Them / Us

the4dirtydogs

I didn't know there was an Us and Them.........I was told this by another cacher........................................."It's true that for some people geocaching is finding a piece of paper at a set of coordinates and that's enough for them, but it's not enough for many of us." .....................................

Don't we all find a piece of paper in the end?

Edited by the4dirtydogs

I didn't know there was an Us and Them.........I was told this by another cacher........................................."It's true that for some people geocaching is finding a piece of paper at a set of coordinates and that's enough for them, but it's not enough for many of us." .....................................

So what is your point? :)

Are you talking about finding caches?...you know. Caches.

So what is your point? :)

I was wondering who the Us was. We are all geocachers.

I just thought this was a funny comment. In the statement in qoutes I wondered who is classified as Us, that's all.

I just thought this was a funny comment. In the statement in quotes I wondered who is classified as Us, that's all.

I'm wondering about the context of the conversation. Why was it brought up?

For some folks, that's all that's needed. And that's perfectly OK... for "them". :laughing:

If you read a brilliantly written cache page which leads you to hike 6 miles down into a canyon, eventually ducking behind a waterfall to locate an ammo can bristling with high end swag, you will likely find in there a piece of paper to put your nickname on.

If you read a 6 word cache page that guides you to a blistering, 500 acre, exhaust laden parking lot, bristling with SUVs driven by soccer moms, to find a soggy log film can under a lamp post skirt, you've still found a piece of paper.

If you find both experiences to be identical in quality, you are a "them". :)

If not, you might qualify as an "Us". :laughing:

It's all about Pink Floyd! (and bacon)

Nailed it! :laughing:

Edited by Clan Riffster

some people cringe that there isn't an epic poem on a cache page, to them i say "read dante's inferno if you are looking for 'a good read'".

geocaching isn't a best-in-show scenario where you are only going to have the premium locations, write-ups, containers, etc. you MUST take the good with the bad, outside of that, filter out those items that you might think of as "bad" - and be happy with the 5-6 caches in your area that fit the criteria.

:laughing::)

I understand that. Explain on the Us part, thats what I'm asking. :)

isn't that obvious? us = happy with finding any piece of paper and signing it. them = happy with finding a cache with stuff in it / not happy with just finding a piece of paper and nothing else. or the other way around, as you like. or any other sort of distinction between how people play the game and/or what they like and prefer.

yeah, but for some people that's not enough. back to square one. :)

I understand that. Explain on the Us part, thats what I'm asking. :laughing:

"Us", in the quote, is "all people who participate in something they refer to as geocaching".

"Them" is "A subset of 'Us' as defined above for whom finding a piece of paper at a set of coordinates is enough to be called geocaching".

"many of us" is "A subset of 'Us' as defined above for whom finding a piece of paper at a set of coordinates is not enough to be called geocaching"

Edited by Dinoprophet

yeah, but for some people that's not enough. back to square one. :angry:

I understand that. Explain on the Us part, thats what I'm asking. :smile:

"Us", in the quote, is "all people who participate in something they refer to as geocaching".

"Them" is "A subset of 'Us' as defined above for whom finding a piece of paper at a set of coordinates is enough to be called geocaching".

Therefore, All Us is them. But some them is not us.

I actually got one of my few A's in my entire academic career in that stuff. Of course that was like 20 years ago. :P

I dont like this us/them mentality.....but i will tell you what I like....

I like the soggy log i can replace.

I like the swag my daughter gets excited about.

I like the bad cache at a good location.

I like the good cache at a bad location.

I like the puzzle if I can solve it.

I like the puzzle if I cannot solve it.

I like the long poems.

I like the short easy finds.

I like the ones you bushwack for no reason.

I like the ones you have to bushwack.

I like watching for poison ivy.

I like shaking my head about a bad guardrail find.

I like lousy coordinates.

I like any number of DNFs followed by a find.

I like Geocaching. What do you like?

For some folks, that's all that's needed. And that's perfectly OK... for "them". :smile:

If you read a brilliantly written cache page which leads you to hike 6 miles down into a canyon, eventually ducking behind a waterfall to locate an ammo can bristling with high end swag, you will likely find in there a piece of paper to put your nickname on.

If you read a 6 word cache page that guides you to a blistering, 500 acre, exhaust laden parking lot, bristling with SUVs driven by soccer moms, to find a soggy log film can under a lamp post skirt, you've still found a piece of paper.

If you find both experiences to be identical in quality, you are a "them". :P

If not, you might qualify as an "Us". :angry:

If you still haven't figured out how to tell those two caches apart before looking for them, you are definitely a 'them'. Edited by sbell111

For some folks, that's all that's needed. And that's perfectly OK... for "them". :angry:

I align myself with the "hiker type geocacher," not the: "skirt lifters," or the "park & grabbers," or the worst offenders of all, the "cut & pasters."

To low of a fun quotient for me. :P

The answer is simple--US are those who enjoy bacon. THEM are those that enjoy compressed strips of soy that imitate bacon.

Problem solved.

:P