Geocaching can be Dangerous

avantnoise

Well me and the wife were looking to place our first Cache and the spot we scouted was fine... but the she said he look at that hole in the fence... we were behind a shopping area.. it look perfect but when we went in.. in the distance i could see what look like a camping area... and i said to my wife people are living here lets get out of here.. and she started commenting to me how sad it was the people are living here and when we turned to leave 2 pretty big guys... walked in... my wife actually let out a scream because she was startled.... This was the first time I had wished i brought at least a knife with me.... they right away asked if we were looking for someone... and my wife tried to explain why we were there.. and we would not tell anyone about where they live.... now it went ok... but i could work out the situation in my head on how bad this could have went..... my first instinct was not to go in... and we live in a really nice area...and when looking at the sat view of this area there is a lot of woods here..... i was not very happy with my wife because she insisted we look and.. my instinct was to not... so right now i will always carry a knife with me when caching..... because something that was innocent turned into a possible tragedy... just my opinion...but i just want people to know they must be careful with our hobby.....

sLY

Well me and the wife were looking to place our first Cache and the spot we scouted was fine... but the she said he look at that hole in the fence... we were behind a shopping area.. it look perfect but when we went in.. in the distance i could see what look like a camping area... and i said to my wife people are living here lets get out of here.. and she started commenting to me how sad it was the people are living here and when we turned to leave 2 pretty big guys... walked in... my wife actually let out a scream because she was startled.... This was the first time I had wished i brought at least a knife with me.... they right away asked if we were looking for someone... and my wife tried to explain why we were there.. and we would not tell anyone about where they live.... now it went ok... but i could work out the situation in my head on how bad this could have went..... my first instinct was not to go in... and we live in a really nice area...and when looking at the sat view of this area there is a lot of woods here..... i was not very happy with my wife because she insisted we look and.. my instinct was to not... so right now i will always carry a knife with me when caching..... because something that was innocent turned into a possible tragedy... just my opinion...but i just want people to know they must be careful with our hobby.....

sLY

I agree we need to be aware. Listen to your instincts but honestly having a knife would probably just made things worse. Most "questionable persons" have a knack of being able to disarm un-trained people. Having a knife or other weapon can easily escalate a situation that otherwise would have ended quietly.

here is a scenario...

You (not really you but someone) is confronted, you are nervous and you dont "pull" pull the knife but just feel for it (for reassurance). This subtle movement puts the "aggressor" on edge. they become more confrontational. Then you pull the knife....

It is rare for this kind of scenario to end well.

I have heard quite a few stories from my dad who was a LEO for 32 years.

All this said...I always have a knife on me and have for over 20 years :anibad:

Hypocritical i know <_<

sLY

I agree we need to be aware. Listen to your instincts but honestly having a knife would probably just made things worse. Most "questionable persons" have a knack of being able to disarm un-trained people. Having a knife or other weapon can easily escalate a situation that otherwise would have ended quietly.

here is a scenario...

You (not really you but someone) is confronted, you are nervous and you dont "pull" pull the knife but just feel for it (for reassurance). This subtle movement puts the "aggressor" on edge. they become more confrontational. Then you pull the knife....

All this said...I always have a knife on me and have for over 20 years :anibad:

Hypocritical i know <_<

]

Oh I hear what you are saying... but during this situation i remained quite calm even though we were overpowered by 2 very large vagrants that could have done some damage.... I am trained very well in weapons training and understand the responsibility i have when caring a weapon... but understand we were in a very secluded area with no way of calling for help if these 2 down on there luck fellows wanted to attack... so ... dont get me wrong.. i would have never "pulled a knife unless threatened" but I am 45 years old and i am telling you... this was something that made me think different about geochaching... I will not stop but will certainly will make sure i am more alert and have something to defend myself if needed.

I am not trying to make people think i will hurt someone if i meet someone while out... doing our thing... but dont get me wrong if it comes to protecting my wife and myself..... well lets say it will not be fun....

Edited by avantnoise

I have come across a few of these "camps" in the last year and a half of caching. I am not sure what a knife would have done to the situation, but I know I always carry one as well. Not just for protection, but it is nice knowing you have it in your pocket. Luckily each time I have stumbled upon these areas nobody was "home". Makes you nervous though.

Seems to me that the real title of this thread should be Going to Places I Might Get Hurt can be Dangerous.

Other than the fact you were looking for a place to hide a geocache when you stumbled upon a spot you should have avoided, this story really had nothing to do with geocaching.

I hope you are not taking offence to this topic.. because if you would have been there you would have thought it was innocent. I live in an area that most people can not afford to live in..and I have found caches in similar areas.. so why would i think this is a bad place to look for a spot to put a cache.... I am in no way trying to say this hobby we love is dangerous.. and I am an adult that understand the difference between a safe spot and and bad spot... so I guarantee if you saw this spot you would have not thought it was a bad place.. the point i am trying to make is just be careful out there....

sLY

This is a horrible abuse of elipses.

There is much I can say about the circumstances and what transpired, but I am not going to judge because that's how these threads degrade.

All I am going to say is, a knife is only useful if one knows how to use it for protection. If not, that weapon can easily be turned around and used on the person who pulled it out for defence. The best defence, is to not go into places you shouldn't be in. A fence means to me that this area is not to be entered and potentially trespassing.

I have seen many areas where a gentrified,even gated community abuts a more impoverished community. That doesn't mean that that area is unsafe; I have felt plenty unsafe in wealthy suburban communities with young punks hanging out in the local park looking for trouble.

A much better alternative to a knife is defensive spray. Both you and the wife should be carrying it where you can get at it fast like on your belt or in your pants pocket. Two large guys and you with a knife, chances are they had bigger knives then you and know how to use them. The spray gives you time to put distance between yourself and an attacker. Did one of you have a cell phone? Most the time these things turn out ok but there is always a chance they won't, take this experience and learn from it so you are better prepared for the next what if.

I agree we ran upon an area that most would not want to be.... but like i said would seem innocent to most... and when we turned around we were confronted with a situation that could have been deadly.... once i realized we were in an area that i did not want to be ... to tell you the truth it was too late.... i dont know about others... but i have no fear about defending myself..but i would want to be properly armed.... i have the attitude that i must defend myself with force only if necessary... but understand... i would kill anyone to defend my wife (family) in a second.... and no one would think different.... this was not a game and not something i did on purpose.. this was a situation that was innocent that could have went wrong... just makes me think.... about wondering looking around for pretend treasures..... and i will be armed for now on.... weather it be for dogs.... animals.. or humans..... just saying.

A much better alternative to a knife is defensive spray. Both you and the wife should be carrying it where you can get at it fast like on your belt or in your pants pocket. Two large guys and you with a knife, chances are they had bigger knives then you and know how to use them. The spray gives you time to put distance between yourself and an attacker. Did one of you have a cell phone? Most the time these things turn out ok but there is always a chance they won't, take this experience and learn from it so you are better prepared for the next what if.

+1, this would be the best defence, unless that is you are downwind of the spray.

Doubt the po po would have issues with this in most areas, knives, guns, etc can be considered concealed weapons in most areas. And of course the likelihood that it could be turned on the one taking the defensive stance. As an inner city woman, I can definitely take care of myself in many situations, but I would never pull a weapon, that's just asking for trouble, so I purchased pepper spray. Now if only I remember to actually take it out with me....

Coldgears, your homeless person maybe harmless, but there are many that are mentally unstable or have had a run of bad luck and thusly, ornery.

Its never really a good idea to place a cache in near encampment unless that is he knows about it and is ok with it (I think it can be messy to cachers who may feel guilted into giving money out).

Its kinda, like placing a cache on your neighbors front yard unbeknownst to them. They may not take kind to it.

+1, this would be the best defence, unless that is you are downwind of the spray.

Doubt the po po would have issues with this in most areas, knives, guns, etc can be considered concealed weapons in most areas. And of course the likelihood that it could be turned on the one taking the defensive stance. As an inner city woman, I can definitely take care of myself in many situations, but I would never pull a weapon, that's just asking for trouble, so I purchased pepper spray. Now if only I remember to actually take it out with me....

Coldgears, your homeless person maybe harmless, but there are many that are mentally unstable or have had a run of bad luck and thusly, ornery.

Its never really a good idea to place a cache in near encampment unless that is he knows about it and is ok with it (I think it can be messy to cachers who may feel guilted into giving money out).

Its kinda, like placing a cache on your neighbors front yard unbeknownst to them. They may not take kind to it.

Well, I said you could see him, you don't have to go anywhere near him. It's hidden in a little known park. You can see it from the top of the hill you have to go on, but your a good 150 - 200 feet away. It's on the other side of the trail. I actually didn't even notice the campsite nearby until I went back for maintence (I knew of the homeless person that went to the store about 500 feet from the park bu tnever where he lived). The FTF noted the campsite and the poison ivy (I moved it because of poison ivy).

Aside not being the safest place to put a cache, I find caches that high light homeless encampments to be disrespectful to the individuals that are trying to live somewhere. They don't need to be someone's dog and pony show.

Not to mention the array of things left behind at these places that can be less than ok for other people to be messing around in (needles, human waste/body fluids of all varieties). Which would concern me much more than the person.

But yeah. I concur with GOF, this is their home so stay out of it.

Do any geocaching GPSr have an emergency bacon? So i could hit a button and it transmit an SOS and my location?

I wish my GPSr had emergency bacon. . .yum! Would come in handy for some salty goodness while on the trail <_<

But seriously, I can't really answer your GPSr question, but I wouldn't let this person's experience scare you so much. . .it's true we all have to be careful, but that's true of everything we do in life, not just geocaching. Use common sense, plan your caches before you go, and if your instincts tell you to leave a place, then leave.

The lesson I get from this is that as geocachers, we should be wary of fenced off areas and avoid temptation to enter them, either through gates or holes.

Do any geocaching GPSr have an emergency bacon? So i could hit a button and it transmit an SOS and my location?

Are you seriously afraid? Even if you did meet someone in the woods they probably wouldn't hurt you... Plus you could just fight back! Or if you fear they have a weapon... Run.

i've aborted some cache searches due to it being too deep in the woods and something creeped me out. That happened today. i had 300 more feet to go deep into a trail and i came across an area with lots of trash. Car tires, a boat, food containers. i got the chills and immediately left the area and headed to my car. i won't go for that cache alone again.

i don't expect to be attacked but you never know. i'd fight back but against a few mountain men i'd not do well. i can't find pepper spray in my town, i've looked in walmart and walgreens.

Are you seriously afraid? Even if you did meet someone in the woods they probably wouldn't hurt you... Plus you could just fight back! Or if you fear they have a weapon... Run.

i've aborted some cache searches due to it being too deep in the woods and something creeped me out. That happened today. i had 300 more feet to go deep into a trail and i came across an area with lots of trash. Car tires, a boat, food containers. i got the chills and immediately left the area and headed to my car. i won't go for that cache alone again.

i don't expect to be attacked but you never know. i'd fight back but against a few mountain men i'd not do well. i can't find pepper spray in my town, i've looked in walmart and walgreens.

I don't know about the laws in your area so don't know if you can buy such things. However, if they are legal you may want to try a gun store. They can probably also help with finding training. Any weapon used without training is just asmore likely to get into worse trouble.

I find the replies interesting for sure... and discussion is a good thing..... but I am not saying I am an aggressive person... and where I i went was not obvious a place of residence... but once i realized i was trekking in an area that i should not be it was too late.... once we realized there was people living here... and it was probably 200 or so yards away we started backing off but they must have seen us go in and came after us... probably worried we would report them to the police... i of course tried to calm the situation down and it went down smooth... but as time went by today i started thing how bad this could have been.....we said sorry and dont worry we are not going to say anything.. .and said have a nice day... but like i said they were 2 very large men over 6 feet and could have over powered of if they wanted... just had me thinking thats all... my wife actually cried part of today... feeling bad that these guys had to live that way... and of course i did not report them and go by the credo live and let live.....

sLY

here is a scenario...

All this said...I always have a knife on me and have for over 20 years :D

Hypocritical i know :)

]

Oh I hear what you are saying... but during this situation i remained quite calm even though we were overpowered by 2 very large vagrants that could have done some damage.... I am trained very well in weapons training and understand the responsibility i have when caring a weapon... but understand we were in a very secluded area with no way of calling for help if these 2 down on there luck fellows wanted to attack... so ... dont get me wrong.. i would have never "pulled a knife unless threatened" but I am 45 years old and i am telling you... this was something that made me think different about geochaching... I will not stop but will certainly will make sure i am more alert and have something to defend myself if needed.

I am not trying to make people think i will hurt someone if i meet someone while out... doing our thing... but dont get me wrong if it comes to protecting my wife and myself..... well lets say it will not be fun....

This is not about geocaching. This is about situational awareness. The same situation could have arisen if your car had broken down in the wrong spot. Sounds like you got out of it just fine, but I do wonder how it would have ended, had you pulled a knife and threatened them.

A couple of years ago while caching in the Pacific Northwest I routinely came across these encampments. Some times they were a few hundred yards from some really nice neighborhoods. I imagine the folks living there had no idea they were neighbors to a whole different community. Reminds me of that old 1980's TV show:

Man lives in the sunlit world of what he believes to be reality.

But... there is, unseen by most, an underworld, a place that is just as real,

but not as brightly lit... a DARKSIDE.

Anyway, you get my point. I've been told several times that I cache with my head down and pay little attention to my surroundings. This is a reminder to maintain situational awareness.

sLY

here is a scenario...

]

This is not about geocaching. This is about situational awareness. The same situation could have arisen if your car had broken down in the wrong spot. Sounds like you got out of it just fine, but I do wonder how it would have ended, had you pulled a knife and threatened them.

Not sure if anyone understands what the point is.. it could just be me.. and yes it does have to do about our hobby.... i was geochaching and ran into a situation where i felt that my and my wife's lives where and could have been in danger.,.... anyone could tell me different but ya know what... you were not there... and you were not the one with your back against the wall like we were.... yes it ended well and..... could have been bad... but these were people down on there luck and.... my wife was there .. who i would give my life for... and if it went that way yes i would have killed someone.... so anyone can say what they want but I was out geocaching and i felt in danger....

I'm still not understanding what it was that you felt threatened by. Did these two large, apparently homeless men threaten you? Was there a fight, or the threat of a fight? So you ran into to men that are bigger than you.... that in itself is not a problem I'm not saying that you didn't, or that you shouldn't have felt some caution, but you haven't told us anything yet that should have provoked the sort of reaction that would indicate that you should start carrying a knife while caching.

I'm still not understanding what it was that you felt threatened by. Did these two large, apparently homeless men threaten you? Was there a fight, or the threat of a fight? So you ran into to men that are bigger than you.... that in itself is not a problem I'm not saying that you didn't, or that you shouldn't have felt some caution, but you haven't told us anything yet that should have provoked the sort of reaction that would indicate that you should start carrying a knife while caching.

well lets put it this way... i am large myself and can handle myself... maybe felt off because the love of my life was with me... understand my natural reaction is not one of aggression but yes i will defend myself... but if we were attacked and i was unarmed in this situation it would have been a mess.

my thoughts are in agreement with those of knowschad

i read the OP a few times and i fail to see what the problem is/was

in the absence of any wrongdoing it actually seems to me an overreaction of sorts

there are many situations that when you think about them later on you realize that could have turned bad

and the whole situation doesn't make geocaching any more dangerous than hiking a trail or going out in general

one has to be mindful of their surroundings no matter what activity they engage in

well lets put it this way... i am large myself and can handle myself... maybe felt off because the love of my life was with me... understand my natural reaction is not one of aggression but yes i will defend myself... but if we were attacked and i was unarmed in this situation it would have been a mess.

But you were not attacked, were you? For all I can tell, these were just a couple of large puppy dogs, and you feel like you should arm yourself.

OK, to change tack a bit, you are from New York, I am from Minnesota. Depending on where in New York, you could be from a drastically different environment. But I have been caching for 6 years and over 5000 finds and I have yet to go after one single cache that left me feeling like I needed to arm myself. Maybe I'm just lucky, maybe I'm in a safer city, maybe I'm just stupid, but for you to already come here after six finds and post a message about how dangerous geocaching can be is at best unfortunate.

in the absence of any wrongdoing it actually seems to me an overreaction of sorts

there are many situations that when you think about them later on you realize that could have turned bad

and the whole situation doesn't make geocaching any more dangerous than hiking a trail or going out in general

one has to be mindful of their surroundings no matter what activity they engage in

Ok i see where this is going... and i know what i experienced.... and there was no over reaction on my part... even if i was carying a knife or one of the may handguns i own... no one would have been harmed unless there was a threat of life.... but understand these men were not too happy we happened upon there domain..... and we were no where near it... they were questing us and concerned.....put yourself in my position with your female partner and being in a secluded area..... you know what.... if no one can see my point.... this thread is useless. but if anyone reading this makes sure they are prepared for a possible bad situation while we enjoy our hobby.... well i feel my job is done... am i saying if you run into someone should you attack them... of course not... but understand there are people out there that could possibly do you harm..... and yes i did feel in danger and no one can tell me different... Peace!

Ok i see where this is going... and i know what i experienced.... and there was no over reaction on my part... even if i was carying a knife or one of the may handguns i own... no one would have been harmed unless there was a threat of life.... but understand these men were not too happy we happened upon there domain..... and we were no where near it... they were questing us and concerned.....put yourself in my position with your female partner and being in a secluded area..... you know what.... if no one can see my point.... this thread is useless. but if anyone reading this makes sure they are prepared for a possible bad situation while we enjoy our hobby.... well i feel my job is done... am i saying if you run into someone should you attack them... of course not... but understand there are people out there that could possibly do you harm..... and yes i did feel in danger and no one can tell me different... Peace!

Get some more training before you arm yourself. It will probably save your life.

Not sure if anyone understands what the point is.. it could just be me.. and yes it does have to do about our hobby.... i was geochaching and ran into a situation where i felt that my and my wife's lives where and could have been in danger.,.... anyone could tell me different but ya know what... you were not there... and you were not the one with your back against the wall like we were.... yes it ended well and..... could have been bad... but these were people down on there luck and.... my wife was there .. who i would give my life for... and if it went that way yes i would have killed someone.... so anyone can say what they want but I was out geocaching and i felt in danger....

Yep, completely understand. There have been times when I have approached an area and decided to walk away. I never saw one person but I still wouldn't go back. Unfortunately I'm afraid that one day while I'm out skipping through the tulips, I'll be caught unaware.

Some folks like to point out that geocaching is no different than any other venture into the woods.

Well, no kidding.

We should still cover the safety rules, don't you think?

Yep, completely understand. There have been times when I have approached an area and decided to walk away. I never saw one person but I still wouldn't go back. Unfortunately I'm afraid that one day while I'm out skipping through the tulips, I'll be caught unaware.

Some folks like to point out that geocaching is no different than any other venture into the woods.

Well, no kidding.

We should still cover the safety rules, don't you think?

Those safety rules hold true when you are going into the convenience store to pay for your gas. This is not a geocaching related issue. It is a situational awareness issue. Does that include geocaching? You BET it does. It also includes a flat tire in the "wrong" part of town, or going to the bank at the wrong time.

Those safety rules hold true when you are going into the convenience store to pay for your gas. This is not a geocaching related issue. It is a situational awareness issue. Does that include geocaching? You BET it does. It also includes a flat tire in the "wrong" part of town, or going to the bank at the wrong time.

Geocaching is part of the real world. What's your problem with the question?

We can't talk about going outside?

There are plenty of threads talking about this same issue.

Edited by BlueDeuce

sLY

Knife? don't waste your time. What state do you live in? Here in Nev we carry guns. CCW State. Gun beats knife everytime. I never go out without my XD45 especially when I bring the wife. Oops i just checked your profile. New York. Forget about protecting yourself there. No CCW. Law abiding citizens are just victims in these states. LIke Calif also.

Edited by MR57

sLY

here is a scenario...

Have you heard the saying "Never bring a knife to a gunfight"

sLY

This is a horrible abuse of elipses.

Since you are being so technical, it is spelled ellipses.

sLY

Yes this situation could have been uglier. I do carry a firearm, but nevertheless it's best to have good verbal skills in these situations than a quick draw. To someone who is that defensive about their territory and doesn't know anything about geocaching, the explanation is going to sound doubly like bull. However, when confronted with threatening speech or body posture, responding with what could be perceived as a return threat or a spin will only escalate the situation. Keep a non-threatening posture, and speak calmly and firmly. Take all insults and don't respond to accusations defensively. Rather, continue explaining your business. Some things inevitably become physical, but by and large if the person encountered isn't planning to use force in the first place it won't get to that point unless provoked to it. Try to figure out what is causing the other person to be aggressive or defensive and work the conversation about alleviating that.

After 10 years of working in the prison system, I've learned the best protection you can have is interpersonal skills.

Yes this situation could have been uglier. I do carry a firearm, but nevertheless it's best to have good verbal skills in these situations than a quick draw. To someone who is that defensive about their territory and doesn't know anything about geocaching, the explanation is going to sound doubly like bull. However, when confronted with threatening speech or body posture, responding with what could be perceived as a return threat or a spin will only escalate the situation. Keep a non-threatening posture, and speak calmly and firmly. Take all insults and don't respond to accusations defensively. Rather, continue explaining your business. Some things inevitably become physical, but by and large if the person encountered isn't planning to use force in the first place it won't get to that point unless provoked to it. Try to figure out what is causing the other person to be aggressive or defensive and work the conversation about alleviating that.

After 10 years of working in the prison system, I've learned the best protection you can have is interpersonal skills.

Thank you. nice post.

Geocaching is part of the real world. What's your problem with the question?

We can't talk about going outside?

There are plenty of threads talking about this same issue.

I think the main thing people are taking issue with is the suggestion that "Geocaching can be Dangerous" so I'm gonna arm myself.

If you would find yourself in the real world carrying a gun changing a flat tire, going into the bank, being in the woods, or anywhere else in the "real world," then perhaps you'd be ok carrying a weapon while geocaching (with proper knowledge on not only how to use the weapon, but how not to need to use it!). However, if you wouldn't find yourself carrying a weapon in these real world situations, perhaps you should reconsider carrying one while geocaching.