New cache - how long until live?

20DollarDude

Hi all

I'm new to this great sport and loving every minute so far.

Just a quick question though - if you place a new cache, how long does it take on average for it to be reviewed and go live? I ask this as I've placed one in an area that is fairly "dry" of caches and so far after three days it is still not live.

Many thanks

Rich (20dollardude)

Three days does seem to be rather a long time. Two things spring to mind:- Firs, did you tick the box on the listing submittal that says the cache is live? Unless that box is ticked it will not go into the review queue and so will not be seen by a reviewer. Second, check the listing to make sure that the reviewer has not asked a question as a log on the cache page. In this case you should get a notification of a log on your cache but as it is your first one there could be e-mail problems. Are you getting other e-mail from Groundspeak OK as there are apparently problems with some ISP's.

If all the above are OK e-mail your local reviewer through his/her profile. To find your local reviewer check a cache near you and see who published it - the first log on the cache. (you may need to click on "Show all logs" to see the first one as by default only the last 5 are shown I think - I use a greasemonkey script that defaults to showing all logs so I'm not sure how many are normally shown.)

Just a final thought. You say that the area is fairly "dry" of caches. Is there a reason for this such as SSSI or SAM etc.?

Edited by Just Roger

Groundspeak set a target of 72 hours for the initial Review of a cache submission, due to Reviewers being Volunteers. However in normal practice, the UK Reviewers tend to average less than 24 hours. But at times things such as illness or work get in the way of that.

In your case it is a Gentleman with Red Shoes, whose in charge of the Worlds Smallest recognised State (that's County not US State :blink: ) who just happens to be visiting the UK. Is keeping your local Reviewer overworked at the moment.

Normal service will soon be resumed. As once The Bee Keeper (who is your local Reviewer) hits the Queue, he will clear it in a Buzz :)

Deci :D

Round here it aint - I am still red faced after recceing site - checking co-ordinates etc and then going home - writing up the cache and submitting it for review and thinking "I'll nip out later and put it out" as it will take some time to review. FTF on scene before I got it put out !!! Oops !! So now ensure cache out before review and even if it takes a day or so if reviewer busy no more red faces

The sun's out.

The reviewers out caching!

Actually.... this reviewer was watching the pilot of the Vulcan bomber try to roll it onto it's back. Wasn't interested in caches or reviewering at this particular moment in time :blink:

Filton Airshow today.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

The sun's out.

The reviewers out caching!

Actually.... this reviewer was watching the pilot of the Vulcan bomber try to roll it onto it's back. Wasn't interested in caches or reviewering at this particular moment in time :blink:

Filton Airshow today.

Chris

Graculus

A-ha!

The Leicestershire Vulcan!

As opposed to the Warwickshire Vulcan, that runs up and down the runway at high speed... :)

We do try to get the review queues done quite quickly. Unfortunately this reviewer has been stuck at work for the past four days. I got back this afternoon to sit down and look at the queue

and

Unfortunately now the magic mapping is having a break.

Once that is all back I shall be going through the queue to help clear it. Although I can thank The Long Man for helping out as I see he has published your cache.

MoleyUK,

I have just had a look at your listing and it looks OK so far. Once my magic map website gets back up to speed after its weekend break I will check that. If that is fine then it should be live very soon.

Regards

The Bee Keeper

Volunteer UK Reviewer - geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources site http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/

** Please include the GC code (or link) and name of any cache you are referring to in your email or reply. Failure to do so may delay your query being dealt with **

And all the reviewers will be in Oxford, I'm guessing!!

Check you've ticked the box to say it's live - otherwise the reviewers won't see it!

Well I'm back from Oxford but as The Bee Keeper has said Magic is down so we can't Finish reviewing until it's up. As soon as the site is back up normal service will be resumed :P

Andy

The Long Man

And all the reviewers will be in Oxford, I'm guessing!!

Check you've ticked the box to say it's live - otherwise the reviewers won't see it!

Well I'm back from Oxford but as The Bee Keeper has said Magic is down so we can't Finish reviewing until it's up. As soon as the site is back up normal service will be resumed :)

Andy

The Long Man

Oh, that is good to hear! :) Hint, hint... :wub::wub::)

MoleyUK,

I have just had a look at your listing and it looks OK so far. Once my magic map website gets back up to speed after its weekend break I will check that. If that is fine then it should be live very soon.

Regards

The Bee Keeper

Volunteer UK Reviewer - geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources site http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/

** Please include the GC code (or link) and name of any cache you are referring to in your email or reply. Failure to do so may delay your query being dealt with **

Thanks Bee Keeper! I'm now live and happy, thanks, and point noted about GC code in correspondence. :)