caches on or very near electrical equipment

Fusilli Jerry

Hi folks,

I've seen a few caches that are either placed on or very near electrical equipment or are meant to resemble electrical equipment. Some of these are very clever hides and quite challenging to spot.

On the other hand, part of me questions whether it's a good idea. Do we want to encourage people to be poking around these things? Yes, I know that MOST people are smart enough not to do something stupid. But most does not equal everyone.

Below is an example of a container meant to closely resemble an electrical box. (Note: I'm not passing judgement on this container. It's just an example.)

I've also seen cache containers that are actually placed on electrical boxes.

Any thoughts on this?

I will say that your post was probably the most reasonable one of the many that have been posted here over the years. At least you're not rabidly against them, predicting death and doom and blackeyes on geocaching, as well as falling skies. Some reviewers (at least in Iowa) will not allow them if they (he) can determine that is what it might be. But my personal opinion is that life has risks, and if I survived crossing the street to get to that cache, odds are that I will also survive the cache.

Some reviewers (at least in Iowa) will not allow them if they (he) can determine that is what it might be.

That was from 2005. In practice it is no longer true.

Too bad in my opinion.

No way. It may have changed, but I started caching in 2005, and I have seen Iowa Reviewer blog postings about it since then, and have also heard stories. If his policy has changed, it is much newer than that.

Some reviewers (at least in Iowa) will not allow them if they (he) can determine that is what it might be.

That was from 2005. In practice it is no longer true.

Too bad in my opinion.

No way. It may have changed, but I started caching in 2005, and I have seen Iowa Reviewer blog postings about it since then, and have also heard stories. If his policy has changed, it is much newer than that.

You're right no Iowa caches, straight on.

I have no problem with fake boxes placed away from live settings.

strictly speaking i can't agree with this. after a cacher found one of those hides, they will be less concerned and more likely to poke around real electrical boxes in the future (not knowing which is which).

strictly speaking i can't agree with this. after a cacher found one of those hides, they will be less concerned and more likely to poke around real electrical boxes in the future (not knowing which is which).

Is this the coverse of once burned, twice shy?

Sorry :blink:

Saw one at Myrtle Beach, SC, last summer. It was an industrial-looking plastic electrical box (not a little residential type) on the ground against a larger (real) utility box. I probably would have left it alone but I saw the top cover was ajar. Inside it was a bundle of wires and under the wires I found the (soaked) cache contents. I didn't like the whole idea much but logged it anyway. Had the box's lid been screwed down tight like the CO intended, I would have left it alone (and the contents would have been dry, too).

i am speaking from personal experience, if that's what you're asking. i did find a cache that was (hidden in) a fake electrical box once. ever since, i often find myself poking at electrical boxes near GZ, but all of them so far have been real. i realized that i wouldn't be doing that if i hadn't found that one cache. i'm sure other cachers are affected the same way.

if that's not what you're asking: no accidents have happened to me.

Edited by dfx

how about an original utilities box, they use them here for phone, which you actually need a screwdriver to open it to get to the box containing the log

opening an electrical box like the one in the youtube video is not going to kill anyone, sticking a screwdriver in a real one might, in that case we'll have to invoke Darwin's Laws

And since geocaching is supposed to be a family activity, we are teaching our young ones that it's okay to go messing around with dangerous equipment. Yes, it's a teaching moment for us parents with young ones, but there's simply no need for it. There are always better places to hide caches. Use some imagination and think if you would want a kid poking around that electrical box. I expect caches near electrical equipment or flammable gas lines are the ones that cause the bomb scares we read about periodically.

how about an original utilities box, they use them here for phone, which you actually need a screwdriver to open it to get to the box containing the log

opening an electrical box like the one in the youtube video is not going to kill anyone, sticking a screwdriver in a real one might, in that case we'll have to invoke Darwin's Laws

So might rappelling down to a cache on a cliffside or scuba diving to an underwater cache. If you don't know what you're doing, stay back.

And since geocaching is supposed to be a family activity, we are teaching our young ones that it's okay to go messing around with dangerous equipment. Yes, it's a teaching moment for us parents with young ones, but there's simply no need for it. There are always better places to hide caches. Use some imagination and think if you would want a kid poking around that electrical box. I expect caches near electrical equipment or flammable gas lines are the ones that cause the bomb scares we read about periodically.

its just a fake electrical box, no need to blow it out of proportion and claim is near electrical equipment or flammable gas lines

kids should know they are not to touch any such equipment and let parents deal with it

so how about that cache that is in something like a former nuclear reactor, with an extremely high level of radioactivity?

So might rappelling down to a cache on a cliffside or scuba diving to an underwater cache. If you don't know what you're doing, stay back.

exactly my point, thank you

Personally, I believe the OP isn't terribly interested in our opinions about this topic, he primarily wants us to click on the link to the Youtube video to see the advertisement about his online geocache supply store.

Now, I am not saying I have a problem with this. In fact, starting this post was a brilliant marketing move. I can tell you the first thing I did was watch the Youtube video and the second thing I did was check out his site. I would suspect several others have done the same, so I'd say it worked.

And best of all, no one has shown any animosity toward him like they may have if he had simply posted "Hey, come check out my online geocache store!"

Also, I suppose I should mention that his store is full of nice supplies at reasonable prices, so you may as well visit it anyway.

Personally, I believe the OP isn't terribly interested in our opinions about this topic, he primarily wants us to click on the link to the Youtube video to see the advertisement about his online geocache supply store.

Now, I am not saying I have a problem with this. In fact, starting this post was a brilliant marketing move. I can tell you the first thing I did was watch the Youtube video and the second thing I did was check out his site. I would suspect several others have done the same, so I'd say it worked.

And best of all, no one has shown any animosity toward him like they may have if he had simply posted "Hey, come check out my online geocache store!"

Also, I suppose I should mention that his store is full of nice supplies at reasonable prices, so you may as well visit it anyway.

i am in no way affiliated with that store. it was simply an example. have you been drinking?

i am speaking from personal experience, if that's what you're asking. i did find a cache that was (hidden in) a fake electrical box once. ever since, i often find myself poking at electrical boxes near GZ, but all of them so far have been real. i realized that i wouldn't be doing that if i hadn't found that one cache. i'm sure other cachers are affected the same way.

Why did you look at that first one that was fake?

I didn't click. Does he sell fake electrical boxes?

its just a fake electrical box, no need to blow it out of proportion and claim is near electrical equipment or flammable gas lines

The point was that fake ones embolden people to go messing around with real ones. If it's pretty obviously fake and nowhere near where there would be any real equipment then it might be okay. But often, the fake ones are sitting right next to the real ones (which make them look more real).

kids should know they are not to touch any such equipment and let parents deal with it

Yes, kids should know a lot of things. But very often they don't. And sometimes their parents aren't any better. I would not want to be the cacher who hid a cache near an electrical box where a kid got zapped--even if he was a stupid kid with stupid parents. (Or where the police were called because of a bomb scare.)

so how about that cache that is in something like a former nuclear reactor, with an extremely high level of radioactivity?

I don't know of that cache, but I assume that if there is really a cache in a former nuclear reactor with an extremely high level of radioactivity that it is properly rated in the difficulty and terrain categories and that the cache description specifies what equipment you would need. I don't expect most parents would bring their kids to that one. Same with repelling down a cliff or SCUBA diving. I have no problem with caches in dangerous locations as long as they're spelled out and inform the cacher of the risks. But when you put a silver container on an electrical box and call it a 1.5/1, you are inviting kids to come poke around electrical equipment. My point is that there are better ways to play.

The fake electrical box isn't even clever anymore.

i am in no way affiliated with that store. it was simply an example. have you been drinking?

Well, it is Friday night, you know. I got a Natty light in front of me as I'm typing this. :)

I predict Mushtang will arrive by post no. 36 to set us straight on this subject. :blink:

If the topic is near (or on) real electrical equipment, yes, I'm generally against it. Sure, the stuff isn't cordoned off or anything in most cases. But how many people went around sticking their hands all over it before Geocaching? Or tried to open it?

Personally, I believe the OP isn't terribly interested in our opinions about this topic, he primarily wants us to click on the link to the Youtube video to see the advertisement about his online geocache supply store. ...snip...

Personally, I know you are wrong.

Anyway, FJ's concern is a valid one. Caches should not be hidden on electrical equipment. First off, it is nearly always private property. I don't know any reviewer who would knowingly publish caches hidden on electrical equipment without permission from the equipment owner. It is also a bad idea to be poking around electrical equipment. It is usually safe, but you never know. All you need is for one sloppy electrician to leave a few loose ends hanging around for a potentially deadly situation .

As far as fake equipment such as the one in the video, I'm not crazy about it. There is obviously no danger from fake junction boxes and outlets, but I know once a geocacher finds a cache in a fake anything, from then on the real thing becomes a potential hiding spot that he will likely check out, whether it is a sprinkler head, bird house, or an electrical box.

I have a great idea for a new cache - a mystery cache, of course.

The cache is hidden on/near electrical equipment and is fake, but the kicker is that it will be fully powered with 115 volts (or 225, if you like). There will be a light showing that it is active. There will be a ground fault detector attached to an outlet that you have to trip - maybe stick a screwdriver into the socket to do it. Once the GFI trips the cache door will open.

The biggest problem is that the finder will have to be asked to reset the ground fault switch before leaving and I'm afraid some will not...

So how can I get a GFI switch to automatically reset? Do they make "soft" GFIs that I can have reset on a timer or I can do remotely?

There is obviously no danger from fake junction boxes and outlets, but I know once a geocacher finds a cache in a fake anything, from then on the real thing becomes a potential hiding spot that he will likely check out, whether it is a sprinkler head, bird house, or an electrical box.

So I still want to know "How do they found the first fake one ir they aren't already checking out sprinkler heads, bird houses, or electrical boxes?"

It's these kinds of topics, which try to make one set of people responsible for the actions of a second set of people, which really irk me. Don't hide a certain cache, even if it's completely legal, because some idiot might copy it and get in trouble. Don't hide anything resembling anything electrical, because some idiot might get zapped later on. How about we leave it at you're responsible for your own person (and your kids, if you have them), and nobody else. If someone does something stupid, it's their fault, don't try to make someone else responsible.

I predict that if someone is ever electrocuted while geocaching it will be by a faulty parking lot light pole or stepping on a manhole on the way to a cache.

Most commercial lighting is 277volts. Many times that skirt could allow contact with the wiring if something were shoved under the mounting plate. MOST of the time the wire is installated so no shocks. However, I once found a cache which was a bison shoved into an electrical LB at a light pole. The end of the metal bison was a fraction of an inch from a BARE LIVE 277v line (I'm an electrician and I checked). The cache owner thought best to archive that hide. The owner of the lamp post had to make repairs (I didn't get the job).

The first time I ever found a piece of fake electrical equipment, I was in awe. I think they must be more common in my area, because I've seen them on a number of occasions. If something electrical is near ground zero, you can bet I'm searching for it.

Of course, the very first time I found an LPC, I was in awe...and it took me THREE separate attempts to find it! Granted, in those days, the Magellan handheld I had gave me a significant radius to search!

I have a great idea for a new cache - a mystery cache, of course.

The cache is hidden on/near electrical equipment and is fake, but the kicker is that it will be fully powered with 115 volts (or 225, if you like). There will be a light showing that it is active. There will be a ground fault detector attached to an outlet that you have to trip - maybe stick a screwdriver into the socket to do it. Once the GFI trips the cache door will open.

The biggest problem is that the finder will have to be asked to reset the ground fault switch before leaving and I'm afraid some will not...

So how can I get a GFI switch to automatically reset? Do they make "soft" GFIs that I can have reset on a timer or I can do remotely?

make it so when the door is closed, it resets the switch.

There is obviously no danger from fake junction boxes and outlets, but I know once a geocacher finds a cache in a fake anything, from then on the real thing becomes a potential hiding spot that he will likely check out, whether it is a sprinkler head, bird house, or an electrical box.

So I still want to know "How do they found the first fake one ir they aren't already checking out sprinkler heads, bird houses, or electrical boxes?"

For me it was something that was totally out of place. An electrical box in a place that made no sense for there to be one, a sprinkler head where there were no others, a nice, new bird house in the middle of the woods.

Being someone who has worked around 120,240,277 and 480 electric you really don't want to be hit by it. I have had the pleasure of being zapped by 277 and it is not fun. I have found one electric type box cache but when I look for a cache I am very cautious if I think it is near any type of power line or box. Honestly the one I did find was obvious that it was fake but if I look around for a cache and I see electrical equipment and I can not determine it is fake by looking at it I will not touch it.

Edited by Team_Searchgeo

Hi folks,

I've seen a few caches that are either placed on or very near electrical equipment or are meant to resemble electrical equipment. Some of these are very clever hides and quite challenging to spot.

On the other hand, part of me questions whether it's a good idea. Do we want to encourage people to be poking around these things? Yes, I know that MOST people are smart enough not to do something stupid. But most does not equal everyone.

Below is an example of a container meant to closely resemble an electrical box. (Note: I'm not passing judgement on this container. It's just an example.)

Any thoughts on this?

Have you also noticed that the government is still allowing the sale of those very dangerous transportation devices called cars and trucks?

The point was that fake ones embolden people to go messing around with real ones.

Is this based upon personal experience, or supposition? In my experience, it isn't that hard to tell the difference between real and fake.

Hi folks,

Any thoughts on this?

Yes I think it is a bad idea. Anything around power can be dangerous. Especially with kids. I hate it when I find myself in an area like this. If police or business owners observe you. You'll be answering questions. And taking apart electrical components looking for a cache is ridiculus. My opinion.

exactly my point, thank you

Yes! I agree. Caching has something for everyone. There are family friendly caches and there are caches for people who are thrill and adventure seekers, and there are some caches that are dangerous. Just make an informed decision, and if you're a family cacher, read the cache pages and decide which ones look safe for your little ones.

Not all caches are kid/family friendly. Just like all other activities in life, evaluate the situation and then make your choice on how to proceed.

Have you also noticed that the government is still allowing the sale of those very dangerous transportation devices called cars and trucks?

wow dude. you come off as a total tool when you reply with a comment like that

DUCY?

It was just a joke, I get your point....but I am a total tool, so thanks.

You should consider changing your name to Leatherman, then! :)

Obligatory repost:

Johnnygeo's Geocaching Electrical Safety Blog

Excellent - and somewhat scary - reading.

Thanks for posting this. Interesting information.

i have a fake electrical box as a cache in my yard. It's obviously fake and i would hope parents make wise decisions whether they allow their kids to find it.

The blog makes me aware that i should be more careful when searching around real electrical stuff and LPs. Scary!

I actually went out and found the cache the OP was speaking of, he being something of a homeboy to me, and he was right on the mark. The finder before me posted a note , not the OP, and it called it to my attention as it was near home, so on way home from work I stopped. The real problem was that the electrical work was awful, I was actually amazed that it had been passed. Outdoors, mounted on metal sign post, open live boxes, wires un secured , boxes fixed to the post with hose clamps. I am no electrician, but in my youth I worked the trades and the OP had reason to inquire. I also note that the hider is relatively new and has generated some comment on his hides and their appropriateness--but that is another story.

I always find it amazing how little regard the general public has for high voltage electricity. Think about how many times have you seen kids at a bus stop or adults for that matter sitting and waiting on a green transformer cover. So no, it does not surprise me that people are placing geocaches in dangerous areas.

I recently went to find a cache that was supposedly attached to a transformer box with a magnet. As far as I could tell it was actually placed in between two cabinets and you had to reach up between them to get it. I didn't even attempt it. :)

I always find it amazing how little regard the general public has for high voltage electricity. Think about how many times have you seen kids at a bus stop or adults for that matter sitting and waiting on a green transformer cover. So no, it does not surprise me that people are placing geocaches in dangerous areas.

I recently went to find a cache that was supposedly attached to a transformer box with a magnet. As far as I could tell it was actually placed in between two cabinets and you had to reach up between them to get it. I didn't even attempt it. :)

Its shocking.

I always find it amazing how little regard the general public has for high voltage electricity.

I:)

I find it amazing how little knowledge the public has in general about any utility infrastructure. They're either oblivious to the hazards or scared to death of it. Putting your hands on or near an electrical cabinet is not dangerous, they're designed to prevent you from accidentally coming in contact with the energized equipment.

Likewise, you should have enough respect for it not to go unscrewing or opening things that are clearly meant to stay closed.

Cache hides are perfectly safe as long as they don't require opening the equipment. When hiders start to cross that line (perhaps due to their own lack of knowledge) that's where we run into problems.

I find it amazing how little knowledge the public has in general about any utility infrastructure. They're either oblivious to the hazards or scared to death of it.

Many peoples' knowledge falls somewhere between the extremes. The world isn't a black-and-white place. It's full of grays...and even colors.

Cache hides are perfectly safe as long as they don't require opening the equipment.

Not perfectly safe. You might want to check out this blog, where it notes:

Cars hit this type of equipment all the time by drivers (possibly drunk) and the hit equipment is not reported right-away. If damaged the equipment can be sitting there with their metal case energized. As soon as a person touches a piece of equipment they would be electrocuted.

Vandals destroy electrical equipment just for the fun of it and copper thieves steal valuable copper from inside the equipment and leave it in very dangerous condition. This scenario is occurring more and more.