"Cache Cops" or "The Unknown Validator"

SkyTrek

Who are these guys!! I just placed my first cache and I'm waiting for the "mystery validator" to okay the package. Does JI have an army of 'Cache Cops" scattered all over the globe waiting with engines running for the location to come across their wrist radios so they can spring into action? I can't imagine how they can get to virtually every new cache within a couple days.

How are new "CC" recruited? Do you sign up somewhere, are you choosen by JI, is there a boot camp with hidden caches?

What's the story?

SkyTrek

The mystery validators don't visit the cache. They just check it online to be sure it is not in banned areas like national parks, DuPage County forest preserves, North Carolina state parks, etc. And they make sure there is nothing inappropriate about it. For example, placing a cache in a numclear powerplant would be bad. Placing a large PVC pipe cache at the base of a skyscraper would be bad. Adult themed contents would be bad.

The approvers usually get to them faster than you think. Weekends are slower because more are placed then. Since it is a weekday, your cache will probably be approved today.

The approvers were chosen by JI long long ago when the website first started.

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by rdw:

They just check it online to be sure it is not in banned areas like national parks, DuPage County forest preserves, North Carolina state parks, etc.

And even then they slip through sometimes. Hard to check everything.

BTW rdw - we've got one in DP that a ranger thought was a "good way to get families out to the parks" and he's allowing the cache. We're waiting to see if that means a turn-around for that county...

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

quote:

The approvers usually get to them faster than you think. Weekends are slower because more are placed then. Since it is a weekday, your cache will probably be approved today.

rdw

icon_wink.gif Just the other day, April 1, I had one approved before I finished with the travel bug section. I started around 8:05am EST and approved by 8:30am EST. Someone must gotta have a large java going. icon_cool.gif

quote:

rdw

icon_wink.gif Just the other day, April 1, I had one approved before I finished with the travel bug section. I started around 8:05am EST and approved by 8:30am EST. Someone must gotta have a large java going. icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SkyTrek:

Who are these guys!! I just placed my first cache and I'm waiting for the "mystery validator" to okay the package. Does JI have an army of 'Cache Cops" scattered all over the globe waiting with engines running for the location to come across their wrist radios so they can spring into action? I can't imagine how they can get to virtually every new cache within a couple days.

How are new "CC" recruited? Do you sign up somewhere, are you choosen by JI, is there a boot camp with hidden caches?

What's the story?

SkyTrek

OK, the truth is that with the coordinates posted they are able to beam in to verify everything is as it should be. icon_biggrin.gif

Any time now Scotty! icon_cool.gif

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

quote:
Originally posted by SkyTrek:

What's the story?

SkyTrek

OK, the truth is that with the coordinates posted they are able to beam in to verify everything is as it should be. icon_biggrin.gif

inceptor

quote:

rdw

I was writing a new cache yesterday (on a weekend, even) and when I had gotten the basics done, I submitted it, basically to save my work. I opened it up to edit it a bit more, and by the time I saved it again and viewed the page, it had already been approved! The cache was approved before I was even done creating it! How's that for efficiency!

25021_1200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by inceptor:

inceptor

Hmmm, maybe I better place a warning about "beaming in" when I place my next cache. I wouldn't want a validator to end up in a lava field because my coords were a little off. icon_wink.gif

- Lone Rangers

quote:
Originally posted by inceptor:

inceptor

Hmmm, maybe I better place a warning about "beaming in" when I place my next cache. I wouldn't want a validator to end up in a lava field because my coords were a little off. icon_wink.gif

- Lone Rangers