Is this typical ?

K9JCA

Sorry if this a newbie question but this was my first Geocoin find. The Geocoin is a picture of (both front and back), not the actual coin, in a plastic case. I took and logged just like the real thing and since we were out of town when we found will be placing in the next cache that it will fit in. Seems like a good idea. The original owner can keep the actual coin for his / her collection and still watch it move about. So, my question is; is this an ok way to do?

Sorry if this a newbie question but this was my first Geocoin find. The Geocoin is a picture of (both front and back), not the actual coin, in a plastic case. I took and logged just like the real thing and since we were out of town when we found will be placing in the next cache that it will fit in. Seems like a good idea. The original owner can keep the actual coin for his / her collection and still watch it move about. So, my question is; is this an ok way to do?

It is pretty typical, at least in my area. Some folks just want to keep the coin in their own collections, and other times it's done because the real coin got stolen, or picked up and never released again. A couple of guys from my area don't even try to make them look like the actual coin, they buy little keychains and stick the tracking number on them. The icon remains the same either way.

It's even got a name. It's called a Proxy Coin. For when the original gets lost, it's a copy. Or when the owner can't bring themselves to part with the real deal, because of the loss rate, but still wants to share it. Some of them are really well made. You've got the right idea. It's meant to travel, just like a Trackable item should.

It's even got a name. It's called a Proxy Coin. For when the original gets lost, it's a copy. Or when the owner can't bring themselves to part with the real deal, because of the loss rate, but still wants to share it. Some of them are really well made. You've got the right idea. It's meant to travel, just like a Trackable item should.

:)

;)

I'm glad to see this thread. We have a lot of really adorable coins and we are torn between wanting to watch them travel and not wanting them to get stolen/lost/etc. I think it we make the "proxy" cute and of the same theme, it might run less of a chance of being kept/lost.

If it is lost/MIA for a period of time, are you allowed to replace it with a new "proxy"?

;)

I'm glad to see this thread. We have a lot of really adorable coins and we are torn between wanting to watch them travel and not wanting them to get stolen/lost/etc. I think it we make the "proxy" cute and of the same theme, it might run less of a chance of being kept/lost.

If it is lost/MIA for a period of time, are you allowed to replace it with a new "proxy"?

Yes, but you should be sure the original is really gone. Multiple clones are frowned on by the PTB and can lead to the travel page being frozen for good.

;)

The one we found was really done quite well. It looked just like the real thing. They had taken a color picture, both front and back, then cut out and glued together. Then placed in plastic case.