Odd items you've found while caching

TerraViators

I was caching tonight and thought it was odd that I found 3 five gallon buckets at different locations. I picked them up because I use these things alot at home. It got me to thinking about some of the odd items you all have found while caching. Some items I've found and kept include a full 5-quart bottle of motor oil, a bungy cord, a heavy duty chain, a T-post, a fishing lure and countless items I've recycled into cache containers. You could make gas money with all the scrap metal that could be salvaged while caching.

Once when we were caching in New Mexico, we were following our GPS to a cache, it led us straight to this nice rock outcropping...which had this perfect little hollow...with a rock that was perfectly hiding...a NIB bicycle tire innertube. What the...?!?! We were so confused! Examined every inch of the box, thinking "this can't be the cache" but also "this is the exact spot...it has to be the cache!" We went home and logged our DNF, and the cache owner e-mailed me to say that he checked on the cache, it was still there, but he didn't find the innertube anywhere. We went back a week or two later, still led us straight to the innertube. Never found the cache, but we decided to keep the innertube! :P

The weirdest thing ever was these little rock shrines that had used condoms and bones in them. I'm not kidding. It was the freakiest thing.

Other than that, we've found somewhat useful items like gardening kneepads (although I shiver to think why they were behind a neighborhood fenceline in some trees), full cold unopened beer (at the bottom of a river during a float event) and a broken television set with a picture painted on it.

I find a lot of mens underwear in the woods. What is it with you guys? :angry:

We seem to find a lot of female underwear on our local mountain trails. That and a lot of shoes. And, no, we do not have a serial rapist. These people seem to shed their clothes willingly. I'm obviously hiking at the wrong time.

:P

The weirdest thing ever was these little rock shrines that had used condoms and bones in them. I'm not kidding. It was the freakiest thing.

Other than that, we've found somewhat useful items like gardening kneepads (although I shiver to think why they were behind a neighborhood fenceline in some trees), full cold unopened beer (at the bottom of a river during a float event) and a broken television set with a picture painted on it.

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING! Close the thread! We have a winner!

I find a lot of mens underwear in the woods. What is it with you guys? :angry:

We seem to find a lot of female underwear on our local mountain trails. That and a lot of shoes. And, no, we do not have a serial rapist. These people seem to shed their clothes willingly. I'm obviously hiking at the wrong time.

:P

speaking of underwear, I once found a walmart bag with 26 pairs of lacy womens underwear[i had to count them] stuck under some brush and they weren't new. there was also one size 12 basketball shoe about 10 feet from there.[this was while i was out scouting for a place to hide a cache.]

Let's see - An active Witches circle in the woods (just had to place a cache near it), many dead land animals, gross things including adult items, drugs, crack pipe in the middle of the wilderness, dead seal, dead whale, and yesterday I found an I-phone on a trail (and returned it to the owner).

WoW!

You got that? Can you place a cache there? Break up the drive from LA to the Humbolt.

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING! Close the thread! We have a winner!

Well, thanks! (I think). It was seriously so scary. I have no idea why people put them there. It made me think of the Blair Witch Project. It didn't help that they were on top of a lonely hill with no one around on a cold dark windy day. I was outta there pretty quick. Didn't find the cache either.

Human cremated remains. I found an urn in a bag with a crematorium's logo on it in the woods next to a historic cemetry. I reported it to the cemetery office and they said it was the fourth one this year. They also said that sadly, given today's economy, people cannot afford a permanent resting place and leave the remains in or around cemeteries, and this situation is on the rise. They then called the groundkeeper to retrieve the urn.

Human cremated remains. I found an urn in a bag with a crematorium's logo on it in the woods next to a historic cemetry. I reported it to the cemetery office and they said it was the fourth one this year. They also said that sadly, given today's economy, people cannot afford a permanent resting place and leave the remains in or around cemeteries, and this situation is on the rise. They then called the groundkeeper to retrieve the urn.

We found an urn at a scenic outlook. Urn had the logo on it and there were plastic flowers and picture of the departed. Sad thing was it was exposed to the elements and the lid had been knocked off and broken, leaving a plastic bag of ashes exposed. When we went back another time (still haven't found that cache) someone had put a wide cork in the opening. This whole display isn't going to last and it already looks 'abandoned' and worn.

I know it was placed with a lot of Love but it makes me very sad when I see what's happening to it.

Once when we were caching in New Mexico, we were following our GPS to a cache, it led us straight to this nice rock outcropping...which had this perfect little hollow...with a rock that was perfectly hiding...a NIB bicycle tire innertube. What the...?!?! We were so confused! Examined every inch of the box, thinking "this can't be the cache" but also "this is the exact spot...it has to be the cache!" We went home and logged our DNF, and the cache owner e-mailed me to say that he checked on the cache, it was still there, but he didn't find the innertube anywhere. We went back a week or two later, still led us straight to the innertube. Never found the cache, but we decided to keep the innertube! :D

Some people who bike hide innertubes in random places so when they are out in the middle of nowhere and get a flat they have the parts to fix it if needed. I see this around me as well and wondered why the first few times.

Once when we were caching in New Mexico, we were following our GPS to a cache, it led us straight to this nice rock outcropping...which had this perfect little hollow...with a rock that was perfectly hiding...a NIB bicycle tire innertube. What the...?!?! We were so confused! Examined every inch of the box, thinking "this can't be the cache" but also "this is the exact spot...it has to be the cache!" We went home and logged our DNF, and the cache owner e-mailed me to say that he checked on the cache, it was still there, but he didn't find the innertube anywhere. We went back a week or two later, still led us straight to the innertube. Never found the cache, but we decided to keep the innertube! :D

Some people who bike hide innertubes in random places so when they are out in the middle of nowhere and get a flat they have the parts to fix it if needed. I see this around me as well and wondered why the first few times.

Whoops! Dang, now I feel bad about taking it. :) I figured someone had stashed it on purpose, but didn't think they'd leave it for that long. We just thought it had been forgotten about. It was funny, though, how the GPS zeroed out right at that point. It would have been the perfect place for a cache!