what unit holds the most caches?

movemaine

Hi,

I'm looking for a gpsr to use with my blackberry for geocaching.

I was looking at the Dakota 20, but saw in the forums that it only held 2,000 caches. I want a device that can hold an unlimited number of caches (providing you have a large enough sd card).

Suggestions?

Would 5000 do it? Oregon 450 might be a nice upgrade from the Dakota 20.

The gotcha with any of the Garmins is that they move the cache data into internal working memory, and there's a limit to that. They don't operate directly from the *.gpx data on the SD card.

Alternately, you could go with "Points of Interest" instead of "Caches". Caches can be converted to a giant POI file. You lose the benefits of paperless caching, but the number goes through the roof. I'm not sure I've heard a limit specified, if there is one, apart from the amount of SD card you've got available.

Understand that you're going to be limited to 5,000 caches a day in your Pocket Queries, so it may take a few days to obtain them all if you're planning on something crazy like 30,000 caches.

i can't help to wonder why anyone would want so many caches on a device?

I essentially want a huge search radius from my home. I've been a little spoiled with my blackberry/geocache navigator to pull nearby caches on the fly. So I want to be able to load a large area of caches on whatever gps device I purchase. A lot of times, we impulse geocache as well - and if I'm out and about I want the caches available.,

I essentially want a huge search radius from my home. I've been a little spoiled with my blackberry/geocache navigator to pull nearby caches on the fly. So I want to be able to load a large area of caches on whatever gps device I purchase. A lot of times, we impulse geocache as well - and if I'm out and about I want the caches available.,

Not sure what handheld unit you've used in the past, but the newer Garmin touchscreen models allow a somewhat faster entry of a waypoint coordinate than the toggle button units. You touch "Mark Waypoint", then you're immediately offered an option to modify the coordinates. Tapping the numbers is a quick with the touchscreen. Since you've got the Crackberry, and you can see the coordinates of the nearest cache on that, the time to get the handheld ready to go should be pretty minimal. Something to ponder, anyway.
The Delorme PN-40 (with newest firmware) and PN-60 fit that description: 1500 waypoints and/or caches per file, number of files subject only to available memory (32GB cards work in these units).
How does that "fit the description" better than the OP's originally cited Garmin Dakota 20, which holds 2000 waypoints and also has GPX file capability? It actually sounds like a step down from what he was looking at.

I noticed that the PN-40 with latest firmware has a "feature" related to GPX-based waypoint storage that I don't like. If you change a add or change a waypoint while you're on the go, when you shut the device off it saves back the ENTIRE active waypoint file to the SD card. Takes a long time -- seemed like about 5 seconds per hundred waypoints. That'd be over a full minute to do a clean shutdown if your active waypoint list was nearly full.

How does that "fit the description" better than the OP's originally cited Garmin Dakota 20, which holds 200
The absolute limit on the Dakota is 2000 no matter how they're spread across between 1 and 200 *.gpx files. Sounds like the PN40 may have no practical absolute limit since "1500 per file" X "as many files as you can load up to 32GB" would cover every cache in the world. Then again, I may be misinterpreting the PN40, but that's how it appears.
I essentially want a huge search radius from my home.
Define huge <_<

Even with unlimited waypoint storage on a GPS, there are some practical limits on what you can GET at any one time. A given pocket query is limited to 1000 caches and you can "only" run five PQs a day. How wide a radius from your home does 5000 caches get you?

Edited by lee_rimar
The absolute limit on the Dakota is 2000 no matter how they're spread across between 1 and 200 *.gpx files
I did not know that, thanks <_< I thought there was away to load/clear which batch was active in memory at any given time. As I don't have the Dakota any more I didn't have a chance to play with it this morning before commenting. Edited by lee_rimar
The absolute limit on the Dakota is 2000 no matter how they're spread across between 1 and 200 *.gpx files
I did not know that thanks <_< I thought there was away to load/clear which batch was active in memory at any given time. As I don't have the Dakota any more I didn't have a chance to play with it before commenting.

It's pretty much the same deal with all of the recent Garmin units. The Oregon 450 will manage 5,000 spread across as many as 200 files, but is still limited to a total of 5,000, and there's no way (without connecting to a PC) to fiddle the active *.gpx file(s). When new *.gpx file(s) are detected, both the Dakota and Oregon units will reload the "external" *.gpx file data to internal memory the next time the unit boots.

Hi,

I was looking at the Dakota 20, but saw in the forums that it only held 2,000 caches. I want a device that can hold an unlimited number of caches (providing you have a large enough sd card).Suggestions?

I am relatively new to geocaching, and used to feel this way as well. I have a Colorado 450t which has a downloadable capacity of 2,000 caches/waypoints.

After geocaching for a couple of months, and really getting into the "game," here are a few of my personal observations (mainly from personal experience and reading these boards).

1. Look into GSAK, as this database program will really help with the upload/download of caches in to your GPS, but mainly filters the caches that you want to look for into specific searches.

2. I always thought it was cool to download as many caches in to my GPS, and then have them "at the ready" to look at my leisure. But, as I traveled with my GPS, I eventually found that I didn't have the "right" caches loaded, or the difficulty, or, or....hence looking at these boards and getting GSAK.

3. I now upload and then clear a specific cache search each time I cache, which saves time, and I find the cache type I am looking for each time. When I am done, I clear the search from the GPS (which is saved for the future in GSAK) and load another search specific route for next time.

4. GSAK gives the ability to prescribe a specific route with a cache range along that route, i.e.- 0.5 miles, 1.0 miles, etc.

Bottom line, as a new cacher discovering new things each time I go out, having a plethora of caches loaded into my GPS was a waste, but targeting my seaches by cache size, difficulty, or route, has made the "game" much more fun.

Just my .02 from a relatively "new" gamer. <_<

Hi,

I was looking at the Dakota 20, but saw in the forums that it only held 2,000 caches. I want a device that can hold an unlimited number of caches (providing you have a large enough sd card).Suggestions?

I am relatively new to geocaching, and used to feel this way as well. I have a Colorado 450t which has a downloadable capacity of 2,000 caches/waypoints.

Your Oregon 450t will hold 5000 points as “Geocaches”, 2000 points as waypoints and unlimited points as POI’s. All of these can be used to load geocaches but are treated differently in the GPS. Only 5000 points will be true paperless geocaches. The waypoints and POI’s are only semi-paperless.

Thanks for the input everyone -

next question - on the Garmins, can I keep more than 2000 caches on the sd card and load them from the sd card as needed?

So, lets say I have gpx files for different counties - if I have them all on my sd card, can I load them as I need on the fly?

2000 on x00 models and 5000 on x50 models.

You can keep all of your GPX (Geocache) files on your microSD cards. That way you could swap microSD cards with different geographic areas.

Edited by Cacheoholic

2000 on x00 models and 5000 on x50 models.

You can keep all of your GPX (Geocache) files on your microSD card. That way you could swap microSD cards with different geographic areas.

Ok, so you are saying that I could not have one sd card with several different gpx files? I don't want to have multiple microsd cards - darn things are too small.

The Oregon will only load GPX files that are in the GPX folders either internal or external memory. So you could remove the microSD memory from the GPS and install in your Blackberry (assuming the Blackberry accepts microSD). This will allow you to move the GPX files in and out of the GPX folder making the GPS load the caches you want.

You cannot change GPX files from within the GPS itself. You must connect to a PC or remove the memory and move files with a PC, Pocket PC, etc.

well that's a design UI error - I would think that having the capability to load and unload different files within a sd card would be a fairly obvious feature.

You cannot change GPX files from within the GPS itself. You must connect to a PC or remove the memory and move files with a PC, Pocket PC, etc.

well that's a design UI error - I would think that having the capability to load and unload different files within a sd card would be a fairly obvious feature.

It may sound so to you on the surface, but there's a reason why this isn't possible with the current architecture. When you copy *.gpx file(s) over onto one of these units, these *.gpx file(s) is(are) "discovered" as new or modified during boot, and the information for those caches are all loaded to tables in the unit's internal memory -- up to a limit of 5000 caches worth. Garmin is then keeping an "internal record" of the status of each cache from that(those) *.gpx file(s). The *.gpx file(s) that you have copied to the unit is(are) NOT modified when you log finds, etc. If you add or swap out an a *.gpx file with another, and the internal memory already contained information on 5000 caches, there would be no place for the unit to keep the internal history of the caches from the previous *.gpx file. That's just the way it is at the moment.

Given that, there's nothing obvious at all about trying to add the "swapable" feature... it would require an entire re-engineering of the current method of dealing with caches in memory. As it is, you'd better be doing something useful with the previous data before moving a duplicate named *.gpx file to the unit with the PC, too. Moving the old *.gpx file back will show all previously unfound caches as found, etc., which is why the SD card swapping is presently unworkable.

Fortunately, the geocache_visits.txt file is not disturbed in any case. Until deleted, the unit will continue to append additional cache logs, so at least you still have records of your visits.

Edited by ecanderson

so the delorme units may be my best bet?

I live in Maine, and there are a ton of caches here. 100 miles from my zip results in 7,441 caches.

So, I think a unit that holds 5,000 caches and has a compass would be my preference.

Roger that for a compass included DeLorme PN-40 or -60 for 7,441 caches in paperless descriptions for a straightforward, tractable scenario which does not rely on multiple cards and switching thereof.

Does the Delorme allow for custom maps (such as gpsfiledepot.com, etc.)?

Think you directed this to Cowboy, but if he stepped away...

Delorme (vector) routable road and topo maps(comes with GPS package).

(The following raster image maps are for annual $30 subscription:)

USGS quad

Black and White aerial

Color aerial

Hi-rez color aerial (where available)

USGS coast charts

Sat 10 color

Plus custom draw layer stuff you can do your self and plaster on top of all the other types.

Edited by Woodstramp
Does the Delorme allow for custom maps (such as gpsfiledepot.com, etc.)?
Depends what you're really after when you say "custom maps." Do you want to download material folks have contributed to GPSFileDepot and other open-source repositories, or do you want to make your own maps? If you create your own, do you want it just for your own use or to share it with the world?

If you want to tap into GPSFileDepot and other open-source repositories, Garmin has the edge. Pretty much all of the open source map you're gonna find for handheld GPS are formatted for Garmin. It is also possible to make your own maps (where else would all that open source material have come from, other than folks making them?) but this is not something I've worked with much. Google "Garmin Custom Maps" if you want to folow-up on this.

While DeLorme offers good mapmaking tools, their implementation (and licensing) makes sharing difficult -- which is why there's almost nothing DeLorme-compatible on GPSFileDepot and elsewhere.

It's ironic - because DeLorme is primarily a mapping company -- yet in the consumer GPS marketplace, there are more mapping options for Garmin users. But in actual practice, it's not that big a difference for most users -- just when you really want some map that's only available for one make but not the other.

Edited by lee_rimar

"It's ironic - because DeLorme is primarily a mapping company -- yet in the consumer GPS marketplace, there are more mapping options for Garmin users."

Not ironic. Delorme is a mapping company that has recently came to the GPS business. Making thier maps "easily shared" would not help profits. (If I owned Delorme I wouldn't throw out the baby with the bath water either)

Though hard work Garmin is the established Mac-daddy of GPS. (Pun intended) It stands to reason that the most popular GPS units would have more folks making maps to share. In a strange way it's ind of like the way there is more malware written to affect Windows computers, IMO.

Well I do not think the problem is GPSs not holding enough caches. I think the problem is the numbers hounds have overwhelmed the quality caches with all their lame caches. Geez, if you have seen one lamppost or guard rail you have seen them all. You cannot filter out the trash so you need bigger and bigger GPS capacities. You have to do your best to find the quality caches. In the early days of caching there where many less but (other the the yellow jeep Locationlesss which I did not stoop to logging) it almost always was an interesting location or nice hike. I wish GC.com would do something to crack down on these number hounds and restore some balance between quality and quantity. I would like to see two things: 1) Enforce the rules on requiring permission to place a cache on private property (Walmart and other parking lots) and limit cachers to one account with only 50 active hidden caches (when I hid about my 45th cache I had more hides than anyone in the world-50 should be enough for anyone).

I keep this imagery on my PN-40 and I can see the cache icon (in the middle here) in relation to the surroundings.
Thanks -- I could see enough in that one to identify the location and read the cache name (Suds Says...). Here's what it looks like on an iPhone running the Groundspeak app, which can download and save both Google and Bing imagery for caches. Actually, the images look a bit better on the phone than online here ...

Google:

1799051c-7b9c-4239-a041-5566175658d6.jpg

Bing:

50a05be1-8779-4ce4-b155-8cb7d9458a81.jpg

Edited by lee_rimar
I keep this imagery on my PN-40 and I can see the cache icon (in the middle here) in relation to the surroundings.
Thanks -- I could see enough in that one to identify the location and read the cache name (Suds Says...). Here's what it looks like on an iPhone running the Groundspeak app, which can download and save both Google and Bing imagery for caches. Actually, the images look a bit better on the phone than online here ...

Thanks, as a coincidence I'm going to meet some friends exactly there for lunch this week, it's a sandwhich shop.

Now, I won't have to bring my PN-40! :)

...I'm going to meet some friends exactly there for lunch this week, it's a sandwhich shop. Now, I won't have to bring my PN-40! :D
Oh, you should! It'd be an opportunity for you to catch a screen shot from the PN-40 showing the tip of the arrow on your parking spot. Actually, I would like to see the exact same location as a PN-40 screen shot, rather than the computer screen shot you gave. That'd be a more direct comparison to the iPhone and Garmin screen shots. How close/sharp can you get when you cut the aerial imagery from DeLorme onto the PN-40?

The "unfortunate" thing about the iPhone 4 is that the screen is actually 640*960 pixels rather than 320*480. So to post my screen shots here, I had to scale them to 50% and save them as JPG -- you really don't get to see the quality here :)

Edited by lee_rimar

I decided that the Pn-60 was for me. I was going to go with the PN-40, but found a PN-60 for only $279 at J & R electronics - what a great price. I'll post a review when I've used it for a month.

Thanks everybody

I have had a PN-60w since the middle of July and absolutely love it. I have the wireless model that allows connecting a satellite based communication device which can send msgs one way when you are out of cell tower range.

I think you will appreciate the level of detail in the included mapping software and flexibility of the device in customizing it for your preferences.

I see you're in Maine - so is Delorme - Yarmouth.

It's not caches you have to worry about taking up room, it's maps, especially if you want to load a bunch of the nice hi-res stuff. Most PN users find that a 16gb SD card gives a decent amount of space without breaking the bank.

I may have missed it - does the pn-60 come with a preloaded basemap?