Geocaching License Plates

Only been in the game a short while here, probably not the only one who questioned this but, where are the organizational license plates with tracking numbers.

I just got a new car and the dealership gave me these new tags (Maryland) and I don't care for the design. Only had two other options in regards to official MD selection. Then there was this list of hundreds of organizational tags. College Alumni, Fire Dept., NRA, etc. ....

.....thought to myself, seen the tracking bug stickers......how about an actual license plate, the logo would look pretty good (plane black logo would look better for my state, but color maybe) and then essentially a tracking number/plate number would act as....well, the trackable code.

Any thoughts?

I have a trackable bug on my car. I had the decal made and then put it on my car. A decal like you see on some cars of Calvin Peeing on Ford if the car is a Chevy. Or you see the Dad, Mom, Kid(s) and dog.. I got new license plates that say CACHIN..So I know people wonder what it means... I like to keep them guessing...

If you want one of those clear window TB's, Debbiedoesdecals.com is where I got mine and they are quick to get them out and not expensive at all...

yeah, im familiar with the stickers, and i plan on getting one. Just like the idea of actual plate. I think anyone who needed to know, would know that the plate is trackable when they see the logo and a standardized set of numbers/letters just like any other trackable.

I would suggest this logo with a plate number/tracking code to the right similar to other organizational tags.

600px-Geocaching.svg.png

Edited by team_c.r.e.a.m.

Dont know about your state but here in Alabama you just have to have 1000 people committed to purchasing the plate to get it printed. It is $50 a year extra for the special plates which makes for an expensive trackable. I don't know of any negative way that the numbers could be used either (I'm a cop and have not seen them used for anything negative. They are plainly visible on the back of your car anyways). If you could get the people it would be cool. Typically, a percentage of that $50 goes to the organization (usu. nonprofits). It would be really cool, even if not a trackable, to have a geoplate made where some of the money went to conservation projects in the state. That would possibly be a good way to get some of these anti-geocaching states/areas/park systems to accept our game. There are other conservation plates out there, but this one would be good for conservation of hiking trails and biking trails and stuff of that sort.

Edited by cw1710

thanks for the input cw1710. my state (md) has a very limited selection of standard tags (3), but hundreds of organizational plates. and I believe your right with a portion going towards the organization. 1000 sounds like a reasonable number, i'm looking at some of md's organ. plates and i'm just having a hard time seeing 1000 people agreeing to purchase "Retired Enlisted Association Chesapeake Chapter 24 Organizational Plate" or the " S.P.E.B.S.Q.S.A., Inc. Organizational Plate ". Did notice plates are only $25 here.

Gonna keep looking in to this. Sounds do-able. spread the word.

well here's what I got, need only 25 members to commit to purchase plates ($25), not bad. not sure how exactly to handle application to mva. (http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Vehicle-Services/SpecialtyPlates/VR-039.pdf)

looks like it will require paperwork from Head of Groundspeak. tax info regarding non-profit status. But all in all not that much work to get it done. every state would have to go through their own hoops with mva/dmv.

This also seems like it would require 1 of 2 things to happen.

1. you still have to go purchase a tb to link to plate. ( not tot cool )

2. would require someone somehow (Groundspeak?) to set up a different "trackables" category. "Plates"

option 2 would simply allow you to register your new "Geoplate" online and bam! ready to go.

???

thanks for the input cw1710. my state (md) has a very limited selection of standard tags (3), but hundreds of organizational plates. and I believe your right with a portion going towards the organization. 1000 sounds like a reasonable number, i'm looking at some of md's organ. plates and i'm just having a hard time seeing 1000 people agreeing to purchase "Retired Enlisted Association Chesapeake Chapter 24 Organizational Plate" or the " S.P.E.B.S.Q.S.A., Inc. Organizational Plate ". Did notice plates are only $25 here.

You do know our local caching club here in Maryland (MGS) has it's own organization tag... I got mine a few weeks ago, They look pretty nice.

Edited by crashmore

You do know our local caching club here in Maryland (MGS) has it's own organization tag... I got mine a few weeks ago, They look pretty nice.

I was having a hard time believing no one else had thought of this already. Thank you. will check it out.

I was having a hard time believing no one else had thought of this already. Thank you. will check it out.