Oregon 450 - Odometer Reset

MtnHermit

Here's an oddity I just noticed. I keep my unit (an Oregon 550t I've had for just about a year) on the Geocaching profile (just the way I prefer to use the unit). After setting up the profile just the way I like it soon after I bought the 550t, I don't think I've ever switched to any other profile. I change settings, but never by switching profiles.

Anyway, inspired by this thread, I decided to check out what my odometer reading was after all these months and miles. Since the odometer doesn't display in the Geocaching profile, I switched to the Automotive profile. Lo and behold, my odometer reading is 000000.0 miles. Makes it look as if I've been armchair caching all this time. <_<

I've never needed to perform any of the reset procedures, and I've never done the "Restore Defaults to Factory Settings" thing, either. Is this normal, I wonder? Does the unit keep track of total mileage only when using the Automotive profile?

--Larry

i opened the trip computer on my geocaching profile and set one data field to the odometer. it showed 6204 km. i switched to the automotive profile, opened the trip computer again and set one data field to the odometer. 6204 km again. then i went to the compass screen and switched it over to the automotive dashboard. there was an odometer display integrated, but it was the trip odometer (showing 200 something km), not the main odometer. i switched back to the geocaching profile, opened the trip computer, set that one data field back to the trip odometer and it showed the same figure.

does that shed any light on what you're seeing?

Edited by dfx
i opened the trip computer on my geocaching profile and set one data field to the odometer. it showed 6204 km. i switched to the automotive profile, opened the trip computer again and set one data field to the odometer. 6204 km again. then i went to the compass screen and switched it over to the automotive dashboard. there was an odometer display integrated, but it was the trip odometer (showing 200 something km), not the main odometer. i switched back to the geocaching profile, opened the trip computer, set that one data field back to the trip odometer and it showed the same figure.

does that shed any light on what you're seeing?

Thanks, dfx, that does clear things up. It appears that the "odometer" reading in the Automotive dashboard is actually the trip odometer (and I had reset the trip odometer just before checking the odometer reading, which explains the zero miles thing).

When I change one of the data fields to "Odometer", it now shows 13,096 miles. Not all of that is from geocaching, but a lot of it is. <_<

--Larry

I had the same question and, thanks to other entries in the forum, I found the solution. Under the set up menu is a "reset". By using this, the trip odometer is reset to "0". Thanks to those who discovered this before I did and wrote the solution on this forum page.