Best Gloves for Caching

Stompy

Winter is on the way and I'm determined to find a pair of gloves suitable for geocaching and wondered if anyone could recommend any. I have some sealskinz and whilst waterproof they don't keep my hands warm. I'm looking for a pair that are waterproof, warm and thin enough to operate the GPS, hold a pen etc. I've seen fishermen seem to go for Neoprene, does anyone know what they are like?

Sealskinz make mountain bike gloves which have had very good reviews in the bike mags however Ive never tried them,myself. Have a look at their competitors, Porelle, I believe they make good gloves too. Only time I wear gloves is for the nettle hidden caches, and even then it`s only a pair of mountain bike gloves, guess I must have warm hands.

Neoprene isn`t waterproof, as far as I know, I think it`s just an insulating layer, i.e. it lets in water but your body heat warms up said water and keeps you warm.

I may be wrong on the last bit, but, that`s the way I understand it.

Edited by jason johnson

I use two pairs. For warmth I have a pair of Thinsulate fingerless gloves that leave my fingers above the knuckles free for pressing buttons and keys. I do not suffer greatly from cold hands and find these work well for me.

For nettles, thorns, grovelling in unseen hollow trees and similar places I use leather faced gardening gloves which resist nettles, gorse, holly and hawthorn spikes.

Neither of these is waterproof, though the gardening gloves are adequate for rain. As I said, this combination works for me.