Cointest

AlliedOz

Trivia Cointest!

You supply the trivia !

One of the activities planned for my 10/10/10 event is a Geocaching quiz. So far I have cobbled together a few questions in the categories of General Geo, Coins, and Local Cachers.

But to really make sure I have a good selection of questions I would like to offer you the chance to contribute to my quiz..

Now you may be sitting there reading this thinking “What’s in it for me besides the fuzzy feeling of helping out a fellow coin collector and knowing it may well be your cleverly crafted question

that gets a team over the finish line giving them life long bragging rights and some prizes thrown in for good measure!”

Well it just so happens we thought of that… So up for grabs in this cointest is your choice of one gorgeous Tsun earth Turtle, should you already have that coin or turtles are just not your bag

you may select one of the other coins pictured. So choices abound.

091d7c31-9672-4cc5-ad13-79c239843c52.jpg

All coins are unactivated.

How do I get my name down for this draw you say?

It might seem like a lot, but read on and it will all become clear... as mud in a green bottle. <_<

All I need from you is a Geocaching related question, and 4 answers that it might possibly be, highlighting the correct answer and if needed a link to verify the answer. Such As…

AlliedOz

Q: One of the items below was not in the original stash bucket.

a: A can of beans

b: A Unicorn

c: Delorme Topo USA software

d: Slingshot

So not that hard at all :D:P

Now it would not be very fair to people who participate at the event quiz if everyone just posted their question with the four choices and the highlighted answer in this thread,

particularly if one or more of the teams attending the Perth event was to come across this gold mine of answers. :anibad:

So please e-mail your questions in the above format to this address triviacointest@gmail.com .

Be sure to include your team name in the body of the message so it can be matched with the

second part below.

-=-=Boring Alert=-=-

Of course who wants to read a thread with a whole lot of “e-mail sent” posts… so part two of entering is to post an interesting trivia fact in this thread, it does not have to be Geo related..

Just something you read or know that has made you go "wow", this will complete your part in the cointest making it a valid entry (an e-mail + thread post)

Some things you need to know

* Only one entry every 24 hours, so make them good. (may change depending on the response)

* The winner will be drawn by a Random number generator.

* You may use an image in your question as the quiz is on a projector, but no sound bytes.

* The Cointest will run as long as it takes and not much longer .

* I’ll post all questions after the event so we can enjoy them.

* I have the right to add or remove rules as we go along (No doubt I have missed heaps of things)

* The winner must post a picture of yourself and your prize once received, so we can call for the tread to be closed.

Good luck all!

Email with GC trivia ? sent, so here goes part 2:

Q: In the final episode of the TV series MacGyver, Richard Dean Anderson's character reluctantly revealed his enigmatic first name. What was it?

A (ROT 13): NATHF

Thanks for the cointest--those are some GREAT prizes! When it's over, it will be fun to see the questions everyone submitted.

Thanks for the entries so far, spot on!

Please remember to include your GeoNick when sending the e-mail as "John.Smith@gmail.com" is very hard to match up with a post over here :D

At the moment I have one more e-mail than thread post and it is easy enough to match up for now. But once I have 20 more e-mails in my IN box it will become impossible :)

Q. "The dingo's got my baby" refers to whose disappearance?

A. NMNEVA PUNZOREYNVA

What made me think of that :D ?

ILYK

Hey drneal

I'm from Alice Springs where the trial was held and I remember riding my bike down to the court house to check out what the fuss was about. So many years ago!

Thanks for the entries so far, spot on!

Please remember to include your GeoNick when sending the e-mail as "John.Smith@gmail.com" is very hard to match up with a post over here :D

At the moment I have one more e-mail than thread post and it is easy enough to match up for now. But once I have 20 more e-mails in my IN box it will become impossible :)

Q. "The dingo's got my baby" refers to whose disappearance?

A. NMNEVA PUNZOREYNVA

What made me think of that :D ?

ILYK

Hey drneal

I'm from Alice Springs where the trial was held and I remember riding my bike down to the court house to check out what the fuss was about. So many years ago!

what a sad event.

ILYK

Sent email with trivia question heres part II:

Q - What causes stomach growls?

A - fgbznpu tebjyf ner ernyyl whfg vagreany snegf.

Onfvpnyyl, gur vaibyhagnel zhfpyr zbirzragf gung chfu sbbq guebhtu lbhe qvtrfgvir genpg xrrc jbexvat rira nsgre zbfg bs gung sbbq unf zbirq ba qbja gur yvar. Riraghnyyl, tnf ohooyrf ner nyy gung'f yrsg gb or fdhrrmrq, naq lbh trg n ehzoyvat fbhaq nf gurl cbc.

I hope this is Wow enough. ;)

Edited by ZeMartelo

Thanks for the Trivia guys and gals it has been great both ends. Very interesting indeed.

Some of the Geocaching stuff is very hard :D I would never have known 70% of the questions :laughing:

Now If your sitting back thinking Hmmm I don't know anything trivial about geocaching there is plenty of room for questions like my example below.

Grab something you know about Geocaching and make up that question :laughing:

Q: One of the items below was not in the original stash bucket.

a: A can of beans

b: A Unicorn

c: Delorme Topo USA software

d: Slingshot

*RULE CHANGE** You can post every 8 Hours ! so get cracking for more chances to win

BTW I'm not checking times, close enough is good enough

Oh I keep forgetting here is a quick and easy ROT13 page in case you needed one to see what they removed from Mr Potato Head.. seeing it seems to be the code of choice ;)

Edited by AlliedOz

Nice!! :laughing:

so after my third email.... time for an other one in Part II

Q: The Guns Of Navarone movie.... had many scenes on a greek island, but the story was inspired from an other greek island (strange!) which islands are they??

A: the Canons of Navarone had many scenes (if not all the movie!) in Rhodes island in Greece! the island became very famous with this movie!

But... rhodes never had such a big canons etc!

Of course the scenario was inspired by an other greek island that belong to Dodecanes too, like Rhodes! Which island??? Well.. Leros!!! It was the bigest Italian base in Aegean and it was the bigest navy base too! It had some big canons and except the protection of the island, they could control the passage from dodecanese to some of the cyclades island and probably it was a "thorn" in the way to Egypt which was under British at that time! I can really make a huge post here to tell you the story but...

anyway... In the fild amost all the names you can hear of villages etc are very close or the same with the ones Rhodes has, (for example... there is a village in the movie wit the name Mandrakos..... it is the Mandriko village!), but Rhodes is not mentioned anywere!!! The name of the island in the movie is... Keros!!!! sounds familiar?? (Keros - Leros) :)

Edited by GATOULIS

Another question posted -I love the trivia on this page - any chance of you publishing ALL the questions afterwards?

OK - trivia fact - the first X-ray machine in the southern Africa was at a place called Kolmanskop - now a deserted ghost town that is a stunning tourist spot in Namibia with a few caches there too :)

Google it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolmanskop

Here's an interesting bit of trivia to complete today's entry--I won't encrypt the answer, since it's too long:

Q: Where was the first movie house located?

A: The world's first movie theater (that is, the first business devoted specifically to showing films for profit) was "Vitascope Hall", established on Canal Street in New Orleans in 1896.

It opened July 26, 1896, at what is now 623 Canal St. on the corner of Exchange Place. It was a vacant building converted into a theater, with chairs added. Folks paid a dime to see short subjects such as The Corbett-Courtney Fight and Niagara Falls.

The first movie in New Orleans was shown on June 28, 1896, at the West End Resort. Technology was pretty primitive back then, but folks certainly were impressed when Allen Blakemore, an electrical engineer for one of the railroads, set up a Vitascope and showed a short flickering film on a large canvas screen in front of the bandstand. The crowd went wild, and the reviews in the newspaper were full of praise.

A month later the Vitascope moved into its own hall on Canal Street. Black canvas covered the windows, and folks — about 400 of them — sat on folding chairs or benches. The shows began at 10 a.m. and played continuously until 3 p.m. After a three-hour break, the shows began again and lasted until 10 p.m. The program consisted of five short films, each lasting only a few minutes. Most of the films were changed daily.

Vitascope Hall was officially called William "Pop" Rock's Vitascope Hall. In addition to the dime patrons paid to get in, Rock charged another dime to watch the man in the projection booth operate the amazing machine. For an additional dime, you could get a souvenir: a piece of used celluloid film.

Q: Which science fiction writer was the inventor of the waterbed?

A. Isaac Asimov

B. Robert Heinlein

C. Jules Verne

D. Arthur C. Clarke

The answer is B. Robert A. Heinlein. During a long hospitalization, he had the idea for the waterbed in order to help the patients be more comfortable. In the 1960's, someone tried to patent the idea for the waterbed but, due to several previously published books of Heinleins that described in detail the waterbed, the patent was denied. Heinlein himself refused to patent it so that it would be available for everyone that needed it.

In World War 2 - the allied forces were afraid of a Japanese submarine base being opened close to the strategic Cape of Good Hope by this sympathetic Vichy French country. So they started OPERATION IRONCLAD and invaded Madagascar.

Julian: Welcome to Madagascar.

Marty the Zebra: Mada-who-ah?

Julian: No. Not who-ah. As-car.

:P

In World War 2 - the allied forces were afraid of a Japanese submarine base being opened close to the strategic Cape of Good Hope by this sympathetic Vichy French country. So they started OPERATION IRONCLAD and invaded Madagascar.

Julian: Welcome to Madagascar.

Marty the Zebra: Mada-who-ah?

Julian: No. Not who-ah. As-car.

:P

Yep - thought about adding a quip about King Julian's nose being out of joint. But perhaps it was the Ninja Penguins that the allies were really worried about - not Ninja submarines? :angry:

No doubt here--if I won, I'd pick one of Tsun's Earth Turtles! Usually the only way for someone like me, who recently started collecting coins, to get the older ones, is to buy them in auctions....needless to say, the bids go way up in the case of a coin like this. I was lucky to snag one of the 2008 Earth Turtles, but to get one of the earlier versions would be awesome! Now, back to work on a 6th entry for this evening...... :anicute:

Oh! so the cointest is over or I can send an other question? :(

Oh! the most difficult is to choose a coin if I was the winner!

From all these, I only have the 2 trojan horses and a naylamp Sepp&Berta-Special-Edition coin! So...

I love the earth turtle oceania! I have the 2008 and the 2007 (I think), I always wanted a Yemon Yime, and I also love the green Celtic tree and the red one, and 2 of the Tengwars, the Tyrquoise (I think this is the one in the photo), and the one that is gold and silver.... the last one.. So... it is way too difficult! :D Well.. if I will be the winner.. we will see..... I will definatelly need some time to choose.. :anicute:

good luck to all and thank you for the cointest! So... will the questions in the even be difficult? :)

As I do not own a Tsun Earth Turtle coin nor having ever come across one in the wild or in another's collection, I would be extreamly happy to get any one of them. For that matter, any of the coins shown would be a nice addition to my (IMHO) meager collection. (my wife, on the other hand, thinks I have too many).

Still running GATOULIS I'll say when you can stop :( hehe

More Trivia please! I want a heap to be able to pick and choose what questions will make it into the quiz.

So far they are all very tough :D

Keep them coming

:anicute::) Excellent!!! B) I will send you an other one right away! :D

I like educational cointests! And here both parts are like that! :D

here is an other fact for you.... as you understood... an other question has been sent! :)

The kings in the playing cards..... used to be real, famous and great kings of the past!!!

* King of Spades: David (a biblical king)

* King of Hearts: Charles (presumably after Charlemagne)

* King of Diamonds: Caesar (presumably after Julius Caesar, dictator of the Roman Republic)

* King of Clubs: Alexander (king of Macedon)

WOW!!! Alexander the great was king of Clubs??? Was he a DJ too??? :anicute:

Q: What is the primary reason your GPSr will not show 0.000 latitude (and will show you about 100m away from 0) at the Prime Meridian at the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, UK?

1: Continental Drift

2: They couldn't get the WGS84 computer maps any closer

3: Interference at that location disrupts the signals

4: The US was upset with the UK so wouldn't accept their location of the Prime Meridian

http://www.flamsteed.info/faswgs84.htm

I like the turtle furthest to the right in the photo