/), both accessible via (or very close to) the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I have moved to western NC two years ago and I have found that there are a lot of spectacular scenery, good hikes etc, but it is almost all nature based.

On the eastern side of VA are a lot of civil war battlefields, if you are into that sort of thing.

Other things in NC:

Lazy 5 ranch near Statesville NC - a drive through zoo - really really fun.

Billy Graham (the christian evangelist) comes from here, so if you are a fan you may want to check out Asheville and Charlotte for some Billy Graham sites (library, homestead etc.). Asheville is worth a visit for many other reasons as well.

Biltmore House near Asheville - Largest private home in America, built by the Vanderbilts. You can take a toour of the grounds and the house itself. A bit pricey, but even a cheapskate like myself found it worth the money.

I am sure there are many other things - if you come this way ping me privately and I'll see if I can guide you in the right direction for your personal tastes.

Alabama has the Space and Rocket Museum.

I work in Huntsville and I like seeing the big Saturn V on the horizon, but for the price of admission, the Space and Rocket Center can be skipped.

Other sites in Huntsville are- Harrison Brothers Hardware Store, Monte Santo State Park, North Alabama Railroad Museum, Burritt on the Mountain, Big Spring Park, the Botanical Gardens and Early Works Museum. Not to mention a handful of walking/hiking trails scattered from one end to the other.

If you're looking for mountains, canyons and white water, head to the northeast corner and the Mentone/Fort Payne/Desoto State Park area.

If you want music heritage head to the northwest corner and Florence/Muscle Shoals.

Birmingham is home to Sloss Furnace, the statue of Vulcan and not too far away- Tannehill Ironworks.

There are caves to take guided tours in several spots- Cathedral Caverns and Rickwood Caverns come to mind.

Anniston has a Museum of Natural History as well as the Berman Museum of Weapons.

Scottsboro has the world famous Unclaimed Baggage Store (as seen on Oprah).

Edited by Castle Mischief

You're jesting, right? Off the top of my head I can think of more than 20 fun/great things to do or see in Washington.

1.Seattle: Space Needle, Pike St. Market - Seattle is closed at the moment for painting, unknown re-opening day.

2. Ferry trip to explore the San Juan Islands - Ummm they all sank, it was horrible.

3.Volcanos: Mt. Baker, Mt. Rainier + N.Park, Mt. Adams, Mt. St. Helens + N. Monument - Volcanoes, hello!! Hurricanes in Florida are much more fun

4. Cave exploring: Boulder Cave, Ape Cave, Big Four Ice Caves, Marmes Rock Shelter, to name a few - Full of bats and guys dressed like Batman. Scary stuff.

5. Olympic National Forest - Olympic National Clearcut now.

6. Ocean beaches - Pretty until BP moved in.

7. 27 lighthouses - Seen one seen em all. Cylindrical building with a light. Yawn.

8. Mouth of the Columbia River. Cavities and halitosis, best to be avoided.

9. Snoqualmie Falls and Lodge. Bought by Disneyland, now a Roger Rabbit theme ride.

10.Columbia river gorge. Too close to Oregon for comfort.

11.Maryhill, and stonehenge replica - Same as #10

12. Goldendale Observatory - We have an observatory? Really?

13. Yakima Valley. - Valley full of fruit trees? Double Yawn.

14. Ginkgo Petrified Forest - Ginkgo? The company with the little lizard has its own woods??

15. Upper and Lower Grand Coulee and Grand Coulee dam. Dam you, dam you all to hell!!!

16. Dry Falls - Most states just call them cliffs.

17 Soap Lake - Mud, lots of mud.

18. Odessa Oktoberfest - Go to Germany, more realistic.

19. Wilbur Whips and the Columbia river ferry across Lake Roosevelt - Umm I got nothing.

20. Wind turbine farms above the Columbia gorge - Don't stare too long you'll get hypnotized and start clucking like a chicken.

21. Wineries, Apple farms, Walla Walla onions - Onion flavored apple wine? Yuck

22. Fossil, and gem digging, gold panning (Republic and Ferry co.) - We actually put fake gems and fools gold out for the tourists. Then we sit back drink moonshine and laugh at them as they leave the state.

23. Fort Vancouver - Once again I work in Vancouver, nothing to see here.

24. Petroglyphs at Horsethief State Park - Ya and they steal your horse why you look at the pretty rock drawings.

25. My personal favorite, crisscross the border into Canada 16 times - Business or pleasure eh? Pleasure, OK eh have a good visit. X16.

edit to spell Snoqualmie correctly, now say it fast five times. I love to hear national news broadcaster try to say that. :D

:D:):DB):D

Ok, I give, there is absoutely nothing to do in the state of Washington, so scratch that one off the list. Btw, the Wilbur whips is a road that goes down the side of the cliff from Wilbur to the Keller Ferry. I think I am about to die everytime I drive it.

Since Washington is such a wretched :D state, forget about it. Best come to Oregon, we got lots more than just Crater Lake.

No particular order

1. Alvord desert

2.Lava tubes in Bend

3. Fort Rock

4. Smith Rocks

5. Warm Springs Indian Reservation

6. Deschutes river

7. Fossil digging in Fossil

8. Snake river + canyon for a bonus

9. Emmigrant hill and Oregon trail wagon tracks

10. Pendleton roundup and Pendleton woolen mills

11. the Blue Mountains

12. More high plains wind turbine farms

13. Columbia river gorge and 77 some waterfalls

14. Old Columbia river hwy road above Mosier with basalt tunnels, now hiking only

15. Bridge of the Gods

16. Post Office at Bridal Veil

17. Crown Point

18. Oregon Caves

19. Oregon vortex

20. Ashland Shakespere festival

21.Silver falls

22. Mt. Angel Abbey and Oktoberfest

23. Rogue river

24. Oregon Beaches all public

25.11 lighthouses

26. Sand dunes at Florence

27.Wreck of the Peter Iredale and black sand beach at Clatsop spit

28. Ft. Clatsop

29.Lewis and Clark salt cairn at Seaside

30. Sea Lion caves

31.Sitka Spruce tree memorial (largest one in existance blew down, now a memorial)

32.Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood

33.Little Crater Lake

34. 21 Volcanos, if you like to live dangerously, Mt. Hood is the one most likely to blow up next

35.Yamhill county wineries

36. Mint fields between Eugene and Corvallis

37.Pioneer cemeteries

38.Portland: Rose gardens, Rose festival, Portlandia, Pittock mansion, Hoyt arboretum, Forest park, Voodooo donuts, 40 brewpubs/microbreweries, Mt. Tabor, Rocky butte, Confluence of the Willamette and Columbia rivers, Sauvie Island, Oaks park and Oaks bottom, Portland Underground tour, Waterfront park, Powell's bookstore and my personal favorite, crisscross the Willamette river 11 times on 11 different bridges.

Oh yeah, add:

39. Astoria and Astor column

40.Breitenbush Hotsprings.

Sure there is more, but that is all I have for now

edit to spell Alvord and Iredale correctly.

Edited by BlueMoth

Georgia, go to Stone Mountain. Several caches there and a fun hike up. The N. GA mountains are very nice, though not the Rockies. Helen is the jump off point. Any area near there is fantastic. In the south go to the Okefenokee Swamp area for that cache.

Just adding to Georgia:

Amicalola Falls and the southern tip of the Appalachian Trail

The Georgia Aquarium (whale sharks!)

Oregon really just rules, basically :) Just sayin'

I agree. I think it is the only state where you can find high plains, high desert, desert playa, volcanos, rain forests and ocean beaches.

Here are more for Oregon.

41. Headwaters of the Metolius river

42. Oregon City + Willamette Falls and the McLaughlin House

43. John Day fossil beds and the Painted Hills

44. Newport + Ocean fishing and Oregon Coast Aquarium

45. The Oregon Gardens N of Salem

46. Ft. Stevens + Battery Russell + South Jetty Ocean side mouth of the Columbia river + Bridge from Astoria to Melger Wa if you really want the pants scared off of you.

47.The Oregon Hell Hole

48. Wind surfing and apple orchards in Hood River

49. Tillamook Cheese Factory

50. Another personal favorite, Look for real Pirate treasure on Neahkahnie Mountain and be the FTF it.

I would add the Brick factory at Monroe, but I think they tore it down. :D

Don't forget the Living Hippie Memorial, AKA Eugene!!!

"Bridge from Astoria to Melger Wa if you really want the pants scared off of you."

Do it during a big storm, now that's fun!!

Portland has the the Worlds smallest public park and the 24 hour Church of Elvis!!

I can't believe I forgot about the Church of Elvis! I loved it when it was on 2nd and Ankeny, I haven't visited the new location, yet. Mill Ends is the name of the tiny park. Portland also used to have a museum called the Velveteria, nothing but paintings on black velvet, too bad it closed down last year.

I think I spelled Megler wrong, it is not Melger, but Megler, oops, sorry Washington.

Oregon really just rules, basically :P Just sayin'

Don't believe it. All of Washington's rainy weather comes from the south (i.e.. Oregon).

About that list of supposed things to do in WA? Yeah, I guess you could do those things, if you like them in the rain. I mean, rain in Seattle looks just like rain in the San Juan Islands which looks like rain on the coast which ...

RoadsideAmerica.com has plenty of fun things to see in each state. When I moved from Iowa to Oregon, I used that site to help create my route and itinerary. A week crossing half the country and seeing things off the Interstate was much more fun than 3 days on the Interstate and not seeing very much.

Now that I geocache, I can look and see caches by many of the things I saw, which is making me want to do the drive again so I can pick up caches by the Ames Pyramid in Wyoming, and Carhenge in Nebraska.

South Dakota has of course the badlands, Wall Drug and The Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD.

i am sure there are many other things, but this all is off the top of my head so to speak.

now depending on what you consider enjoyable is what ppl can point out to you that are locals to an area.

Monty

My brother was stationed in SD for a few years, so I'd like to second the Badlands (there's a prairie dog village at the end where you can hand feed the adorable lil critters), and Wall drug (the zillions of billboards on the drive there is quite amuzing) oh, and obviously Mt Rushmore. If you stay near Rapid City, the Black Hills maze is there and that's really fun to do.

Crazy Horse was pretty impressive as well, and I really enjoyed hitting the Reptile Gardens and the Black Hills caves too.

If you like gambling, there's also Deadwood (though I wasn't very impressed, but I'm not a gambler), it's a cute lil old school Wild West town though.

And if you want to head over to Wyoming from there..... Devils Tower

*starts humming the Close Encounters theme*

Edited by Lissus