Muggles in uniform

MaxiP

Was driving past a friends 'cache & dash' at the weekend (http://coord.info/GC2D7XY) and spotted a group of uniformed muggles having a look at the cache. More information in the cache log but it turns out that someone replacing the cache had been seen acting suspiciously and had been reported to the police. The boys (and girl) in blue rocked up to search for a stack of drugs - imagine their faces when all they found was a log book, 5 marbles, a pen and a McD's toy :)

Anyone else come across this kind of group muggling by our friendly police ?

Was driving past a friends 'cache & dash' at the weekend (http://coord.info/GC2D7XY) and spotted a group of uniformed muggles having a look at the cache. More information in the cache log but it turns out that someone replacing the cache had been seen acting suspiciously and had been reported to the police. The boys (and girl) in blue rocked up to search for a stack of drugs - imagine their faces when all they found was a log book, 5 marbles, a pen and a McD's toy :)

That's a great story! I wish that was how all encounters between police and geocaches turned out. Here in the states, it would likely have been blown up.

We were in the Sacramento are for GeoWoodstock and looking for a really hard cache. It was 2 in the morning, and a cop showed up, so I ran over to talk to him. He ended up being really cool and shined his spot light over to our area and came over to help us look.

The area where it was near was some high security area because 2 armed guards with machine guns (I'm not kidding) walked across the field (from a few hundred feet away) and helped us look too. It was sort of surreal and not what we expected to have happen.

Throughout the night we had other officers drive past and toot at us, and some would stop and ask us how many we'd found so far.

Was driving past a friends 'cache & dash' at the weekend (http://coord.info/GC2D7XY) and spotted a group of uniformed muggles having a look at the cache. More information in the cache log but it turns out that someone replacing the cache had been seen acting suspiciously and had been reported to the police. The boys (and girl) in blue rocked up to search for a stack of drugs - imagine their faces when all they found was a log book, 5 marbles, a pen and a McD's toy ;)

Don't you mean broken mc toy?

Here in the states, it would likely have been blown up.

This makes me curious as to the actual statistics. I know there's no way of determining any real numbers, but it does cause my mind to wonder. (or is that "wander?) Having been in law enforcement of one flavor or another since '82, and having had to respond to suspicious objects on an almost daily basis, I can say with some degree of certainty that, had I found a cache prior to knowing about this game, it would likely not have been blown up. Of the thousands of suspicious objects I've responded to, I've only bumped one up the chain of command, requesting EOD.

I was placing my first ever caches and was soooo excited to do so. I placed two caches at a very new, very upscale outdoor mall 2.5 miles from my home. It just so happened that the very evening the caches were published, a shopper at the mall tried to use a stolen credit card for purchases. Since this 'crime' was really unusal for my area, it made the local news big time.

Well, since the mall security, local PD, and Sheriff Department was reviewing all the security camera footage that day, they noticed little ole me (I am a schmoo, 5'3" and 100 lbs soaking wet - so opposite the person using the stolen card) going to a certain trees in a wooded area around the mall parking lot that morning, checking some sort of 'electronic device,' and looking suspicious. After zeroing in on my license plate, I received a visit from the PD and Sheriff. I explained what I was doing (the cache was placed on public land, not private mall land), took them to the caches, and was cleared of all suspicion.

The mall actually liked that the caches were placed there, since it would draw people from all around the area who might not normally visit the mall. The security team actually signed the logs! In the end, the two caches (recently archived) received a total of 215 visits in 11 months. My only regret is the visit from mall security that the FTFers recieved when looking for the new caches!