Looking for Dave

Bucket&Boomer

One day a few years ago Boomer and i were out testing a polaris UTV, we were in Bullhead AZ and since the UTV was a rental i thought i was smarter than the average bear and would bring along a plug kit in case of a flat tire, well 10 miles into the hills...while exploring an old gold mining area, we were coming out of a mine shaft when we noticed the UTV had a flat tire...AHH-HAA!!!...Bucket to the rescue!! i pull out my plug kit and get ready to plug the tire, (it had a small puncture in it) when a very realistic and horrible thought came to mind....I FORGOT A PUMP !!!! and we are in the middle of nowhere (at first i thought ..well Boomers full of hot air, surely he could blow up a tire)

As unbelievable as it may seem.. we stumbled upon a miracle...no, not a pair of high quality jogging shoes for the marathon hike we had ahead of us!! But further up the dry streambed or wash as we call it was a very nice Quad with no one near it, now assuming how well setup this quad was we new the owner had to have a pump we could borrow but he was nowhere in site, well Boomer tracked him down a few hundred yards away curiously looking in one particular spot, well he stopped what he was doing and promptly helped us out with our dilema, after the tire was pumped up and holding air we asked him what he was doing and he said..."Geo-Caching" this was very strange for two gold prospectors to comprehend, that the idea is to go out and find something of no value and then put it back but there must be something to this "Geo-caching thing because this guy says he does it 4-5 times a week...all day...and loves it!!! anyway to make a long story longer we decided to look into the geo-caching craze and found that if we put our own twist to it, that its a blast of fun. And now its a part of our regular routine, and it all started with a flat tire, a super cool guy named Dave and a fun game called "Geo-Caching" and i know Dave reads these forums so i'm hoping he will see this post, Thanks again Dave...You Rock !! sorry we missed you last time and we definitely will be having that steak dinner in december when we roll back up to Bullhead.

PS. I have Dave's phone number but just to see how good he really is i figured to make this post a kind of "verbal geo-cache" lets see if he can find this one buried in the forums...good luck

Bucket.

One day a few years ago Boomer and i were out testing a polaris UTV, we were in Bullhead AZ and since the UTV was a rental i thought i was smarter than the average bear and would bring along a plug kit in case of a flat tire, well 10 miles into the hills...while exploring an old gold mining area, we were coming out of a mine shaft when we noticed the UTV had a flat tire...AHH-HAA!!!...Bucket to the rescue!! i pull out my plug kit and get ready to plug the tire, (it had a small puncture in it) when a very realistic and horrible thought came to mind....I FORGOT A PUMP !!!! and we are in the middle of nowhere (at first i thought ..well Boomers full of hot air, surely he could blow up a tire)

As unbelievable as it may seem.. we stumbled upon a miracle...no, not a pair of high quality jogging shoes for the marathon hike we had ahead of us!! But further up the dry streambed or wash as we call it was a very nice Quad with no one near it, now assuming how well setup this quad was we new the owner had to have a pump we could borrow but he was nowhere in site, well Boomer tracked him down a few hundred yards away curiously looking in one particular spot, well he stopped what he was doing and promptly helped us out with our dilema, after the tire was pumped up and holding air we asked him what he was doing and he said..."Geo-Caching" this was very strange for two gold prospectors to comprehend, that the idea is to go out and find something of no value and then put it back but there must be something to this "Geo-caching thing because this guy says he does it 4-5 times a week...all day...and loves it!!! anyway to make a long story longer we decided to look into the geo-caching craze and found that if we put our own twist to it, that its a blast of fun. And now its a part of our regular routine, and it all started with a flat tire, a super cool guy named Dave and a fun game called "Geo-Caching" and i know Dave reads these forums so i'm hoping he will see this post, Thanks again Dave...You Rock !! sorry we missed you last time and we definitely will be having that steak dinner in december when we roll back up to Bullhead.

PS. I have Dave's phone number but just to see how good he really is i figured to make this post a kind of "verbal geo-cache" lets see if he can find this one buried in the forums...good luck

Bucket.

You should look on the map near where you where, find a close cache, see who logged it when you where out there and then contact folks.

Bucket.

You should look on the map near where you where, find a close cache, see who logged it when you where out there and then contact folks.

Remind us again the logic behind quoting an ENTIRE long post, when a quote is not even necessary? :P

I am so resisting the attempt to reference a famous Cheech & Chong routine, but since this is indeed a cool story, I won't. I hope that you find Dave.

Soon as I read the subject line I had to wonder how long it would take.

AHAHAHAHAHA!!! I was resisting the same thing myself. :P:angry:

Last year, my webcam cache mysteriously went offline. It was in a guys house who lived on the edge of a park. His name was Dave. When I went over to see why it was offline for a couple months, his condo was empty, with a realtors lockbox on the door.

Who can guess what the first sentence of my archived log was? :smile:

Packanack... i didnt have a pump because the UTV was a rental, because normally i carry several pumps...one in each vehicle, they are cheap so why not, its better than trying to remember to take the pump each time i use a different vehicle. Andronicus...No its not Ulmer. Hoosierguy....you read my mind !! But i'm not new to forums, most of the ones i frequent turn into a slugfest by the second post so this place is very docile in comparison. So i will keep throwing the stories out there and see what happens, i'm not exactly a geo cacher (i'm a prospector) so i will try to fit in. Bucket

Packanack... i didnt have a pump because the UTV was a rental, because normally i carry several pumps...one in each vehicle, they are cheap so why not, its better than trying to remember to take the pump each time i use a different vehicle. Andronicus...No its not Ulmer. Hoosierguy....you read my mind !! But i'm not new to forums, most of the ones i frequent turn into a slugfest by the second post so this place is very docile in comparison. So i will keep throwing the stories out there and see what happens, i'm not exactly a geo cacher (i'm a prospector) so i will try to fit in. Bucket

We try to play nice. I agree this is a tame forum, but it is also more family friendly of a topic then others.

Just felt like bolding part of your post, Bucket. Except every time I try to tell them that, they don't believe me. :anicute: Also, people need to keep posting, so this doesn't slip off the first page, and Dave will see it.

Neat story. I think a lot of people find Geocaching to be a blast, once they try it out. I look back upon some of my early misadventures with a nostalgic sigh and rub the scars. Still having fun and I consider myself a life-long explorer, I just like to go places for a look-see. Finding caches has been a dash of spice to it.

For others, well, there's always daytime TV.

dhtv.gif

Well, Dave is a full time geo cacher (not many people can claim that) so we dont need to make it too easy. As for the Dave Ulmer thing...thats pretty cool i did not know that. Dragonswest...being a lifelong explorer i know you gotta have some great stories, now a post thats about a great cache is always cool, but you regulars probably tire of the same ol questions and posts and finds dont you? Lets change lanes here and throw in a few cool stories about our quests i know i'd like to hear some from a lifelong explorer or even someone who managed to bungle their first outing ever...hey, funny is funny.

Well, Dave is a full time geo cacher (not many people can claim that) so we dont need to make it too easy. As for the Dave Ulmer thing...thats pretty cool i did not know that. Dragonswest...being a lifelong explorer i know you gotta have some great stories, now a post thats about a great cache is always cool, but you regulars probably tire of the same ol questions and posts and finds dont you? Lets change lanes here and throw in a few cool stories about our quests i know i'd like to hear some from a lifelong explorer or even someone who managed to bungle their first outing ever...hey, funny is funny.
Lots of "full time cachers" never ever visit here, though. That's why the suggestion to try to find the cache that you met him at would probably be your best bet.

Briefly off-topic: I once caught the gold bug. Never have quite shaken it, but I'm no longer living in gold territory.

The photos are dated 2-25-08, so in and around that week and also since some time has gone by he did say his name was "David" and last time we were in Bullhead i called him but he said he was out of town that week so we missed him....very cool guy though, and loves geo caching.
That date helps a lot. Now, can you get us close to where it was that you met him? Coordinates from Google Maps would be great, even if just approximate.

Well on google earth i can find where his quad was parked but since i didnt see where boomer tracked him down...which was a few hundred yards or so away up and over one hillside that i dont know. his quad was at

35.02.56.32N ish x 114.26.28.10W. Bucket

A cursory search, if I got the coordinates right, turned up a 'Dirty Gordy' in the area at that time and few others that were in the area within a week or so of the provided date. None seemed to fit 'Dave'.

Well.......................i would have to say.................YES !! now keeping in mind the photo is small so i cant really recognize the face too much and it was a few years ago but what i do remember is that he told me his wife had passed away and geo caching keeps him occupied since he is retired, also i remember what a beautiful quad he had, and the brand which is a common brand but not that common in the 4x4 models which if someone posted up claiming to be Dave then i could use that question to verify the authenticity.

But i would put this at 99% that this indeed is "THE DAVE" which means once verified, that Swineflew wins the prize!! BlueDeuce...nope not him. But i gotta say this post has been one heck of alot of fun and you guys are truly great at this game!!!

I had to re-type this post three times because its hard to type when your laughing so hard....Blue Deuce you crack me up..."can i keep him" now thats funny!!! The picture SwineFlew just posted up to me still looks like Dave but theres still 1% that it might not be, for one thing my photographic memory is now so bad i'm down to "black and white" and i only met him once for a total of about 45 minutes almost three years ago but i'm still leaning to that being him......FINAL ANSWER.....that....is....Dave.

I do believe that everbody does know a Dave, i work with one, so consider this, on wednesday i throw up an old story about meeting a geo cacher way out in the desert by the name of Dave and by friday someone found him, how freeking amazing is that!!!!! I cant wait to tell Boomer about this one.

I think it is because we are a nosy bunch, with a specific need to find things (sorry Dave, I'm calling you a thing for the moment).

I think it was interesting that some one found one of your boxes, and you found your way here.

Bucket.

Remind us again the logic behind quoting an ENTIRE long post, when a quote is not even necessary? :D

Sorry, I didn't know about the pixel shortage.

Didn't mean to upset you.