Looking for Dave

Bucket&Boomer

Yeah that is strange...HH242 finds one of our "Geo-Boxes" which is a direct result from an idea given to us by a chance meeting in the desert with Dave, which brings me here to investigate just exactly how "nosy" you folks are so in turn i can modify my game so more of my boxes do not get found before its time, so i post up a (true) story of that meeting and you folks find the guy...proving that i do indeed need to step up my game if i want these boxes to remain un-found for long periods of time because you folks are far more advanced of anything i had anticipated, i dont even know how SwineFlew managed to find pictures of Dave, but to you folks its all in a days work. Boomer just confirmed that is indeed Daves last name so the 1% has just been erased. 100% Found............SwineFlew= WINNER !!!!!

I am so resisting the attempt to reference a famous Cheech & Chong routine, but since this is indeed a cool story, I won't.

Why is that, Dave's not here?

:)

Wait -- dave is not here is right here. or not. Or something....

So funny. I wondered if that would get posted. That's my wife's cache. It had another name, until she submitted it and got the GC code for the cache... and a new cache idea was born.

:D

I had to re-type this post three times because its hard to type when your laughing so hard....Blue Deuce you crack me up..."can i keep him" now thats funny!!! The picture SwineFlew just posted up to me still looks like Dave but theres still 1% that it might not be, for one thing my photographic memory is now so bad i'm down to "black and white" and i only met him once for a total of about 45 minutes almost three years ago but i'm still leaning to that being him......FINAL ANSWER.....that....is....Dave.
That Dave owns caches in the area, as well. He was most likely checking up on one of his own caches on the day that you ran into him, because his profile doesn't show any finds around the date you suggested.
Well.......................i would have to say.................YES !! now keeping in mind the photo is small so i cant really recognize the face too much and it was a few years ago but what i do remember is that he told me his wife had passed away and geo caching keeps him occupied since he is retired, also i remember what a beautiful quad he had, and the brand which is a common brand but not that common in the 4x4 models which if someone posted up claiming to be Dave then i could use that question to verify the authenticity.

But i would put this at 99% that this indeed is "THE DAVE" which means once verified, that Swineflew wins the prize!! BlueDeuce...nope not him. But i gotta say this post has been one heck of alot of fun and you guys are truly great at this game!!!

This is from the gallery on his profile page:

52718efe-c073-4f72-9952-3b4cc2590e4c.jpg

i dont even know how SwineFlew managed to find pictures of Dave, but to you folks its all in a days work.

boredom... at least that was my excuse. i found him too, but wished to remain a lurker on this thread since i am more likely to hi-jack a thread.

:D

Thats about right. If I dont do anything, I will be hi-jacking threads from left to right. :)

I do believe that everbody does know a Dave, i work with one, so consider this, on wednesday i throw up an old story about meeting a geo cacher way out in the desert by the name of Dave and by friday someone found him, how freeking amazing is that!!!!! I cant wait to tell Boomer about this one.

That was a fun read. Thanks for the smiles :laughing:

I know a Dave too. Real neat guy, not a geo-cacher, thouhgh. :blink:

I have in fact found 2 geocaches with Dave Ulmer's log on paper "the father of geocaching". He has logged a very few online, but has found and written on the paper log many more.

I met and went caching with a Dave yesterday before the event in Barstow, CA.

I hope you returned him to the National Strategic Dave Reserve afterwards. There's not nearly enough Daves to go around these days, what with people naming their boys Anthony, Thomas and -pfft- Ryan.

Gods Eye View, the oldest active cache in Los Angeles County, was placed by Dave. Not Ulmer though. He does have a last name, which he wrote in the log book when he placed the cache. He found at least a couple of other caches despite what it looks like -- he created a new account each time, but in reading old logs on other cachers in the area, I found two where he posted "met so-and-so, told them about my Gods Eye View cache". Not a common last name, I once called what seemed like the most likely one in the area, but it was not the right one, and I gave up after that.

Edward

Hey Dragonswest i got news for ya those three names Anthony, Thomas and Ryan are also obsolete these days the latest names are now Aiden,Jacob,Jackson,Ethan and Jaydon......personally i like mine....."Bucket"... its original...it rolls off the tongue just right and fits my personality to a tee and i have never had anyone say "you know...you dont look like a "Bucket"

So let me get this straight... we got two pages of bantering back and forth...everyones having fun, then suddenly a possum hunter comes in, and cant resist telling all of us the bad news. So with his best one liner...the very best..he can come up with is to inform us all that "Daves not here man"??? WOW!! we havent figured that one out yet, and thanks to you manville we are all on the right path now and can go about our daily lives...i dont know how we coped without someone like you shaking us back to reality. I find it hard to believe you own a computer dude. I guess you possum hunters are some real animated characters eh?? I can see it now..."Hey Dave... look up that tree...see anything?...nope no possum here man."

So let me get this straight... we got two pages of bantering back and forth...everyones having fun, then suddenly a possum hunter comes in, and cant resist telling all of us the bad news. So with his best one liner...the very best..he can come up with is to inform us all that "Daves not here man"??? WOW!! we havent figured that one out yet, and thanks to you manville we are all on the right path now and can go about our daily lives...i dont know how we coped without someone like you shaking us back to reality. I find it hard to believe you own a computer dude. I guess you possum hunters are some real animated characters eh?? I can see it now..."Hey Dave... look up that tree...see anything?...nope no possum here man."

You must be Bucket. I would expect a Boomer to get the literary allusion which the possum hunter was making.

"It's me, Dave. I got the stuff. Let me in."

Please, continue with the personal insults. Only I have to fear the moderators on this site. Why would you find it hard to belive that I own a computer? Am I not allowed to post in YOUR forum?

I'm a Cheech & Chong fan dude. It's me, Dave! Now let me in!

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters

Please, continue with the personal insults. Only I have to fear the moderators on this site. Why would you find it hard to belive that I own a computer? Am I not allowed to post in YOUR forum?

Dave

Cheech and Chong

"Dave's not here, man!" - by Cheech and Chong

(Soft knocks at the door)

CHONG: Who is it?

CHEECH: It's me, Dave. Open up, man, I got the stuff.

(More knocks)

CHEECH: It's me, Dave, man. Open up, I got the stuff.

CHONG: Who?

CHEECH: It's, Dave, man. Open up, I think the cops saw me come in here.

(More knocks)

CHEECH: It's, Dave, man. Will you open up, I got the stuff with me.

CHEECH: Dave, man. Open up.

CHONG: Dave?

CHEECH: Yeah, Dave. C'mon, man, open up, I think the cops saw me.

CHONG: Dave's not here.

CHEECH: No, man, I'm Dave, man.

(Sharp knocks at the door)

CHEECH: Hey, c'mon, man.

CHEECH: It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me.

CHEECH: Dave, man. Open up.

CHEECH: Yeah, Dave.

CHEECH: What the xxxx? No, man, I am Dave, man. Will you...

(More knocks)

CHEECH: C'mon! Open up the door, will you? I got the stuff with me, I think the cops

saw me.

CHEECH: Oh, what the xxxx is it...c'mon. Open up the door! It's Dave!

CHEECH: Dave! D-A-V-E! Will you open up the xxxxxxx door!

CHEECH: Yeah, Dave!

CHEECH: Right, man. Dave. Now will you open up the door?

Go look up a tree, you may find a geocache.

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters

I had actually had tried to post thru my phone a few days earlier but only ended up quoting. Anyway let me try this again by starting out saying that i am in probably way too many forums but usually they go south when someone tosses in a one liner few understand. I think Cheech and Chongs last movie was in what 84? so excuse me for letting that one slip by...anyway, i did jump to conclusions and now must man up and apologize for that. I really am sorry ..Manville Possum Hunter...for jamming you up like that, i really should not be jumping to conclusions. What say you???

I had actually had tried to post thru my phone a few days earlier but only ended up quoting. Anyway let me try this again by starting out saying that i am in probably way too many forums but usually they go south when someone tosses in a one liner few understand. I think Cheech and Chongs last movie was in what 84? so excuse me for letting that one slip by...anyway, i did jump to conclusions and now must man up and apologize for that. I really am sorry ..Manville Possum Hunter...for jamming you up like that, i really should not be jumping to conclusions. What say you???

I am used to being insulted and talked down to in these forums. Just read the post above yours. I was only trying to join the fun. Sorry for intruding.