preimum cache gone :( really bothered by this

Ampresearch

Well I started hiding caches. i made one that i consider a nicer then the norm type. not super fancy or anything but more then just a plastic box. Because of this I made it a member’s only cache. I assumed this would help protect it from total selfish jerks that like to take thing that don’t belong to them.

i put up the listing last weekend. if was off to a slow start with no DNF's no activity hardly at all. Well yesterday we got a DNF. I want to be a good hider to i went out to check on it within a few hours. Sadly it was gone. i looked al over and it is 100% not their.

The problem i have is this. It was in an area that no person would go without a reason. I cant think of any reason any person would be in this area. I am convinced that it was a member that read the page. Needless to say this was a huge turn off to the hobby. We put a lot of time into this one we filled with lots of swag and trackables and were very excited about it. The fun was stripped away in a second. Really disappointing.

Is this common? Is this why you don’t find many nice caches? Here is a shot of the cache that’s gone missing. Sure wish I would wrap my head around why someone would take it. Especially a member.

Not reall sure why I posted this. I guess I was just looking for some reassurance

this cryptex was placed inside a large bear shaped plastic container (hence the cache name) was hidden about a half mile out in the woods in a heavy brush area inside the container was LOTS of kids swag long with the cryptex

vicious_bearcachepageREADY.jpg

certificatepictures.jpg

Sorry to hear about that. I also have made some nice caches. I also made them Premium only hopeing only serious geocachers would find them. Currently I have 17 caches. So far everyone has taken great care of them. I would be sad if something happened to them. I'm prepared for it though.

got the new one all done. I am kinda worried about putting this one out but i plan to dive in and give it a shot one last time. I like this one alot more then the last. it several inched longer and also a bit larger pipe diameter. the goal was a metal/mythical/metalic looking paint job. the ends have a compass rose carved in them with an L and a R to show which side you should hold in which hand.

finishedcrypexwhole.jpg

cryptexside2.jpg

cryptexside.jpg

cryptexrose.jpg

Edited by Ampresearch

got the new one all done. I am kinda worried about putting this one out but i plan to dive in and give it a shot one last time. I like this one alot more then the last. it several inched longer and also a bit larger pipe diameter. the goal was a metal/mythical/metalic looking paint job. the ends have a compass rose carved in them with an L and a R to show which side you should hold in which hand.

finishedcrypexwhole.jpg

cryptexside2.jpg

cryptexside.jpg

cryptexrose.jpg

Very Nice! Wished I lived in your area.

finishedcrypexwhole.jpg

cryptexside2.jpg

cryptexside.jpg

cryptexrose.jpg

Very Nice! Wished I lived in your area.

so is the code to open it "revenge"

That looks fantastic. What a thing to find at the end of the cache hunt. I can't see anyone failing to be impressed by that.

Oh why am I so useless at making things! I have looked at those instructions you pointed me to but very soon realised that if I were to attempt it, I would end up with a blob of plastic covered in a big blob of glue with some bolts sticking out of it.

I would definitely try a different spot and make sure it is well hidden regardless of how off the beaten path you think your hiding place is.

Looks great BTW.

finishedcrypexwhole.jpg

that is AWESOME! i'm completely jealous of your skill with the dremel and paint.

there is nothing on the outside of it though to tell those potential muggles that they are taking something which is supposed to be there.

had i run across that in my muggle days, i likely would have taken it too.

that is AWESOME! i'm completely jealous of your skill with the dremel and paint.

there is nothing on the outside of it though to tell those potential muggles that they are taking something which is supposed to be there.

had i run across that in my muggle days, i likely would have taken it too.

thanks a bumch.

this goes INSIDE another container and that container is very well marked with several items expalining geocaching. there is algo an instruction log on how to use the crytex that also talks about geocaching. I even put my phone number in hopes if it does get moved that an honest person will do the right thing

Edited by Ampresearch

Alright. I just replaced the cache and its ready to go again. this time i made sure it would blend right in to it environment and also put it way out in a place i am sure will be a muggle free zone. the only reason someone would go here is looking for this cache. i had to update the terrain since now bush whacking is a must but I'm still happy with the placement. sure hope this one last a bit longer and atleast gets found this this time.

For the record, I just found Ampresearch's replacement cryptex today (no, not FTF - there were about 10 other names before me), along with one of his other hides nearby, and I can confirm that it looks even better in person than it does in the photos. Not only that, but even his outer container was pretty cool and the chosen location was beautiful and somewhere I had never been despite living within a half mile of GZ for 26 years. I look forward to many more great caches from him, and if this is what we got with less than 50 finds, I can only begin to imagine what kinds of things he will come up with as he gets more experience. And now that I have sufficiently embarrassed Amp, back to your regularly scheduled caching.

Edited by Nightshade13

Glad to see you got another one out there.

We recently had a puzzle logbook go missing near Montgomery, it showed back up a week later. Apparently someone just needed to take it home for further analysis. I don't think they've logged it online, though.

When we were in Germany, I was just finishing a multi around a ruined castle when I saw a supicious pile of rocks by a hollow at the bottom of a tree. Surprise surprise, it was a cache -- but it was only 100 feet from the final of the other. I looked through the log and it was last found three years earlier. Turns out it had been muggled, but then whoever stole it put it back right where they found it.

So, you never know. I wouldn't hold my breath that it's coming back, but it could happen.