Reserving a cache location

42at42

How long can a spot be held?

I submitted a cache location about six months ago. I was told it was too close to a cache that has not been published yet.

Six months later there is still no cache there. Four months ago I inquired about this location again. I was told the same thing. I then asked, how long a location can be reserved for a future cache and was told , I am paraphrasing 'as long as they want'.

Is this normal practise?

I submitted a cache location about six months ago. I was told it was too close to a cache that has not been published yet.

Six months later there is still no cache there. Four months ago I inquired about this location again. I was told the same thing. I then asked, how long a location can be reserved for a future cache and was told , I am paraphrasing 'as long as they want'.

Is this normal practise?

I had a cache that I had accidentaly reserved a location. My reviewer archived it about 1 year later when someone else submitted a cache near by. No notice or anything (which was fine, I had changed my mind about the location anyway). I suspect each reviewer has their own "standard practeces" on this subject.

I think it is up to the reviewer. We put out a cache and this happened to us. The reviewer contacted them to see if they were still using that spot and they said no so our cache was published. Maybe contact the reviewer to see if the other cacher is going to use that spot still. Our reviewers do a great job aroung here. Never hurts to ask.

Is this normal practise?

Hmmm.

My thoughts...

I suggest re-submitting your cache.

If it is once again declined because of the unpublished cache I would explain to your reviewer that you've waited patiently for 6 months and please could he/she help you understand what the big hold-up is with getting the other cache published? Maybe some rather complicated permission is required for that location?

Once you've waited 8-9 months if you still feel you're getting nowhere it might be worth putting your case to appeals@geocaching.com

MrsB

Is this normal practise?

Hmmm.

My thoughts...

I suggest re-submitting your cache.

If it is once again declined because of the unpublished cache I would explain to your reviewer that you've waited patiently for 6 months and please could he/she help you understand what the big hold-up is with getting the other cache published? Maybe some rather complicated permission is required for that location?

Once you've waited 8-9 months if you still feel you're getting nowhere it might be worth putting your case to appeals@geocaching.com

MrsB

I think 6 months is more than enough. If it gets rejected again I'd go right to the appeals email.

This is obscene. Unless the other CO is planning something really spectacular, a-la "Psycho Urban Series", it should not take more than a week to plant your cache and write up the description.

Many geocachers take far longer than a week to set up their caches. The permission process for some land managers may take months. Event organizers begin hiding event-related caches months in advance of their event, often involving a puzzle or scavenger hunt requiring elaborate preparation. Those efforts can't be foiled by a roadside throwdown two weeks prior to the event.

So, please avoid sweeping generalizations and dramatic labels like "obscene." It's only a game.

This is obscene. Unless the other CO is planning something really spectacular, a-la "Psycho Urban Series", it should not take more than a week to plant your cache and write up the description.

Many geocachers take far longer than a week to set up their caches. The permission process for some land managers may take months. Event organizers begin hiding event-related caches months in advance of their event, often involving a puzzle or scavenger hunt requiring elaborate preparation. Those efforts can't be foiled by a roadside throwdown two weeks prior to the event.

So, please avoid sweeping generalizations and dramatic labels like "obscene." It's only a game.

I agree but should the reviewer not tell the person wanting to place a cache there the reason they can't ?

Maybe say "hey... a person is working on this location and it may take awhile..."?

And yes, It is just a game to us. But to Groundspeak and the people that represent Groundspeak it is a business.

A little customer service is never a bad thing.

Edited by brslk

I agree but should the reviewer not tell the person wanting to place a cache there the reason they can't ?

Maybe say "hey... a person is working on this location and it may take awhile..."?

And yes, It is just a game to us. But to Groundspeak and the people that represent Groundspeak it is a business.

I emailed again and I was told,

"The spot is still being planned to be used. The cache is being worked on.

Sorry,

THE REVIEWER"

I think holding a spot for six months is a little excessive.

Yep, customer service is a good thing. That is why, whenever this happens, I communicate the following note (customized if necessary):

Hello,

There will be a slight delay with reviewing your submission. Someone else has already created a "draft" cache page for a cache in the immediate vicinity. I have written to the other geocacher asking about their intentions for this spot. If they plan on proceeding with a hide here, their page will be given priority over yours because it has a lower GC Code.

I will let you know once I hear back from the other cache owner.

Regards,

Keystone

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer

Hello,

There will be a slight delay with reviewing your submission. Someone else has already created a "draft" cache page for a cache in the immediate vicinity. I have written to the other geocacher asking about their intentions for this spot. If they plan on proceeding with a hide here, their page will be given priority over yours because it has a lower GC Code.

I will let you know once I hear back from the other cache owner.

Regards,

Keystone

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer

But how long will you give this person?

Edited by 42at42

Which person?

The event organizer laying out caches months in advance, that fit into a scavenger hunt?

The developer of a 50 cache series that's an elaborate game of "Clue"?

The guy who's trying to persuade a park system to allow geocaches, and is waiting for his meeting next month with the town council?

The nice lady who hid a cache to celebrate her sister's 1000th find, and is just waiting on Sis to score the milestone?

The poor soul who has waited 18 months since he filled out the application form for a permit from the State Forest under their geocaching policy? (True story)

Or are you asking about someone else?

Once I know which cache you are talking about, I can give you an answer.

Which person?

The event organizer laying out caches months in advance, that fit into a scavenger hunt?

The developer of a 50 cache series that's an elaborate game of "Clue"?

The guy who's trying to persuade a park system to allow geocaches, and is waiting for his meeting next month with the town council?

The nice lady who hid a cache to celebrate her sister's 1000th find, and is just waiting on Sis to score the milestone?

The poor soul who has waited 18 months since he filled out the application form for a permit from the State Forest under their geocaching policy? (True story)

Or are you asking about someone else?

Once I know which cache you are talking about, I can give you an answer.

Once I know which cache I am talking about I will tell you, I may have an answer by then as to why it took more than six months to hide this cache.. But for now, this area is off limits to all but one cache hider.