New to Geocaching :)

LoveMyGuinness

I actually just discovered this website a few days ago. My husband and I are planning to take our sons on our first "treasure hunt" this coming Saturday and I want to make sure I have a well stocked backpack. We're using a Garmin Nuvi 250 as a GPS and perhaps later, my cellphone, which is a Samsung Impression.

Today, I've been adding some things to my pack. Here's what I have. What else would you suggest?

---

Pens

Pencils & sharpener

Spiral Notebook

Notepad

Envelopes

Calculator

Knife

Miniature First Aid Kit

Maps (including DE, MD, VA and PA; as well as the local state park)

Police Issue Mace

Extra plastic bags for trash

Flashlight with 2 extra sets of batteries

Makeshift emergency replacement logs (a few index cards stapled together, in the event something is really soggy or full)

Wipeys/Napkins/TP

Extra ziplock baggies

2 lighters, 1 flint firestarter and a small fire making kit (including lint, paper, cardboard and small twigs)

2 small candles

Screwdriver with extra bits

Bike tool (allen wrench, etc)

Plant ID book

Misc- duct tape, tweezers, safety pins

Need to add- water, snacks, hand sanitizer, bug spray, compass (?) and some "swag" .... Anything else?

Please and thank you!

As maps go (mind you I'm a noobie myself) But I also download and print maps from USGS Map service Topo maps are definatly the most useful since most state maps go no where near close to the detail level of usefullness.

Might wanna toss a sharpie in there too as a JIC

A compass can be real useful as a back up item.. definatly better than a trail of breadcrumbs :)

Edited by LethanderMorninglory

Wow! That's a pretty thorough kit... but you will probably find that you are bringing too much (like I do when camping)

For instance, if you bring pens you won't need a pencil and sharpener.

A notebook is essential, but a spiral notebook will probably be left with your bag when you go into a thicket or up a tree because of its size and chances of snagging.

We prefer a sleek moleskine or similar pocket notebook in our back pocket with a quiver on it (www.quiverglobal.com) because it is compact and we can always crawl into/up any Ground Zero and know we have our notebook AND pen with us to sign the log and jot down notes. We don't cache without that combo.

I have yet to cache in PA, but in the states I have cached (and you can view my profile for that) I have never needed envelopes nor have I seen a cache that would even accept notecards.

If the log is full we just tear off some pages from our notebook (or if you are proactive,as I can tell you are, you can have some replacement logs in the Moleskine's back pocket)

Extra garbage bags and ziplock bags are thoughtful, and TP is a must.

I've only done 320 or so caches so I am not an extreme authority here, but a screwdriver has never been necessary for any of them. A simple multi-tool with a knife, screwdrivers, and needle-nosed pliers has served us for everything we've run into. You might never need the knife or the screwdriver, but you WILL need the needle nosed pliers (or tweezers)

The plant ID book is inspired - wish I had one in our kit!

I'll leave the mace/candles/flint to your discretion -those have never been an issue for us, even in Alaska.

You forgot one of the most important things - A CAMERA! Geocaching is good, often silly, usually physical fun, and it can take you places in your area that you never knew existed. A great geocache will take you somewhere interesting that you will want to remember, and the best will expose you to a physical challenge that you want to have a record of.

We have multiple variations on our kit depending on where we are going and how long we will be out, but our kit always includes:

1) Garmin

2)iPhone

3)Notebook with Quiver (www.quiverglobal.com) and pens

4)Camera

Hope this helps. Have a blast!

dnfu:)

Wow, some actually carry that much? I carry my GPSr, cell phone (Palm Centro that caches are downloaded to) and a pen. I do have some spare logs, bags and potential caches in the car trunk, but that's it. Haven't missed having anything else yet, but probably will on the next outing.

This isn't a backpack purely for geocaching; it's also our camping backpack. I have to carry bare minimum necessities, as I have small children.

Thank you for being thorough dfnu! That's really helpful :)

Thank you Danny! I figured I could use the extra ziplocks in an emergency dog poo situation. lol

Here's what we carry in our pack:

For the People:

First Aid Kit

snacks

water

TP

sunscreen

bug spray

camera

For the caches:

duct tape

extra baggies

extra paper

extra pens

wire

swag

signature items

extra containers (for our own caches)

A pre-made cache in case I find somewhere amazing to put one.

tweezers

magnets

For the GPS

charging cable

sync cable

Ha, yeah. i should mention that my "hiking/survival kit" was made way before i started caching. i've always been into wilderness survival. i take all my gear if i'm going into the woods. If i'm stopping in a parking lot, urban caches or an easy walk i'll just bring my BlackBerry and a pen. And a hat. And that's all i need too. And this lamp.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

This lamp..and this remote control... and thats all i need :P

But like many above said.. it all depends on location.. I take a heavy kit with me since a lot of mine are out in the woods hikes and I travel solo most days.. so if the worst case would happen.. slip, fall, twist an ankle break a limb.. I have supplies to survive overnight, and keep me entertained till help arrives..

If its an urban one, gps , pen and a couple items stuffed in the pocket are fine...but the rest of the kit is handy in the car

That is quite a bit of stuff. Are you doing a long hike or overnighter? Welcome to the world of caching I hope you guys have a great time and will let us know how it went. We all love to hear a good cachin' story.

I just carry it in my car all the time in a small backpack, not that much stuff, really.

Eventually you have to take it out of the car and carry it though. Everyone should take what they think they need I suppose.