CITO why don't you do it?

Yesterday while caching in a local park, (one I knew about but had never visited), I hauled out so much trash from the trails and four cache sights my arms were getting tired carrying it all out. At one particular sight I found two rather unique pieces of trash; a piece of PVC pipe and a plastic golf ball. I picked them up of course and hauled them out along with two bags full of glass bottles and cans. Not to mention more latex gloves than I could count. (What goes on in this park?)

Later as I was looking back in the logs for that cache, I came across this passage from a little over a month ago:

"I did however find a penny on the forest floor and a plastic practice golf ball along with lots of homeless items tossed about. A plastic PVC pipe, several bottles, etc...

This cache sight was well off the beaten path and required a bit of bushwhacking to get to. So I wonder, why would someone (a geocacher) hike all the way back in there and leave this stuff? I have found myself at times without a trash bag but they are now a permanent part of my TOTT pack. But at least pick up something on the way don't you think?

Let's all take the higher ground and make our world better for all!

Yesterday while caching in a local park, (one I knew about but had never visited), I hauled out so much trash from the trails and four cache sights my arms were getting tired carrying it all out. At one particular sight I found two rather unique pieces of trash; a piece of PVC pipe and a plastic golf ball. I picked them up of course and hauled them out along with two bags full of glass bottles and cans. Not to mention more latex gloves than I could count. (What goes on in this park?)

Later as I was looking back in the logs for that cache, I came across this passage from a little over a month ago:

"I did however find a penny on the forest floor and a plastic practice golf ball along with lots of homeless items tossed about. A plastic PVC pipe, several bottles, etc...

This cache sight was well off the beaten path and required a bit of bushwhacking to get to. So I wonder, why would someone (a geocacher) hike all the way back in there and leave this stuff? I have found myself at times without a trash bag but they are now a permanent part of my TOTT pack. But at least pick up something on the way don't you think?

Let's all take the higher ground and make our world better for all!

I try to be good about it...sometimes I'm not.

Are you kidding me? Now I find this log post at another cache I found today:

"There's some garbage up there....maybe the next cachers can bring a trash bag and pick up some of it."

Did you know you can stuff a whole kitchen sized trash bag in a film canister? You can.

A friend of mine packs the film cans with the trash bag, puts a little CITO sticker on the lid and leaves them as swag.

Whoever finds one now has something to use on the trail.

Very enabling in my opinion.

Edited by BlueDeuce
  • Upvote 1

Honestly? I care less about the environment. I recycle, and I rarely litter... (I do occasionally but only when I'm forced too) but I refuse to pick up someone else's trash. They made the mess they can clean it up. I have OCD so i'm kind of a germ-a-phobe.

Did I read this right ? You don't care about the environment you just live in it .

Here's and old school thought. If your not part of the solution your part of the problem

• Upvote 1

If it's a little garbage I'll CITO like no more than a gallon baggy worht. I don't have garbage bags at my house... well let me rephrase that... the city I live in uses only city garbage bags. If you don't use said bags you get a nice little fine (and they will dig through garbage to ascertain if you are using the bags). Those bags are expensive. I don't have normal bags just my uber expensive bags... not using those for CITO.

I thought about buying regular bags for that purpose then ran into the conundrum of what to do with the garbage once I gather it. Do I put it on the roadside where it will never get picked up? Or do I haul it in my car to the dump with me? In which case I'd have to shell out more money to do a good deed.

Governments have made doing something as simple as a good deed awfully hard.

... and I rarely litter... (I do occasionally but only when I'm forced too)...

How can you be "forced" to litter. :D

Like when I'm drinking something in the car and then all of asudden I spill the coffee on me, I'm burning and both of my cup holders are taken, in order to clean up the coffee I have to get my napkins. So I threw my coffee out the window to stop the burn... Yes, things like this happen about twice a year...

How can you be "forced" to litter. :sad:

Like when I'm drinking something in the car and then all of asudden I spill the coffee on me, I'm burning and both of my cup holders are taken, in order to clean up the coffee I have to get my napkins. So I threw my coffee out the window to stop the burn... Yes, things like this happen about twice a year...

Throw it on the floor of the car. If everyone had your attitude about littering and about picking up litter we would be up to our armpits in it. You are a part of the problem.

Why would I not CITO? I cache with two kids. I have been to one or two geocache sites that were so littered with trash that I literally wouldn't let the kids go look for the cache (broken glass, used condoms, etc). On those occasions, I did not CITO. Beyond that, I keep an odd assortment of plastic grocery bags and dog poop bags in my backpack, and we always CITO. To the kids, it's part of geocaching.

Honestly? I care less about the environment. I recycle, and I rarely litter... (I do occasionally but only when I'm forced too) but I refuse to pick up someone else's trash. They made the mess they can clean it up. I have OCD so i'm kind of a germ-a-phobe.

Huh? What? You could care less about the environment? You sometimes are FORCED to litter? You ove OCD, and that makes you a germaphobe? You don't mind leaving your own trash, but refuse to pick up somebody else's?

You seem to be the Poster Child for littering! I sure hope that we are misunderstanding what you are saying!!!

First, even germaphobes can purchase gloves, and if you really need it, respirator masks. You can wash your hands in disinfectant after the Evil Deed if you are so inclined. But you do NOT have the right to leave ANYTHING behind that you carried in!!! If that is really what you sometimes allow yourself to do, then dude... you are The Enemy! You are that person that I and many others have railed about for years. If you can carry it in full, you can danged well carry it out empty!

And if you are truely a "germaphobe", then what on earth are you doing opening geocaches in the first place?

I seriously hope that I have misread your post. If I have, I apologize ahead of time for my unwarrented rants. But if I read you right, then the apologies due are on your side, and not just to me, but to many!

Huh? What? You could care less about the environment? You sometimes are FORCED to litter? You ove OCD, and that makes you a germaphobe? You don't mind leaving your own trash, but refuse to pick up somebody else's?

You seem to be the Poster Child for littering! I sure hope that we are misunderstanding what you are saying!!!

First, even germaphobes can purchase gloves, and if you really need it, respirator masks. You can wash your hands in disinfectant after the Evil Deed if you are so inclined. But you do NOT have the right to leave ANYTHING behind that you carried in!!! If that is really what you sometimes allow yourself to do, then dude... you are The Enemy! You are that person that I and many others have railed about for years. If you can carry it in full, you can danged well carry it out empty!

And if you are truely a "germaphobe", then what on earth are you doing opening geocaches in the first place?

I seriously hope that I have misread your post. If I have, I apologize ahead of time for my unwarrented rants. But if I read you right, then the apologies due are on your side, and not just to me, but to many!

I think that post caused more trouble then good... Can we put this behind us and forget it never happened. :santa:

I just keep getting "attacked" for it. I'd rather not be known as "that guy" who is the forum dunce.

I will pick up what I can but there are certain things I'm just not going to pick up. Used condoms is one thing. I also will not pick up broken glass unless I have gloves on which I do most times but not always. I also will not pick up rotten or spoiled food thats just nasty. Plastic,paper and things of that sort no problem. I always carry hand cleaner with me.

Actually, I agree with Coldgears! If I spent all my time cleaning up other people's garbage, I wouldn't have time for anything else. I don't deal well with other people's stupidity.

That being said, I spent ten years maintaining a trail in a state park. The major part of the job was CITO. (They don't explain that to you when you sign up!) Many hundreds of beer bottles (alcohol is banned, but who does that stop?). I have grown to hate Corona. Those are heavy bottles! Water bottles. (You're too lazy to carry out your water bottle?!?) Broken glass is nasty stuff! Somehwere I kept a list of what I carried out. Odd things? One young girl's flipflop, left. One baseball bat. One pair boxer shorts, size medium, color: blue plaid. (Umm... How did you lose your underwear?!?) One beer ball. (Actually, I had no idea what that was...) One fork. One pair sunglasses. And the list goes on.

Sorting for recycling is not pleasant. Town wants the beer bottles washed out! Gross.

Thanks. I've done my time. Though I do pick up golf balls and baseballs to leae in caches. :)

Actually, I agree with Coldgears! If I spent all my time cleaning up other people's garbage, I wouldn't have time for anything else. I don't deal well with other people's stupidity.

That being said, I spent ten years maintaining a trail in a state park. The major part of the job was CITO. (They don't explain that to you when you sign up!) Many hundreds of beer bottles (alcohol is banned, but who does that stop?). I have grown to hate Corona. Those are heavy bottles! Water bottles. (You're too lazy to carry out your water bottle?!?) Broken glass is nasty stuff! Somehwere I kept a list of what I carried out. Odd things? One young girl's flipflop, left. One baseball bat. One pair boxer shorts, size medium, color: blue plaid. (Umm... How did you lose your underwear?!?) One beer ball. (Actually, I had no idea what that was...) One fork. One pair sunglasses. And the list goes on.

Sorting for recycling is not pleasant. Town wants the beer bottles washed out! Gross.

Thanks. I've done my time. Though I do pick up golf balls and baseballs to leae in caches. :)

I totally agree! I posted in another forum tonight about how we found full size liquor bottles wrapped in brown paper bags and a wine bottle wrapped the same with THE CORKSCREW STILL STUCK IN THE CORK, laying under a pine tree where a hide was !!!

(DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED with the underwear thing !! Makes me think of the very patriotic 4th of July boxers we found hanging 25' up in a tree ? I've lost A LOT of things in the woods....my camera strap, my sunglasses, my favorite pen, a half eaten trail bar but NEVER my underwear and frankly, IF ( and that's a really big if ), I did lose my underwear, I would know it by the time I got back to the car and I would go back for them !!!

One day we found FOUR !! That's right !! FOUR pair of undies in the woods AND a belt !!!)

Anyway, there's NO WAY I'm picking that stuff up ! Seriously ! WHO ? WHO sucks down a full size bottle of Vodka wrapped in a paper bag and throws it under a pine tree in a parking lot ? Uhhh, a drunken slob would be my guess ! WHO ? WHO throws a wine bottle WITH THE CORKSCREW STILL STUCK IN IT under the same pine tree ?

I pick that nasty drunk's Vodka bottle up today and I GUARANTEE, there's another one there tomorrow !

My town is beautiful. Why is it beautiful ? Because the people who live here respect it and keep it clean. We don't throw our garbage out our car windows into shopping mall parking lots. We just don't. I won't break my back picking up liquor bottles, underwear, presription bottles etc... in towns I cache in where that town's residents obviously don't care and use their city sidewalks, streets and parking lots as their own personal dumpster.

If the people who live there don't care, why should I ?

I don't carry trashbags with me when geocaching. I'll sometimes grab small trash I see, like a wrapper or plastic bottle.

If you see a really trashy area a CITO event is probably a good idea.

Just because a geocache is in a seemingly obscure off-the-path location doesn't mean only geocachers know about it. Homeless people and those interested in conducting illicity acitivies without being noticed are likely to seek out off-the-path locations.

"There's some garbage up there....maybe the next cachers can bring a trash bag and pick up some of it."

Did you know you can stuff a whole kitchen sized trash bag in a film canister? You can.

A friend of mine packs the film cans with the trash bag, puts a little CITO sticker on the lid and leaves them as swag.

What a great idea! I wear contact lenses, so have to use a new cleaning case once a month. I'm going to start stuffing bin bags into the used lens cases and put them into caches! Great idea again!

I'm minorly OCD, and worry a lot about what kind of germs are on the garbage i'm going to pick up (depending on what it is of course. I have no problem picking up a golf ball or a PVC pipe, but food garbage, personal items etc make me shudder). We don't really see a WHOLE LOT of stuff to CITO, at least with the snow it's all covered up.

Carry a pair of work gloves, or even rubber gloves if you wish, with you... no problem.

And don't forget... that which doesn't kill me, only makes me sicker. :lol:

Make the best of it. I collect the aluminum cans that I find along the way and get about 60 gallons of crushed cans a year. Might only be worth a couple lunches, but they are getting recycled.

We agree. We often CITO our way back. Seems odd sometimes that others look at you like you're a nut. Guess we have to be more centered on that next find. :rolleyes:

My other 2/3rds gets so many cans that it usually overflows the trailer.

- We use the extra cash to pick up trinkets for kids at events the next year.

I'm minorly OCD, and worry a lot about what kind of germs are on the garbage i'm going to pick up (depending on what it is of course. I have no problem picking up a golf ball or a PVC pipe, but food garbage, personal items etc make me shudder). We don't really see a WHOLE LOT of stuff to CITO, at least with the snow it's all covered up.

Carry a pair of work gloves, or even rubber gloves if you wish, with you... no problem.

And don't forget... that which doesn't kill me, only makes me sicker. :lol:

- And latex gloves pack well in film cans too. Use those film cans for good reasons. ;)

We always have hand sanitizer with us. We use it every time we're done with a cache. We don't know who was there last.

You guys would have died if you saw me strap a "tree freshener" under my nose while pickin' up some creeps colostomy bag in a CITO a couple of years ago.

Get a grabby hand. I am a bit round in the middle which prevents me from bending over really easily and I find using grabby hands a great tool.

Now think of it from a Geocaching perspective. _NO_ _MORE_ _THORNS_!

That film canister at the back of some bramble is now easily accessible and that aiplane aluminum does not care about the inch long DNA collectors that are keeping you from your prize.

Now think of it from a CITO perspective. _YOU_ _DON'T_ _HAVE_ _TO_ _TOUCH_ _DISCARDED_ _UNDERWEAR_!

Grabby hands go by the term "reacher" and can be found at many drug stores such as Walgreens or CVS.

In any case, they are not heavy, fit in your bag (Many models fold up) and your days of thorn sores and panty germs are over.

Edited by databit

In my local area there don't seem to be any places where it's possible to practice CITO... Either the area is as clean as a whistle or you can't really see the floor for old washing machines and car tyres. Aside from that, although I'm new to caching and have been going on relatively easy walks to do it, my preference is hill and mountain walking. Perhaps other people have the stamina to spend half the time stopping to pick up litter so that they can cart it over hill and fell with them, but I find it challenging enough already. Not that I'd discourage events aimed at CITO; that's quite different.

As far as the problem goes though, I think the solution for society is to discourage the litterers from dropping their rubbish in the first place, rather than encouraging the rest of us to pick it up for them. CITO is sadly only a very temporary fix. If there were a scheme where, whilst out geocaching, you jab anyone you see littering with a cattle prod... I'd do that :D

I'm always amazed at how an individual can often come back a few pounds heavier (with trash) then when they entered the woods. I'm not talking about a woodlot next to a subdivision, I'm talking about the National Forest! I'm also amazed at what strange items you will find in the middle of nowhere.

In case you are wondering, how about a light bulb in the middle of the woods, far from anyones home...(But then this is a subject for another post.)

A plastic grocery bag is my limit. I recently visited a DNF that had me in a homeless camp with enough trash to fill the back of a pick-up truck! TP in all the bushes and under the trees, almost too gross for words. Major kudos to those of you who do more than me.

This is what happened to me today and to be honest I was really upset that a CO lead me to a homeless camp. This is supposed to be a family friendly activity (I thought) and we have stepped in human poop and seen more than our share of garbage. This was WAY more than the 4 of us could clean up tonight. I would take a lamp post cache over a homeless camp any day of the week. In the listing the CO put, you could do some CITO here. I was wondering, seriously, is that how CITO works? You just pick an awful place and send people there? Please help me understand.

Edit to clarify: This wasn't in a park or the woods, it was behind a grocery store. There was a truck bed liner, tons of cardboard lining the area, all sorts of other trash AND this is a relatively new cache so they knew what this area was used for when the cache was placed.

Edited by AmphibianTrackers

I'm thinking that if a cache is in a homeless camp, it should be reported to the Groundspeak folks who review caches before publishing them. Is there a reporting process for this type of thing?

I would bail on any search as soon as I see an issue with the location. High crime areas, unsanitary conditions such as hypodermic needles, used latex gloves, human feces, etc. are inappropriate places to hide caches. It's just not worth a smiley, and I definitely wouldn't take a child into any of these situations. Also, I would make a log entry with details like this to warn others who would appreciate this kind of info.

Yes, everyone should pick up trash, or make an effort to remove some of it. Any little bit helps. If germs gross you out, wear gloves or use another trash bag over your hand to pick it up. Not only that, but caches have a ton of grime inside sometimes. What's the difference?

Edited by adriftatsea

I'm thinking that if a cache is in a homeless camp, it should be reported to the Groundspeak folks who review caches before publishing them. Is there a reporting process for this type of thing?

I would bail on any search as soon as I see an issue with the location. High crime areas, unsanitary conditions such as hypodermic needles, used latex gloves, human feces, etc. are inappropriate places to hide caches. It's just not worth a smiley, and I definitely wouldn't take a child into any of these situations. Also, I would make a log entry with details like this to warn others who would appreciate this kind of info.

Yes, everyone should pick up trash, or make an effort to remove some of it. Any little bit helps. If germs gross you out, wear gloves or use another trash bag over your hand to pick it up. Not only that, but caches have a ton of grime inside sometimes. What's the difference?

Thank you for your thoughts. We care about the environment and we do believe in CITO. We were just overwhelmed by two homeless camps that we were taken to.

Thank you for your thoughts. We care about the environment and we do believe in CITO. We were just overwhelmed by two homeless camps that we were taken to.

I don't blame you. That's NOT a good place for a cache.

I was finally able to attend a CITO event this spring, along the Swannannoa River in Asheville, NC. Hauled out, among other things, was a toilet. Someone even found a wallet. I regularly do roadside pickup along a mile stretch of my road. Last haul, several months ago, netted 17 or so bags in one weekend. I've brought home drinking glasses, toys, a sun shield, and a working air compressor that plugs in the cig lighter port. Once at at cache site, I picked up a 6ft section of skinny pvc pipe (I know we'll use it eventually at our house). And i have hauled home lots of tennis balls and golf balls.

Sometimes, I'm in a power caching mode, and want to find as many as I can that day, so doing CITO kinds of falls into the back of my head. And, I assume that last sentence falls into the category of a lot of cachers. (There is one section, near my home, that had a cache, but looks like it became a dump. I spent 30 minutes there, looking for the cache that was archived. Don't know how I missed that. I have told myself that I will head up there, with my orange roadside cleanup bags, and hop to it. I leave all my orange bags next to the road and call the Bag Pick Up Crew at transportation, and they come get them.)

Enough spouting, don't even know if anyone else will read this posting.

I was finally able to attend a CITO event this spring, along the Swannannoa River in Asheville, NC. Hauled out, among other things, was a toilet. Someone even found a wallet. I regularly do roadside pickup along a mile stretch of my road. Last haul, several months ago, netted 17 or so bags in one weekend. I've brought home drinking glasses, toys, a sun shield, and a working air compressor that plugs in the cig lighter port. Once at at cache site, I picked up a 6ft section of skinny pvc pipe (I know we'll use it eventually at our house). And i have hauled home lots of tennis balls and golf balls.

Sometimes, I'm in a power caching mode, and want to find as many as I can that day, so doing CITO kinds of falls into the back of my head. And, I assume that last sentence falls into the category of a lot of cachers. (There is one section, near my home, that had a cache, but looks like it became a dump. I spent 30 minutes there, looking for the cache that was archived. Don't know how I missed that. I have told myself that I will head up there, with my orange roadside cleanup bags, and hop to it. I leave all my orange bags next to the road and call the Bag Pick Up Crew at transportation, and they come get them.)

Enough spouting, don't even know if anyone else will read this posting.

That is awesome that they will come and pick them up. Where do you get the orange trash bags? Does anyone know if this will work in FL as well?

Edited by AmphibianTrackers

Here in Henderson County, NC, we get the ornage bags from the county DOT. You fill them, leave them on the roadsides, and call them to pick them up. Sometimes it takes them a bit to come get them. I don't know if they have this roadside cleanup program in Florida. We have two pickup drives a year, one in the spring and one in the fall. I just pick up the trash when there isn't too much poison ivy along the roads, and when it is not boiling hot. You would have to call your county DOT, and see if they do this.

Here in Henderson County, NC, we get the ornage bags from the county DOT. You fill them, leave them on the roadsides, and call them to pick them up. Sometimes it takes them a bit to come get them. I don't know if they have this roadside cleanup program in Florida. We have two pickup drives a year, one in the spring and one in the fall. I just pick up the trash when there isn't too much poison ivy along the roads, and when it is not boiling hot. You would have to call your county DOT, and see if they do this.

That is cool! Thanks for the info! B)

If on my way back from a cache I have empty hands, or hopefully a trash bag, I have no problem picking up some litter. If we don't keep our environment clean we won't be able to enjoy it at all. Keep an inexpensive pair of gloves in pocket to help with this, and wash up or use sterilizing lotion immediately afterward.

Leave trash bags filled at a location next to the trash cans there, it is after all from there and you were just doing them a favor assisting in the picking up. Anal cities that dig through trash will only find other's debris, and they deserve to be in dutch for leaving it behind in the first place.

How can you be "forced" to litter. :D

Wow, just wow. Wow.

Terrible.

I'm new to geocaching, but I thought I'd throw a word in here. Lots of the bushes within two miles of my house are home to beer bottles, cans, random pieces of paper, and other such items. Though I have not yet seen any undergarments. I have not yet carried any of it out yet, though I probably will in the future when I can. The important thing to remember is that you don't have to be "all in" or "all out." It can be possible to find a happy medium. Carry out what you can, when you can, but if you're not comfortable touching it then don't. I would rather have you helping a little than not at all.

Our 8 year old son does up those CITO film cans, he adds them to any cache that has room for them. We also pick up what we can while out, with a 3 year old tagging along sometimes it is easier said than done. If we are out for a full day we can usually come home with 2-3 grocery bags full and about 1-2 reusable bags full of bottle/cans. We always have bags and disposable gloves with us and honestly try to get what we can.

Our 8 year old son does up those CITO film cans, he adds them to any cache that has room for them. We also pick up what we can while out, with a 3 year old tagging along sometimes it is easier said than done. If we are out for a full day we can usually come home with 2-3 grocery bags full and about 1-2 reusable bags full of bottle/cans. We always have bags and disposable gloves with us and honestly try to get what we can.

Good on you, mate.

LOL

That post was way back in 2010. I was trolling. It's long over. I wish it would die.

Dude that is genius! Consider that idea stolen!

• Upvote 1

I like this. I may do an ammo can full of these film cans in an area that needs constant help keeping clean. My boys and I try to CITO everytime we go out. Something we learned in Scouts. Leave no trace.

• Upvote 1