Adopting Caches

TimtheEnchanterr

Hello Indiana cachers! I still have yet to find anyone to help me hide my first cache and show me how its done, so I will try this method :) There are a couple of caches around that have obviously been muggled for a while, and the owner has yet to replace them. I see that there are certain caches that have been adopted. How does one go about adopting a cache? I thought if I adopted one, that I can at least sort of be able to say that I have gotten to hide a cache :laughing: Anyway, if anyone knows how this is done, please help me out. And also, if anyone is in the Knightstown/Greenfield area and would like to show me how to actually hide my own cache, I will be glad to hear from you as well. Happy hunting :laughing:

Saw one of your posts on another thread. I would hold off on attempting to hide or even adopting a cache until you can either borrow consistently or purchase your own GPS unit. This is from the Guidelines for hiding a cache

You as the owner of the cache must visit the site and obtain the coordinates with a GPS. GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions.

So, I would definitely wait a while for hiding or adopting your first cache. Just my opinion.

Saw one of your posts on another thread. I would hold off on attempting to hide or even adopting a cache until you can either borrow consistently or purchase your own GPS unit. This is from the Guidelines for hiding a cache

You as the owner of the cache must visit the site and obtain the coordinates with a GPS. GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions.

So, I would definitely wait a while for hiding or adopting your first cache. Just my opinion.

Thanks. Where is the best place to buy a used one? I hate buying electronics off of ebay or craigslist because you never know what your getting. Is there a such thing as a geocaching gear website? I know there is a main site off of geocaching.com, but they don't sell used stuff.