CacheCard project -- full color plastic cards -- would people buy them?

skandranon

I'm considering starting a project which will allow full color pictures, a printed goal, and a tracking number and "secret" on a plastic card.

If people would buy these things, I'll likely do the project. If not, well, I'll do it for myself. icon_smile.gif

Please have a look at Skan's CacheCard Project for details.

Here's a sample, featuring my African Grey's picture:

sample.png

If there is interest, I can begin coding the tracking system and start printing and mailing them within a few weeks.

what a great idea...

but unfortunatly, although TBs cost money, hopefully some of that money goes back into the website to keep it up. if done by ourselves, the website would lose valuable contributions that keep us all in touch with our sport.

id buy them if a small portion went back to the administrators of the site.

kaveh

My initial intent was to track them on my own site, rather than on the geocaching site. I'd happily share a use database if that were possible.

I want to have the images up on the web too, so you can see what the card looks like without getting the card, although much smaller and not nearly as cool since you can't touch it. icon_smile.gif

If the tracking were merged directly into the TB tracking site, that's an alltogether different matter. If that happened, I'd be happy to either turn the whole thing over to them or arrange some sort of profit share where some portion is given back to them.

Has geocaching.com asked for contributions in the past, or has their merchandise logo sales fixed any need?

I was thinking of having trading cards for each cacher. Maybe with a pic of the avatar or real pic, their home state, favorite cache story, and other interesting facts.

Then we coudl collect and trade thm like real baseball cards.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

quote:
Originally posted by NUGUNSLINGER:

what a great idea...

but unfortunatly, although TBs cost money, hopefully some of that money goes back into the website to keep it up.

I think you mean to say, "some of that money goes back to THIS (gc.com)website."

quote:
if done by ourselves, the website would lose valuable contributions that keep us all in touch with our sport.

No doubt, this, or any other site costs money to operate, but I find Groundspeak travelbugs a bit expensive for what they are. If Jeremy would start selling those taglessTBs that he brought up so many months ago, I think this site's tracking features would win out over other options.

quote:
id buy them if a small portion went back to the administrators of the site.

So make a donation to the site of your choosing and then tracking your travelers however you would like.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Rygel:

I was thinking of having trading cards for each cacher. Maybe with a pic of the avatar or real pic, their home state, favorite cache story, and other interesting facts.

Then we coudl collect and trade thm like real baseball cards.

You can buy these at www.cachunuts.com. It has a picture of the cacher and their name on the front and Caching milestones for that cacher on the back. Sort of like player stats. I have no financial interest in these cards I just know that the Cach-U-Nuts are well known cachers here in Utah.