Geocache with limited hours (and pay-for-park) - thoughts?

TeamCachetiel

Hi, everyone! I'm a librarian who works in a pretty cool library building--we have the northernmost Foucault Pendulum in the world, for one thing (apparently it got waymarked :smile:)--and I'd really like to make a multi-cache, to show it off to the local geocaching community. It would be publicly accessible: we're one of those university libraries that welcomes the public.

Thing is, our archives would like to be involved, and their hours are 10-4 M-F. Not a problem for university students, faculty, and staff, and not a problem for retirees. But, as a geocacher with a job, myself, I'm a little hesitant. Plus, parking costs money until 7pm, so potential cachers who drive in would have to pay, or walk just under a mile from the nearest free parking. (We do have a bus stop right out front and places for parking bikes.)

It would be really cool to have the archives involved, because archival research is interesting and would appeal to a large subset of geocachers. We could fix some of those ideas people get from Dan Brown. :angry: And not everybody even knows we HAVE an archive here, let alone that anybody who wants to can come in and use it. It would be a great educational opportunity. And, as a bonus, one of our archivists would document the cache over time--then there would be some information about geocaching, at least as it is currently practiced in Alaska, for future researchers.

What do you guys think? Would you make an attempt at a multi-stage geocache with those hours? Or would you be annoyed by the limitation and not bother?

Thanks! :P

Hi, everyone! I'm a librarian who works in a pretty cool library building--we have the northernmost Foucault Pendulum in the world, for one thing (apparently it got waymarked :smile:)--and I'd really like to make a multi-cache, to show it off to the local geocaching community. It would be publicly accessible: we're one of those university libraries that welcomes the public.

Thing is, our archives would like to be involved, and their hours are 10-4 M-F. Not a problem for university students, faculty, and staff, and not a problem for retirees. But, as a geocacher with a job, myself, I'm a little hesitant. Plus, parking costs money until 7pm, so potential cachers who drive in would have to pay, or walk just under a mile from the nearest free parking. (We do have a bus stop right out front and places for parking bikes.)

It would be really cool to have the archives involved, because archival research is interesting and would appeal to a large subset of geocachers. We could fix some of those ideas people get from Dan Brown. :angry: And not everybody even knows we HAVE an archive here, let alone that anybody who wants to can come in and use it. It would be a great educational opportunity. And, as a bonus, one of our archivists would document the cache over time--then there would be some information about geocaching, at least as it is currently practiced in Alaska, for future researchers.

What do you guys think? Would you make an attempt at a multi-stage geocache with those hours? Or would you be annoyed by the limitation and not bother?

Thanks! :P

I don't see a problem with it, but get in touch with your reveiwer. The big question is, how do you intend to make a GPS an intergral part of the hunt? If you can figure that out, then you probably won't have a problem.

I see no problems here. There are many modes of transportation that don't involve parking right next to GZ. Lots of folks bike to caches. Or walk.

The limited hours will impact some folks but that's just part of the challenge. We have one near here that it's in a drive-in theater that's only open on Tuesdays and Thursdays for a swap meet (free parking then). Or at night, of course.

And we have a Mystery Cache that is only available on Sundays (in fact, it's called Only On Sunday).

Since it's a Multi, I do hope that all of the stages are available at the same time and not spread over the week!

Be sure to include the hours of availability in your cache page.

Hi, these hours and pay to park could deter alot of folks. If all the other parts are more availible, it might be better to leave out the achives as part of your multi. However you could make a separate cache for the archives. That way ppl could do both or just the multi as meets their needs. Good luck!

I've done lots of caches that were only available during certain hours. Also many caches in parks or town beaches where there was a parking fee. Not a problem. As mentioned, how do you make use of a gps part of the hunt? I've done library caches where the coords were the library parking lot or front door, but I don't think those get approved anymore. Sounds like a great idea, hope you get it done!

I don't see a problem with it, but get in touch with your reveiwer. The big question is, how do you intend to make a GPS an intergral part of the hunt? If you can figure that out, then you probably won't have a problem.

That is a key, You need to include GPS use in the hunt somehow.

Another potential issue is that you are obviously excited about your archive. You would need to temper that enthusiasm when writing your cache page, lest it come off as an agenda.

Other that that, I think you have a fabulous idea. Go for it!

I've done library caches where the coords were the library parking lot or front door, but I don't think those get approved anymore. Sounds like a great idea, hope you get it done!

We have found a puzzle cache whose coords are to the library entrance. It's one of my absolute favorites. We found another similar one at UC Santa Barbara that was a lot of fun, and those coords are to the entrance also.

On the topic of parking and fees, people in my area tend to avoid caches that require entrance fees and/or parking fees. We have one at the nearby lake, and I'm the only one who has found it since you have to pay to enter the area.

I think any University cache is a great idea, and I hope you can work this one out. Definitely be really clear on the hours each stage is available, and parking coords would be very much appreciated to those not familiar with the area. We've cached at several universities, and it's very frustrating to drive around trying to figure out where in the world we are allowed to park, and HOW to pay to park. Cachers will appreciate that information.

Good luck!

Sounds like a good idea to me. My first thought was a Wherigo cache or even an Earthcache. But whatever you come up with to get them there would work for me.

earthcache?

how does a Foucault Pendulum or an Archive qualify as a geological feature?

this would make a perfect virtual cache

Edited by t4e