Caching with other Cachers?

mr.grumpy

I was wondering what the general consensu is about going out with other cachers. I am fully anoyed with my geocaching partner. He makes finding the cache a competition and insists on re-hiding the thing in such a way that it will be imposable for the next guy to find it. I guess he "wins" more that way. He "believs" in the numbers and is getting ready to celebrate a milestone even though at LEAST three of his "finds" are caches that he already FOUND but "over two years ago so it counts as a new find". WTF? Um.... I think he;s cheating. He likes to "win" while we are watching TV too.

I LOVE caching with others!!

I had to get used to doing it alone recently, and found that I do like having the opportunity to find every one of them, when I have to share that when I cache with someone else.

But I love the adventure caches, and the caches of discovery!!

These caches are so much better when shared with others.

New places...

Such as the multi where we found Wpt. 1 in the back of a mine shaft, great views, beautiful spots,

Those are best shared.

If you don't enjoy caching with the person you cache with, tell him why, and if he doesn't change, find another caching partner.

Try local events for more people to cache with.

As someone once said: The best thing about geocaching is that anyone can play. The worst thing about geocaching is that anyone can play.

I wouldn't worry about the other guy's numbers. But he should replace caches the way they were when he found them. From Finding your First Geocache: "4. Make sure to seal the cache and place it back exactly where and how you found it. If it had some rocks covering it, please replace those."

Just like with anything else, some people make better partners than others do.

Two people canoeing who don't learn to work as a team aren't going to get very far.

Two people who don't work or play well together aren't going to enjoy caching together.

To be a good caching partner to me, one needs to want to start early, stay late, eat periodically and enjoy rural caches and the adventure.

Figure out what you need in a caching partner and then look at what this person brings to the table.

It might be that this person is just the wrong caching partner for you!

But then someone who's handle is 'Mr. Grumpy' might be, well, grumpy..... ;)

The biggest problem I've had with caching with others is that they don't have as much stamina when it comes to hunting. They will give up quickly if they can't immediately find the cache, and tire of going to other sites. So I usually just go caching with my dog. She never complains and always sniffs out the hard to find caches! So my recommendation: get a dog ;)

Oh, I love to go with other people! My wife LOVES geocaching much, much more than I do and it's a pleasure to be with her or my daughter when they find a cache! I do often go alone or with the dog. He's kind of a knuckle-head though and chokes himself the whole time so that's not always fun to listen too for long periods of time. My Partner is a good friend and the guy who got us into Geocaching to begin with. I guess that we really are not good caching partners though sine I tent to see finding the cache as a reward at the end of a journey and he tends to see it as the reason for the journey. And i HATE having to kill myself finding a cache (that's not rated as difficult) once on site.

We have to alter our geocaching styles depending on who we are out with. When there is just the Bu's going out - we are happy to plan a 15-20 mile all day hike up Kinder Scout (the highest peak in the peak district). When we got out with our caching friends - who have a little boy aged 4, and a little girl aged 9, we chose shorter, flatter walks, and the walk is more about the caching rather than the walk. I love both syles of caching, but most of all i love the company.

I've joined our local Geocaching association for almost totally selfish reasons*: I would like to tag along with some more experienced cachers to pick up some techniques. Haven't had the cojones to ask anyone yet, but maybe after a few get-togethers...

My wife and I do OK on our own, but watching how a more experienced player goes about finding things would be a huge help.

*And of course to support their advocacy to the Parks and Law Enforcement. ;)

I've joined our local Geocaching association for almost totally selfish reasons*: I would like to tag along with some more experienced cachers to pick up some techniques. Haven't had the cojones to ask anyone yet, but maybe after a few get-togethers...

My wife and I do OK on our own, but watching how a more experienced player goes about finding things would be a huge help.

*And of course to support their advocacy to the Parks and Law Enforcement. ;)

I agree with you. It would have been helpful to have had some pointers early on (although you'd be amazed at what you can learn in the forums).

But overall. I've enjoyed learning on our own (okay so maybe learning some of the biking trails first would have helped.... but oh well).

You'll find some one to go caching with, don't worry.

*And of course to support their advocacy to the Parks and Law Enforcement. :)

Your education may depend on what "rules" the others use. In our case, the Monday Musketeers use the "rule" that each person has to find the cache. Once you find it you move off and let the rest of the team make the find. The nice part is that over time your senses sharpen so you aren't the last one to make the find, and part of that is due to "hot/cold" hints from those who have found it.

So, don't expect to sit back and observe. You have to actively search yourselves, and who knows you may find it before the others do, and you will be more likely to be allowed to go with others. You have to grab the bull and ask if you can go along sometime, don't wait to be asked.

The fun level you experience while caching with others will obviously depend on who those others are, and what their idea of fun is in geocaching.

It sounds like you need to find a new caching partner.

I generally don't enjoy spending time with anyone who makes everything in life a competetion, especially when they feel they must "win" at everything, including watching TV. (How can you "win" or "lose" at watching TV?? I feel like most of the time I spend in front of the tube is a "loss". :) )

I have cached with lots of folks in our area and generally enjoy being with almost everyone I have met so far. Luckily I haven't run into someone who behaves as you have described your friend.

My belief is that caching is supposed to be fun. If you are caching with someone who lowers your fun level you should evaluate whether you are having enough fun with them or not to continue.

Don't let it put you off of caching with others. Just find some others that have the same idea of fun as you have. Not only can it be a lot of fun watching someone else try to find a cache, it can be educational as well. It can help as a hider of caches to watch how other people search for one.

I have never been caching on my own, I always have someone with me. It's the only way to go caching, for me.

I don't usually get involved in the search for the cache either as that bit is boring and when you have someone else with you they can do all the hunting and reaching into prickly bushes. That's usually the bit where I get to take a break from the walking and have a sit or lie down in the sunshine. Maybe a drink.

I have thought about going out on my own but I prefer to have someone with me to do the driving. I never drive as it's much nicer to have a kip on the way so I'm fresh and ready for the walk.

The other advantage is someone else gets to carry the backpack. So drinks, biscuits and everything else we need is all there but I don't have to carry it. That's a real bonus.

Then there is always someone to drive home again at the end of the day, and an opportunity for another kip after a long hike :)

So I think it's always best to go caching with someone - it makes the day much more enjoyable and a lot easier!

Zeus

Lovejoy's Dog