Acronyms can have more than one meaning

Scooter Rider

In aviation SOB means "souls on board" and is filled in on a flight plan. One of my first instructors told me it was important because the search and rescue guys needed to know how many arms and legs to look for after a crash. (Not very encouraging to someone afraid of heights that was learning how to fly!!)

Also in aviation (and elsewhere) SAR stands for "search and rescue" as opposed to SARs - a highly contagious virus.

SBA as it's used in the forums trips me up. Also work in the medical field and we use SBA for stand by assist.

Part of my paying job in the banking industry is dealing with the government requirements for loans guaranteed by the Small Business Administration. I always think of "SBA loans" as "loans that won't get paid back."

Swag in the geocaching sense isn't an acronym.

In some cases it is - Stuff We All Get.

The word swag goes back nearly 200 years and was used as a term for a thieve's booty. Eventually it came to describe booty or treasure in general, and most recently freebies. That it stands for Stuff We All Get is an "Urban Legend" for lack of a better description.

How about:

CO= cache owner and commanding officer (and an abbreviation of Colorado)

NA = Needs archived and North America

Edited by briansnat

The word swag goes back nearly 200 years and was used as a term for a thieve's booty. Eventually it came to describe booty or treasure in general, and most recently freebies. That it stands for Stuff We All Get is an "Urban Legend" for lack of a better description.

"Urban Legend" doesn't really fit. I think the term you are looking for is "backronym." Or maybe "Folk etymology."

"Urban Legend" doesn't really fit. I think the term you are looking for is "backronym." Or maybe "Folk etymology."

Cool, never heard of backronym but it fits.

FTF has several meanings beyond caching:

Failure To Function/Feed/Fire

The last couple of those are firearms specific. Also SOB in firearms is Small Of Back, a method of carry or a holster.

Either Role Playing Game or Rocket Propelled Grenade.... It trips me up all the time.

You sure wouldn't want to mix up those things! :laughing: