Suggestion for Travel Bug FAQ

Rubbertoe

I was just looking at the 'how to use a travel bug' page - and I noticed there isn't any mention about keeping the travel bug number a secret.

To most of us, it is obvious that you wouldn't want to reveal a tag number in a picture or in a log, because then ANYONE could enter that number and claim they have that travel bug.

However, I've seen both logs and photos that clearly tell the tag number of a travel bug. Perhaps somewhere in the 'how to' page of travel bugs, there should be bold letters saying DO NOT REVEAL THE TAG NUMBER IN THE ONLINE LOGS OR PHOTOS or something... someone can think of better wording.

But just as they do with revealed serial numbers at wheresgeorge.com - there are gonna be morons out here who have to screw around with someone's travel bugs, giving them fake travels across the world... racking up thousands of bogus miles by just entering the number that is listed in a log, or in an image. Why do they do it? Who knows... they just do. icon_mad.gif

Rubbertoe - Webcam - Image Archives

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--

I would be worrried that someone malicious could create a fake userid and 'take' my bug anywhere they wanted. If people do that just to troll the forums, then how big a leap till they move travel bugs around without actually having them. I know as a travel bug owner, that I check every photo that gets uploaded and will remove any that reveal the tag number.

stealyourcache.jpg

I'm not as young as I used to be...

It takes me all night to do what I used to do all night.

-Dru Morgan www.theheavenlyhost.com/dru

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

It's been said before. We're just waiting for the powers-that-be to respond. icon_razz.gif

I didn't realize that it had already really been discussed like that... I've been reading through the forums so much in the past couple of days, I think my brain is clogged - can't remember what I've read and what I haven't.

Rubbertoe - Webcam - Image Archives

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--

Not so much as an addition to the FAQ, as you suggested, but sc mentions it on his May 12 post in this thread - and the subject continued there.

BTW - I tried the random 6 digit code thing, and in 20 tries, I only came up with one bug, and it wasn't activated yet. I did find a pattern to increase my chances of finding actual bugs, but none of them were active yet...

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers