Halloween Candy Cache

Racettes

Random thought popped into my head today while I was at works

Has there been any "candy caches" for halloween??

Just a simple easy to find cache that has bags of candy

Thought was to place a container on my doorstep and put a big plastic pumpkin over it - easily hid then and would be known to cachers

I know there are more details that I would have to work out - but I thought I would get the forums peoples thoughts and opinions on it

Bear in mind - just a random thought

Not saying I would actually do this

Not sure if its even possible to have a one day cache listed

Thoughts-opinions???

Thanks

Racettes

Not on Geocaching.com

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#perm

Cache Permanence

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move ("traveling caches"), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be published.

Thought was to place a container on my doorstep and put a big plastic pumpkin over it - easily hid then and would be known to cachers

I know there are more details that I would have to work out - but I thought I would get the forums peoples thoughts and opinions on it

Thoughts-opinions???

Thanks

Racettes

coming to this thread soon....

the naysayers.

temp cache are frowned upon.

food in cache is frowned upon.

fun in caches is frowned upon.

the naysayers.

I'm not quite sure how you make the jump from "the guidelines state" to "no fun in caches" quite so quickly? Seems like you are being the naysayer instead of providing a helpful answer to the OP.

I like the idea of building an event around it.

That was a good suggestion.

the naysayers.

I'm not quite sure how you make the jump from "the guidelines state" to "no fun in caches" quite so quickly? Seems like you are being the naysayer instead of providing a helpful answer to the OP.

He was very sarcastic when he said "no fun in caches."

Thoughts-opinions???

Thanks

Racettes

the naysayers.

Silly guidelines. Always trying to keep people from doing stupid things. Silly. :)

the naysayers.

Still, to call folks who point out the guidelines problems involved naysayers was uncalled for.

I do like the event idea.

One way to do it to hand little geocachers the cords to all your friendly neighbors in your neighborhood that would give free candy. When they get back, you can have a party. And pick up door prize tix at each cords It would be alot of planning but it would be fun for the kids.

Edited by SwineFlew

Another idea, is if you live in place where you'd be comfortable having a residential cache, put one in your yard - write the cache page with typical reassurance about "owner is cache friendly, if you see someone home, wave ..."

And if you ask the reviewer to publish your cache Oct 30 or 31st, then you can have as many bags of candy in it as you want for Halloween, then just take the candy out and leave regular swag for the rest of the cache's life. You can always put a "Happy Halloween" message in the cache page for just one day and edit the cache page the next day, too.

The event idea sounds great. Have the event at a local park and hide candy filled caches all over the park. When people show up, hand them the cords to one of the caches. Kids would love it!!

I'm not fully on board with hiding caches with food in a public park where anyone can tamper with the candy (including a problem we had for a park treasure hunt-dogs peeing on the hidden treasures!) GROSS! ;)

I like the idea of having an event - that way you can hand candy out. Call me over protective but as a mum to a young daughter I certainly would not allow her to eat anything that she took out of a cache, whereas I would be more inclined to allow her to eat something that had been personally given to her by someone I had met. My daughter is not allowed to go trick or treating to people we do not know. We always have a party with lots of fun, candy and dancing so that she doesn't misss out.

Now you have given me an idea to open up our party to caching and publish an event cache mmmmmmmmmmmm (little cogs in head on overtime now).

Wow - I was actually expecting more flames for such an idea than what I got -

everybody is entitled to their own opinion though on the forums, so the ones who said "creepy" and "bad idea" - Im not offended

Like I said, this was a random thought that crossed my mind during work yesterday

I was looking at candy last night while doing some grocery shopping - and right now, I cant really fund such an event, plus with my 16 month old and my other half working nights, time wise, I really couldnt pull it off and I might not even be around my home town that night (Im having a hard enough time trying to find time to just hide a cache)

Best I could come up would be to just post coordinates to my place (still can get a little spendy for candy)

And have a tote inside my apartment building with bags of candy - maybe even a glo stick per bag

This probably wont end up happening - just thought it would be something fun/different to do

Glad it did spark others to give it a thought though - just think, when the kiddies signed the log they would put

TFTCC (Thanks for the Candy Cache)

Have fun with this one peoples

Racettes

everybody is entitled to their own opinion though on the forums, so the ones who said "creepy" and "bad idea" - Im not offended

Like I said, this was a random thought that crossed my mind during work yesterday

I was looking at candy last night while doing some grocery shopping - and right now, I cant really fund such an event, plus with my 16 month old and my other half working nights, time wise, I really couldnt pull it off and I might not even be around my home town that night (Im having a hard enough time trying to find time to just hide a cache)

Best I could come up would be to just post coordinates to my place (still can get a little spendy for candy)

And have a tote inside my apartment building with bags of candy - maybe even a glo stick per bag

This probably wont end up happening - just thought it would be something fun/different to do

Glad it did spark others to give it a thought though - just think, when the kiddies signed the log they would put

TFTCC (Thanks for the Candy Cache)

Have fun with this one peoples

Racettes

It could still work as an event cache. Just make it clear that participants are not expected to stick around. It isn't all that different from all the flash mob or micro events that have been posted. Have it the day after trick-or-treating and it is just for geocachers so that aspect of the guidelines won't be violated. Or do it at some totally odd time of year. Say March? Hmmn. I wonder how many people we could get in on this. It could be a world wide series of events. Geo-ween, or hollo-cache.

Here is my take on the cache event (And I am thinking of doing).

Publish the cache event at your home coordinates

ask "attendees" to identify themselves when they are at the door.

give young attendees extra candy (more than muggle trick-or-treat ers)

Let attendees sign the log book.

Let attendees come in for a few minuts for a hot chocolate and quick chat (don't want them there all night).

Give attendees coordinates for an as of yet unpublished cache near by. Maybe make that cache have a halloween theam

I like the idea of having an event - that way you can hand candy out. Call me over protective but as a mum to a young daughter I certainly would not allow her to eat anything that she took out of a cache, whereas I would be more inclined to allow her to eat something that had been personally given to her by someone I had met. My daughter is not allowed to go trick or treating to people we do not know. We always have a party with lots of fun, candy and dancing so that she doesn't misss out.

Now you have given me an idea to open up our party to caching and publish an event cache mmmmmmmmmmmm (little cogs in head on overtime now).

For what its worth, the tampered Halloween candy stories are now believed to be myth.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/poison/halloween.asp (snopes is only one of many sites that discredit those stories, although as one researcher pointed out, you can't disprove a negative (you can't prove that it has never happened).

the naysayers.

Still, to call folks who point out the guidelines problems involved naysayers was uncalled for.

I do like the event idea.

I think he's just having a bad week. Yesterday it was "there's only two scenic places in aLL of Central Texas, and they both already have caches". ;)

+1 for the event!!

Edited by Mr.Yuck

This had creepy written all over it (sorry).

I am hoping that geo-parents don't hand their geo-kids the GPS and send them on their way. I would think the geo-parents will accompany their geo-kids right up to the 'event cache' or the front door of the coords given.

If this is the way it goes, nothing creepy about it.

I am hoping that geo-parents don't hand their geo-kids the GPS and send them on their way. I would think the geo-parents will accompany their geo-kids right up to the 'event cache' or the front door of the coords given.

I think the idea would be fore all cachers to participate, not just the kids.

Extra candy for the kids; coffee for the grownups.

I am glad too that you didn't get flamed. I know that you were trying to put out a fun idea. I think that the folks who mentioned the 'creepy' stuff were talking about the idea that someone put out about doing this in a park rather than at your house and not your idea, but I could be wrong.

Personally, I agree that taking this event out into a public park turns your fun innocent idea into something potentially dangerous and creepy that I would never take children to.

Maybe it's something to think about for next year then! Or Easter...

We had a Halloween event a few years ago. Many people put out Halloween-themed caches that are still active. I wouldn't put candy into a geocache for obvious reasons, but you could put non-food Halloween goodies into a cache and encourage people to find it on or close to Halloween.

There's a couple of geocachers here who put out a Christmas tree cache every year. It's always a traditional cache, but at a specific date and time the owners go there with gifts, and many geocachers meet them at the cache to exchange gifts and share Christmas baking. It's become an annual event, but it's not listed as an event. The cache itself stays there year-round. You could do something like this, if you got the word out to other cachers.

Or you could just hold an event in your front yard!

Well I am working on doing up an event page for this. Here is what I have so far.

Stop by with (or without) the kids for a halloween treat!

Stop by on Halloween any time from 1800h till 2030h.

This is a great community to take the kids Trick-or-Treating. We are house number 56. When you stop by, mention "The Event". We will have an extra treat for the kids, and hot drinks for everyone (hot chocolate, coffee, and tea). Sign the logbook, and stay for a quick chat. If it is a cold night, this is a perfect chance to warm up!

I will have print outs of a special cache for the event.

Does this violate this guidline

While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town’s fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers.

Would all the other kids be considered the "primary attendees" even if they are not invited in for 'the extras'?

Edited by Andronicus

Kids geocache?

paranoid much? :):laughing::laughing:

dude, seriously, what is your problem? We're allowed to have our own opinions. Just because someone wants to be safe in regards to children doesn't make them paranoid.

You seem to read into my posts a lot, usually incorrectly; lay off.

"Dude" I was looking through all my posts, I can't seem to find one time that I have ever responded to you? Sure you don't have me confused with someone else?

I was not commenting to you specifically. I was responding to the idea that having an event in the park would be creepy. I thought that's what parks were for. Yeah, I wouldn't let my young children run wild in a huge 50 acre park unsupervised, but a nice local park where they wouldn't be out of sight, how's that creepy? Set some caches around the park just before the event starts, you have a group of adults there to supervise. I seriously doubt someone is going to swoop in and stick razor blades in your apples that quick without you seeing. If you let your young kids run around out of sight unsupervised, that's bad parenting, not creepy.

Well I am working on doing up an event page for this. Here is what I have so far.

This is a great community to take the kids Trick-or-Treating. We are house number 56. When you stop by, mention "The Event". We will have an extra treat for the kids, and hot drinks for everyone (hot chocolate, coffee, and tea). Sign the logbook, and stay for a quick chat. If it is a cold night, this is a perfect chance to warm up!

While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town’s fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers.

Would all the other kids be considered the "primary attendees" even if they are not invited in for 'the extras'?

OK, so back on topic...

Anyone have an answer for me on this?

OK, so back on topic...

I was at a flash mob event in which the meeting place was a very popular tourist attraction in Niagara Falls. By no means were the geocachers the primary attendees, hundreds of tourist flock to this place every day.

With the number of kids some people get on Halloween, the geocaching community might be the primary attendees at your house.

If you do go through with this, please post the GC# here.

OK, so back on topic...

I was at a flash mob event in which the meeting place was a very popular tourist attraction in Niagara Falls. By no means were the geocachers the primary attendees, hundreds of tourist flock to this place every day.

With the number of kids some people get on Halloween, the geocaching community might be the primary attendees at your house.

It is all set, just have to get permission from upper managment.

It is all set, just have to get permission from upper managment.

By upper management do you mean spouse or GC.com :D

The Muggle-Wife

Anyway, event is submited, sponsor lined up, just need reviewer to publish it now.

Know that feeling - I gots a Muggle-Wife also

She calls me a nerd when I talk about Caching :) and Im OK with it

Kids geocache?

i know of 15... all between the ages of 11 and 14 that geocache. about 10 of them are paying members.

not that they would go across the city alone in search of an FTF (or any other cache), but the family goes out to the park for the day...and a GPS goes with them so their lone cacher clears the park. several others cache around their neighborhood in pairs (and sometimes more).

i've run into a problem with setting up "events" for cachers that age because it does end up being so specific... yet there are people in the area who have listed events as "adult only" and gotten away with it.

http://coord.info/GC2FJ01

http://coord.info/GC2FJ01

This event went well last night. I think I will do this again next year.