The end of Gecacheing as we know it.

Scooter Rider

I am shocked shocked I tell you at all the black and green camo tape being used. Instead of the green and black.

And all of these caches that expect you to walk in the woods :D

When there all of throes perfectly good lamp posts.

Just begging for a haft closed zip lock bag with a log in it.

To be put under there skirts in parking lots all over the place.

I am telling you this hobby is going straight to H in a hand basket. :):blink::D:D

Ok who's with me on this :D

Edited by Scooter Rider

I am shocked shocked I tell you at all the black and green camo tape being used. Instead of the green and black.

I am telling you this hobby is going straight to H in a hand basket. :):blink::D:D

Not sure about Ohio and your 23 finds... but here in North Texas there are a great diverse amount of all types of hides. Sure some are better than others but all in all I think there are a good number of all types of hides. All you have to do is pick and choose the ones you want to find. If you don't like LPC's dont look for them.

Would have to say I dont agree.

Edited by sdrawkcab

I am telling you this hobby is going straight to H in a hand basket. :):blink::D:laughing:

You ride a scooter... No need to walk. Just scoot along the path to the cache.

:D

I am telling you this hobby is going straight to H in a hand basket. :):blink::D:laughing:

You ride a scooter... No need to walk. Just scoot along the path to the cache.

:laughing:

But What is your opinion on his topic??? :D

But What is your opinion on his topic??? :blink:

My opinion?

Really?

LPC's should be BANNED!

Just glad we don't have them in the UK. :)

Not a fan of caches in built up areas.

Give me decent sized caches out of town.

LPC's are ok if used correctly. They make great finals for a good puzzle. But just to place one because the lamp pole is there I agree is goofy.

But What is your opinion on his topic??? :blink:

My opinion?

Really?

LPC's should be BANNED!

Just glad we don't have them in the UK. :)

LPC's are ok if used correctly. They make great finals for a good puzzle. But just to place one because the lamp pole is there I agree is goofy.

What could be more anticlimactic than finding the end of a great puzzle cache under the skirt on a lamp post? End it someplace interesting. Preferably somehow related to the puzzle.

But What is your opinion on his topic??? :)

My opinion?

Really?

LPC's should be BANNED!

Just glad we don't have them in the UK. :D

What could be more anticlimactic than finding the end of a great puzzle cache under the skirt on a lamp post? End it someplace interesting. Preferably somehow related to the puzzle.

Ok point taken. I'm just so stupid if I can solve the puzzle I become :blink: over joyed.

I am telling you this hobby is going straight to H in a hand basket. :):blink::laughing::laughing:

Not sure about Ohio and your 23 finds... but here in North Texas there are a great diverse amount of all types of hides. Sure some are better than others but all in all I think there are a good number of all types of hides. All you have to do is pick and choose the ones you want to find. If you don't like LPC's dont look for them.

Would have to say I dont agree.

Yes but I waited till I had 31 post in stead of one before I went on the whining warpath :D:D

LPC's should be BANNED!

Just glad we don't have them in the UK. :D

that shall be fixed soon, i'd hate for you to miss out so i booked my flight into UK :blink:

I blame the smart phones. Really.

What kind of log is "sent from my mobile device."

I'm entitled to more than that.

"sent from the lamppost"

better? :)

Yep, it's the end of the world as we know it.

That tree in the woods that you used to climb on in your childhood just fell down.

The house you grew up in was just razed to build a shopping mall.

Someone's daughter just got a tattoo of Sylvester on her ???, and one of Tweety Bird on one of her ???s.

Many miles away

There's a shadow on the door

Of a cottage on the shore

Of a dark Scottish lake

Many miles away, many miles away...

It's the end of the world, so don't blow it!

Once upon a time, the zen geocaching master was looking for a cache. The arrow on the GPS lead him up a steep path. The zen geocaching master became so engrossed in what he was doing that he walked past the cache. He accidentally kicked a rock while he was walking. But he when he didn't hear the rock fall back to the ground he looked up, just before he was about to step off a 100 meter high cliff. He stopped and admired the fantastic view. He could see for miles across the valley from up here. Then he heard a loud roar behind him. He turned to see an angry bear charging at him. The zen geocaching master looked around for a way to escape the bear. As he took a step, the ground beneath him gave way and he began to fall down the cliff. The zen master looked for any thing to grab to save himself. He reached out and grabbed a thorny branch that was growing form the side of the cliff. As he held on to the branch with the thorns digging into his fingers he looked up to see the bear at the top of the cliff looking down at him. Then he looked down and saw a tiger at the bottom of the cliff looking up at him licking its chops. The zen geocaching master looked for a way out. He saw a small hole in the cliff. As he tried to reach the small hole, while still hanging from the thorny branch, a tiny mouse came out of the hole. The mouse look at the zen geocaching master for awhile. Then the mouse scampered to the base of the thorny branch and began to gnaw at it. The zen geocaching master looked around for anything that could help. He spotted something shiny glimmering some distance away on a narrow ledge. What could it be? With all his strength he reached the ledge and there he found a tiny bison tube. It was the cache he had been looking for. The zen geocaching master smiled for it was a good day to be a geocacher.

The moral of the story is that geocaching (like life) has both good and bad. It is our attitude that that gets us through the bad times and helps us find the good in more places.

Once upon a time, the zen geocaching master was looking for a cache. The arrow on the GPS lead him up a steep path. The zen geocaching master became so engrossed in what he was doing that he walked past the cache. He accidentally kicked a rock while he was walking. But he when he didn't hear the rock fall back to the ground he looked up, just before he was about to step off a 100 meter high cliff. He stopped and admired the fantastic view. He could see for miles across the valley from up here. Then he heard a loud roar behind him. He turned to see an angry bear charging at him. The zen geocaching master looked around for a way to escape the bear. As he took a step, the ground beneath him gave way and he began to fall down the cliff. The zen master looked for any thing to grab to save himself. He reached out and grabbed a thorny branch that was growing form the side of the cliff. As he held on to the branch with the thorns digging into his fingers he looked up to see the bear at the top of the cliff looking down at him. Then he looked down and saw a tiger at the bottom of the cliff looking up at him licking its chops. The zen geocaching master looked for a way out. He saw a small hole in the cliff. As he tried to reach the small hole, while still hanging from the thorny branch, a tiny mouse came out of the hole. The mouse look at the zen geocaching master for awhile. Then the mouse scampered to the base of the thorny branch and began to gnaw at it. The zen geocaching master looked around for anything that could help. He spotted something shiny glimmering some distance away on a narrow ledge. What could it be? With all his strength he reached the ledge and there he found a tiny bison tube. It was the cache he had been looking for. The zen geocaching master smiled for it was a good day to be a geocacher.

The moral of the story is that geocaching (like life) has both good and bad. It is our attitude that that gets us through the bad times and helps us find the good in more places.

It was indeed a rough day.

Once the tiger was placated by my amazing animal magnetism, the hike out was relatively easy.

The tiger offered me a ride, but I declined.

I only started this hobby this year - I sometimes log them that way while caching, but ALWAYS edit them when I get home... I find an iPhone to be nice for impromptu caching, but don't want to compose a short novel on that little touch screen keyboard. I like to log them in the field because I cache alone a lot, and figure that if something horrific should happen (bear encounter/attack, poisonous snakes, fatal fall, etc?), at least someone will know how far I made it in that terrain before meeting Elvis <_<

I was reading a blog post somewhere on the web about Geocaching, and the author listed some of his pet peeves - One of them being folks signing the log with only TFTC - TNLNSL, His point was that whoever hid that cache invested some creative effort and thought, and went through a bit of trouble hiding it in a place that (hopefully) had some attractive quality. They should be rewarded with more than the equivelant of, "Thanks for helping me add another smiley to my profile." I think a few complimentary words make for good etiquette.

Another of his peeves (and one of mine as well) is someone putting a cache in a place where I have to wonder "Why is someone trying to direct my attention to THIS PLACE?" :anibad: Something of interest (even if only to the person hiding the cache) is better than some that I've seen (or heard about) that are out in near impossible or dangerous terrain (like the middle of a swamp), or in places like the side of some busy highway.

Thanks and be well!

JimiH

I only started this hobby this year - I sometimes log them that way while caching, but ALWAYS edit them when I get home... I find an iPhone to be nice for impromptu caching, but don't want to compose a short novel on that little touch screen keyboard. I like to log them in the field because I cache alone a lot, and figure that if something horrific should happen (bear encounter/attack, poisonous snakes, fatal fall, etc?), at least someone will know how far I made it in that terrain before meeting Elvis <_<

I was reading a blog post somewhere on the web about Geocaching, and the author listed some of his pet peeves - One of them being folks signing the log with only TFTC - TNLNSL, His point was that whoever hid that cache invested some creative effort and thought, and went through a bit of trouble hiding it in a place that (hopefully) had some attractive quality. They should be rewarded with more than the equivelant of, "Thanks for helping me add another smiley to my profile." I think a few complimentary words make for good etiquette.

Another of his peeves (and one of mine as well) is someone putting a cache in a place where I have to wonder "Why is someone trying to direct my attention to THIS PLACE?" :anibad: Something of interest (even if only to the person hiding the cache) is better than some that I've seen (or heard about) that are out in near impossible or dangerous terrain (like the middle of a swamp), or in places like the side of some busy highway.

Thanks and be well!

JimiH

Not every cache deserves more than a simple TFTC. If you want better logs hide a cache that inspires better logs. Even then you will get an occasional short log. Some people just aren't writers.

And I'd much rather a cache showed me the middle of a swamp than another walmart parking lot.

And I'd much rather a cache showed me the middle of a swamp than another walmart parking lot.

Do you know how ridiculous this sounds to some people. There are many people who are terrified of swamps. Or they simple don't was to getting wet and muddy while looking for a geocache. When I began geocaching I decided I was going to hide only caches that required a significant hike to get to. That's because these are the caches I like to find, and because even back in 2003 - long before cell phones and Geomate Jrs. - I saw that the urban hides didn't need my help. There were already plenty more of these being hidden than there were hiking caches.

I eventually learned to enjoy urban caches. Especially those where the hider did a little something special, perhaps some clever camouflage or by putting the cache in a interesting location. But I notice that there were many that seemed to be placed in parking lot or hanging in a tree on some residential street. I discovered that people liked to hide caches near their work or where they live or at the mall where they would shop every week. I accepted that if I search for urban hides I would find some that were hidden by people whose reason was that location close to where they live or work or that though it would be great to have another cache in the area. These might not be my favorite hides but I accept them as part of geocaching. There are many reasons that people enjoy geocaching and I find it easy to accept this fact, even if it means that some people hide caches than I am less than fond of. The existence of these caches is not the end of geocaching as we know it. Some of the people who hide these caches eventually start hiking because of geocaching, or searching for interesting locations to visit because of geocaching, or become skilled at hiding caches with clever camouflage. Others will get bored and leave the game - and the so called lame hides they leave behind will soon be archived. There has always been this view that new people are ruining the game. I prefer to view it as they are learning the game and hope they will continue to participate and perhaps their tastes will evolve and they will hide caches that are more to my liking.

Do you know how ridiculous this sounds to some people. There are many people who are terrified of swamps. Or they simple don't was to getting wet and muddy while looking for a geocache. When I began geocaching I decided I was going to hide only caches that required a significant hike to get to. That's because these are the caches I like to find, and because even back in 2003 - long before cell phones and Geomate Jrs. - I saw that the urban hides didn't need my help. There were already plenty more of these being hidden than there were hiking caches.

I eventually learned to enjoy urban caches. Especially those where the hider did a little something special, perhaps some clever camouflage or by putting the cache in a interesting location. But I notice that there were many that seemed to be placed in parking lot or hanging in a tree on some residential street. I discovered that people liked to hide caches near their work or where they live or at the mall where they would shop every week. I accepted that if I search for urban hides I would find some that were hidden by people whose reason was that location close to where they live or work or that though it would be great to have another cache in the area. These might not be my favorite hides but I accept them as part of geocaching. There are many reasons that people enjoy geocaching and I find it easy to accept this fact, even if it means that some people hide caches than I am less than fond of. The existence of these caches is not the end of geocaching as we know it. Some of the people who hide these caches eventually start hiking because of geocaching, or searching for interesting locations to visit because of geocaching, or become skilled at hiding caches with clever camouflage. Others will get bored and leave the game - and the so called lame hides they leave behind will soon be archived. There has always been this view that new people are ruining the game. I prefer to view it as they are learning the game and hope they will continue to participate and perhaps their tastes will evolve and they will hide caches that are more to my liking.

You can go on with your monotonous essays at any time and yet think it ridiculous that I state that I would rather find a cache in a swamp than another parking lot? We get it. You are the defender of the least common denominator. That doesn't make my preferences an less valid.

I found a flippin key box holder today that wasn't on a guardrail! MADNESS!!!

What the heck is a 'key box holder'?

Sounds nasty.

:anibad:

its a neat little thing and its got a magnet on it too!

they're sometimes called "hide-a-keys"

Why would anyone want to hide their keys? I have a hard enough time finding mine as it is.

You know, the various companies that manufacture those things absolutely have to know something is going on. Their sales for magnetic keyholders has absolutley skyrocketed since about 2005. Notice how I didn't say "since Geocaching was invented". :D Which also brings up a point I'd like to make to the OP. Yeah, yeah, pretty funny and all. But just imagine you started Geocaching when 100% of caches in your area were in the woods, and then the "parking lot game" came after you.

But back to the keyholders. I mean really. Who 15 years ago was running out to buy a keyholder to hide their keys? Maybe a person here or there once in every blue moon. <_<

You can go on with your monotonous essays at any time and yet think it ridiculous that I state that I would rather find a cache in a swamp than another parking lot? We get it. You are the defender of the least common denominator. That doesn't make my preferences an less valid.

Well you misunderstood. You are entitled to your preference and even to letting us know your preferences in the forum. But other people are entitled to their preferences. I always get a kick out of people how say they prefer caches in alligator infested swamps. It would seem obvious that most people are not going to like caches in alligator infested swamps and probably not in swamps in general. It should be obvious that most people are going to prefer urban hides. I prefer long hikes in the mountains. It's clear to me from the number of people who find my caches compare to the one down at the WalMart that more people prefer the WalMart hide. I would like to see a discussion of why people prefer caches in WalMart parking lots or hanging in a tree on a residential street to one in a local park or one at a interesting public sculpture or near an historic building. (I have a few theories). But debating swamps, mountains, and forests versus urban and roadside caches and it should be clear what is more popular and why.

Well you misunderstood. You are entitled to your preference and even to letting us know your preferences in the forum. But other people are entitled to their preferences. I always get a kick out of people how say they prefer caches in alligator infested swamps. It would seem obvious that most people are not going to like caches in alligator infested swamps and probably not in swamps in general. It should be obvious that most people are going to prefer urban hides. I prefer long hikes in the mountains. It's clear to me from the number of people who find my caches compare to the one down at the WalMart that more people prefer the WalMart hide. I would like to see a discussion of why people prefer caches in WalMart parking lots or hanging in a tree on a residential street to one in a local park or one at a interesting public sculpture or near an historic building. (I have a few theories). But debating swamps, mountains, and forests versus urban and roadside caches and it should be clear what is more popular and why.

What is more popular? (as defined by number of finds) The film canister in the Wal-Mart parking lot. Why is it more popular? The ease with which the find count is incremented by one. The same "score" as you get for being nipple deep in a swamp. Sounds pretty simple, but that's sure what it seems like to me. <_<

Say what you want pal, I'm not the one who said someones preference was ridiculous. I merely pointed out my preference as an example of the principle you so dadgum often claim to hold. That there are other ways and they aren't wrong. But if you want to be the hypocrite that's fine by me.

The fact of the matter is, getting a cache at Wal-mart is quick and easy. Going off into the great outdoors and wading through the swamp takes time and planning. Also, there are so many of these in town caches.

Unfortunately, people are busy lately, so it's easier to get their geocaching "fix" close to home.

When I started caching, there were only a few caches around, and they were all in nature, with great views/hikes, etc. Now, there are hundreds of caches in town/close to town. I couldn't imagine what it must be like to start caching now. I suppose that you punch in the zip code, and you are overwhelmed by all these caches on the nearest list. I'm sure that new cachers don't understand right away how to use the maps and search for different kinds of caches, they just start on the ones in town. It could take a while to get through those, or for them to decide if they want to start going out to do the ones in the wild (if they even want to, because of time or interest).

I even have found myself doing more of this. It's mainly because of my health, but I can see what other people must be going through. It's easier to grab a cache while you are going out to do an errand. But I really appreciate those rare caches in the great outdoors (just got a couple of those this weekend, for the first time in a long time and it felt so good).

But I still appreciate the caches in town, because they let me geocache. And they help me to see my town in different ways. Can't beat that. <_<

Edited by Ambrosia

I like the mix of in town/non-creative hides with hides in nature and on trails. I cache with someone who isn't able to do long hikes but still loves the hunt. These are great for her and if we can find the occasional not so intense or long hike great.

Even the nature caches can get generic in any area. There's plenty I skip for various reasons. I'm not interested in that trail system. I've seen the tops of plenty of those hills in my life time I don't really want to see another. I've seen enough middles of those swamps over the years.

Eventually I get bored with either in town or out in the sticks and switch it up. I enjoy having that option.

Say what you want pal, I'm not the one who said someones preference was ridiculous. I merely pointed out my preference as an example of the principle you so dadgum often claim to hold. That there are other ways and they aren't wrong. But if you want to be the hypocrite that's fine by me.

But I didn't say your preference was ridiculous. I asked if you knew that it would sound ridiculous to some people. Perhaps it is not obvious to you that most people avoid wading through swamps to look for geocaches or for anything else for that matter. I may have read too much into your post because you say that a cache that doesn't meet your standard doesn't deserve a long log. I agree that a cache hidden in a swamp is likely to get longer logs than one hidden in a lamp post. However I don't believe that this is because one deserves a longer log than another. If I arrived at a parking lot to find animal control corralling an alligator, you can be sure I would write about in the online log. On the other hand an uneventful outing in the swamp might leave me with less to say. The odds may be greater that a cache in the swamp is doing to give me more to talk about in my log than a lamp post hide, but all any cache deserves is a thank you to the cache owner. While there is a rule that says to share your experiences online, there is no way to enforce it (iPhone logging or not).

They make great finals for a good puzzle.

Sorry. This just made me cringe. Just because a cache requires that seekers utilize brain power to obtain the final coords is no reason to punish them by bringing them to a blistering, 500 acre, exhaust laden parking lot, bristling with soccer mom driven SUVs. A crappy location does not become less crappy simply because it is used in a puzzle. It still sucks. Heck, one could argue that it sucks even more than a traditional LPC, as with those, most folks can figure out that the location is crap. With a puzzle cache, folks won't know that until they solve it. Talk about a let down. Why not utilize a nice, scenic location as the final for a good puzzle?

from one of my caches: I appreciated the thought and work that went into this one, but you know, I can't figure out why it was a good idea to put it so far out. It would be just as effective closer in.

I suggested that they place one that people could find along the way. They agreed and stuck one in the parking lot.

I am telling you this hobby is going straight to H in a hand basket. :D:):D:D

I agree. I wish they would loosen the 528ft rule. So we could put pill bottles under every lampskirt in america.

They make great finals for a good puzzle.

Sorry. This just made me cringe. Just because a cache requires that seekers utilize brain power to obtain the final coords is no reason to punish them by bringing them to a blistering, 500 acre, exhaust laden parking lot, bristling with soccer mom driven SUVs. A crappy location does not become less crappy simply because it is used in a puzzle. It still sucks. Heck, one could argue that it sucks even more than a traditional LPC, as with those, most folks can figure out that the location is crap. With a puzzle cache, folks won't know that until they solve it. Talk about a let down. Why not utilize a nice, scenic location as the final for a good puzzle?

I'm reminded of the threads where people insisted that caches are lame if they didn't include one item from a list of things. ONe of which was often 'good puzzle'.

...because there is only one mt. everest.

Waymarking might be more your speed since the only caches you seem to accept are ones with scenic locations (and no film cans).

i can only think of two really scenic areas in all of central texas, both have caches. i suppose we are tapped out. crap.

But I really appreciate those rare caches in the great outdoors (just got a couple of those this weekend, for the first time in a long time and it felt so good).

Edit: I'm not saying that the caches in the great outdoors are rare, because at least where I live, there are many of them. I'm meaning that lately, it's rare for me to be able to get them. :):D

Edited by Ambrosia

...because there is only one mt. everest.

Waymarking might be more your speed since the only caches you seem to accept are ones with scenic locations (and no film cans).

i can only think of two really scenic areas in all of central texas, both have caches. i suppose we are tapped out. crap.

Oh c'mon. Central Texas is very scenic! Haven't been there since like 1988 though, can't say for sure. :D

What Sdrawkcab mentions, throwing a micro under a lampskirt for a puzzle cache, is probably fairly common. There are several of these in my area. One guy even put out 4 puzzles at once, and 3 were LPC's. Since I don't cache in store parking lots ever, period, if I suspect a puzzle listed as a micro may end up being an LPC, I will ask the local puzzle expert if that's what they are, and put them on my ignore list.

I doubt very many people share these sentiments though, and go to that length to avoid parking lot caching. :)