Identifying scat

NYPaddleCacher

Would anyone here be able to identify a photo of what I believe may be bear scat?

I had was out looking for a new cache today and on the way back to my vehicle I came across some scat that looked to be too big for a deer or dog and it was in a spot where there wouldn't be any cows or horses. I took a photo (which I can post) and compared it to some images I found on the 'net and it looks pretty close.

I know that there are black bear in my area (one walked through my inlaws property last year) but this was about 50' from where my son was taking an after school class.

What also made the incident interesting was I was looking for a cache that was somewhat of a needle in a haystack. After searching for awhile I gave up and headed back to my car. During the search I grabbed something that assumed was left by someone else in the area and was doing a bit of CITO. After I got home I was thinking that I needed to log my DNF and remembered the CITO in my pocket. I took it out, opened it up and discovered that I had the cache. Now, I've got to go back out tomorrow and replace the cache and log the FTF.

Some points often used in Bear training around these parts...

>>text

The best bear defence is noise.

Most bears, particularly bears in hunting areas, avoid man at all costs.

There are just three really unpredictable bear types:

1.) A sow with cubs.

2.) A bear on a kill and

3.) All the rest of 'em.

====

Ranger tells everyone to wear bells around their neck and carry pepper spray to ward off bear attack. The bells alert the bears to your presence and the spray is a last ditch, ten feet, "hail Mary", when all else fails.

He tells the hikers that there are two kinds of bears in the area: Grizzlies and Black bears.

He then tells them that they need to recognize the bear's scat so they can tell the two species apart.

He says that black bears are much less likely to attack, so when they see black bear scat, they may continue. But if they encounter grizzly scat, they should give the area a wide berth.

A tourist asks how to tell the difference.

The ranger replies," Easy, black bears are grazers, more than fish eaters. The black bear scat is usually full of blackberry seeds, hackberrys and acorns and other plant life and it smells like almonds.

Grizzly scat is larger, is full of bells and smells like pepper spray....

endtext <<

Doug 7rxc

Yup! You got bear scat. No doubt about it. That is not a full grow bear either or does it look small to everyone else?

Perhaps the size and quantiy can be attributed to where I found it. As I said, it was about 50-100' or so from a building where my son (along with about 40 other kids between 4-12 years old). The building is located in town but there was a direct path from a woody area. If the bear was hungry it might wander closer to civilization than it normally would.

We were camping at Eighth Lake (Adirondacks) one year I took My wife, mother/father in law brother/sister in law and nephew one a short hike to bug lake. We came across what I knew was bear scat but my brother in law said "no way its a dog" I got a stick,, poked it to open it up some and told them all,,, Dogs dont eat fish with the scales still on! I now hike (and cache) by my self! :blink:

Some points often used in Bear training around these parts...

>>text

The best bear defence is noise.

Most bears, particularly bears in hunting areas, avoid man at all costs.

There are just three really unpredictable bear types:

1.) A sow with cubs.

2.) A bear on a kill and

3.) All the rest of 'em.

====

Ranger tells everyone to wear bells around their neck and carry pepper spray to ward off bear attack. The bells alert the bears to your presence and the spray is a last ditch, ten feet, "hail Mary", when all else fails.

He tells the hikers that there are two kinds of bears in the area: Grizzlies and Black bears.

He then tells them that they need to recognize the bear's scat so they can tell the two species apart.

He says that black bears are much less likely to attack, so when they see black bear scat, they may continue. But if they encounter grizzly scat, they should give the area a wide berth.

A tourist asks how to tell the difference.

The ranger replies," Easy, black bears are grazers, more than fish eaters. The black bear scat is usually full of blackberry seeds, hackberrys and acorns and other plant life and it smells like almonds.

Grizzly scat is larger, is full of bells and smells like pepper spray....

endtext <<

Doug 7rxc

TOO FUNNY :) I tell my wife that. The bells are to let the bears know its dinner time and the pepper spay is like the hot sauce, just spay yourself before you get eaten. :blink:

Would anyone here be able to identify a photo of what I believe may be bear scat?

I had was out looking for a new cache today and on the way back to my vehicle I came across some scat that looked to be too big for a deer or dog and it was in a spot where there wouldn't be any cows or horses. I took a photo (which I can post) and compared it to some images I found on the 'net and it looks pretty close.

I know that there are black bear in my area (one walked through my inlaws property last year) but this was about 50' from where my son was taking an after school class.

What also made the incident interesting was I was looking for a cache that was somewhat of a needle in a haystack. After searching for awhile I gave up and headed back to my car. During the search I grabbed something that assumed was left by someone else in the area and was doing a bit of CITO. After I got home I was thinking that I needed to log my DNF and remembered the CITO in my pocket. I took it out, opened it up and discovered that I had the cache. Now, I've got to go back out tomorrow and replace the cache and log the FTF.

Perhaps you could use this: Tequila's Field Guide to Scat