DeLorme Cache Register 2.0 - Free Download

Team DeLorme

Just a quick note for any DeLorme Earthmate PN-Series GPS users out there... We've released the Mac version of the Cache Register widget, version 2.0. It is available as a free download at our support site here:

http://support.delorme.com/questions.php?questionid=114

The Windows version will be available soon.

New with Cache Register 2.0 - connect your PN-Series GPS and sync all of your Pocket Queries directly from Geocaching.com's website to your device, in one step. Use the Sync checkbox for each PQ to pick and choose which files to transfer.

Be sure to let us know if you have any questions. Check the DeLorme forum for Cache Register too, there are already threads going with customer discussion... http://forum.delorme.com/viewforum.php?f=151.

Happy Caching!

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

When did CacheRegister become free? I paid $10 for mine if I remember right. Was annoying because when Geocaching.com changed something, it sometimes broke CacheRegister, so I've mostly been using GSAK to import geocaches. Because of that, I haven't been keeping up on the CR news.

Ok, I feel that I almost have to be lawyer like now.

The original Cache Register, now referred to as Version 1.0, was always $10, AFAIK.

The update, Version 2.0, became available for Mac users last Tuesday at no charge.

Or, again AFAIK and IIRC, Version 1.0 was always $10 and Mac edition of Version 2.0 has always been free.

When did CacheRegister become free? I paid $10 for mine if I remember right. Was annoying because when Geocaching.com changed something, it sometimes broke CacheRegister, so I've mostly been using GSAK to import geocaches. Because of that, I haven't been keeping up on the CR news.

Ok, I feel that I almost have to be lawyer like now.

The original Cache Register, now referred to as Version 1.0, was always $10, AFAIK.

The update, Version 2.0, became available for Mac users last Tuesday at no charge.

Or, again AFAIK and IIRC, Version 1.0 was always $10 and Mac edition of Version 2.0 has always been free.

Sorry, I didn't mean to pick words apart or anything, I was just wondering if DeLorme was changing policy or anything. Like I said, I had been frustrated with the way it worked before. Hopefully this change will improve things. However, it's too late for me, I went back to Garmin with the REI sales on Oregon 450s, and will have my PN-40 for sale soon. Not that I think the PN-40 is bad; just that up to it, I always used Garmins, and still prefer it.

I too paid for my windows version of CR. While I am glad to both see the new version and that it is free, it is maddening to know that I shelled out $'s for it.

In the grand scheme of things you paid $5 for version 1 and $5 for version 2. Cheap enuff in my book. I have tried the new version, even though I own TOPO 9, and believe I will stick with GSAK. It lets we work things more to my liking. Just my .02 worth...

It appears the Windows version is now live (same link as above).

I too paid for my windows version of CR. While I am glad to both see the new version and that it is free, it is maddening to know that I shelled out $'s for it.

I paid for it too, but I still feel I got my money's worth out of it. Then again, I got it when it first came out. I would be upset if I paid for it a month ago!

It appears the Windows version is now live (same link as above).

Well, just ask for your money back. By the way so no one is not confused, WStemple lacks a lot of imagination since he/she has to steal my avatar and forum title.

Ha. I paid too much for every bit of computer stuff I ever bought. New features and downward price pressure eventually made something better, cheaper -- or the original thing, free.

DeLorme was right to make Firmware 2.8 and Cache Register 2.0 free upgrades. Market reality: there's no way to make money by charging for this stuff. Firmware 2.8 itself makes CR redundant for many users -- by adding features several competing GPSRs have had for years.

But I can understand some folks griping about it being free now. Up until a few weeks ago PN-series customer who weren't upgrading to Topo 9 were still being told by Team DeLorme that the only way to get the latest firmware was to BUY Cache Register 1.0 for $10 -- and that would qualify them for the firmware update when CR 2.0 rolled out.

It would be decent of DeLorme to refund the $10 back to anyone who bought CR 1.0 in that time frame. Not sure what the cutoff date should be. My guess would be mid to end of June. But you can go back in the DeLorme blogs, comments on their own forums, and here to see when they were steering people towards buying CR1.0 to qualify for the FW upgrade.

Not saying they HAVE to refund -- just that it would be an honourable thing.

Edited by lee_rimar

......my question is how is it working out? :unsure:

Worth the $10 that I did not have to pay! :unsure:

Yes!! Looking forward to getting to use it!! The use of a directory and being able to put caches on the SD card was one of my biggest hopes for DeLorme gps. Really liked Magellans system, and I know I'll like this when I get to use it!

BTW, is the Golden Bear Coffee House still there? Guess they rebuilt the pier too..Spent a LOT of time in H.B.!! Would ride my bicycle from Los Altos (Long Beach) to the state park at the end of Hwy 39 to go body surfing or rent surf riders for the day.

Edited by Jim McDonald
2 hours ago, K9 Crew said:

I have a PN-60 and cannot load caches.  Do I need software and if so, where do I get it?

The easiest way to log caches into a PN-60 is with pocket queries, so if you're willing to upgrade to a premium geocaching membership so you can run pocket queries.

You don't need any special software, but you do need "new" firmware on you PN-60. "New" means December, 2013. If you've got that, you can set the PN-60 to mount itself like a flash drive. If you have older firmware, I don't remember whether you need a DeLorme utility to upgrade.

I've never used GPSBabel, so I wouldn't know if Team CowboyPapa's advice is better than mine.

OK, some of it came back to me.

1.  When a pocket query includes geocaches with an associated waypoint, usually for nearby parking, the pocket query will download as a ZIP file.

2.  The ZIP file will include two GPX files.  For example, I have:  2498176_Costa Mesa Caches.gpx, and 2498176_Costa Mesa Caches-wpts.gpx; where the first file contains the caches and the second has the associated waypoints.

3.  IIRC, the original DeLorme Cache Register app combined the two files into one prior to installing them on the GPSr.

4.  The latest two updates of the DeLorme Topo NA 10.0 software that accompanied the PN-60 GPSrs, will also perform this function by actuating its GPS Sync Dialog.

5.  Alternatively, the two files can be copied onto the waypoint folder of the PN-60's SD card.

6.  It would not surprise my if the GPSBabel application also performs the same service.

7.  Note that if you want to do #6 above, you will have two distinct files whereby the DeLorme apps, and GPSBabel I assume, will combine the two files into one.