Cache names on the logs

hoosier guy

Went out today to find a couple caches in a graveyard. One was missing and the other had two containers. Descriptions for both said we were looking for something ~35mm size and both containers were ~35mm size.

Suspect that one possible explanation could have been one was moved to the other cache.

Earlier in the year I found a cache in bad shape and sent the CO an email about it. He sent one back that the cache was in good shape & where it was suppose to be. Turns out I had found an abandoned one near his cache.

I think it would help if the CO would put the cache name on the log. There are several COs around here that do this. Knowing the name would have helped me with both these caches.

The cache name and the release date, in case the cache was replaced but the name stayed the same.

Not a bad idea, but it probably won't catch on. :blink:

Fact is caches need to be properly labeled stating it's a cache, website link, owner name, cache name and gc code.

Edited by BlueDeuce

The cache name and the release date, in case the cache was replaced but the name stayed the same.

Fact is caches need to be properly labeled stating it's a cache, website link, owner name, cache name and gc code.

That's sometimes hard to do, as the cache is hidden before the page is set up. I've even seen name changes from the time the cache was placed and published, so that doesn't always help...

I put the cache name and my name on the top of the log sheet.

I do that because I have the name of the cache picked out/thought up BEFORE I place the new cache.

And then, just for good measure, the first chance I get I also add the GC number...well, ok, the other day I got a 'PAF' call on my brand new cache, so I got the FTF to add the GC number..it was the least he could do since I had to lead him to the right tree... :) they were a whole 6' apart.... :blink:

That's sometimes hard to do, as the cache is hidden before the page is set up. I've even seen name changes from the time the cache was placed and published, so that doesn't always help...

Okay well, cache maintenance time would be the next opportunity. You gotta have something rather than nothing.

Great in theory, really great, as a matter of fact. But very rarely done, at least in my neck of the woods (my own caches included).

That's sometimes hard to do, as the cache is hidden before the page is set up.

When I'm planning to hide a new cache, I set up the cache page (and as a result get a GC number) before I even hide the cache itself. I just don't click the little box that says the cache is active (triggering the review process) until everything is in place. As long as the "is active" box isn't checked, you can change anything you like on the page (name, location, cache type, whatever). By using this procedure, I can include all the information that's needed, including GC number and cache name, in the cache before I hide it.

Although I'm not sure I'd recommend it, you can grab up as many GC numbers as you like any time you like, simply by setting up cache pages and not submitting them for review.

--Larry

I always put a note on the first page of the log book that says "Congratulations! You found nameofcache which was placed on dateofplacement"

Recently, a cacher from my area placed a power trail and gave every cache the same name. She didn't even number them. I think it's going to be a source of confusion for geocachers.

Why would anyone hide a cache and not put the name of the cache and the hide date in there?

I've got some micros and nanos and even put the name in those.

this is not difficult

and it would help other cachers. Might even help the CO if some one could give them better information about the cache.

If a non-cachers find it, and contacts you to say "I moved your box..."

If you only have one cache hide, not a problem knowing which cache.

Dozens of hides "I moved your box..." :blink:

Why would anyone hide a cache and not put the name of the cache and the hide date in there?

this is not difficult

Because I usually don't think of the name until I'm submitting the cache, that's why. I'll usually write the hidden date on the inside cover of the logbook.

this is not difficult

Because I usually don't think of the name until I'm submitting the cache, that's why. I'll usually write the hidden date on the inside cover of the logbook.

"Okay well, cache maintenance time would be the next opportunity. You gotta have something rather than nothing."

There is a good idea, when you are checking on it write the name down. I still think for a small action it could be a big service to fellowcachers.

Edited by hoosier guy