Finally picked a GPSr out from the herd...

BZLuck

Been looking around and reading here, and as much as I'd like to plop down the dough for a top of the line Garmin touchscreen GPS that simultaniously tracks Soviet warheads, I realized I didn't need all of that.... Yet. I was also hesitant about purchasing something used, even here. I've just learned too many lessons there to save ~30% on a brand new product with no waranty or returnability, etc. Especially with electronic devices.

I already have a Garmin Nuvi in my Xterra, so I didn't need another turn by turn GPS.

I also decided that I would think as "paperless" as possible, and the search narrowed a bit more.

So I went and did it yesterday. I saw the ad from Target for the Magellan eXplorist GC for $169 and decided to give it a spin. Got the last one in stock at my local store. Updated the FW to 1.4 and did the VERY nice and easy drag and drop of the pocket query GPX files directly onto the unit. (Also upgraded to Premium here!)

I read every thread here about the GC, and the only real "complaints" seem to be from those that used to have a higher-end GPSr's and this one doesn't do everything their other one did. Well it's also sub-$200 instead of over $400. Other than that most people seemed to have pleasant experiences with their GC, so long as they understood that it was not the "ultimate GPS that does everything for less money" unit. Which I do. It's a place to start under $200, and other than the premium membership here, I don't have to purchase anything else to get it up and running.

This was all late yesterday after football, so no bush-groping has been done yet, but there are 2 or 3 caches within walking distance of both my home and my office that I'm gonna check out asap.

So I guess, I'm just giving a shout-out to other GC owners to wish me luck out there!

Been looking around and reading here, and as much as I'd like to plop down the dough for a top of the line Garmin touchscreen GPS that simultaniously tracks Soviet warheads, I realized I didn't need all of that.... Yet. I was also hesitant about purchasing something used, even here. I've just learned too many lessons there to save ~30% on a brand new product with no waranty or returnability, etc. Especially with electronic devices.

I already have a Garmin Nuvi in my Xterra, so I didn't need another turn by turn GPS.

I also decided that I would think as "paperless" as possible, and the search narrowed a bit more.

So I went and did it yesterday. I saw the ad from Target for the Magellan eXplorist GC for $169 and decided to give it a spin. Got the last one in stock at my local store. Updated the FW to 1.4 and did the VERY nice and easy drag and drop of the pocket query GPX files directly onto the unit. (Also upgraded to Premium here!)

I read every thread here about the GC, and the only real "complaints" seem to be from those that used to have a higher-end GPSr's and this one doesn't do everything their other one did. Well it's also sub-$200 instead of over $400. Other than that most people seemed to have pleasant experiences with their GC, so long as they understood that it was not the "ultimate GPS that does everything for less money" unit. Which I do. It's a place to start under $200, and other than the premium membership here, I don't have to purchase anything else to get it up and running.

This was all late yesterday after football, so no bush-groping has been done yet, but there are 2 or 3 caches within walking distance of both my home and my office that I'm gonna check out asap.

So I guess, I'm just giving a shout-out to other GC owners to wish me luck out there!

No doubt about it, that's a lot of GPS for the price. I'm one of those who owns a higher end gps, but I always thought the GC would be an ideal starter unit. Hope you enjoy your new toy!

please get back to us after some use and see if you are singing the same tune.

i have good things to say about it but i also have many negative things to say about it.

we are on GC #3 right now. in the middle of them i bought myself a 62s.

definitely would be nice to cross good and bad things with them.

look around here for other GC threads and i probably have commented on them.

no doubt it has good points to it.

no doubt it has alot of negative said about it.

if it works for you that is great.

Monty

please get back to us after some use and see if you are singing the same tune.

i have good things to say about it but i also have many negative things to say about it.

we are on GC #3 right now. in the middle of them i bought myself a 62s.

definitely would be nice to cross good and bad things with them.

look around here for other GC threads and i probably have commented on them.

no doubt it has good points to it.

no doubt it has alot of negative said about it.

if it works for you that is great.

Monty

Monty, I did come across many of your posts and the references to your failed units.

I hope that isn't the case with me/mine, but will certainly be playing "watch dog" on this product as we begin to explore with it.

Providing my GC unit doesn't have a catastrophic hardware failure, my goal was to find the most Geo-caching friendly GPS unit without spending as much as a set of new tires for my car.

i do think the GC is a verry friendly caching unit. even with all the bad luck we have had there are some things about it i just canot help but like. alot of info on some of the screens which helps if you have filled it up and want to go through the closest ones fast by ruling out some types of caches or whatever. i like that alot. i also like you dont have to go to a cache to read about it. with my 62s i have to go to the cache then i can read about it. extra steps. i also dont get as much info about multiple caches on one screen. i get distance bearing and name. that is all.

i think for cachers they have a good thing going (magellan does) now if they can just fix the issues and tweak it a bit. with them adding the cameras to the new ones i hope that isnt a bad thing where they focused on gadgets and were lacking on other parts of it

good luck with your GC

Monty

I felt and did the same. I don't think I need all the bells and whistles yet. The GC seems to provide everything I need without the hassle.

The Target deal got to me and I too picked one up. My Iphone 3GS has worked OK but I want something with longer battery and is more durable.

Hopefully we'll have good luck with these.

i do think the GC is a verry friendly caching unit. even with all the bad luck we have had there are some things about it i just canot help but like. alot of info on some of the screens which helps if you have filled it up and want to go through the closest ones fast by ruling out some types of caches or whatever. i like that alot. i also like you dont have to go to a cache to read about it. with my 62s i have to go to the cache then i can read about it. extra steps. i also dont get as much info about multiple caches on one screen. i get distance bearing and name. that is all.

i think for cachers they have a good thing going (magellan does) now if they can just fix the issues and tweak it a bit. with them adding the cameras to the new ones i hope that isnt a bad thing where they focused on gadgets and were lacking on other parts of it

good luck with your GC

Monty

Conceptually, I really liked the idea of a "dedicated geocahching" unit. Afterall, that is what it was purchased for, and what it will be used for. (Well we might use the "odometer" for our bike rides too.)

Sure this is Magellan's first attempt at this idea and the pricing made it very approachable as an entry level unit. I'm quite certain that their next "GCx2" will be better, faster and more expensive but out of the gate I liked this idea.

I really have no immediate need for a full blown "air-drop me in the middle of Africa" GPS unit. Heck I live in San Diego, not Montana. I can barely scroll around the geo-map in my neighborhood without exceeding the 500 caches limit. Lots to find before we have to start hitting the trails into no-mans land, where a fuller functioning device might be beneficial.

the replies above this are ones i am sure magellan was hoping to hear.

the price point, even at 200 (what i paid for our first one) is good. it is alot for the money. yes you are not gonna be air dropped in africa and be good to go with finding your way out, but some might try it.

i think if it was more stable and less glitchy it would sell rather well even at 200. though the price drops make it more attractive. get one for 150-200 that can hold alot of things and easy to use. or spent 80-150 for a pretty basic unit.

not perfect, but will work for alot of consumers that just want to cache.

Monty