Good Cheap Cache Containers

Darren V

I'd be hard pressed to come up with a better regular sized container than a $5 ammo can. I realize they're not allowed in all areas, but I've yet to see one leak, or degrade to the point of geotrash. I know there's cheaper containers out there, but I don't know of any that hold up as well for that small amount of money.

I'd be hard pressed to come up with a better regular sized container than a $5 ammo can. I realize they're not allowed in all areas, but I've yet to see one leak, or degrade to the point of geotrash. I know there's cheaper containers out there, but I don't know of any that hold up as well for that small amount of money.

The only ammo can out here for sale is 16$!

Wow! I know the price is up on those things but that is nuts! I'd stick with the second best at those prices. Lock-N-Locks.

Lowes or Home Depot has a variety of PVC pipe pieces that you can use to make your own containers. Just buy a straight piece with threads on both ends, two caps, et viola: a cheap yet durable container.
Threaded caps on PVC pipes leak if they're loose enough to open without tools, and they require tools to open if they're tight enough not to leak. Plus, they aren't very inexpensive by the time you finish buying all the bits and pieces.
Lowes or Home Depot has a variety of PVC pipe pieces that you can use to make your own containers. Just buy a straight piece with threads on both ends, two caps, et viola: a cheap yet durable container.
Threaded caps on PVC pipes leak if they're loose enough to open without tools, and they require tools to open if they're tight enough not to leak. Plus, they aren't very inexpensive by the time you finish buying all the bits and pieces.

Concur! I built a monkey puzzle from this material and my cost was $34.04 with tax at lowes.[not cheap for one puzzle(has one find so far)]

PVC does somehow leak because theres a hotel i trade at sometimes and theres usually a half inch of water in it which i pour out every time. luckily the logbook is in a ziplock baggie.

PVC does somehow leak because theres a hotel i trade at sometimes and theres usually a half inch of water in it which i pour out every time. luckily the logbook is in a ziplock baggie.

To quote Clan Rifster: "If you must use a baggie to keep your log dry, your container has already failed at a very basic level."

Why do so many people search for the cheapest container? Spend a little bit more and get something that you won't have to replace, and you'll save money in the long run.

Agreed. PVC containers have been discussed many times in these forums over the years, and the consensus has always been that they make very poor containers in the long run, for exactly the two reasons that niraD mentioned, not to mention that they can easily be mistaken as a pipe bomb.

I once priced making a container out of PVC and it came out to over $12. Hardly cheap, nevermind that I've never found a dry cache inside one.

I once priced making a container out of PVC and it came out to over $12. Hardly cheap, nevermind that I've never found a dry cache inside one.
Actually, I've seen PVC used effectively in two situations. I've seen several kayak caches that used PVC not as caches, but as an outer case to hold the caches. The PVC case provided a solid attachment mechanism, protection from structural damage, and a little shelter from water. The caches inside were safe and dry.

I've also seen underwater caches that used PVC pipe with a cap at one end and a ball valve at the other. The cache was secured so the ball valve was at the bottom, so air pressure would keep most of the water out even if the ball valve wasn't closed properly.

But neither design is cheap, especially the one that used the ball valve. And this thread is about good cheap cache containers.

On that topic, I think it's worth investing a bit in a good container. You don't have to invest a lot (waterproof match cases are only $1), but using a poor container isn't worth the savings. With a poor container, either you'll be spending more time maintaining it, or those who find it will have to deal with soggy logs, damaged trade items, etc.

There's a caching team here that uses Jiff peanut butter jars. They are fantastic! All the caches of theirs are dry inside! Even when the outsides were muddy. We get torrential downpours here too. i have one peanut butter jar that i put bleach water in and let soak. i haven't hidden it yet but i will.

i have a plastic spice jar as a cache. i also have a plastic jar that once help those alcohol face pads. Both are holding up great.

i got an ammo can for $8 at a geocaching store in cocoa!

In my experience, "Good" and "Cheap" rarely belong in the same sentence, no matter what you are talking about. :)

i do agree with that. i have paid for 5 of my 7 cache containers. They're pretty cool. But, necessity is the mother of invention! i love to see home made containers. Part of the fun of caching for me is seeing all the different containers. And then getting to know what works and what doesn't.

Are ammo cans waterproof? i found one the other day with water in it and was shocked!

$16 !!!!....well thats why this great country runs from the west coast to the best coast :)

here in NS we can get them at the surplus for around 8 or 9 $. the bigger ones are more and its seems strange the condition doesnt seem to matter in relation to the price so i dug through to find newer looking ones :laughing:

Edit: there is a place in vancouver thats got them for $11.99 (still pricey i know :laughing: ) www.camouflage.ca

Edited by Highland Horde

definitely have to shop around for ammo cans. price locally was much dif then if i made the drive either north or south for them.

8 for a 30 cal can if i drive

12 for the same can if i buy in town

10 for 50 cal if i drive

15 for same can if i buy local.

drive is about 17 miles either direction.

i looked through what they had as the first one i picked up was damaged on the sealing edge and i didnt want that. tough to open or close was ok by me i just didnt want bent or dinged up sealing edges.

we have decided for our first hides we want to do larger ones. as we sometimes have a tough time finding caches big enough for TB's

Monty

In my experience, "Good" and "Cheap" rarely belong in the same sentence, no matter what you are talking about. :)

I dissagree, I find great containers (including knock off, but just as good, lock n locks) at the dollar store. Some even come with 2 or 3 to a pack! Also garage sales have tons of great containers (as well as SWAG). And if you still cant find a good container, then check your RECYCLING! Your bound to have a pill bottle or peanut butter jar (or any jar) in there! The most I've ever paid for a container was $2.95 (a magnetic key holder, that i do NOT recommend). I only have 8 active caches, but I posses more than 20 containers, dedicated to geocaching.

I dont know why anyone would pay for an ammo box, i go pull them out of dumpsters by the rang on base for free, my house is filled with them. Been trying to come with new ways to use them I have so many, they are now photo and trinket boxes under my bed.

Didnt realize you guys buy them then put them out, i would never pay for something then put it out with the chance of it never being scene again. Could be the city girl still in me though i live in the country now.

I dont know why anyone would pay for an ammo box, i go pull them out of dumpsters by the rang on base for free, my house is filled with them. Been trying to come with new ways to use them I have so many, they are now photo and trinket boxes under my bed.

Didnt realize you guys buy them then put them out, i would never pay for something then put it out with the chance of it never being scene again. Could be the city girl still in me though i live in the country now.

Some of us don't have access to a base.

I do make some containers out of pvc and it cost me less than that i make mind about 1-2 inch pipes i buy a 12 ft piece and some caps and gule them and than paint them camo and place a log (paper) into them and they are ready to hind that easy//plus i buy my amo boxs for about2-3 buck$$///Iknow people that has an shop that has amo boxs for cheap :)

...(including knock off, but just as good, lock n locks)...

Most of us have learned, over the years, that the Dollar store Lock & Lock knock offs are not nearly as sturdy as the original. They are made with a lesser grade of plastic, and as such, they suffer from exposure and handling much faster than the real thing. Experience has taught us that saving a few pennies today will cost us a significant amount of time spent doing maintenance tomorrow.

...(including knock off, but just as good, lock n locks)...

Most of us have learned, over the years, that the Dollar store Lock & Lock knock offs are not nearly as sturdy as the original. They are made with a lesser grade of plastic, and as such, they suffer from exposure and handling much faster than the real thing. Experience has taught us that saving a few pennies today will cost us a significant amount of time spent doing maintenance tomorrow.

In my experience, dollar store knock-offs last from 3-6 months out in the wild and then a tab breaks off and the seal is compromised. We have real lock n lock cache containers that have lasted 5 years (and counting) in the wild.

i am new to caching and are not quite ready to hide any yet, but from what i have read is you need to pay attention to what works in your area. and not the new ones, but the ones that have been around a few years. see if they are original or if they have been replaced. some areas have better luck with this type or that type of container. depending on your location you have rain, winds, heat, cold, or snow to deal with. in some areas you might have more then one of those to deal with. i have also read that some caches are not found often and some are found very often. this might play a part in the lifespan of a container. more opening and closing will affect the container.

i would also imagine that the cachers themselves could play a part in the lifespan of a container. how careful are they with opening and closing? how careful are they in putting things back as they found it? are cachers trying to stuff things into the containers thus misshaping it to cause damage or aid in the leak or break department?

then you have the muggles that might find a cache....after they clean it our or just find it are they going to put it back nicely? are they going to close it nicely?

just my newbie thoughts.

Monty