Iphone 4 Google maps better then Garmin GPS maps?

sonic_flower

I’m fairly new to geocaching and have been using my iphone 4 with the full version Geo Ap to do my seeking. I agree that it may drain my battery and not be 100% accurate, but I feel that the maps on the Iphone 4 GPS are so much better then on the Garmin GPS devices like the Oregon.

I would really like some help as I would like to make the jump to a GPS device but cant help thinking I will be disappointed with the maps.

Just adding so far all of my caching as been done in towns or cities

Edited by sonic_flower

Yes: After using the iPhone 4, you will be disappointed in the maps you can get any dedicated handheld GPS you buy. On the other hand: After using a dedicated GPS, you will be disappointed with the accuracy and battery life of your iPhone. Each has its place, it's a matter of picking the right tool for the job.

Edited by lee_rimar

google has decent maps. their strength lies especially in the aerial maps, which on a handheld you either don't have at all, or have in a (potentially) lower quality for extra $$$.

streets maps and topo maps on a handheld can and will be much superior than what google offers though. it all depends on the source, the area you're in and the money you're willing to spend. for many areas it's possible to get highly detailed street and topo maps for free, for other areas your only option is to buy them from a commercial source. in any case, those will offer much higher details than google.

and last but not least, the handheld will always have them available, and not only when you're within cell coverage.

Edited by dfx

DFX, the OP mentions having an iPhone 4, which has:

• Google and Bing aerial imagery are available in the GC.com app.

• USGS 1:24K topo quads (and Canadian 1:50K NRC sheets) available in Phil Endecott's Topo Maps apps. These equal or exceed the quality of any "free" open source maps you're likely to find online.
  • Both of the apps mentioned above can store imagery and maps on the phone, so they are available even when you're outside of cellular coverage. The GC.com app is $10, the Topo map app is $8. Not free, but very good value.

Although not mentioned by the OP (or you), there are also numerous turn-by-turn road-map apps that also store driving maps on the phone, at various price points. Many of them are based on Navteq data (same as Garmin) and come in at far lower price points than Garmin's commercial offerings and offer better quality than the free maps available from GPSFileDepot, OpenStreetMaps, and other repositories.

I believe Garmin will lose on any map quality comparison against an iPhone 4. If you like, give me a screen shot of any map available to you from any source on a Garmin and let me know the coords. I'll post the same area as it looks on the iPhone 4 and we can compare them.

As I said, each device has its place. Stick with battery life, accuracy, and ruggedness/waterproofing as selling points for dedicated GPS units, because they lost the map one.

---

edit: struck-out comments about USGS and Canadian NRC as irrelevant to OP in England.

Edited by lee_rimar

I have the iPhone 4, and the Garmin 60CSx, and I find if a cache is near an identifiable objects in the aerial photos, that I have more luck just walking toward where the Dot is on the aerial photo, without any GPS aid. I have done this for years, trying to match the aerial photo to where I am walking, except areas, where caches are deep in woods, then a handheld GPS is better. I had a cache find this summer, where the 60CSx, and my sister's GPS were leading us to the wrong place, but I used the map on the iPhone 3G, with the Geocaching App, and the location of the DOT on the aerial photo sent us right to the right spot.

Edited by GOT GPS?
Read for context; he mentions the GC.com app -- that one app alone can load Google, Bing, and OpenStreetMaps. And if you think the GC app is the ONLY map app on the iPhone or worth discussing -- well, that's like limiting a Garmin user to only Garmin's maps.

the OP asked how google maps compares to the maps on handhelds, specifically garmin oregons. i answered that. the OP didn't ask what other maps were available on an iphone, so i didn't answer that (and i couldn't). in fact i didn't mention other maps at all. so what's your point?

Each has their place, it's a matter of picking the right tool for the job.

Exactly, that photo imagery on the iPhone of "Suds says...", which is 1/2 mile will knock your socks off.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=4475198

Nevertheless, for those caches in the back country, miles from cellphone towers, handheld GPSrs are still needed.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa
What's your point?
The OP's expressed concern wwas that he might be disappointed in Garmin's maps as compared to what he has on his iPhone. The short, on-topic answer is "yes, you will be disappointed with Garmin's maps." The rest is to explain why -- but that there are other valid reasons to have/use a dedicated GPS. Edited by lee_rimar

Garmin has to work VERY hard, I use a Droid based phone also and must say, it works at least as good as an Oregon, but the possibilities are so much more and better.

With tons of free maps, road and topo, it will be very difficult for Garmin to beat this.

Even the battery life of a Samsung Galaxy S, does not seem to be a problem.

The OP's expressed concern wwas that he might be disappointed in Garmin's maps as compared to what he has on his iPhone. The short, on-topic answer is "yes, you will be disappointed with Garmin's maps."

that's a bit of a generic statement, it depends on what kind of maps the OP was using. if they were using mainly google aerial imagery, then probably yes. if they were using mainly google street or topo maps, then most likely no, assuming good maps have been installed on the garmin.

and even if they were using aerial imagery: personally i find a good topo map (with trails and elevation) to be much more useful than even the best aerial images. but if you're doing mostly urban caching, that probably won't be the case. so YMMV.

i'm sure there's other good maps available for iphone, but that wasn't really the question.

If my statement "was a bit generic" that's because it's generically correct and also specifically correct for the OP. Maps on the iPhone 4 in the GC app they already have (as well as many others they can get access to) are better than anything you're going to find for the Garmin.

Of course, you have no reason to just take me at my word. Repeating a suggestion I made earlier -- give me a screen shot of any map available to you from any source on you Garmin and let me know the map's source and coords. I'll post the same area as it looks on the iPhone 4 -- either in the GC app or a source comparable to what you've posted. Or if you like, I could go first. Give me a few GC codes you're familiar with, where you used a "a good topo map (with trails and elevation)" and I can show you what they'll look like on the iPhone.

Here's your chance to prove what you've been saying about Garmin maps. Interested?

Edited by lee_rimar

I just noticed the OP is in England.

Not sure if that would skew map comparisons in favor of the iPhone or the Garmin. The same bloke who does the US/Canadian topo map app I like also has a UK map program -- but I haven't had need yet to download it myself: http://appshopper.com/navigation/uk-map-2

★ Detailed street-level mapping of England, Scotland and Wales using Ordnance Survey® data.

★ 1:250,000 road maps built in to the app.

★ Detailed 1:25,000 and 1:10,000 maps downloaded and stored for off-line use. ★ Contour lines and hill shading.

★ Footpaths from OpenStreetMap.org.

★ Off-line street name and postcode search.

★ Works on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

Since April 2010, Britain's national mapping agency Ordnance Survey has released a large amount of free map data. UK Map makes much of that data available in a single app. It includes 1:1M MiniScale® and 1:250k road maps, which are built into the app, and 1:25k district maps and 1:10k street maps for the entire country which you can download free of charge in 5km by 5km tiles.

I'm guessing that would meet/exceed quality of any of Garmin's commercial offerings, as well as what you'll find on GPSFileDepot. It's listed as $12 in the US App Store and I'll probably buy it before my next visit to my in-laws.

Edited by lee_rimar

OK, I will take you up on your challenge. While I have birdseye loaded on my GPS, I have to say I have NEVER used it in the field. I like looking it at home but it has never helped me find my way or find a cache. So let's see a comparision to my free maps with CN 2011.

The first is a major hiking trail. I thought about throwing you a curve and showing the part of the trail that was recently relocated. But this is where the trail has been for decades. The cords are: 38 01.418 91 12.182 EDIT: The green shows landownership. Can you show this ownership and identify it?

1284998178.jpg

The second one is the junction of two major float streams where the Huzzah changed couse several years ago. Let's see if your topo can show the new connection. The cords are 38 01.879 91 13.583

1284998625.jpg

The last is in the Mark Twain National Forest. The green is National Forest to see how well you can show landownership. The screen shot also shows Forest Service roads. So I am interested to see how well you can show Forest Service roads. The cords are 37 37.353 91 14.664

1284998794.jpg

I look forward to see what you can come up with!

Edited by myotis

My cache placements must meet at least one of three criteria. You must be able to do, see or learn something where I place a cache. I love history and try to expose it with a cache. One of the main tools I use is old aerial photos on my GPSr. Here’s a screen shot of a 1939 aerial on my Garmin GPS that I used to find an abandoned railroad short cut that was used for empty trains while loaded trains had to use a 1.2 mile long horseshoe shaped switchback. The Loop Cut-off as it was called is completely overgrown now and not visible on any current aerials but was easily found with the 1939 aerial. Just wondering if the iPhone 4 can do that?

7ca50a41-bda9-48a6-9a13-223994a57d95.jpg

Cacheholic, I'd give you a tentative "yes" on the iPhone doing that, as long as you have the imagery. There are iPhone apps to georeference them for use with the GPS.

The 1939 image you posted -- what was the source? Did you georeference it in Google Earth and then load it with BaseCamp? If you want to send me some imagery or let me know where to lay hands on it, I'd be interested in trying that. Or did it get on your GPS via some other route?

This is a valid comparison to see what we can do with the iPhone -- but we might be getting to a bit of a fuzzy dividing line here, a little further from what the OP asking. Someone interested in prepackaged maps/images may not be as interested in looking at what you can make yourself.

Myotis -- I meant to say this earlier:

Those maps are beautiful. Did you make them yourself? Are they available on GPSFileDepot or other repository? How wide an area do you have with that quality/level of detail?

Sounds like you are backing off your earlier statements :D

And thanks-yes I did make them all (except City Navigator which they all show on top of).

Here they are:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/byuser/193/

Differnet areas I have differnet levels of detail for. I am always adding to them. But I wish more users would contribute GPSed trails to them :)

Yea the USGS 24 are OK if you don't have anything else, but they are raster and old and out of date. Trail data many times is significnatly off. For topo/hydrology data anything on gpsfiledepot is better than USGS. There are more and more sources of trails (particularly from Federal land). You can also add anything you GPS. One of the reasons I really like my 550T is I can take a picture of something I want to add to my maps. Some stuff I trace in GoogleEarth. The last two screen shots I GPSed the trails so I know my GPSing is the only source for the trails. That is why I used them :D I remember a while back Delorome users were also arguing Delorome maps are the best there is. While not always, but a large percentage of the time, garmin maps are the best there are.

Can the iphone show a gpx or shapefile? If you click on any point in teh world, will it show you elevation and local time?

The 1939 image you posted -- what was the source? Did you georeference it in Google Earth and then load it with BaseCamp? If you want to send me some imagery or let me know where to lay hands on it, I'd be interested in trying that. Or did it get on your GPS via some other route?

http://www.pennpilot.psu.edu/ is my source and yes I geo-referensed it on Google Earth then saved it as a .KMZ file that Garmin uses for Custom Maps.

Nope, I'm not backing off of my original statement overall - what I said was generally true on a wide scale.

But if you've got better maps on your Garmin for that area, then you (and anyone in your area using your maps, or with your tools and skill set to build their own maps) will NOT be disappointed in the maps on a Garmin. And as I said earlier, I tip my hat to you because those are really nice looking maps.

There would still be an open question though about availability -- how much of the world have you got covered in that level of detail? Anything for me here in Portland Oregon, or for the OP in the UK?

I'll still give it go later and see how what I have compares in readability and usefulness with yours.

Can the iphone show a gpx or shapefile?
Don't know about shapefiles, haven't had a need for these yet. Does your Garmin show shapefiles, or do you process these through your map making tools? That's really two different questions, I guess.

Both "MotionX GPS" and the "Topo Maps" app I use can load GPX files, though only MotionX can load tracks and waypoints that way. for now the Topo app just loads/saves waypoints in GPX.

If you click on any point in the world, will it show you elevation and local time?
Y'know, I have seen apps for doing that, but I haven't downloaded any -- I can find the links for them if you like. But at the risk of sounding like dfx, isn't that one getting a bit further off topic of map availability for Garmin compared to iPhone? Because if we're gonna go too far afield from the original mapping comparisons and just start asking each other "Can your gizmo do THIS?" -- the app store has tens of thousands of titles in the navigation and travel sections. Some of them are even worth the 99 cents :) Edited by lee_rimar

Nope, I'm not backing off of my original statement overall - what I said was generally true on a wide scale.

But if you've got better maps on your Garmin for that area, then you (and anyone in your area using your maps, or with your tools and skill set to build their own maps) will NOT be disappointed in the maps on a Garmin. And as I said earlier, I tip my hat to you because those are really nice looking maps.

There would still be an open question though about availability -- how much of the world have you got covered in that level of detail? Anything for me here in Portland Oregon, or for the OP in the UK?

I'll still give it go later and see how what I have compares in readability and usefulness with yours.

Looking forward to seeing some of your comparisions. Vector is better than the USGS Raster almost always and I belive you can get vector for almost all of the US and Canada on GPSfileDepot. I have state trail maps for 16 states. I just added PA a couple of days ago (and also added it to my Eastern land Ownership) Out your way there is Northwest Trails which has outstanding coverage.

Is there an Iphone app that will show Garmin Maps?

...I geo-referensed it on Google Earth then saved it as a .KMZ file that Garmin uses for Custom Maps.
Thanks. I think this will be an excuse for me to buy a $6 program I've been meaning to try...

http://appshopper.com/utilities/mapmaker

I could repeat your effort and try to stretch and tweak in Google Earth until it fits ... but it would be easier if you could send me the KML file (just the text portion), I could get the details from that. Email it to me, maybe?

Edited by lee_rimar
Looking forward to seeing some of your comparisions. ...
I might have to concede the point to you, at least for the ones you've given me. If someone is looking specifically for topo maps, and can find this quality map for their location -- they sure wouldn't be disappointed in THOSE maps on their Garmin.

But (and I don't mean this as empty flattery): You do good work. The ones I've pulled down from GPSFileDepot for my own area are not nearly as good as the ones you've shown me.

I haven't had as much time as I would have liked to work on this tonight, but I do promise to get at least some comparison shots up in the next day or two -- especially the one near Bat Cave, in honor of your handle ;) I do already have the topo quads on my phone.

Not that I have found -- but I hadn't thought to look for one yet. There's a huge selection of map-making tools and apps that I haven't dabbled with yet. Any bets on how long it will be before someone taps THAT opportunity, and comparable iPhone/iPad maps start showing up on GPSFileDepot and elsewhere? There are a helluva lot of map layers in the ArcGIS tool on the iPhone that I haven't even scratched the surface of yet... http://appshopper.com/productivity/arcgis

After your inquiry earlier, I did come across a few tools for working with shapefiles and other GIS data on the iPhone -- but haven't downloaded any yet. If you have a recommendation (or inquiry) about something think I should try, let me know...

Edited by lee_rimar
we're already far off from what the OP asked, who asked about google maps, or at least the maps you can get from within the geocaching app. everything else is a bit of a non-argument.
Oh my god! DFX IS RIGHT! We should stop comparing map images and discussing tools that might not be of interest to DFX or sonic_flower, the OP. Aanything beyond maps in the GC iPhone app and what's available for Garmin is a "non-argument." And since the OP is in southeast England we should probably stick to just what's available there.

Nah, just kidding. But I'll grant there's a tiny grain of validity in DFX's gripe.

The original question did seem more concerned about maps that are easy to find, already packaged, for Garmin. Cacheholic geo-referencing his own historical imagery? Myotis and his superior topo maps of select North America locations? Great products, but not widespread coverage. The ability to make those kinds of maps is certainly an advantage for Garmin users -- but the the fact that these guys ARE rolling their own is pretty good sign that what's "easy to find, already packaged" didn't satisfy...

So to (re)answer the OP's question, within DFX's tight constraints for staying op-topic: Yes, unless someone like Myotis or Cacheholic is making custom maps for the area you're interested in, or you're willing/able to do it yourself, you're gonna be disappointed in maps on the Garmin ;)

Edited by lee_rimar

I don’t have the slightest idea how to make custom maps from scratch. It seems very time consuming and my wife constantly reminds me that I spend too much time on the computer already. I’m using the Garmin “in a box Hamburger Helper” Custom Maps feature. Garmin’s Custom Maps feature allows you to take any photo or scan and put it on your handheld in minutes. I’ve taken pictures of old maps hanging on the wall of a museum and put them on my GPSr. You know those nice little State Park information papers with maps? If I have cell air card coverage, I can take a picture, pop the camera memory into my netbook, geo-reference the picture in Google Earth, connect my GPSr and save the geo-referenced picture in the CustomMaps file as a KMZ file. I can have custom maps of the park before my wife is out of the bathroom!

I think the ability to make custom maps quickly and easily might be a Garmin advantage for some folks and might even be slightly on topic? You know, that pie out of the box doesn’t taste as good as mom’s pie right out of the oven but how often do you get one of mom’s pies anymore? Same goes for some for these magnificent scratch custom maps. They may not always be available so you may have the option of using “out of the box” custom maps? Think of it as using a microwave oven to make custom maps.

mapping is exactly the strength of the garmin units. the ability to create them yourself and use multiple maps at the same time, and through community support you can get good maps for almost any part of the world free for download and ready to use. or in a pinch you can get a commercially packaged map from garmin.

for the UK, look here: http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

with the GC app, you're stuck with whatever they integrated into it, google, bing, OSM? which can be better if you like the aerial view, but otherwise not. sure there's other apps with different maps, but then you lose the geocaching capabilities, have to switch back and forth etc. plus, if good maps are available in other apps, then chances are the same maps or better maps are available for a garmin handheld as well.

...with the GC app, you're stuck with whatever they integrated into it...

DFX, if the case you're making for Garmin is that you're not limited to one source of maps -- why are you posturing as if the only maps available for the iPhone are the ones in the GC.com app? The problem I have with maps and GIS tools for the iPhone is not limited availability. More like the Librarian's Nightmare -- a seemingly endless catalog and trying to sift through it to find the thing I want!

Cacheholic just emailed me the correct coords and image file to match up his 1939 aerial image, and I'm gonna spring the $6 tonight to see how well MapMaker works.

Edited by lee_rimar
Now, that's an interesting one to point to. Unless I'm misreading the front page, it looks like it's purely based on OpenStreetMaps? The exact same are available on the iPhone in numerous competing apps -- and barely scratch the surface of what else is available for UK mapping on the iPhone.

http://www.google.com/search?q=uk+maps+site%3Aappshopper.com returns over 1600 hits.

Edited by lee_rimar
DFX, if the case you're making for Garmin is that you're not limited to one source of maps -- why are you posturing as if the only maps available for the iPhone are the ones in the GC.com app?

the only maps available for the GC app are the ones in the GC app. read the rest of my last post too please.

Now, that's an interesting one to point to. Unless I'm misreading the front page, it looks like it's purely based on OpenStreetMaps?

no it's not, scroll down to see the screenshots.

Edited by dfx
...sure there's other (iPhone) apps with different maps, but then you lose the geocaching capabilities, have to switch back and forth etc.
The GC.com app and most other GPS related apps on the iPhone 4 support multi-tasking. Switching between apps is little different than flipping between different screens on any other GPS.

...if good maps are available in other apps, then chances are the same maps or better maps are available for a garmin handheld as well.
Sounds like a distinction without a difference? Like the OpenStreetMap sourced material, it's eventually going to come down to "Any maps you have on your gizmo, I can have on mine."
The GC.com app and most other GPS related apps on the iPhone 4 support multi-tasking. Switching between apps is little different than flipping between different screens on any other GPS.

that's not the point. if i'm looking at the map screen, i want to have the active waypoint marked there, i want it to show me the distance remaining and any other pieces of information i find interesting, i want it to show the caches in the area there and any other waypoints i may have set, i want to be able to push on a cache on the map and it to show me cache name and other details, and all that on the same screen with any one map i want to use or multiple of them at the same time. is there an iphone app that can do all that?

Sounds like a distinction without a difference? Like the OpenStreetMap sourced material, it's eventually going to come down to "Any maps you have on your gizmo, I can have on mine."

pretty much yeah, only that the other way around it isn't necessarily true. unless there's an iphone app that can render garmin format maps?

i want to have the active waypoint marked there....show me the distance remaining and any other pieces of information i find interesting, ... the caches in the area there and any other waypoints ... to be able to push on a cache on the map and it to show me cache name and other details, and all that on the same screen with any one map i want to use or multiple of them at the same time. is there an iphone app that can do all that?
Well, you're describing the basic functionality of the GC app with its built-in maps. The other mapping apps I typically use (Topo, Motion X) also let you load waypoints as GPX files, so seeing & navigating to your waypoints in other maps not supported inside the GC app wouldn't be a problem. The iPhone 4 multitasks, so switching to a different app is little different than flipping between screens on your GPS.

Do you often view several different kind of maps and imagery and cache name and logs etc... all on the same screen without having to switch between them?

...(is there) an iphone app that can render garmin format maps?
Not that I know of - yet. It may exist and I haven't found it. On the other hand, I think there are actually MORE maps available for the iPhone right now than Garmin. GPSFileDepot's front page claims "368 custom maps available" -- while searching the iPhone app store finds THOUSANDS of custom maps and GPS apps. See earlier comment about the Librarian's Nightmare :)

But if your heart is set on using a specific Garmin map set (Myotis' examples come to mind), then I don't know how to do it -- yet.

Well, what do you know? I finally thought to google "loading garmin maps on iPhone" and find the first hit is a YouTube video showing an app that does it. Looks a bit shaky; requires jailbreaking the phone; and since I don't personally need this app I wouldn't go that route. But proof of concept is there.

But if the market is there and it can jump the hoops through the approval process, I wouldn't be surprised to see this or some kind of conversion program on the app store, eventually.

Edited by lee_rimar
Not that I have found -- but I hadn't thought to look for one yet. There's a huge selection of map-making tools and apps that I haven't dabbled with yet. Any bets on how long it will be before someone taps THAT opportunity, and comparable iPhone/iPad maps start showing up on GPSFileDepot and elsewhere? There are a helluva lot of map layers in the ArcGIS tool on the iPhone that I haven't even scratched the surface of yet... http://appshopper.com/productivity/arcgis

After your inquiry earlier, I did come across a few tools for working with shapefiles and other GIS data on the iPhone -- but haven't downloaded any yet. If you have a recommendation (or inquiry) about something think I should try, let me know...

Wow thanks for the ArcGIS linky. That'll come in handy.

The contour data is from The Scottish Mountaineering Club, more details about them can be found here: [http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.php]
Got it -- thanks. OpenStreetMaps plus contour data from SRTM. I had seen those before, somewhere. There are several iPhone apps implementing SRTM data. And for UK, at least one comparable hit:

http://appshopper.com/navigation/vectormap-gb

I don't know if that's the best or only implementation. Just the first one I found by searching on iPhone apps mentioning SRTM with UK location.

Edited by lee_rimar
Do you often view several different kind of maps and imagery and cache name and logs etc... all on the same screen without having to switch between them?

all the time (literally). on my geocaching profile i have the ibycus topo map (which includes all roads) enabled and the trails map from the ontario trails project layered on top of that. in areas where i have birdseye imagery loaded i also get those layered underneath the ibycus map, replacing the terrain colors (green = woods etc) of the map there. on top of that all i get the cache icons and waypoint icons for everything i have loaded there.

another common scenario is to have a topo-only map loaded and then layer a road map (OSM for example) on top of that. i don't need to do that since ibycus already includes the roads and i don't need routing capabilities in my geocaching profile. but i could do that if i wanted to. and then layer a custom trails map on top of that all again. or birdseye underneath. or whatever else. the possibilities are endless.

tapping on a cache icon on the map gives me a popup with the name of the cache and the distance to it. tapping on the name pulls up all details plus a button to set it as active waypoint, so i can start navigating to that cache right away. there's no need to switch between any screens at all. there's no need to import GPX files multiple times (or even only once really, because that happens automatically).

Edited by dfx

Myotis, I will post them -- but just as it took you time to put together your batch, it's gonna take me some time also (and you're probably quicker about it because you've been at it longer and had materials at hand). I could show you USGS images and fairly recent aerial images of the same area, along with the usual OpenStreetMaps and such -- but you've already scoffed at that. I conceded last night (post #32) that your custom maps for your stretch of Mo. are probably better than anything I'm gonna find for that area. But I'm still roaming through ArcGIS iPhone app and a few other sources to see what really looks good.

At the moment I am also looking at the best way to convert raster images for the iPhone akin to what Cacheholic posted. There's more than one program available for doing that and I'm looking at a few of them.

There is one OTHER problem, unrelated, that I'm grappling with -- how would you like the images posted when I have them? The iPhone 4 screen is 640*960 so the screen shots are huge. I can post them full size in a few places but they'll end up looking unrealistically large on your screen. If I scale them to 50% they won't look as nice. What do you think would be the best approach for sharing these?

Edited by lee_rimar