Purchasing a Garmin Nuvi 1300 ~ maybe!

CrazyCate

I am thinking of buying the Garmin Nuvi 1300 for geocaching. Will this unit work for this? Can I program it to have the cache icons on the screen so if I'm driving they'll just show up? I want to purchase a new GPS, but want to get one that will work the best to do geocaching. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

I have a Nuvi 1300. Yes you can upload Geocache information to this unit.

If you use GSAK and tou can load the cache information as a favorite or you can export all the cache information (GS Number, Name, Description, Hint, Logs etc.) as a POI file. Once loaded into the 1300 you can create a route to a cache just like any other waypoint, and the 1300 will provide turn by turn directions to the cache.

The problem is once you reach the cache site the 1300 does not offer much as far as off road navigation. It does not have a compass type pointer like the hand held (Garmin 60Csx etc). I believe the only Nuvi that offers off road Geocaching mode is the 550.

Hope that helps.

If you use GSAK and tou can load the cache information as a favorite or you can export all the cache information (GS Number, Name, Description, Hint, Logs etc.) as a POI file. Once loaded into the 1300 you can create a route to a cache just like any other waypoint, and the 1300 will provide turn by turn directions to the cache.

The problem is once you reach the cache site the 1300 does not offer much as far as off road navigation. It does not have a compass type pointer like the hand held (Garmin 60Csx etc). I believe the only Nuvi that offers off road Geocaching mode is the 550.

Hope that helps.

I have a question about the 1300.... I currently have a Nuvi 205W and, like you, I use it to navigate to the cache. once in the general area, I switch my Nuvi to Offroad mode and Pedestrian mode. Now the arrow won't "stick" to the road and will show you when you are getting close to the cache... Do you know if the 1300 has these settings?

Hope that helps.

Thanks, that did help. Can you change it to the pedestrian mode after you've reached the location for the off road navigation?

If you have to have a single in-car / caching unit and insist on the in car format, look at the Nuvi 500 and 550. They are geocaching friendly (with pointer screens for on foot navigation to the cache).

Personally I would recommend a lower cost in car unit (like a refurb Nuvi 200W) and a low cost handheld (like the $90 eTrex H) to allow you stay on budget and have the best of both worlds. You can load the full cache info on the Nuvi (using the paperless nuvi macro and GSAK) and then use the eTrex H for the 'last leg' of your caching adventures.