Cointest

AlliedOz

Here's Part 2 of my 7th entry:

Q: Where did the term "pieces of eight" come from?

A: Pieces of eight are historical Spanish dollar coins minted in the Americas from the late 15th century through the 19th century. Made of silver, they were in nearly worldwide circulation by the late 19th century and were legal currency in the United States until 1857. The Spanish dollar coin was worth eight reales and could be physically cut into eight pieces, or "bits," to make change — hence the colloquial name "pieces of eight." The dollar coin could also be cut into quarters, and "two bits" became American slang for a quarter dollar, or 25 cents. The American dollar used today was based on the Spanish dollar.

Pieces of eight have long been associated with pirates, because they were a common target for the outlaws, as large amounts were regularly shipped from the American colonies to Spain. In addition, Spanish traders carried pieces of eight to Manila in the Philippines, once or twice a year to trade for Chinese goods. Many pirates became rich intercepting ships carrying pieces of eight. The buried pirate treasure of legend is often said to include the coin.

Pieces of eight were popular in America's British colonies because British currency was limited. After the United States gained independence, pieces of eight remained a widely used currency. Though the United States began minting its own coins in 1792, the better-quality Spanish dollar remained the most popular currency in the country until Congress ended its use in 1857.

Here's Part 2 of my 7th entry:

Q: Where did the term "pieces of eight" come from?

A: Pieces of eight are historical Spanish dollar coins minted in the Americas from the late 15th century through the 19th century. Made of silver, they were in nearly worldwide circulation by the late 19th century and were legal currency in the United States until 1857. The Spanish dollar coin was worth eight reales and could be physically cut into eight pieces, or "bits," to make change — hence the colloquial name "pieces of eight." The dollar coin could also be cut into quarters, and "two bits" became American slang for a quarter dollar, or 25 cents. The American dollar used today was based on the Spanish dollar.

Pieces of eight have long been associated with pirates, because they were a common target for the outlaws, as large amounts were regularly shipped from the American colonies to Spain. In addition, Spanish traders carried pieces of eight to Manila in the Philippines, once or twice a year to trade for Chinese goods. Many pirates became rich intercepting ships carrying pieces of eight. The buried pirate treasure of legend is often said to include the coin.

Pieces of eight were popular in America's British colonies because British currency was limited. After the United States gained independence, pieces of eight remained a widely used currency. Though the United States began minting its own coins in 1792, the better-quality Spanish dollar remained the most popular currency in the country until Congress ended its use in 1857.

:anicute: and the word Dollar comes from the word Taller or else Daller...... in Greece the bigest coin in silver was the 5 drachma coin, and we used to call it Taliro (comes from taller too!) :)

An other fact....so an other question was sent! :anicute:

The first case of the common cold was diagnosed in 1611 in Stratford, England. The patient? John Common, who coincidentally gave his cold to William Shakespeare who said the new malady exacerbated his lovesickness, thereby inspiring several of his most fondly remembered sonnets.

Q: What is the term for an emergency worker (usually a police officer) whose debility or death at an emergency scene alerts subsequent arrivals to the presence of hazardous materials? (This term is used by those with hazmat training to refer to those who lack the same training.)

Hint: A Mississippi geocacher goes by this name, & he has a distinctive personal geocoin based on it.

A: OYHR PNANEL

Just send a new question and time for a new strange fact! :D

During the chariot scene in "Ben Hur," a small red car can be seen

in the distance (and Heston's wearing a watch)!!!!!!

Sorry GATOULIS (your entry is still valid of course) But...

From IMDB.com and several other sources

Incorrectly regarded as goofs: One of the chariot heralds has been reported to be wearing a watch, but closer inspection indicates this to be an unfortunately positioned shadow.

And despite frame by frame there is no car, this was thought to be true for years and up on a big screen it might look like it, but with HD/DVD and the rest we have access to, each frame has been studied and no one seems to be able to find a car :) The lack of any picture on the net also leads us to conclude that one to be a urban myth

Edited to add that there was no "stunt man Death" left in the film for all to see either :D

Edited by AlliedOz

Just send a new question and time for a new strange fact! :D

During the chariot scene in "Ben Hur," a small red car can be seen

in the distance (and Heston's wearing a watch)!!!!!!

Sorry GATOULIS (your entry is still valid of course) But...

From IMDB.com and several other sources

Incorrectly regarded as goofs: One of the chariot heralds has been reported to be wearing a watch, but closer inspection indicates this to be an unfortunately positioned shadow.

And despite frame by frame there is no car, this was thought to be true for years and up on a big screen it might look like it, but with HD/DVD and the rest we have access to, each frame has been studied and no one seems to be able to find a car :) The lack of any picture on the net also leads us to conclude that one to be a urban myth

Edited to add that there was no "stunt man Death" left in the film for all to see either :D

Oh! thank you for that! Ben Hur is one of my favorite movies! When I saw that in the net I was socked!!! Ok, there were movies that accidently some newer things are shown, like a movie that showed the medieval times but there were was an electric cable and a on off button on the wall etc, but especially the thing with the watch.... I was wondering ....nobody realized it when they were filming? The production of this epic movie was huge! they could even do a reperation there if there was a watch! This was done in the past in other things and photos so..

Edited by GATOULIS

Okay, here's one for the (real) numismatists among us:

Q: What United States coin has brought the highest price at an auction?

Hint: It's not silver and of the 13 in known existence, 10 are locked away in Fort Knox, 2 are in the Smithsonian, and 1 is in a private collection.

A: FNVAG-TNHQRAF QBHOYR RNTYR 1933

Are you a collector?? :D If yes.. do you collect only coins or banknotes too? :D maybe we can exchange double banknotes... (I do not have many double coins) :)

Sorry to disappoint you, Gatoulis..I'm not a collector of the real stuff, just geocoins....but I do have the rest of the story behind my last question:

In an attempt to end the 1930s general bank crisis, U.S. president Franklin D. Roosevelt issued Executive Order 6102 in 1933 and the Gold Reserve Act in 1934, which outlawed the circulation and private possession of United States gold coins for general circulation, with an exemption for collector coins. This act declared that gold coins were no longer legal tender in the United States, and people had to turn in their gold coins for other forms of currency. The 1933 gold Double Eagles were struck after this executive order, but because they were no longer legal tender, most of the 1933 gold coins were melted down in late 1934 and some were destroyed in tests. Two of the $20 Double Eagles were presented by the United States Mint to the U.S. National Numismatic Collection, and they were recently on display in the "Money and Medals Hall" on the third floor of the National Museum of American History.

These two coins should have been the only 1933 Double Eagle coins in existence. However, unbeknownst to the Mint, a number of the coins (20 have been recovered so far) were stolen, possibly by the U.S. Mint Cashier, George McCann. At least nine of these coins, which were illegal to possess, found their way via Philadelphia jeweler Israel Switt, into the hands of collectors.

The coins circulated amongst collectors for several years before the Secret Service became aware of their existence. The matter came to the attention of Mint officials when an investigative reporter looked into the history of the coins and contacted the Mint as part of his research, as a result of which an official investigation was begun by the Secret Service in 1944. Seven of the coins were discovered and turned over to federal agents (or seized) within the first year of the investigation, with one coin remaining in public possession until 1952. These coins were melted down.

One of the missing Double Eagles was acquired by King Farouk of Egypt, who was a voracious collector of many things, including Imperial Fabergé eggs, antique aspirin bottles, paperweights, postage stamps - and coins. In 1944 Farouk purchased a 1933 Double Eagle, and in strict adherence with the law, his ministers applied to the United States Treasury Department for an export license for the coin. Mistakenly, just days before the Mint theft was discovered, the license was granted. The Treasury Department attempted to work through diplomatic channels to request the return of the coin from Egypt, but World War II delayed their efforts for several years. In 1952 King Farouk was deposed in a coup d'etat, and many of his possessions were made available for public auction (run by Sotheby's) – including the Double Eagle coin. The United States Government requested the return of the coin, and the Egyptian government stated that it would comply with the request. However, at that time the coin disappeared and was not seen again in Egypt.

A Double Eagle surfaced again after over forty years of obscurity, when Stephen Fenton was arrested by US Secret Service agents during a sting operation at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York, and the British coin dealer was questioned. Although he initially told investigators he bought the coin over the counter at his shop, he later changed his story. Under sworn testimony, he insisted the Double Eagle had come from the collection of King Farouk, though this could not be ascertained. Charges against Fenton were subsequently dropped, and he defended his ownership of the coin in court. The case was settled in 2001 when it was agreed that ownership of the Double Eagle would revert to the United States Government, and the coin could then legally be sold at auction. The United States Treasury issued a document to "issue and monetize" the coin, thereby making it a legal-tender gold coin in the United States.

On July 30, 2002, the 1933 Double Eagle was sold to an anonymous bidder at a Sotheby's auction held in New York for $6.6 million, plus a 15-percent buyer's premium, and an additional $20 needed to “monetize” the face value of the coin so it would become legal currency, bringing the final sale price to $7,590,020.00, almost twice the previous record for a coin. Half the bid price was to be delivered to the United States Treasury, plus the $20 to monetize the coin, while Stephen Fenton was entitled to the other half. The auction took less than nine minutes.

In August 2005, the U.S. Secret Service announced the recovery of ten additional stolen 1933 Double Eagle gold coins from the family of Philadelphia jeweler Israel Switt, the illicit coin dealer identified by the Secret Service as a party to the theft who admitted selling the first nine double eagles recovered a half century earlier. In September 2004, the coins' ostensible owner, Joan S. Langbord, voluntarily surrendered the 10 coins to the United States Secret Service. In July 2005, the coins were authenticated by the United States Mint, working with the Smithsonian Institution, as being genuine 1933 Double Eagles. Currently, the coins are held at Fort Knox under lock and key.

Another Part II:

Humans do not begin to taste food until their saliva has begun to break it down.

As for what coins I like ... Kinda hard to choose ... I like the turtles, the tree, and the silver with the green gems the best. However, any coins would be welcomed if I were lucky enough to get one. :D

an other entry, an other fact! :D

According to documentaries I have seen in TV and a VCD I have, the picture of the Soviet soldiers who are raising the Soviet's Union flag in Berlin is... only a kind of Propaganda, it was taken after Berlin fell in their hands and... they had to fix something before they publish it!

Berlin fell at night and the photo is taken during the day! If I remember well, there are evidence that this with the flag happent, but they had to do it again for propaganda reasons! So, when Berlin fell, they recreated the scene and took the photo...

But they had to fix something because the soldier who is holding the flag shows that he is wearing more than 1 watches! He was taking the watches from the dead bodies of German soldiers!!! This is a serious crime and during war the penalty is death! So.. how their hero had done this?? :P

they had to fix the photo so the propaganda wouldn't turn against them (that they were stealling from the dead) and the Hero will not be punished!

I think but I am not sure, the thing with the photo and the soldiers was done again when the USA marines raised the USA flag in Iwo Jima and the soldiers of the first time were different from the ones in the second...

during a war many things are not as they seen, many things that we learn are not true....

just send a probably difficult question (an other one...) but here is a fact 10000% true and amazing!

One of the most famous photos of WWII shows an american soldier! The photo was taken by Yugin Smith a famous photographer! Sorry if I wrote incorrectly the name!

This soldier bacame a symbol of America back then, and magazines used this photo in their front page!

Here is the photo in the Life magazine!

klonis1.jpg

I think a photo with him was even used in a post stamp!!! (if that is true.. I have to find this one!!)

according to my search, this photo of Klonis taken again by Smith, bacame a stamp

smith_canteen.jpg

Both photos were taken in Saipan islands in Pacific! YES! He fought there too!!!!

He became the symbol of the newer Americans and he was a great hero!

He took lots of medals, he fought in many many places like Tunisia, Ardennes, Italy, Berlin, he was there in D-Day as a soldier of the Big Red One, who fought in Omaha Beach! after the was he took a thanks letter with the signature (handwriten) from Precident Truman with a warm thank you for his servise!!!!

What is so amazing in him??? He was not American but he was from Greece, from Kefalonia island! nobody knew who he was until 1991, when his son (I think) saw his father on a magazine!!! The name of this hero was Evangellos Klonis! I found out about him while I was searching to find something to post in this cointest! I deeply thank you for that! I didn't know about him and I am so glad that now I have his story! There are not many things to know about what he did in the war but there were probably a lot! the medal he took are so many, and there are other evidence... anyway, if I translate his story to you you will be amazed!!!

He is not with us anymore, but his 3 sons are in USA! Klonis did in 1989!

He joined the USA Army because he was in the states and working illegaly and there was a law that if you were joining the army you were getting the American nationality

A big Salute to Evangelos Klonis, a great man who inspired so many people with just a photo!

I forgot to say that he was living (and I think his sons are there too), in Santa Fe of New Mexico!

Edited by GATOULIS

I forgot to mention that both photos were taken in Saipan island in Pacific! Yes, he was there fighting too!

Most probably he was a kind of Comando... special forces..

According to other,s Klonis could use any weapon and he could drive any vehicle including a tank! He was taking secret missions that were extremelly dangerous!!

Hmm.. a real Rambo from Greece?? :D

edit to say.... yes! there is a stamp!!! :D It was printed in 2002 in the series of the Great American photographers! It is a 37 cent stamp, and it is to honor the Eugene Smith (that's the correct name of the photographer! :D ) WOW!!! I am wondering if this stamp was given alone or you had to take the whole leaf with the diffrent stamps! And... is it still in use? :P

Edited by GATOULIS

one of the most famous coffe in greece is Frappe!

Frappé dates back to the 1957 International Trade Fair in Thessaloniki. The representative of the Nestlé company, Yannis Dritsas, was exhibiting a new product for children, a chocolate beverage produced instantly by mixing it with milk and shaking it in a shaker. Dritsas' employee Dimitris Vakondios was looking for a way to have his usual instant coffee during his break but he could not find any hot water, so he mixed the coffee with cold water and a shaker.

This improvised experiment established this popular Greek beverage. Frappé has been marketed chiefly by Nestlé and is among the most popular drinks in Greece. More recently, Kraft, under the Jacobs label, have launched their own brand of frappé. Frappé has been called the national coffee of Greece, and is available at virtually all cafés. Frappé is often served with a glass of water.

you have to say to the waiter how you wnat it! Sweet, bitter, middle, with milk, without...

if you haven't tasted it ... you lose! It is an excellent choise for summer! :P

Here is a photo to see it....

greekfrappe.jpg

Where and what is the name of the worlds first Geocache

Thanks for joining in jindi kid.. unfortunately to have a valid entry for this cointest you do have to send a geocaching related question to the e-mail provided in post #1. you can send the same question if you like, just be sure to follow the multi answer format.

Cheers :)

Fact:

Yesterday a guinnes record was broken here in Rhodes! My island will be writen in the book of records! :wub:

They made the biggest "mellekouni" in the world! It was 30 meters long!!!

next year they might go to 50 meters!

What is melekouni.... it is a traditional sweet from byzantine times! It is a concoction of honey ans sesame but not like the ones you will find, but much softer! They give it to weddings here in Rhodes! It is so the couple will have a sweet, rich and easy life! :)

How did Ice Cream Sodas Come to be?

The ice cream soda was invented by Robert M. Green in Philadelphia, PA, in 1874.

The traditional story is that, on a particularly hot day, Mr. Green ran out of ice for the flavored sodas he was selling and used vanilla ice cream from a neighboring vendor to keep his sodas cold.

After some experimenting, he decided to combine ice cream and soda water. During the celebration, he sold vanilla ice cream with soda water and a choice of 16 different flavored syrups. The new treat was a sensation, and soon other soda fountains began selling ice cream sodas. Green's will instructed that "Originator of the Ice Cream Soda" was to be engraved on his tombstone.

There are at least three other claimants for the invention of ice cream soda: Fred Sanders, Philip Mohr, and George Guy, one of Robert Green's own employees.

THE WORLDS TALLEST CARVED INDIAN.

Skowhegan's big brave is easily the World's Tallest Indian, though he is too skinny to be the World's Largest Indian .

He stands on a 20 ft. base and is 62 ft. tall. He appears to be carved out of raw pine trees, with legs like telephone poles. The World's Tallest Indian was erected in 1969 in observance of Maine's 150th anniversary, created by Bernard Langlais (1921-1977), a sculptor from Old Town who attended the local art school.

It is dedicated to Maine's Abnaki Indians, who are known to have helped the Pilgrims make it through a couple of bad winters. In their heyday, the Abnaki dressed even more comfortably than the statue's crate-like attire suggests. No tomahawk-waving Mohawk with a mohawk here -- this Abnaki gentlemen is content to clutch a fishing trap resembling too-skinny scaffolding.

The engraved wooden sign at the statue's base reads: "Dedicated to the Maine Indians, the first people to use these lands in peaceful ways."

There is also a Geocache There.

In Washington, DC the streets are a neatly laid out grid of letters and numbers. The city was designed by French-born architect, artist and civil engineer Pierre L'Enfant. Rumor has it, the reason there is no 'J' street, is because of a feud between L'Enfant and the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, John Jay.

True, or false?

False. The real reason is, in 18th Century English, the letters I and J were almost indistinguishable from each other, and still largely interchangeable. Having both an 'I' street, and a 'J' street would be confusing and redundant.

Well this one seems to have stalled a Little :) I'll bring the cointest to a close in about 3 days time, so if anyone would like to get in for the first time or increase their chances by adding more questions..now is your chance.

Question time Limits changed to Ohh ..Free for all..

I have enough really hard questions for my Quiz :( , :ph34r: so feel free to chuck some easy as pie ones in or some just plain wacky :D , I ask that you do try and keep them geocaching generic. Questions that are specific to an area or even a country are most likely never to be known by an Australian cacher and lessen the chances of being used. Tho of course all questions used in the quiz or not are a valid cointest entry.

Thanks for all those who have helped out so far. B)

I'll be sure to post all questions and answers once my event quiz has been run.

AlliedOz

The smallest gold coin in the world is from India and it is called, Fanam!

Its weight is about 0.33gr and it is very small!!! most of them are about 6-8 mm only! The weight the size and the gold conted vary but more or less these are the sizes!

there are also silver India coins similar tot the fanam in size weight etc! Chuckram of Travancore is one of them!

But.... there is a coin made of gold that it is even small than the fanam! It is from India of course and often they name it 1/10th or 1/4th of fanam! I think its name is Bele, and it is from the Vijayanagar empire! these tiny tiny coins can be lost even in your hand! Trust me... I know!!! :ph34r:

Its size is...about 2mm and its weight... 0.05gr maybe.. sorry but...

If you put one next to a faman, the small fanam looks huge!!! :(

why they made such a small coins in India? they have many normal sized gold coins and some huge sized coins! One a 1000 mohur coin weights about 12 kilos (11,935.8 gr) and its size is 20.3 cm!!!! WOW!!

According to numismaticians, historians archeologists etc, they made such a small coins for 2 reasons!

First... so even poor ones can have gold coin in their hands!

Second... because they are easily to swallow!!!!!! No kiding!!!

Back then, there were many thiefts, robbers, bandits that were attacking the merchants who were travelling! there were no banknotes so they had to carry many coins with them, mostly in silver or gold! They couldn;t hide the gold so the bandits were taking it! when these tiny gold coins were made, the merchants cound swallow them when they were seeing bandits coming from a distance, so they couldn't find anything!

Of course the problem was.... in what happens after that??? Well... you had to wait so they will come out... (!!!!) and them collect them (difficult!!!) and clean them (huh!!!!)

I just can not imagine my fanam probably had such an adventure!!!!! :D

Two anniversaries for October 1st:

- 1890 – At the urging of preservationist John Muir and writer Robert Underwood Johnson, the United States Congress established Yosemite National Park in California.

- 1891 – Stanford University, founded by railroad magnate and California Governor Leland Stanford and his wife Jane Stanford on their former farm lands in Palo Alto, California, officially opened with 559 students and free tuition.

source: Wikipedia